Would you be happy if Shenmue 4 was the final game?

I'd say 5 might be ideal. I agree with the sentiment that I'd want Yu Suzuki to tell the story as close to he intended. Release Shenmue 4 to get back on track with hopefully a bigger budget, and 5 to try to secure an even higher budget to close the story and hopefully be the best selling in the series due to the "epic finale!!!" hype :p. I agree with Yu being too old to make a 6th game, and I can't really think of a story driven series that has that many installments so it might be tough to keep momentum, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I’m going to make yet another annoying Star Wars comparison here (massive fan, it’s in my username – sorry!).

A former Lucasfilm employee recently described that after The Empire Strikes Back, the original follow-up (née Revenge of the Jedi) centred on Boba Fett as the primary villain. This decision was part of George Lucas’s original grandiose Star Wars plan where he supposedly had treatments for as many as 12 films at one point which told a more expanded version of the story in the now 6 films which comprise the Original and Prequel trilogies. Following this early version of Return of the Jedi, three more films were planned where Luke finds his long-lost sister (who was not Leia), becomes a Jedi Knight and confronts the Emperor. Back then, The Empire Strikes Back told about 30% of Luke’s story.

Of course, this was all a bit too ambitious and impractical. Life got in the way, and Lucas decided to focus on his family. This four-movie plan was condensed into Return of the Jedi which adapted the same material: Luke becomes a Jedi Knight, Leia is repurposed as Luke's long-lost sister, and the Emperor is defeated. The same story was covered, just more succinctly and Return of the Jedi remains as one of the best-regarded films in the franchise.

Lucas fleshing out every scribble in his 12-film plan with no room for editing sounds cool, but it could have led to some horribly bloated films. Disney is now adapting the remaining scraps of Lucas' canned notes in their new trilogy, and I cannot deny that many find this new trilogy a bit pointless, repetitive and boring because all the best bits were already covered in the more condensed, high-quality Original Trilogy.

Yu Suzuki is in a similar position: a massive 11-chapter story planned in the '90s follows a martial artist’s journey to every major city in '80s China across multiple sequels. Slight problem: Shenmue isn't a bestseller, is very polarising and was fundraised into existence after a 20-year hiatus. What’s more, Shenmue 3’s reception is now mixed, and Yu is nearing a time when he should be enjoying retirement with his family.

While I personally love Shenmue 3, I can appreciate that many were left disappointed by how little the story progressed. Given how divisive things are and that this might be Yu’s last chance to finish his story before retirement, it might be worth him following in Lucas’ footsteps and merging the events of Shenmue 4 & 5 into one large-scale, high-quality product that picks up the pace like Shenmue 2 and winds up with only the cream of the remaining planned chapters.

Given how the Chi You Men went down... I'd say that's a few chapters cut right there.

Was this a spoiler...?

If so please mark it as such next time.

Think I'm gonna stay away from IV forums from now on until I beat the game.

Sigh.

Yu Suzuki is in a similar position: a massive 11-chapter story planned in the '90s follows a martial artist’s journey to every major city in '80s China across multiple sequels.
I don't know about you, but I was expecting each game in the series to expand on the story as much as Shenmue 2 did or more. If there isn't enough story to fill 11 chapters (as S3 leads me to believe), then it should absolutely be condensed. In the same way we didn't need to watch 3 films of Luke Skywalker training, we don't need 3 Shenmue games of Ryo's misadventures fighting random gangs in Chinese towns, constantly being surprised to learn that the mirror his father left him is a key to a treasure and the man who beat his father to death for killing Sunming Zhao is Sunming Zhao's son.

Not to rant but Ryo just left a village where the people believe he is literally fulfilling a prophecy "since ANCIENT TIMES", it's Shenhua's entire motivation for joining him, and no one seems to care in the slightest. If it's not important to the story now, when exactly is it going to be?

I don't think the Star Wars / George Lucas comparison works at all. Lucas' problem was that he had far too grand an idea, and had no idea how to edit that vision down to something presentable. The original cut of Star Wars (1977) was absolutely ridiculous, for example, and had a bunch of scenes with some random dude on Tatooine who was Luke's best friend that went nowhere and was boring as shit.

