General RGG Discussion

Wow the comment section under RGG Studios Facebook post
about the different Yakuza Like A Dragon versions is pretty negative.
I dont understand why there is no physical version where everything is included.
Also DLC content worth 30 USD / € right on day one and the Collectors Edition is still Japan exclusive.
Yakuza 6 can have a CE, the artbook version and normal version but the big new multi platform "reboot" of the series not?
Sometimes i really dont understand Sega

I mean all of his comments are about 2 years old,
you can even find comments where they said that they discussed about a new english dub but they are against it
so its not really up to date.
But it doesnt really matter for Kenzan and Ishin.

I think i never heard like official real reasons at all why they didnt translate Kenzan.
I think even Scott Strichart never mentioned Kenzan, he only talked about Ishin.
And in some interview before Judgment was released (? i think, maybe it was the FotNS release)
he said something like its not really worth the hassle because the way characters are talking in the game,
the names of minigames, hud elements etc are adjusted to the japanese time period where Ishin takes place
and it would be a lot of work to translate this exact style into english.

They were already super busy catching up with Yakuza 0, 6, Kiwami
and then of course Kiwami 2, Fist of the North Star, Judgment and 3-5 HD and now Like a Dragon.
So as Sam said, there was probably simply no time to even think about a Ishin translation in this time frame.
At least right now they are almost up to date, so maybe they will look into it after Like a Dragon
but i wouldnt count on it. I think they will shut away Kenzan, Ishin english release or Dead Souls HD
so they can release the next RGG Studio game worldwide on the same day
which means there will be no time for the Ishin translation, except if RGG Studio is working on
Kenzan / Ishin Remasters / Remakes.

That was a great interview/AMA/Whatever you want to call it, I remember it being an eye-opener and a confirmer for all our thoughts on the translations.

After seeing the shit on Reddit though and on Gamefaqs (guy there named Ren2 who is beyond a troll and a dick to anyone), I want to see Ishin! stay in Japan; if I can be greedy just for once, don't let these casuals/half-hearted fans get access to this wonderful title: they don't deserve it.

If I see another stupid/nonsensical/unfunny Yakuza 0 meme or another comment bashing the superb gameplay of 7, I'm going to put holes in walls.

Finished Kiryu's chapter / part / whatever in Yakuza 5,
including the one revelation move (didnt do the weapon revelations), all training missions, all taxi missions,
all races, hostess rang S, all side missions.
Also did all of Saejimas hunting main and side missions and about to leave that place.

I think i'm going to play Yakuza 6 after Yakuza 5 again. If i remember correctly Yakuza 6 was the second Yakuza game
i played directly after Yakuza 0 and back then i seriously had no idea what happened in the other storylines,
i had no idea about japanese politics or history in general or what kind of relationship China, South Korea and Japan has.
So there were tons of things that i didnt understand at all and i didnt even know what to think about the story.
I was completely lost.
So i will give it another go before November.

Maybe one day we'll get Ishin Kiwami? ;)

I still think that we will someday get another Samurai based Yakuza game and if it happens, I could see that one getting released world wide. Especially given the success of Tsushima and Sekiro. But yeah, the window is probably too late for Ishin. Ishin was a PS4 launch game in Japan. We're about ready to move into PS5. Are they really gonna spend the time and energy to do it when they're probably already moving the Dragon Engine over to PS5 hardware and are probably already building the next main line game? Or at least are in pre-production stage of the next game. Not to mention Judgement 2 if that turns out to be a thing. (which given sales, I wouldn't be surprised if they do a sequel to it)

Never say never, but I do see the point of the timing not being right to do it...sadly.

I've just purchased Yakuza 3-4-5 collection and wondering about the Haruka dancing questline in 5. Are they very long? because I'm not looking forward to it
From someone who does not enjoy rhythm games much, i can tell you it is very short--about 3 songs required total--and regardless it is done well and actually pretty fun. Combines Space Channel 5 with Parappa the Rapper GUI. Very nice blend of fun and ease.

As someone who has never been into rhythm games I surprisingly found Haruka's part to be the most engaging and it feels like the developers had fun with this part of the game. Its downright delightful at times. Its also in my opinion the best story arc along with Kiryu's.

