General RGG Discussion

Isn't there already a Yakuza Movie?

I can't say I've seen it mind you...
Yes but thats a low budget indie movie, made with a permission by Sega.
Sega, Nagoshi, RGG were not directly involved in the production. They just said yeah okay,
and then everything else was handled by the movie company.

The new project seems more like the movie / studio crew have the right to create a Yakuza project
but it will only happen if Sega / Nagoshi approve the whole thing.

Correct; it was a Miike film and he took many liberties with the plot, characters and the like.

Not to mention that he shoehorned 2 original characters that have nothing to do with anything (literally; they have 0 to do with the actual plot).

This is what I meant back in other threads about creators doing their own original characters and plots; just stick to the damn plot of the game and stop creating original people for the film; the in-game characters are more than good enough.

^ Totally agree. As big of a Miike fan as I am, the film sucked. It nailed a decent portion of the game’s atmosphere, and Goro Kishitani as Majima was fantastic. But it’s not enough to cement it as a good adaptation. The original for-the-film characters were useless, boring, and just frustrating to watch.

It was translated from one of Sega's Tokyo Game Show streams.
I think it was the Sega / Atlus stream on September 27

The upcoming Toshihiro Nagoshi interview about the Yakuza franchise anniversary
is made by these guys

They accepted user questions a couple of weeks ago,
so i asked if he / they consider tweaking content for future Yakuza games to cater to more western players
because of the ongoing hype / new fanbase in EU / NA or because of feedback from those regions
or if it always be a 100% full japanese game series that just gets translated.
I dont know if they used the question or not, we will see in 4-6 weeks.

Finally!

Only £2 more too, think I might wait this one out.

I started Yakuza 5 on PS4 last night, it's opening is VERY slow... not bad but the night out with your Cab boss just seemed to drag on a bit too long. Also I don't feel the Remaster Upgrade is as polished as the previous 2 - Luckily being a later made game it still looks great anyway. Still egaer to play it but just wasn't expecing it to be that slow.

I'm not gonna wait. The PS5 version will still be the same game,
judging by the PS5 footage the difference is framerate (60 fps) and resolution (1440p+)
instead of 30 fps 1080p and thats nice to have but its not a must for me.
The 30 fps lock in the japanese demo version was totally fine, i didnt see any drops
and 4 months of waiting seems a bit "too dangerous" in terms of spoilers.
By that time dozens of Xbox, PC and PS4 players will have finished this
and upload Youtube playthroughs, ending spoilers, news and all that stuff and i dont want to see that.
We will probably talk about the game here too and i dont want to ignore this thread for 4 months
and then catch up dozens of sites and posts in march.

My feeling is that unless it’s a remake of an older game, crossgen games typically don’t see a huge difference. Both WiiU and Switch versions of Breath of the Wild were more or less identical to me aside from very slight framerate issues in specific areas. A bit more of a difference between having beat MGSV on both 360 and PS4 but they were both essentially the same experience. Maybe it helps that I don’t want a PS5 anyway but Yakuza 7 feels like most of its dev time has been for PS4 anyway.

Finally!

Only £2 more too, think I might wait this one out.

I started Yakuza 5 on PS4 last night, it's opening is VERY slow... not bad but the night out with your Cab boss just seemed to drag on a bit too long. Also I don't feel the Remaster Upgrade is as polished as the previous 2 - Luckily being a later made game it still looks great anyway. Still egaer to play it but just wasn't expecing it to be that slow.
Trust me, it's the only part of the game like that (thankfully lol). There are a lot of exposition scenes, with a lot of dialogue in that manner, but they A: Aren't as long and B: Actually tell you things relevant to the plot lol.

The plot is excellent in 5 and the gameplay variation is vast; things pick up in Kuryu's 3rd chapter/

Since we're on a spinoff in the dev. cycle, it could very well be the next game to come out.

Anyone with a beat on Japan know what Kimura has been up to lately? lol

Wow, they actually dubbed Karaoke. No half measures. I thought they may have cut corners kind of like they did with Judgment. I mean, Judgement didn't have Karaoke but it did cut corners with its English dub in certain places.

Man, next month is stacked; Cyberpunk 2077. Yakuza 7. Spider-man: Miles Morales. Amongst others. And yet, Yakuza 7 English version will probably take reign for me again above all else. (I really liked this game when playing the Japanese version and am very keen to go back for another playthrough)

Really not a fan of the dub. The voices for Yagami and Kaito were pretty good in Judgment
but its sounds strange in Yakuza 7. How to describe it?
It sounds way too forced? Like they tried to imitate the over the top japanese style
but it sounds weird with the american voices because it doesnt fit the language.

Also i have to say, one thing that really gets on my nerves since Yakuza is riding the hype train,
i never see any real discussions about the great stories or characters or stuff like that,
instead it seems like all the comment sections are always about memes.
And the same thing happens with Yakuza 7, all the comment sections are like "never killed anyone gif",
"baka mi tai", "haha its the chicken again", "these guys are on drugs", "this is a crazy title for my Series X day one!",
"this is my new Saints Row", "Kiryu kicking the door gif", "finally i can understand the jokes with the english dub",
"oh man these weird asian games", "i hope the man babies are back" ...

I dont know man, is this really what Yakuza is about to the big (new) audience, just some funny meme games?
I dont want to sound like some butthurt tryhard fan but i think its kind of disrespectful
to pretend like Yakuza is just some giant funny asian meme generator, no?

This is why I want the game to stay in Japan (wishful thinking, with how much money they've made with the translated versions in the West) or, at the very least, keep it in Japanese and don't let Westerners touch it.

The Reddit pages get me super agitated, especially when I ask if anyone's heard anything about an OST coming out for 7 and they respond, "it's on Spotify!"

1. No it isn't.
2. If you look, it's a piecemeal of random Karaoke songs or whatever.
3. You can't download from Spotify.
4. Spotify sucks (such a POS and useless app; files will always be better over streaming).
5. NO OST HAS BEEN RELEASED YET: JUST SAY THAT.

Nope, it's all full of horrid 0 memes and casuals that haven't the faintest clue about the intricate plots, characters and just what this games represents about Japan; it is SO off-putting and frustrating.

One thing I'm wondering about with the dub: wonder how they'll manage pulling off this magnificent sub story.
I know they'll make it work, but there's something about it that works perfectly given English/Japanese.

The dub sounds great to me. Judgment having a dub is what motivated me to get it since I'm a dub guy all the way. And judging by that trailer, the voices sound just as good as Judgment's dub which was fantastic.

Has there been any word on whether we can pick languages? I’m gonna assume it’s like Judgement but who can say. I’m not gonna say the English is automatically bad, just that with certain games for me it just makes things feel more immersive to have the “correct” language instead.

Last edited:
For now, definitely Yakuza 7 and Noah’s there been any word on whether we can pick languages? I’m gonna assume it’s like Judgement but who can say. I’m not gonna say the English is automatically bad, just that with certain games for me it just makes things feel more immersive to have the “correct” language instead.
Scott Strichart, the localization producer, said that you can choose the voice (eng / jap) and text language
right at the start.
Also english is like its own thing because english has its own subtitle file
so the english subs are matching the english dub.
If you play with german text for example, the subtitles are translated from the japanese dub
so the translation can look a little weird if you choose the eng dub there because its 1:1 translated from japanese, not english.
Or lets say it was like that in the german Gamescom demo version, dont know if they changed it
but i doubt that they did two whole text files for every text language, that would be ridiculous.

Last edited:
Back