As far as I can tell, the problems people have with Shenmue III is that it doesn't tell enough of the story. That's literally the opposite problem, so the comparison to George Lucas and Star Wars just falls completely flat to me. I think you're just trying to make something fit that really doesn't at all.

I don't know about you, but I was expecting each game in the series to expand on the story as much as Shenmue 2 did or more.

Did you honestly? Shenmue II spans three full chapters of the Shenmue story (with parts cut together from 4 chapters total,) whereas Shenmue III spans just one, and from that one, a section was cut. We knew Baisha was cut months ago too. I cannot fathom how anyone could come into Shenmue III with the expectation of it covering as much of the story or more than Shenmue II.

The original cut of Star Wars (1977) was absolutely ridiculous, for example, and had a bunch of scenes with some random dude on Tatooine who was Luke's best friend that went nowhere and was boring as shit.

As far as I can tell, the problems people have with Shenmue III is that it doesn't tell enough of the story. That's literally the opposite
No that's exactly the same problem I had with Shenmue 3. The random dude on Tatooine that went nowhere and was boring as shit? You just described everything in Niaowu that doesn't directly tie to the Chi You Men. It's not only that it doesn't tell enough of the story, it actively AVOIDS telling the story and then rushes an ending cliffhanger.

Did you honestly?
Of course! S2 is largely about Ryo finding his way around China, a stranger in a strange land meeting a new cast of characters that are going to continue through the story. S3 is supposed to build off that, we're in the middle of the story here, not the beginning.

Shenmue II spans three full chapters of the Shenmue story (with parts cut together from 4 chapters total,) whereas Shenmue III spans just one, and from that one, a section was cut.
Not that I think the whole "chapter" thing has any merit anymore (especially because in S3, annoyingly, the areas aren't numbered anymore) but, discounting chapter 2 as the cut boat chapter, Shenmue 2 is chapter 2, 3, and 4, meaning Shenmue 3 covers at least another 2 chapters (Bailu Village, Niaowu, and whatever remnants of Baisha), putting us at chapter 6 of 11, which is well over the halfway point. Suzuki has been purposefully opaque on the whole chapter thing for a while now but all we know is that he said he wanted to complete the story in 4 or 5 games. Since that's the case, S3 wastes an awful lot of time on very little story, especially if his claim that we're only 40% done is true. According to my math that means he knowingly backloaded 60% of his storyline to potentially 1 game.

I cannot fathom how anyone could come into Shenmue III with the expectation of it covering as much of the story or more than Shenmue II.
Because Suzuki said that things like the poem would be explained, Niao Sun would be a main character, and there would be another villain introduced? That sounds like at least as much story as S2!

Not that I think the whole "chapter" thing has any merit anymore (especially because in S3, annoyingly, the areas aren't numbered anymore) but, discounting chapter 2 as the cut boat chapter, Shenmue 2 is chapter 2, 3, and 4, meaning Shenmue 3 covers at least another 2 chapters (Bailu Village, Niaowu, and whatever remnants of Baisha), putting us at chapter 6 of 11, which is well over the halfway point. Suzuki has been purposefully opaque on the whole chapter thing for a while now but all we know is that he said he wanted to complete the story in 4 or 5 games. Since that's the case, S3 wastes an awful lot of time on very little story, especially if his claim that we're only 40% done is true. According to my math that means he knowingly backloaded 60% of his storyline to potentially 1 game

I was going to say, the whole 11 chapter 'novel' Suzuki keeps talking about is almost moot at this point. Is Shenmue 3 only chapter 5: Guilin? Or is it chapter 4: Guilin (continuation from Shenmue 2) and chapter 5: Niaowu? If it is only 1 chapter then it's been greatly enlarged since the original scope was supposed to be rural Guilin only, not mention the cut Baisha scenes.

I do recall an interview where Suzuki mentioned that Shenmue 3 would encompass the Guilin chapter and repurpose the original chapter 4: Suzhou to a new location (Niaowu) with some additional elements pulled earlier from what was supposed to be chapter 6. I'll try to find that interview again as I can't seem to at the moment.

