Will You Guys Support/purchase Sakura Wars VI?

One week away from release now. I don't know. I will get the game but I'm setting myself up for disappointment because my first ever Sakura Wars game will not have a turn-based fighting system. :rolleyes:

Didn’t RGG design the combat? Could be fun!

Amazon AU just charged my card...I forgot I even had this pre-ordered to be honest. Oh well, another to add to the Quarantine Gaming pile. Mildly curious to check it out. Have no history with this franchise (I have not played the fan translated patched versions of the Saturn game)

Didn’t RGG design the combat? Could be fun!
They did, if memory serves me right. Some guys from Overworks went over to RGG to help out with Yakuza 7's combat in exchange.

It's just that I'm a Persona guy and a Phantasy Star (Offline) guy and I was looking forward to the first Western release of a Sakura Wars game I could play only to find out they dropped the signature turn-based fighting this time around.

The game itself doesn't look bad though, at least from what I've seen, so Im still very much looking forward to it.

If it ever happens to come to PC, I will likely get it. I've played the first fours games before. Sakura Taisen 3 on the Dreamcast was really great. I'm not really into dating sim games, and the strategy battles in the first two games on the Saturn are kind of basic, but the ARMS system in the third and fourth games were fantastic, and I enjoyed the story a bit more in the third game, as well.

I'm not really a fan of the change in art director, but it's really interesting to me that Sega actually brought back Hiroi Ouji to release a new game in the franchise after all this time. Not sure I really like the combat. The ARMS system was practically flawless. I would rather have strategic battles, than button mashing. It's also just really, really difficult for me to get over the character designs.

One other thing is that It kind of bothers me a little that they updated the kinematron to a smartphone device. The series' relationship with technology has sent my electrical engineer's brain into a frenzy at times, anyway, but I just don't dwell on it. It's hard to ignore a steam powered smartphone, though.

I don't think I'll buy it, I like the music and character design (mostly from PXZ days) but it is like Valkirye to me, not interesting enough. That said I hope the game sell well.

You mean Valkyria Chronicles? Yeah, it does look kind of similar.
Yeah, that one. It looks similar to me in many aspects. Also as much as I like Sega not all Sega products are for me. But I hope it finds a niche and can be profitable

I think Sakura Wars has always been with Overworks, even in the Dreamcast and Saturn eras. They may not yet have been called Overworks in the Saturn days though. Since Skies of Arcadia and Valkyria Chronicles are also Overworks games, it does make sense, they'd share similar art styles. One of my favorite studios within Sega along with AM 2 and RGG Studio.

So... is it any good? I'm kinda intrigued. Reviews seem a little mixed though, particularly from fans of the series. I've never played a Sakura Wars game though. Eurogamer seemed to really like it and I tend to agree with a lot of their reviews.

Back