Would you be happy if Shenmue 4 was the final game?

5 looks to be the best case scenario, especially with reference to the seemingly middling and divisive reception of S3.

Part of me wishes 3 could have been released during the 6th gen, seeing as Yu has stressed that the plot of this game was to be inward (Ryo/Shenhua), not outward (the plot many, myself included, desired). So to speak, he could've gotten that part 'out of the way', and we could've picked up with a game more focused on the outer elements.

The team really needed to make this installment appeal to the masses for sales, but in the timing of the plot, this was a damned if you do/don't situation. Either you skimp the crucial character development or the more "external" aspects of the series (NPCs, plot, etc.) or you skimp on the integrity of his vision (as if we'd expect that).

I'd really like to see 4, but the internet mob seems to grow angrier/negative each year, and I don't just mean gaming. It does seem that detractors are more so bored than hostile, but I truly can't imagine another kickstarter going down well.

My honest answer? I'd like to see them attempt 4 but, if it flops and prevents a 5, please do release the rest of the story in print or something. I've never understood that notion of "if he can't make it his way, just let it die with him." You don't have to read it if you don't want to, but some of us care enough about the story that imperfection is better than giving up (I'd think Ryo would agree, no? Go down fighting.)
I'm for half and half, a Star Wars style recap for you, another 1 final video game for me. With his best ideas implemented. Thinking about Shenmue 5 is nuts though. 4 should use existing engine and assets and finish the story in his intended format. I bet you, you'd get bored reading his scripts. I love to read, but this would be worse than even some bad movie scripts. The gameplay distracted you in all 3 games from seeing this.

I'm for half and half, a Star Wars style recap for you, another 1 final video game for me. With his best ideas implemented. Thinking about Shenmue 5 is nuts though. 4 should use existing engine and assets and finish the story in his intended format. I bet you, you'd get bored reading his scripts. I love to read, but this would be worse than even some bad movie scripts. The gameplay distracted you in all 3 games from seeing this.
Since the main complain about shenmue 3 is about the story, its gameplay hasn't distracted enough from seeing this.

I’d take a book or a movie just to support Yu Suzuki, but I definitely like Shenmue because it’s a unique game experience unlike anything else, even if 3 lacks a story. I don’t watch anime or read comics.

Since the main complain about shenmue 3 is about the story, its gameplay hasn't distracted enough from seeing this.
The complaint is from those missing what Suzuki said was his goal in Shenmue 3, when all on this site and other places on the web kept expounding on just why there will never be a Shenmue 3. Those talks in the evenings with Shenhua in her house were to be the freaking story in Shenmue 3. It was his vision even when there were serious doubts about S3 ever happening. If you don't like his vision on this, OK. But clearly he did what he planned to do years and years ago. They both really get to know each other. I hate people not getting this, and going on about the story bit. "Shenmue 3 will expound inwards. There will be a situation like Shenhua asks if you want coffee or tea." He dreamed about doing all this, he did do it, it's there. I know people can never be happy though.

The complaint is from those missing what Suzuki said was his goal in Shenmue 3, when all on this site and other places on the web kept expounding on just why there will never be a Shenmue 3. Those talks in the evenings with Shenhua in her house were to be the freaking story in Shenmue 3. It was his vision even when there were serious doubts about S3 ever happening. If you don't like his vision on this, OK. But clearly he did what he planned to do years and years ago. They both really get to know each other. I hate people not getting this, and going on about the story bit. "Shenmue 3 will expound inwards. There will be a situation like Shenhua asks if you want coffee or tea." He dreamed about doing all this, he did do it, it's there. I know people can never be happy though.
Having Ryo and Shenhua getting to know each other as the main story line of shenmue 3 does not excuse the quality of the others story lines.

Depends. If they really did scrap the 4 branch Chi You men leadership + Tentei sure. Why not. But if thats still a thing hell no. Needs at least 5 games and going by Shenmue 3, even that would be too short to tell the entire story. I just hope goin gforward they dont waste anymore time. like Niaowu for example. Had no story relevance at all. Feels like it was intended as a short detour before going to Baisha.

Um no. that was ONE aspect of Shenmue 3's story. The other bit was supposed to focus heavily on Ryo maturing and the female Chi You Men member and a huge showdown in Baisha. All of which were scrapped. And even if we say the point was to broaden Shenhua as a character and her relationship with Ryo, that went in the toilet the moment we left Bailu.

I want 4 to be the last.
People say it would be rushed but honestly at least they'd be forced to prioritize the story, if they are indeed still capable of telling one.

#1. They don't have to prioritise anything and by cramming 6 more chapters in 1 game, will 100% make it a rushed story.
#2. Stop shitposting; the story in 3 is fine, you just don't like it.

I'm wondering, with so much hate even inside the Shenmue community, how can we hope for a better future for this series? :(

With so much haters we are lucky if we get a rushed Shenmue 4... :( the gaming world is returning to the same garbage it was before E3 2015...

#1. They don't have to prioritise anything and by cramming 6 more chapters in 1 game, will 100% make it a rushed story.
Yu Suzuki doesn't seem to mind cutting and condensing chapters.. did you not get the memo about Baisha being cut from the game? The boat chapter with Chai? Or the other possible story DLCs of content taking place during the events of Shenmue 3?

#2. Stop shitposting; the story in 3 is fine, you just don't like it.
Is the finale fine? Are the characters who appear in the finale fine?

Last edited:
Ever heard of the line "agree to disagree", people? We can discuss what we liked and didn't like about the game, but these absolutes (game had ZERO story, for example) need to end. And stop being passive aggressive about what you have to say...if you have something of substance to say, then say it.

I'd prefer to see a 5th or 6th to finish as well, if it's possible.
There were so many more questions brought up by the end of Shenmue 3 that I couldn't see Yu finishing the story in one more game.

Last edited:
Sitting here, waiting for Shen4 to pull a Yakuza 0 (really think if Shen2 was fully remade it could've been), until a Iwao/Lan Di spin off prequel duology launches. Shen3 was always going to be an inward small slow chapter like Yokosuka. Oh, I cannot wait for Yu to use (repurpose?) Shanghai and/or Beijing into Shen4/5. Focus on full remakes of first two until after a 4th and/or 5th are done. Let alone the prequels I fantasize about...

Suppose I would be fine with 4th being last, but not necessarily rushed, but jumped ahead fo final chapters. If there must be an early end, don't throw EVERYTHING and the kitchen sink just to say it is done. Respect how they held back on Baisha.

Last edited:
I'd be happy provided this was simultaneously announced by Ys Net:

Forget Suzuki's classic IPs, this is something I want to see and sounds just as epic (or moreso) than Shenmue:

Actually, I'm making what I want right now. I took all the best that was in Shenmue, all that “know-how”, dropped everything that I didn't like and was not interesting for me, and I'm making a new project. It will be a fantasy. Not China and not Japan, but a new fantasy world.

Here, I've already drawn characters for the game. I've drawn them myself. There are the protagonists, there is the sea, and there is a mountain and on the very top of it is a castle. It stands so high, to be able to see far away and watch for pirate ships that could attack the city. I like an artist Alphonse Mucha, and I decided to work in his style. Usually, designers are making all the illustrations for me, but this time I decided to draw them myself. This game already has a script, even the musi

In a perfect world, Suzuki pumps put Shenmue 4 and 5 by Nov 2023, and then someone funds that shit he is describing above.

In fact, this quote is what got me interested in Alphonse Mucha and art-nouveau myself

Back