Shenmue II spans three full chapters of the Shenmue story (with parts cut together from 4 chapters total,)
Again this depends on what the whole "chapter" thing means anymore. Technically in game Shenmue 2 spans chapters 2,3, and (part of?) 4. However, going by the original 11 chapter outline it is really only chapter 2 and a little bit of chapter 5. chapters 3 and 4 of the original outline were cut, with some elements of 4 (likely the ending scene with Yuanda Zhu) incorporated.
Because Suzuki said that things like the poem would be explained, Niao Sun would be a main character, and there would be another villain introduced? That sounds like at least as much story as S2
To add to this: see this interview. Here is the relevant part:
Shenmue is the type of story where more and more mysteries get piled up as it goes on (laughs). But if I keep doing this, it’ll never end. So in Shenmue III, at Bailu village, you’ll learn about what Iwao did in China and the truth about why Lan Di killed him. The mystery behind the mirrors and the sword will be gradually revealed as well.

EDIT: I found two interviews in which he says the chapter stories have been essentially sliced up and parts distributed throughout Shenmue 2 and 3.

Shenmue 2 is mostly chapter 2 + a little of 4,5, and 6.
Shenmue 3 is a mix of chapters 3 - 6

Last edited:
My CE just arrived in the mail, so I'll be able to play it soon, but truthfully I just want the plot to wrap up its loose ends with 4. That's not to say I dont want Shenmue to ever make another comeback, but since 3 seems to mostly be about the training arc, I'd prefer it if after the DLC ships 4 ends up being about solving enough of the plotthreads to give the illusion of an ending. Then if that does well, 5 should be about Ryu being dragged back due to forgetting about that one missing plot thread or something around those lines.

4, maybe 5 games would be ideal. I mean Yu had the chance to make a lot of progress with the story in S3
but he effed up so now the problem is that with barely any progress made concerning the storyline, he may have trouble wrapping things up in S4.

No that's exactly the same problem I had with Shenmue 3. The random dude on Tatooine that went nowhere and was boring as shit? You just described everything in Niaowu that doesn't directly tie to the Chi You Men. It's not only that it doesn't tell enough of the story, it actively AVOIDS telling the story and then rushes an ending cliffhanger.

Fair enough. Hard disagree. I just cannot see there being too much story in Shenmue III, and that's not at all consistent with the complaints I've seen so far. I find it hard to imagine people being happier if Hsu, Shingling, Ge, and the rest if Niaowu was just completely cut a la Star Wars (1977).

Of course! S2 is largely about Ryo finding his way around China, a stranger in a strange land meeting a new cast of characters that are going to continue through the story. S3 is supposed to build off that, we're in the middle of the story here, not the beginning.

Yeah, if I was expecting another 3-4 entire chapters of the Shenmue story, and a full-on epic across 3-4 regions of China with an enormous amount of exposition, I would for sure be disappointed too, so I can for sure see more where you're coming from with your feelings toward Shenmue III now.

Personally I was expecting a smaller game (in terms of story,) more along the lines of the first Shenmue.

Not that I think the whole "chapter" thing has any merit anymore (especially because in S3, annoyingly, the areas aren't numbered anymore) but, discounting chapter 2 as the cut boat chapter, Shenmue 2 is chapter 2, 3, and 4, meaning Shenmue 3 covers at least another 2 chapters (Bailu Village, Niaowu, and whatever remnants of Baisha), putting us at chapter 6 of 11, which is well over the halfway point. Suzuki has been purposefully opaque on the whole chapter thing for a while now but all we know is that he said he wanted to complete the story in 4 or 5 games. Since that's the case, S3 wastes an awful lot of time on very little story, especially if his claim that we're only 40% done is true. According to my math that means he knowingly backloaded 60% of his storyline to potentially 1 game.

Yeah I don't put much stock into the whole "chapters" thing myself, but the skeleton of the chapters map is still being followed. Shenmue III for sure only covers one of those: Bailu and Niaowu are not separate chapters at all, even if we had gotten Baisha, this is all happening in the same region, so Shenmue III was always going to be a single "chapter."