Indeed, I found the Haruka portions incredibly different and refreshing, not to mention the side stuff with handshake events and "running girl," (lol) being a great diversion and fun/funny.

5 is an absolutely awesome game.

Well i'm not really a PC gamer, my computer is more like a internet browser machine with like 120 open tabs all the time.
I'm also not interested in the Series X because Xbox doesnt have the games / IPs that i like,
so to me it doesnt matter how powerful the Series X is.
So i guess i will just buy it on the PS4. Or if the PS5 is already out in that same time frame,
maybe its possible to play it on the PS5 just without the Series X resolution / framerate boost.
I'm not going to wait months after release to play it just because there is no PS5 patch on day one.

So I just started playing Yakuza Kiwami. Kiryu took the wrap for Nishikiyama killing Sohei Dojima. Kiryu does 10 years to find out his brother Nishiki is the bad guy WTF. In the words of Denzel Washington from Training Day,"You disloyal fool ass bitch made punk🤣." I thought Kiryu and Nishiki were bros forever.

Also Goro doesn't seem like the Goro from Yakuza 0. He kinda comes off as a sadistic asshole. Im still early in my playthrough but this feels very different to Yakuza 0.

It's another reason why I'm not as big a fan of 0 as the majority of the Western world is; it changed a fair amount of things around that were established by the previous 5 games in the series, namely (in this case) Majima and Kiryu's relationship (which also saw unnecessary changes in Kiwami).

Majima always had an attitude towards Kiryu of honour, however they were never friends or even companions; they simply were two guys on even levels of the Tojo Clan Hierarchy, when Majima got boosted to family head while Kiryu was in prison.

He is a boss, an antagonist (hence the reasoning behind why you fought him in the first two games) and only softened his attitude towards Kiryu, AFTER he ascended as the 4th. 2/Kiwami 2 is when Majima started to mellow-out a bit towards Kiryu and at that point, they became buddies, but before then, they were merely enemies who had a deep respect for each other and their past included infrequent encounters.

Then 0 happens and all of a sudden, due to one ******* scene, he's shoehorned as a companion to Kiryu, a long-lost friend; that last scene of the game was enjoyable as a fan, but it was so out of place, as they don't even know each other at that point in their lives.

Because of fanservice, Majima Anywhere happens (to death) and is completely out of place with the tone of the rest of the game; the Shimano family (of which Majima is a Captain) and the Dojima/Kazama families are rivals and do not get along, which is why Majima is much more antagonistic and sadistic towards Kiryu in 1/Kiwami and at first in 2/Kiwami 2.

The events at the beginning of 3 start to show a softer side of Majima, but 0 is a prequel and it completely negates that established character from earlier in the series.

Kiryu is also no punk; he's a loyal and fierce companion/brother to Nishkiyama and the rest of the game will show you how and (more importantly) WHEN Nishkiyama flipped the switched and turned into an antagonist... 1's plot is done so well and intelligently, probably due to the fact that it is the only plot of the game where Nagoshi was in charge of everything, save for the physical writing and putting together of ideas (which Seishu did, after he was brought on).

Anyways, a lot of mechanics may not be as smooth as other games in the series, but that's plainly due to the fact that the game was updated/remade basically 1:1, with graphical updates and an expansion of the fighting styles (and an updated soundtrack, which is arguably worse though still far from bad), but leaving everything else intact. Still, have fun with it and enjoy the excellent plot!

TL;DR 0 retconned a bunch of things and it didn't need to, hence why you see the difference.

It's another reason why I'm not as big a fan of 0 as the majority of the Western world is; it changed a fair amount of things around that were established by the previous 5 games in the series, namely (in this case) Majima and Kiryu's relationship (which also saw unnecessary changes in Kiwami).

Majima always had an attitude towards Kiryu of honour, however they were never friends or even companions; they simply were two guys on even levels of the Tojo Clan Hierarchy, when Majima got boosted to family head while Kiryu was in prison.

He is a boss, an antagonist (hence the reasoning behind why you fought him in the first two games) and only softened his attitude towards Kiryu, AFTER he ascended as the 4th. 2/Kiwami 2 is when Majima started to mellow-out a bit towards Kiryu and at that point, they became buddies, but before then, they were merely enemies who had a deep respect for each other and their past included infrequent encounters.

