General RGG Discussion

Why did they switch Majima character up in Yakuza 0? He was a nice easy going badass dude but in Kiwami he is a sadisticšŸ¤¬. He kidnapped a little girl that's not the Goro I know.

Here is the part from the Rocketbeans Gamescom interview where they talked about the missing games. (Kenzan / Ishin)
(just this specific part, not the part where they talked about how their goal for the past five years was
catching up with the asian releases)

There are still some Yakuza games from the past that either have not been remastered or even localized for the west.
Are there plans so to speak for completing the set in the future, maybe even more Kiwami titles?

We are interested in doing what Japan is gonna do at this point.
Yes, we absolutely recognize that there are some holes in the backlog ... that we wanna do,
that Japan wants us to do. Its literally just a matter of finding space for them on the slate.
Like you already said, there are oversaturation issues ... do we stop doing new things to put out old things,
do we just put out the old thing in the middle of working on a new thing and say please buy both?
Theres definitely an issue there with not wanting to oversaturate the market.
Thats kinda where we landed on unfortunately. I mean as much as we all wanna do it,
we need to find the time and space.

(as already said, there was no time and space until now because they needed the whole team
to catch up with the RGG games that came out after the original Yakuza 5)

Letā€™s see if I can count it right...

Yakuza 1
Yakuza 2
Yakuza Kenzan
Yakuza 3
Yakuza 4
Yakuza Dead Souls
Yakuza 5
Yakuza Ishin
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza 0
Yakuza 6
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Yakuza 7
plus the 2 PSP games I donā€™t recall the names of

That accounts for 15 of them but thatā€™s just off the top of my head. I guess thereā€™s the ports of 3, 4, and 5on the PS4 now, as well as the original ports of 1 and 2 on the ps3(and a Nintendo system maybe?). Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™m missing.

Kenzan!
Kurohyo
Dead Souls
Kurohyo 2
Ishin!
Kiwami
Kiwami 2
Hokuto ga Gotoku
Judge Eyes

That should be chronological order, off the top of my head.

Why did they switch Majima character up in Yakuza 0? He was a nice easy going badass dude but in Kiwami he is a sadisticšŸ¤¬. He kidnapped a little girl that's not the Goro I know.

As I said in that post on the previous page, retconning shit doesn't jive.

Majima was originally SO over and popular with the Japanese crowd, BECAUSE he was sadistic and crazy, which is (probably) why his popularity has waned in Japan in the past 5 years or so.

During the character election in 2013, he was second the whole election time, just making it to first in the last day, IIRC (Kiryu was first the whole time, then came second). Daigo was 3rd.

If you did the election now, guarantee Majima would be 2nd-4th.

Ah, somehow I forgot about the Fist of the North Star and Judgement games...though to be honest it feels to me that they ā€œshouldā€ be separate, in a similar way to how Hyrule Warriors is a Zelda spin-off rather than included in the Dynasty Warriors series, but I guess thatā€™s just sort of splitting hairs. Still have yet to finish either despite both having been more interesting to me.

Can it, though? I don't mean to be a shitlord, but the almost cartoonish hypermasculinity is a big part of the series' appeal to me. To me, it never looked like they were targeting men and women equally and just fucked up on appealing to women, but rather that it was always aimed squarely at those of us who are still dumb schoolboys at heart.
And certainly to me. I would probably not play it anymore if yakuza switched to something "2020 western standards" but nowadays it seems some people find this kind of content ofensive and can drive sales and market direction...

I just beat Yakuza 4 for the first time (remaster) and man it feels so fucking short and rushed. Tanimura and Kiryu's part were underwhelming. The worst, absolute worst part however is the final boss. WHO THE FUCK thought it was good idea to
have this pussy run away with a sway of soldiers defending him as the last fight?

I think Yakuza 3 is better to be honest

These side missions in the Yakuza games are brilliant. While they are very basic in nature they still are very enjoyable and often touching. I like how the the missions don't feel forced just organic. Like you are really living in Tokyo minding your business and a stranger has a weird requestšŸ˜‚.

I think its hilarious that a adult Yakuza member(Kiryu) is having a rivialy with kids in Arcade game about female bug charactersšŸ˜‚. Man I love this game.

After having played Mushiking in Joypolis (in Tokyo), I can honestly say it is SO MUCH FUN! Who knew Janken could actually be this fun?

If I lived in Japan, I'd probably be spending a good coin on it monthly lol

I like 4 for introducing both Akiyama and Saejima but thatā€™s about it. 3 I think overall had the better story. That said, being the first two I played, well...itā€™s kinda tough to say but if the main titles, I feel 3, 4, and 5 all feel kind of meandering in terms of plot. 1, 2, 0, and 6 all feel better to me.

