Wonderful 101 Remastered KickStarter...

Hello,

I wanted to discuss something which has been bothering me since I saw it in the news today and that is regarding the Wonderful 101 Remaster being crowd funded on KickStarter.

Now many of us put our money and hopes into reviving Shenmue III via the KickStarter (Or so I hope!) & I feel that was genuinely the only way we ever to would ever get a chance for the story to go on. I'm proud to be a part of that and the contribution I made.

Yet today, I see Platinum Games - A company which can comfortably say is within the higher range of AA game developers, pushing for a crowd funding of their port for Wonderful 101. I can't see anyway this is justified. Platinum games have had mostly positive success within the last 10 years in the industry ( A few duds like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game sure), but mostly pretty successful. They have very well established bonds with other companies in the past from Konami, Square-Enix, SEGA & Nintendo. What is worse is that Platinum Game have already had one of their games ported to the Switch! With Bayonetta 1 & 2! I simply don't see how a game like this needs the support of fans to push it in existence.

On top of that, you then have this month, SEGA's produced double pack of Vanquish & Bayonnetta for PS4 & Xbox One didn't go through this process. And don't get me wrong, I love Remasters - Utterly stocked for the Yakuza 3-5 Collection this month. But I can get over the ethics of this situation - Two large companies abusing this crowd funding process which is built to support projects from the ground up. I hope to god this doesn't become an Industry standard going forward.

I'd totally understand if this way Platinum Games not getting the support for a sequel and having to prove that the audience is there, but for a HD port this process seems way over the top - like I said before with Bayonnetta being ported to Switch already.

EDIT: I also just read that the game is set to release in April... so is the work already done?

So that's my take on the matter, but I'm curious to see how other Shenmue III backers feel on the matter.

Last edited:
Hello,

I wanted to discuss something which has been bothering me since I saw it in the news today and that is regarding the Wonderful 101 Remaster being crowd funded on KickStarter.

Now many of us put our money and hopes into reviving Shenmue III via the KickStarter (Or so I hope!) & I feel that was genuinely the only way we ever to would ever get a chance for the story to go on. I'm proud to be a part of that and the contribution I made.

Yet today, I see Platinum Games - A company which can comfortably say is within the higher range of AA game developers, pushing for a crowd funding of their port for Wonderful 101. I can't see anyway this is justified. Platinum games have had mostly positive success within the last 10 years in the industry ( A few duds like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game sure), but mostly pretty successful. They have very well established bonds with other companies in the past from Konami, Square-Enix, SEGA & Nintendo. What is worse is that Platinum Game have already had one of their games ported to the Switch! With Bayonetta 1 & 2! I simply don't see how a game like this needs the support of fans to push it in existence.

On top of that, you then have this month, SEGA's produced double pack of Vanquish & Bayonnetta for PS4 & Xbox One didn't go through this process. And don't get me wrong, I love Remasters - Utterly stocked for the Yakuza 3-5 Collection this month. But I can get over the ethics of this situation - Two large companies abusing this crowd funding process which is built to support projects from the ground up. I hope to god this doesn't become an Industry standard going forward.

I'd totally understand if this way Platinum Games not getting the support for a sequel and having to prove that the audience is there, but for a HD port this process seems way over the top - like I said before with Bayonnetta being ported to Switch already.

EDIT: I also just read that the game is set to release in April... so is the work already done?

So that's my take on the matter, but I'm curious to see how other Shenmue III backers feel on the matter.
How have the press received it? I don't know too much about the franchise etc but if they're lapping this up after the way some outlets treated the Shenmue III Kickstarter (Pre Epic etc) all it does is confirm double standards are alive and kicking.

There's actually quite a bit of negativity surrounding it. The company handling publishing or the Kickstarter--not sure which--is pretty well reviled across the gaming internet. People are also accusing them of basically financing preorders rather than using the funds to create the game, which appears to already have been ported to both the Switch and PS4.

Regardless, I'm pretty interested in this one. I hear it's REALLY hard. I really have no interest in feigning concern over these campaigns. Let people back what they want. The 'backlash' will come when rewards, etc. aren't timely.

Last edited:
There's actually quite a bit of negativity surrounding it. The company handling publishing or the Kickstarter--not sure which--is pretty well reviled across the gaming internet. People are also accusing them of basically financing preorders rather than using the funds to create the game, which appears to already have been ported to both the Switch and PS4.

Regardless, I'm pretty interested in this one. I hear it's REALLY hard. I really have no interest in feigning concern over these campaigns. Let people back what they want. The 'backlash' will come when rewards, etc. aren't timely.
God, Patrick is such a fucking sleazeball for trying to link Platinum to sexual harassment through Dangen, especially when Judd already left the company for that very reason.

That said, while I'm happy for Platinum and look forward to finally playing this on PC, I do agree with @spud1897 that there's a disparity in respect with how the press is treating this compared to S3. And yes, this is a glorified pre-order considering the game is already set to release in 2 months (meaning the porting has already been done or is close to being done). I don't have any issue with this, but I do wonder why they didn't launch the KS around the time they actually started the porting process.

I'd be honest, if crowdfunding is another method used to be footed by port beggars so risks are less averse or dedicated cult fans wanting to give exposure on other platforms, I'm okay with it after they are upfront and honest that it's the only means.

Wonderful 101 on Wii U makes use of touch screen and had genuinely balls hard areas. A few Nintendo references here and there. A nice but strange choice for a remaster.

Nice to see it coming to Switch but surprised they did a crowd funder on it. Ten Cent put serious money into PG. Wondering what the story on the CF is there.. Appreciate Scalebound nearly killed them but.....

Guys like Patrick exist to turn everything into a controversy or something offensive. It's pretty amazing to watch people who have no actual interest in games or the industry sling so much mud.

Outrage culture on social media is simply a profitable venture nowadays. Keeping people in a perpetual state of moral indignation generates clicks which generates revenue. What I find more amazing is how people keep falling for it (given Kotaku’s numbers). Sadly, we live in an age where any perceived wrong can instantly destroy lives in our “morally pure” cultural zeitgeist. Basically Kotaku is just the online equivalent of a gaming tabloid, the lowest form of journalism there is.

Outrage culture on social media is simply a profitable venture nowadays. Keeping people in a perpetual state of moral indignation generates clicks which generates revenue. What I find more amazing is how people keep falling for it (given Kotaku’s numbers). Sadly, we live in an age where any perceived wrong can instantly destroy lives in our “morally pure” cultural zeitgeist. Basically Kotaku is just the online equivalent of a gaming tabloid, the lowest form of journalism there is.

Or Kotaku f-ing suck. You'd think with a cool name like that they'd write interesting articles about the niche areas of video game culture.

I just lump them with IGN/Gamespot et al.

Even though your bashing them your still giving them too much credit.

Maybe if enough people avoid them they might go away....

I'm kind of interested in buying W101 but the kickstarter seems so wrong.

The game's ready to go. They've got a distributor. What exactly is the kickstarter for? Just put it up for pre-order like any other game.

Back