Then 0 happens and all of a sudden, due to one ******* scene, he's shoehorned as a companion to Kiryu, a long-lost friend; that last scene of the game was enjoyable as a fan, but it was so out of place, as they don't even know each other at that point in their lives.

Because of fanservice, Majima Anywhere happens (to death) and is completely out of place with the tone of the rest of the game; the Shimano family (of which Majima is a Captain) and the Dojima/Kazama families are rivals and do not get along, which is why Majima is much more antagonistic and sadistic towards Kiryu in 1/Kiwami and at first in 2/Kiwami 2.

The events at the beginning of 3 start to show a softer side of Majima, but 0 is a prequel and it completely negates that established character from earlier in the series.

Kiryu is also no punk; he's a loyal and fierce companion/brother to Nishkiyama and the rest of the game will show you how and (more importantly) WHEN Nishkiyama flipped the switched and turned into an antagonist... 1's plot is done so well and intelligently, probably due to the fact that it is the only plot of the game where Nagoshi was in charge of everything, save for the physical writing and putting together of ideas (which Seishu did, after he was brought on).

Anyways, a lot of mechanics may not be as smooth as other games in the series, but that's plainly due to the fact that the game was updated/remade basically 1:1, with graphical updates and an expansion of the fighting styles (and an updated soundtrack, which is arguably worse though still far from bad), but leaving everything else intact. Still, have fun with it and enjoy the excellent plot!

TL;DR 0 retconned a bunch of things and it didn't need to, hence why you see the difference.

I really liked Goro's character I was hoping I could still play as him but its cool. Kiryu is still a badass option.

Finally! A western release date!

Wasn’t the date already known anyways? When I pre ordered it on PSN, it had November 13 on expected release date.

Makes me wonder why they were being so hush about it when the digital pre order straight up told us.

Could it be November 13th is the launch date for Xbox Series X as well and SEGA were under orders to keep it hush for a little bit?

Also, it’s late August and they still haven’t given us dates for either of those consoles yet. Am I the only one who finds that weird?

Wasn’t the date already known anyways? When I pre ordered it on PSN, it had November 13 on expected release date.

Makes me wonder why they were being so hush about it when the digital pre order straight up told us.

Could it be November 13th is the launch date for Xbox Series X as well and SEGA were under orders to keep it hush for a little bit?

Also, it’s late August and they still haven’t given us dates for either of those consoles yet. Am I the only one who finds that weird?

I dont know why they kept it a secret but for example on Steam if you open the DLC store pages,
it always listed November 13 as release date, long before Sega announced it.
But Sega also made a secret out of the supported languages for whatever reason.
At first they updated the Steam store page along with the western announcement
and listed spanish, french, german, italian and english texts and subtitles,
then they deleted everything except english
and never said a word about other languages again. Also no one from Sega or the localization team
answered any questions about the other languages.
Then weeks later the other languages were pretty much confirmed
because some EU online stores listed them as supported languages
and then Sega came out with the announcement that these languages are supported
and that there will be also a english dub.
For whatever reason it still says that only english is supported on Steam ...

So Yakuza Kiwami has Virtual Fighter arcades but you can't play them. Why not? Cmon Sega😓

Last edited:
I really dont like the hostess club manager minigame in 3 & 4
It feels like its completely try & error in the beginning and after figuring out what kind of combinations + training
boosts which stats, you just load presets for the next section.
And then the hostess thing where you see if you failed or not is super boring too.
Nothing happens, you are just in the club for 2 seconds
to check if you have to change anything and thats it.

I played the updated manager game in Yakuza 0 for hours and hours and hours and it was always fun,
the old version in the remasters gets boring after 7 minutes.

I really dont like the hostess club manager minigame in 3 & 4
It feels like its completely try & error in the beginning and after figuring out what kind of combinations + training
boosts which stats, you just load presets for the next section.
And then the hostess thing where you see if you failed or not is super boring too.
Nothing happens, you are just in the club for 2 seconds
to check if you have to change anything and thats it.

I played the updated manager game in Yakuza 0 for hours and hours and hours and it was always fun,
the old version in the remasters gets boring after 7 minutes.
I ended up using Gamefaqs. Worst minigame in the whole franchise so far, it is Stat Comparision game but going blind. Fuck that minigame.

Back