I didnt finish Yakuza 4 yet, not even close, because i played 3 and 5 first
and i still have so many other games left.

But the game where i kinda felt like 'meh' was Kiwami 2.
I dont know why but the story really didnt grab me and the ending was so sudden
and i cant remember any big woah what a surprise moments. I also didnt like the look of some of the cutscenes
like with Ryuji Goda in the cabaret club, the camera is in close up all the time and its just really boring camera work
because all you see is a face and in the background a super basic red wall texture.

Also i really didnt like that whole castle thing.
I can turn a blind eye to the elevator ship in 0 or things like the skateboard scene in Judgment.
(small things like the mountain god character in 4 or whatever is also fine)
Theres a thin line between funny, cool, ridiculous. The scale and context is important.
A whole shining castle out of nowhere with tigers and ninjas like we are entering some magical region
is way too much for my taste. Thats pretty much the only scene i remember from all main Yakuza games
where i felt like this is really not that cool.

I know that 6 has some comparable things but at least 6 has a huge background story for the whole thing
with a lot of context and information.

I didnt finish Yakuza 4 yet, not even close, because i played 3 and 5 first
and i still have so many other games left.

But the game where i kinda felt like 'meh' was Kiwami 2.
I dont know why but the story really didnt grab me and the ending was so sudden
and i cant remember any big woah what a surprise moments. I also didnt like the look of some of the cutscenes
like with Ryuji Goda in the cabaret club, the camera is in close up all the time and its just really boring camera work
because all you see is a face and in the background a super basic red wall texture.

Also i really didnt like that whole castle thing.
I can turn a blind eye to the elevator ship in 0 or things like the skateboard scene in Judgment.
(small things like the mountain god character in 4 or whatever is also fine)
Theres a thin line between funny, cool, ridiculous. The scale and context is important.
A whole shining castle out of nowhere with tigers and ninjas like we are entering some magical region
is way too much for my taste. Thats pretty much the only scene i remember from all main Yakuza games
where i felt like this is really not that cool.

I know that 6 has some comparable things but at least 6 has a huge background story for the whole thing
with a lot of context and information.

As with almost everything wrong with 2, Seishu's doing; give a guy too much free reign and ridiculousness abounds.

Hmm, what does 6 have that's comparable? There's nothing like the castle in it.

As with almost everything wrong with 2, Seishu's doing; give a guy too much free reign and ridiculousness abounds.

Hmm, what does 6 have that's comparable? There's nothing like the castle in it.

I mean in terms of huge scale surprises that can feel out of place. The whole secret of Onomichi thing.
If you are not paying 100% attention the whole time, this is a part that can also feel a bit too ridiculous.
Just because all of a sudden the storyline gets way bigger than it was before.
But if you pay attention and if you are interested in history and politics,
its handled way better because the whole thing has its own story with explanation and everything.

The stuff in Kiwami 2 feels totally random, like you are in some kind of magic show with weird tricks.
Its just supposed to be cool or whatever but thats it, theres nothing more than hot air.
Of course the Onomichi thing is supposed to be cool too but theres a whole meaning behind it.

So yeah, so far Kiwami 2 is my least favourite part in the series.

But if you pay attention and if you are interested in history and politics,
its handled way better because the whole thing has its own story with explanation and everything.

So yeah, so far Kiwami 2 is my least favourite part in the series.

Those two statements just made me smile huge :D

Yeah the "secret of Onomichi" is really enhanced upon a second play through. Same with the final boss even though I still think they could've made him look more imposing face-wise.
Its a shame that the game had a bit of gameplay downgrade (no weapons, styles, etc...) because of the newengine and running out of time and issues with transparency shaders at least with a normal ps4 I have to close my eyes in the batting cages due the fps drop that happens there or I get headaches.

Since Ishin is never going to be localized outside Japan. I decided to just throw caution to the wind and use the KHH Guide.

View attachment 8835

Didnt you read the most recent interview from Gamescom?
Sure, it wont come out next week or whatever but it didnt sound like they dropped the game at all.
It purely depends on how much new content RGG Studio is gooing to put out
and if the localization team can keep up with that.

For example, if RGG Studio doesnt work on Judgment 2 or Yakuza (8) or whatever right now,
like if there would be some kind of pause,
i'm pretty sure the localization team would start to translate Ishin immediately.

I think the chances for at least Ishin are way better now than before
because its the first time that the localization team caught up to the japanese team.
The interview tweets had still up to two thousand, three thousand likes, so theres still
interest on both sides.

Back