Because Suzuki said that things like the poem would be explained, Niao Sun would be a main character, and there would be another villain introduced? That sounds like at least as much story as S2!

Niao Sun is introduced as another main villain, and Ge was another villain. Maybe translation issues, but personally I never expected for a second the Niao Sun arc to begin and end in Shenmue III, especially when we knew that half the game takes place in Bailu village. I certainly didn't expect a complete explanation of the poem this early into the story, so not really sure what Yu was on about there.

I was going to say, the whole 11 chapter 'novel' Suzuki keeps talking about is almost moot at this point. Is Shenmue 3 only chapter 5: Guilin? Or is it chapter 4: Guilin (continuation from Shenmue 2) and chapter 5: Niaowu? If it is only 1 chapter then it's been greatly enlarged since the original scope was supposed to be rural Guilin only, not mention the cut Baisha scenes.

I do recall an interview where Suzuki mentioned that Shenmue 3 would encompass the Guilin chapter and repurpose the original chapter 4: Suzhou to a new location (Niaowu) with some additional elements pulled earlier from what was supposed to be chapter 6. I'll try to find that interview again as I can't seem to at the moment.

Again this depends on what the whole "chapter" thing means anymore. Technically in game Shenmue 2 spans chapters 2,3, and (part of?) 4. However, going by the original 11 chapter outline it is really only chapter 2 and a little bit of chapter 5. chapters 3 and 4 of the original outline were cut, with some elements of 4 (likely the ending scene with Yuanda Zhu) incorporated.

To add to this: see this interview. Here is the relevant part:

EDIT: I found two interviews in which he says the chapter stories have been essentially sliced up and parts distributed throughout Shenmue 2 and 3.

Shenmue 2 is mostly chapter 2 + a little of 4,5, and 6.
Shenmue 3 is a mix of chapters 3 - 6

Yeah, I agree the "chapters" thing isn't a direct map of the story any more, but the skeleton of the regions of China and Asia that Ryo travels to and spends time in still holds up. At this point we're somewhere between the Guilin chapter, and the following chapter. Shenmue III was never going to take us onto the X'ian and Luoyang portions of the saga.

Tbh 3 didn't add much to the story for its length, I'd rather have a condensed story which quality story-telling than long-drawn out filler and non-existent character development. So, I'd be OK w/the story ending at 4.

Of course if it told the story in the right manner and wasnt too rushed.

Some of the replies are reminiscent of some of the polarized mentality that was common within the old dojo especially with how the game should conclude. Some were always willing to compromise at all costs to get the end of the story be it through Shenmue Online to a visual manga/novel.

I realize that this situation is difficult because we are fighting a tide and the concerns are if the story is dragged out, it could cause Shenmues future to become vaporware. Realistically, most of the fans are people who are already fans and none of us are getting younger. Additionally, I don't know how many new fans have become involved since Segas rerelease of the series.

I don't think Yu Suzuki should compromise and that he should go for the full vision. Realistically I think 5 games would work and I will explain why.

Shenmue III to me reminds me of Shenmue I, it took a lot of risk to try new things. Yes it wasn't the innovative open world new gen type of technology like Shenmue I but it did have buildup which starter slow and expanded to a point that I see Shenmue III kind of like the spark that ignites the fire and Shenmue 4 becoming the Shenmue II of it's generation by volume and story.

We cannot continue with a series that is like a flickering light bulb, then there is the potential that we have something that could have been better but was completed and we get into the theoretical "could have been, should have been". It would be much better to work with maintaining the existing fanbase as obviously that demand exists. Had the kickstarter not existed, I am confident most of that would have translated to sales double purchase or not.

What I am saying is we should have confidence in the development process and allow everything to flow naturally. There are solutions to this and now that there is an existing engine, assets, etc. it should be much easier going forward.

So to sum it up, I think the series should continue for at least 5 games, even 6. I don't find it unreasonable so long as we the fans remain interested and we can attract newer fans to the original games.

