WOOD CHOPPING THREAD

What method are you all using to time your chops? I got the hang of when to press for a general hit alright, but still find it hard how to judge where the ideal position is for a Very Good, let alone an Excellent, wich I still haven't gotten.
At first I thought you were supposed to aim for the vertical split on the texture, but that obviously doesn't do it. I just try to aim for dead center of the log now, but it still feels really shaky on when I get a very good or even an excellent... I know this doesn't help at all, lmao. Willom probably knows best if he's getting multiple excellents.

Willom probably knows best if he's getting multiple excellents.

Every time, even from the first attempt, I've only got 112. No matter how many excellents.

Here's an edited video of my most recent attempt.

My technique is to watch where Ryo is when he first raises the axe and press A when he matches that position again.

Ok, so after recording a bunch of rounds with Shadowplay, I've gone back through them in slow motion and worked out how the scoring works. It's actually pretty interesting and revolves around a chain system!! Here is the brake down:-

Wood Chopping Scoring System:-
  • You have a static timer of 1 minute 30 seconds (getting Very Goods / Excellent does not extend the timer)
  • Hitting a Normal = 3
  • Hitting a Very Good for the first time = 3
  • Once you hit a Very Good, a chain will start in which you are awarded 4 for every single Normal / Very Good Hit afterwards.
  • This chain can be broken by missing a log, in which you will go back to getting 3 for any log until you hit Very Good again (which will give 3) and which starts of the chain again.
  • If you manage to hit an Excellent, it will give you 3 (or 4 if you are already on a Very Good chain), and will start off another chain in which you are awarded 5 for any log hit.
I checked this over 4 different attempts and then checked it against Willom's video above and it all seems to be correct.

So, the best way to play, is to get an excellent as early as you can in the run, and then just make sure that you hit every single log after that!

I am now trying to work out how they are calculating the wage but it would seem that it is rounded up at some point as I got the same payout for 94 and 93 logs.
Here were my results for wages / logs if someone would like to work it out :p (getting late here)
LogsWage
11 (Was testing the Chain) - I'm not that bad ;)7
112 (Willom's)62

If anyone is interested, I've also recorded a bunch of training, sparing and fighting. I'm going to go through and probably work out the pixel count of the "leveling" bars and see how much 1 move gives you, if there is any difference of landing it in a real fight vs a spar, and the same for the QTE. I think this will be cool to know for when the full game drops, as we will be able to see how Yu and his team changed/speed up the demo balancing :D ( Yes, I think I am losing the plot )

Last edited:
Ok, so after recording a bunch of rounds with Shadowplay, I've gone back through them in slow motion and worked out how the scoring works. It's actually pretty interesting and revolves around a chain system!! Here is the brake down:-

• You have a static timer of 1 minute 30 seconds (getting Very Goods / Excellent does not extend the timer)
  • Hitting a Normal = 3
  • Once you hit a Very Good, a chain will start in which you are awarded 4 for every single Normal / Very Good Hit afterwards.
  • This chain can be broken by missing a log, in which you will go back to getting 3 for any log until you hit Very Good again (which will give 3) and which starts of the chain again.
  • If you manage to hit an Excellent, it will give you 3 (or 4 if you are already on a Very Good chain), and will start off another chain in which you are awarded 5 for any log hit.
I checked this over 4 different attempts and then checked it against Willom's video above and it all seems to be correct.

So, the best way to play, is to get an excellent as early as you can in the run, and then just make sure that you hit every single log after that!

I am now trying to work out how they are calculating the wage but it would seem that it is rounded up at some point as I got the same payout for 94 and 93 logs.
Here were my results for wages / logs if someone would like to work it out :p (getting late here)
LogsWage
11 (Was testing the Chain) - I'm not that bad ;)7
112 (Willom's)62
If anyone is interested, I've also recorded a bunch of training, sparing and fighting. I'm going to go through and probably work out the pixel count of the "leveling" bars and see how much 1 move gives you, if there is any difference of landing it in a real fight vs a spar, and the same for the QTE. I think this will be cool to know for when the full game drops, as we will be able to see how Yu and his team changed/speed up the demo balancing :D ( Yes, I think I am losing the plot )
On that 11 run you did where you were testing the chain, did you get any Very Good or Excellents? I'm wondering if it's something like this: if the wage is derived from the final log count, 1 log = +0.5 wage for any log that was accumulated from a normal hit, and +.75 or +1 wage for any log accumulated from a Very Good hit (and possibly more for an Excellent). In other words, getting a Very Good hit during a Very Good streak wouldn't increase the amount of logs accrued over a regular hit, but it would net more wage from each of those 4 logs.

