Would we be able to love Shenmue the same way if the story ends as an animation?

A nice 2.5D game with some cinematics here and there to make a more vivid Shenmue experience would be the next best thing, I suppose.

I want it to end as a game and experience the Shenmue world this way, when i play the shenmue games i really feel like i'm there in that world living this journey, was beautiful to me experiencing a simple and peaceful life in Bailu Village.

I know how hard it is for Yu Suzuki to have the opportunity to finish the story in game format, so if one day he really feels that there is no way to do more games i will understand, i will understand and love Shenmue the same way.

I will happily take an anime and manga like ShenSun said, but i really have a feeling that Yu Suzuki will have the opportunity to make the games Shenmue IV and V and that he will decide to finish in Shenmue V for PS5 and PC, i don't know why i have this feeling that Yu Suzuki will end Shenmue like this but i think that this is what will happen.

I hope that the anime and game can go on side by side (similarly to anime and manga) would be cool to see the anime get to the end of the story as well as the games so that there’s different alternatives to experience the story

I think many of us would love Shenmue in almost any format as long as it was done well and true to its legacy.

At Shenmue's current engagement, it could easily thrive in the comic book/graphic novel format. Take a look at Blade Runner 2019, Blade Runner 2029, and Blade Runner Origins. Comic books can be well made for a much lower fiscal risk, also the variant covers via guest artists would satisfy the collector's itch. The threshold that Shenmue would have to meet in the comic world would easily be attainable with its dedicated global fanbase.

Attachments

• a08bd485-97db-4e8e-8def-e704addb2ab2.jpg
    a08bd485-97db-4e8e-8def-e704addb2ab2.jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 4
  • blade-runner-origins-1-cvr-d-hack.jpg
    blade-runner-origins-1-cvr-d-hack.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 4
  • feb211553__44618.1612456178.jpg
    feb211553__44618.1612456178.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 4
As exited as I am for the anime I would rather the story be concluded in game form.
personaly want the anime to just be an adaptation of Shenmue 1+2.

Something I would like, whatever the format in wich the saga ends, is to keep the voices and the music. Corey Marshall/Masaya Matsukaze and company. I think that is one of the most important thing to maintain to me. In a book or a comic there are no voices or music. I don't want Shenmue ends without voices and music.

Something I would like, whatever the format in wich the saga ends, is to keep the voices and the music. Corey Marshall/Masaya Matsukaze and company. I think that is one of the most important thing to maintain to me. In a book or a comic there are no voices or music. I don't want Shenmue ends without voices and music.
I really love to see what the Shenmue experience entails for each of us and how different it is for everyone. It's almost like a mystical experience, an ineffable and indivisible mix of elements that conforms it.

Anime is a incredible medium for story telling, action and development. If Shenmue could no longer go on as a game Shenmue could be a great anime. Yu Suzuki could also expand on the Shenmue mythos. I believe animation is cheaper than gane development. Anime would be able to accomplish some things that game development can't.

With all that said I still want Shenmue to finish as a video game. It just feels like the right thing to do.

No I want to close the saga out in videogame form.
It's the story, characters, weather, and total immersion in that world. We've all been on a journey with this franchise and I want to conclude it as it started. It's crazy to think how I was 12 in 2000. I think a anime would takeaway various things that we all adore about the franchise.

But if there is literally no other option then I would take whatever Yu thinks would be best. I would always wonder though what would've been added or expanded upon in game form. That thought would always be in the back of my mind.

Hopefully the upcoming anime is a nice boost to the fandom and just expands upon ideas that he wasn't able to implement back in the day.

No, I won't love the Shenmue ending "the same way" if it's delivered through anime rather than through games of the caliber of Shenmue II.

But I also wouldn't love the Shenmue story "the same way" if it's delivered through games with so many compromises as Shenmue III had.

So I'll happily take whatever is given to us, in any form.

If I was told it was an anime or nothing, I’d take the anime just for story closure. Prefer a game experience but anime is better than nothing

I would ultimately have no issue with it, but Shenmue's appeal goes beyond its story. As a game, an active form of media as opposed to passive, you're allowed to freely interact with its world and people, which a lot of games have not managed to capture to the same depth Shenmue has. While many open world games today are as vast as an ocean, they're as deep as a pond. While Shenmue is as vast as a lake, it's as deep as the ocean. I feel with an anime, while I do anticipate it will be good, will never capture the magic of what the game sets out to do "as a game." But if I had no choice but with an anime, I'll gladly take it as long as it keeps the music and voice actors as well.

Back