Fair enough. Hard disagree. I just cannot see there being too much story in Shenmue III, and that's not at all consistent with the complaints I've seen so far. I find it hard to imagine people being happier if Hsu, Shingling, Ge, and the rest if Niaowu was just completely cut a la Star Wars (1977).
It might not be a useful comparison since games and movies are made very differently, it's extremely rare for a game to have too much story because generally that's tied to length. Apart from something like Metal Gear which crams a ton of story into a short game, most games can spread their story over however many hours they want. Movies, on the other hand, have a set length, so no one would realistically release a 4 hour cut of Star Wars that focuses on Luke's friend on Tatooine. Rather, the comparison being made here is that the story lacks focus or is focused on the wrong things. In the case of Shenmue, if this story has indeed been planned and they knew the beats going in, there is no reason for it to meander on nothing for its near 30 hour run time and then rush an ending and then claim that we're still only 40% done.

Yeah, if I was expecting another 3-4 entire chapters of the Shenmue story, and a full-on epic across 3-4 regions of China with an enormous amount of exposition, I would for sure be disappointed too, so I can for sure see more where you're coming from with your feelings toward Shenmue III now.
I expect more story out of 1 chapter of Shenmue, frankly. In Shenmue 1 we're introduced to a ton of memorable characters who (likely) never return, the play area is tiny and yet we get a ton of story involving the Mad Angels, the mysteries of the mirrors and Iwao's past, and Ryo's struggles to get to Hong Kong in about the same time that it takes Shenmue 3 to repeat story that we already know.

Shenmue III for sure only covers one of those: Bailu and Niaowu are not separate chapters at all, even if we had gotten Baisha, this is all happening in the same region, so Shenmue III was always going to be a single "chapter."
I have no way of knowing if that's true. Hong Kong and Kowloon are the same "region" and are considered separate chapters and Baisha was changed to the castle area. All we actually have to go on is what Suzuki said regarding the actual scope of the story (40% done after S3) and how many more games he intends to make (1-2). So the second best case scenario, according to Suzuki, is that we get 1 more game with 60% of the story crammed in.

Niao Sun is introduced as another main villain, and Ge was another villain. Maybe translation issues, but personally I never expected for a second the Niao Sun arc to begin and end in Shenmue III, especially when we knew that half the game takes place in Bailu village. I certainly didn't expect a complete explanation of the poem this early into the story, so not really sure what Yu was on about there.
Suzuki said there would be 4 bosses, Lan Di, Niao Sun, an unnamed tactician, and one unknown. So I guess Ge could count as the unknown boss, but I don't consider this even a proper introduction to Niao Sun (she's not even named in game), let alone her having any kind of substantial role, and the unnamed tactician seems to have been cut completely. No one thought her arc would end in S3.

Regarding the poem, Bailu village is where it originated, obviously we wouldn't get a full explanation (presumably the events of the sequels would fill that in) but this has been recited in Bailu village for a long time and they believe Ryo and Shenhua are literally fulfilling it, so for it to not even come up is insane.

So to sum it up, I think the series should continue for at least 5 games, even 6. I don't find it unreasonable so long as we the fans remain interested and we can attract newer fans to the original games.
This may be a little "inside baseball" but the fact that a sequel is even something that's dependent on sales after a record setting Kickstarter does not bode well. I released a game made by a small team (with "help" from another company) and the budget ballooned to $2M. If S3 got $7M from KS, you can expect that to be at least doubled by the other companies investing, hoping for a fairly standard ~150k unit break-even (our break even was around the same). The EGS gave us $1M over the first year for exclusivity, so assume that S3 got even more, say $3M, it still needs to sell 100k to break even. Remember, that's breaking even. If it doesn't do anywhere near 200k units, forget about a sequel. Hollow Knight sold 250k units on Switch alone and it's orders of magnitude cheaper to make than Shenmue. Suzuki knows all of this which is why I'm blaming this on either gross mismanagement or the insane notion that S3 was going to have record setting sales.

It might not be a useful comparison since games and movies are made very differently, it's extremely rare for a game to have too much story because generally that's tied to length. Apart from something like Metal Gear which crams a ton of story into a short game, most games can spread their story over however many hours they want. Movies, on the other hand, have a set length, so no one would realistically release a 4 hour cut of Star Wars that focuses on Luke's friend on Tatooine. Rather, the comparison being made here is that the story lacks focus or is focused on the wrong things. In the case of Shenmue, if this story has indeed been planned and they knew the beats going in, there is no reason for it to meander on nothing for its near 30 hour run time and then rush an ending and then claim that we're still only 40% done.