On that 11 run you did where you were testing the chain, did you get any Very Good or Excellents? I'm wondering if it's something like this: if the wage is derived from the final log count, 1 log = +0.5 wage for any log that was accumulated from a normal hit, and +.75 or +1 wage for any log accumulated from a Very Good hit (and possibly more for an Excellent). In other words, getting a Very Good hit during a Very Good streak wouldn't increase the amount of logs accrued over a regular hit, but it would net more wage from each of those 4 logs.
Ahh that's a good point! I didn't think of it like that. Yep, for that run I got Very Good (3 - starts chain), Normal (4), Very good (4).

I swear is going to be a ball ache trying to work it out :p Either that or I am just lacking a load of sleep thanks to this demo :D

Ahh that's a good point! I didn't think of it like that. Yep, for that run I got Very Good (3 - starts chain), Normal (4), Very good (4).

I swear is going to be a ball ache trying to work it out :p Either that or I am just lacking a load of sleep thanks to this demo :D
Nah this is pretty confusing, there are a whole ton of possibilities. So if that first hit gave 3 logs, but each log was worth 0.75 wage because of the Very Good hit type, that would add 2.25 to wage. If the second hit added 4 logs because of the chain, but only .50 wage per log because of the regular hit type, that would add 2.0 to wage, with total accumulating to 4.25. If the last hit added 4 logs because of the chain, and .75 wage per log because of the Very Good hit type, that would add 3.0 to wage, with total accumulating to 7.25. Obviously this isn't definite, but that could indeed round down to the 7 wage you ended up getting with those three hits and 11 logs.

I don't get it. I don't see any consistency to the very good or excellent logs. Also in case anyone wonders, having your starts such as endurance or strength at level 5 or anything, it doesn't change the mini game. Not does not wearing your jacket, or the blue shirt.

Nice.

I played 10 times in a row and didn't get one Excellent lol. It seems like you get an Excellent if you get three Very Good hits in a row, the third will be Excellent. Then if you continue to get good hits the Excellent will continue.
I think you maybe on to something there! Just watched back both of Willom's videos and you're correct! So to get the highest score, you need to hit 3 very good's out of the gate lol!

Got a bit more serious today and chopped till I dropped, well at least 6 or 7 or so shifts in a row.
Think I got the hang of it now, every job was over 100 logs. Also got some excellents now. Best was still "only" 128 though.

I personally found the trick is to focus your attention on Ryo's face. It looks like you need to match the exact position he was in, when he put the log on the tree stump. My method was that I used the top of his nose as a reference point and timed my chops when it was realigned with the put-down-position as close as possible. This worked well.

I personally found the trick is to focus your attention on Ryo's face. It looks like you need to match the exact position he was in, when he put the log on the tree stump. My method was that I used the top of his nose as a reference point and timed my chops when it was realigned with the put-down-position as close as possible. This worked well.
lol this is exactaly the stat that I have been using :p I've also been thinking that if you are trying to get a frame match with where he originally places down the log, that it might be more beneficial to have a lower frame rate or am I just being crazy here? :p

Well a lower framerate doesn't make it slower, just choppier (pun intended). I think it would just be harder to time it with the less precision and longer visual reaction time and also more frames for the button inputs to register.

144. But if you look at the footage I got less excellents? Just early on. I guess when you're in excellent mode it adds a major multiplier.

I also use this trick, but I mix it with timing. Ryo will move to the left or right for a certain amount of time, then move back to the log. If you press A when he's been moving back to the log for the same amount of time he moved away from it, it helps.

144. But if you look at the footage I got less excellents? Just early on. I guess when you're in excellent mode it adds a major multiplier.
Ok great. Yep it all lines up with my earlier post. Once you get an excellent, every log (normal, very good or excellent) will award 5 logs. Basically, you opened Normal, VG, VG, Excellent. If you opened straight away with VG, VG, Excellent, then go on to hit every single log, then I believe you will get the max score possible. The only way to improve on that opener, would be if you can hit the logs so fast (without Ryo going back and fourth), that you can then squeeze in another log before the 1 minute 30 timer ends.

From earlier:-
  • Hitting a Normal = 3
  • Edit:- Thanks to the footage and You Arcades' incite, we now know that to get an Excellent, you need to hit 3 Very Goods in a row. The third Very Good will turn into an Excellent.

When the final game comes out we'll all know how to make a lot of money very quickly.

Back