Would we be able to love Shenmue the same way if the story ends as an animation?

MissingSailor

404 Sailor Not Found
I really want to know how are they going to pace the series.
Shenmue has great characters that'd be perfect as anime characters but how many of them would fit in a limited amount of episodes without killing the slow, reflective Yokosuka mood, for example? What new nuances will it present to us old farts that had 20 years to experience the first couple of chapters of a greater story we can only speculate about? Would we be able to love the Shenmue series the same way if the story unravels through the much different anime pacing?
If it happens to be the way Shenmue ends I'll have to make peace with it, but it will take some time...

For me the short answer is no. A huge appeal of Shenmue for me is being in Ryo’s shoes and the immersion that comes with that.

Now if Suzuki can’t find a way to conclude the story via video games then frankly I would take any medium, in particular an anime but it wouldn’t be my default choice.

If the animation is a success, it may have the time to portray and flesh out the 4 leaders, depict a more epic conclusion to their face off, but I prefer Ryo's journey is the same as the player's, as the first reply said.

No, it's a completely different medium. My interest in Shenmue is as a video game series, not a story.

Funnily enough though, I always had the opposite sentiment towards Mortal Kombat. Was never really interested in straight-up fighting games, but there was summat about the story and characters that grabbed me for some reason.

I'm not interested in anime, but I'll watch the Shenmue anime. It's never been my preferred way to tell the story. I like video games and that's what I like about Shenmue: it's an innovative video game with a captivating story. The story on its own would not have grabbed my interest. But I still think it's a net positive that they're making a Shenmue anime. Gives the series one more chance at exposure.

Yeah, I also want Shenmue to remain as a game. If it came to it where YS Net were really struggling, I would prefer one final crowdfunded Shenmue game that at least resolved the Ryo vs Lan Di revenge arc than for the sequels to be repurposed as a manga, novel or anime.

I see the anime as an alternative story. If I recall, the anime was going to cover beats that the games haven't. Perhaps the two will compliment each other which is a win-win in my eyes.

The last game was a major letdown in the story department so I'm very much open to seeing the story tackled in different mediums and by different teams. If this first season is a success and the anime eventually goes farther than the source material I wouldn't mind one bit.

Would I prefer a game? Yes, of course, but after playing the 3rd one I don't have much reason to be optimistic about the quality of potential future games. If the anime turns out good it'll probably be better than anything we'd end up with in a new game so I see this as a win.

Sort of? It's a tricky question.

I honestly think that the story of Shenmue has so much to offer. We've already seen what can be done when Shenmue is at it's narrative best with Shenmue II. Shenmue III regressed massively in that area imo which led to a less enjoyable experience for me personally.

I love Shenmue as a game. But to be honest, given that the story is one of my favourite parts, if the anime is the only way we're ever going to see Shenmue II levels of narrative storytelling again then I'd take it.

I hope it doesn't come to that and that Suzuki can improve that area with IV and beyond. That would be the ideal situation. But if they simply can't do that and Shenmue does end up shifting focus to the anime, then yeah I'd probably be willing to adapt.

Would I love it the same way as the games? It's hard to say given the theoretical nature of the question, but no, probably not.
That doesn't necessarily mean that I wouldn't still love it though.

Shenmue as game would be better but if the Anime is the only way to conclude the story I would be fine with it. Would not be my first choice though.

Well, we arent getting any more games so i would take whatever we can get.

Well, we arent getting any more games so i would take whatever we can get.
Granted we don't know if we will get anymore games but they are making efforts to ensure that we do. Hence the pitches to publishers for Shenmue 4.

I wouldn't say we definitely won't be getting any more games IMO.

Granted we don't know if we will get anymore games but they are making efforts to ensure that we do. Hence the pitches to publishers for Shenmue 4.

I wouldn't say we definitely won't be getting any more games IMO.
Someone is trying to move something behind the scenes? Thats nice to know, although i do believe Yu will never get enough funds to tell the story he wants with the quality he wants, so an anime could be the best way to continue the story.

I'm almost hoping that it ends as an animation.
I'd even take a manga.

Last edited:
Someone is trying to move something behind the scenes? Thats nice to know, although i do believe Yu will never get enough funds to tell the story he wants with the quality he wants, so an anime could be the best way to continue the story.
They are. I did an interview with Cedric before Xmas and he, quite surprisingly, said they had Shenmue 4 ready to pitch to publishers in video and gameplay form.

Now the budget point is something I can agree with. They're after a bigger budget for Shenmue 4 and I admire the ambition but not sure they will get it. Fingers crossed though.

I'd prefer a game because nothing else will satisfy completely in any other form. And even the game cant fully live up to the hype after 2 decades. I'll take an anime or anything else to finally give closure though. The last game quelled my absolute need for a sequel but I'll buy regardless.

I would prefer it to be fully told in video game format but if thats what they decide to do then so be it. It is Shenmue. I'm happy that we can even look forward to SOMETHING since we didn't for so long lol.
That being said, I loved Shenmue 3. I think future games can tell the story just fine if they have the budget to do so.

I really want to know how are they going to pace the series.
Shenmue has great characters that'd be perfect as anime characters but how many of them would fit in a limited amount of episodes without killing the slow, reflective Yokosuka mood, for example? What new nuances will it present to us old farts that had 20 years to experience the first couple of chapters of a greater story we can only speculate about? Would we be able to love the Shenmue series the same way if the story unravels through the much different anime pacing?
If it happens to be the way Shenmue ends I'll have to make peace with it, but it will take some time...
NO! i like shenmue as a video game , i would prefer a shenmue 2.5D with a street of rage view then an anime , i will probably love the anime tho but i want shenmue to stay a video game

Definitely. I'd be happy if Shenmue ends at all. At this point I don't care if it's a game, anime, book, etc. If we do get to realize the rest of the story I'd be happy. If they can make S4 and it flops I'd be fine with them just releasing a synopsis of what happens, anything is better than leaving off in limbo again.

Definitely. I'd be happy if Shenmue ends at all. At this point I don't care if it's a game, anime, book, etc. If we do get to realize the rest of the story I'd be happy. If they can make S4 and it flops I'd be fine with them just releasing a synopsis of what happens, anything is better than leaving off in limbo again.

Yeah this is exactly where i'm at. I'd love it to be finished in videogames, but an anime is a more than acceptable compromise. I feel like I already have that 'connection' with the characters through the videogames thus far, so the emotional heavy lifting is already done.

Back