Yeah, that's fair enough. The George Lucas / Star Wars comparison absolutely falls flat though.

I expect more story out of 1 chapter of Shenmue, frankly. In Shenmue 1 we're introduced to a ton of memorable characters who (likely) never return, the play area is tiny and yet we get a ton of story involving the Mad Angels, the mysteries of the mirrors and Iwao's past, and Ryo's struggles to get to Hong Kong in about the same time that it takes Shenmue 3 to repeat story that we already know.

Well Chapter 1 wasn't originally intended to take up the entirety of Shenmue 1, Yu Suzuki just kept adding to it until it filled out the entire game, with the rest going into Shenmue II. So Shenmue is definitely not indicative of a typical single chapter. Hong Kong, or Kowloon are probably better indications, and I feel like Shenmue III easily stacks up to either of those single chapters, personally.

I have no way of knowing if that's true. Hong Kong and Kowloon are the same "region" and are considered separate chapters and Baisha was changed to the castle area. All we actually have to go on is what Suzuki said regarding the actual scope of the story (40% done after S3) and how many more games he intends to make (1-2). So the second best case scenario, according to Suzuki, is that we get 1 more game with 60% of the story crammed in.

I mean, it is. You can look at the VFRPG map and see the locations. We're clearly still in the Guilin region, so Shenmue III is a continuation of the "Guilin" chapter from Shenmue II. It's not even a full chapter in and of itself. Hong Kong and Kowloon were also expanded upon (with bits included from chapters that were cut) hence why they're broken out into separate chapters in the notebook in Shenmue II.

Suzuki said there would be 4 bosses, Lan Di, Niao Sun, an unnamed tactician, and one unknown. So I guess Ge could count as the unknown boss, but I don't consider this even a proper introduction to Niao Sun (she's not even named in game), let alone her having any kind of substantial role, and the unnamed tactician seems to have been cut completely. No one thought her arc would end in S3.

Yeah, but things change in development. The tactician was cut because Baisha was cut. Just because she's not named doesn't mean she's not introduced. She appears at the beginning of the Niaowu chapter, and has a major role in the climax of the plot. I think Yu is setting up for a confrontation between Lan Di and Niao Sun in Shenmue IV.

Regarding the poem, Bailu village is where it originated, obviously we wouldn't get a full explanation (presumably the events of the sequels would fill that in) but this has been recited in Bailu village for a long time and they believe Ryo and Shenhua are literally fulfilling it, so for it to not even come up is insane.

I just don't know why or how it would even come up in conversation. As you say, Ryo and Shenhua are literally fulfilling it, so it's likely that we're just going to experience it. The characters are clearly as unaware as to wtf it actually means as we are, so there's not really much for them to discuss besides "man, ain't it weird that we've recited this poem a lot, and then a Japanese guy turned up?"

This may be a little "inside baseball" but the fact that a sequel is even something that's dependent on sales after a record setting Kickstarter does not bode well. I released a game made by a small team (with "help" from another company) and the budget ballooned to $2M. If S3 got $7M from KS, you can expect that to be at least doubled by the other companies investing, hoping for a fairly standard ~150k unit break-even (our break even was around the same). The EGS gave us $1M over the first year for exclusivity, so assume that S3 got even more, say $3M, it still needs to sell 100k to break even. Remember, that's breaking even. If it doesn't do anywhere near 200k units, forget about a sequel. Hollow Knight sold 250k units on Switch alone and it's orders of magnitude cheaper to make than Shenmue. Suzuki knows all of this which is why I'm blaming this on either gross mismanagement or the insane notion that S3 was going to have record setting sales.

I'm not really into guessing development budgets or sales figures. I'm okay to just go by what we know, and reading sales reports as they come in. Better yet, an announcement or statement from Yu Suzuki or Ysnet. I'm hopeful of seeing a Shenmue IV, but if we don't, we don't. We still got Shenmue III and I loved it.

Back