General RGG Discussion

I doubt they will do a Kiwami 3 anyways. I think that was the point of the ports. Remaking 1 and 2 was understandable given their age, but 3,4 and 5 mostly hold up so I can't see them doing a Kiwami for those.

I'm with Truck. Time for new stuff. It was nice getting full on remakes of 1 and 2 but I'm ready for new stuff.

Its kind of weird that PC and Xbox players "have to" play Yakuza 7 first before they can finish
the original main storyline. Like stopping at Kiwami 2 and then suddenly a big jump to completely different events
and i dont know if its a good plan to give players the newest RGG Studio game with the most up to date engine now
and then expect them to go back to Yakuza 3 - 6 later.
Not that these games look terrible but it will scare some people off, especially new players,
when they see how Yakuza 3 - 6 look like in comparison months after they played Y7.

And i doubt that it has anything to do with Sony exclusive rights, Yakuza 3 - 5 are just re releases of PS3 games,
Yakuza 6 is already 2 and a half years old, they even talked about Judgment for PC in 2019
and nothing happened. So it feels like Sega really didnt want to release anything else
except the 3 - 5 PS4 box for the "original" fans, so that people will only focus on Yakuza Like A Dragon.
I can understand that this new release is more important, especially because of Xbox Series X,
multiplatform all on the same day with different language options and all that
but its still weird to start porting the old storyline to PC and Xbox and then suddenly it just stops.

Seems a bit wonky.

Its kind of weird that PC and Xbox players "have to" play Yakuza 7 first before they can finish
the original main storyline. Like stopping at Kiwami 2 and then suddenly a big jump to completely different events
and i dont know if its a good plan to give players the newest RGG Studio game with the most up to date engine now
and then expect them to go back to Yakuza 3 - 6 later.
Not that these games look terrible but it will scare some people off, especially new players,
when they see how Yakuza 3 - 6 look like in comparison months after they played Y7.

And i doubt that it has anything to do with Sony exclusive rights, Yakuza 3 - 5 are just re releases of PS3 games,
Yakuza 6 is already 2 and a half years old, they even talked about Judgment for PC in 2019
and nothing happened. So it feels like Sega really didnt want to release anything else
except the 3 - 5 PS4 box for the "original" fans, so that people will only focus on Yakuza Like A Dragon.
I can understand that this new release is more important, especially because of Xbox Series X,
multiplatform all on the same day with different language options and all that
but its still weird to start porting the old storyline to PC and Xbox and then suddenly it just stops.

Seems a bit wonky.
Yeah, I know. They keep saying Like A Dragon is a fresh start but it really isn't. Yes, it's mostly new stuff but still, the returning characters and small threads that carry over would be completely lost on newcomers.

But to be fair, I think it's more a case Microsoft realising "Shit! We have nothing at launch that stands out. Let's money hat! Yakuza seems to be doing well. Might make for a notable launch game"

Yeah, I know. They keep saying Like A Dragon is a fresh start but it really isn't. Yes, it's mostly new stuff but still, the returning characters and small threads that carry over would be completely lost on newcomers.

But to be fair, I think it's more a case Microsoft realising "Shit! We have nothing at launch that stands out. Let's money hat! Yakuza seems to be doing well. Might make for a notable launch game"
Yes, fans need to know why
Kiryu makes a cameo
along with who
certain returning characters are such as Saejima, Daigo, and some others
and what their roles are. One certain party member is also going to be confusing to those who haven't played 6.

Yes, fans need to know why
Kiryu makes a cameo
along with who
certain returning characters are such as Saejima, Daigo, and some others
and what their roles are. One certain party member is also going to be confusing to those who haven't played 6.

Not really; there are 0 to no ties to 6 in the plot, thus it doesn't really matter.

As for the spoilered part, the first one is also irrelevant to 7's plot (the WHY), but the second one is basically elaborated upon in the dialogue that follows.

Early reviews for Yakuza 7 are already out there, even with full spoiler video clips
where you can hear the english casting for the "surprise" characters.
So watch out if you dont want to see or hear anything.

So far the PS4 version has a 84/100 and the Xbox version has a 91/100 on Metacritic
as a result voted by 26 sites / magazines
and 87/100 voted by 54 reviews on OpenCritic

We might lose sega arvades in the next yakuza. https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/11/05/business/corporate-business/sega-sammy-arcades-genda/

Sega sammy is selling sega entertainment (arcades) to genda.
According to this Famitsu article they will keep the Sega branding and continue to make arcade games but they will move some staff to their console development areas.

I'd imagine they will be able to continue to use these in the Yakuza/other games if they wanted to.

Very weird, it seems like Sega has delayed (?) the Yakuza 7 Xbox Series X/S release in Japan
without announcing a date. The japanese Series X/S version was already playable for the japanese press
and it worked fine (why wouldnt it?) but instead of releasing it on November 10,
Sega just said that there is no release date for the japanese Yakuza 7 Xbox Series X/S version yet.
You can find some old japanese articles with optimized X/S lists where Yakuza 7 popped up
but most of the links are broken / deleted now.
So it seems like Microsoft and or Sega had plans to release a japanese version for X/S but stopped it at some point.
Did Sega already gave up the next gen Xbox in Japan?

Last edited:
Early reviews for Yakuza 7 are already out there, even with full spoiler video clips
where you can hear the english casting for the "surprise" characters.
So watch out if you dont want to see or hear anything.

So far the PS4 version has a 84/100 and the Xbox version has a 91/100 on Metacritic
as a result voted by 26 sites / magazines
and 87/100 voted by 54 reviews on OpenCritic
Which XBox because they're like God knows how many of them lol

Very weird, it seems like Sega has delayed (?) the Yakuza 7 Xbox Series X/S release in Japan
without announcing a date. The japanese Series X/S version was already playable for the japanese press
and it worked fine (why wouldnt it?) but instead of releasing it on November 10,
Sega just said that there is no release date for the japanese Yakuza 7 Xbox Series X/S version yet.
You can find some old japanese articles with optimized X/S lists where Yakuza 7 popped up
but most of the links are broken / deleted now.
So it seems like Microsoft and or Sega had plans to release a japanese version for X/S but stopped it at some point.
Did Sega already gave up the next gen Xbox in Japan?
I have not seen the XBox release at all promoted in Japan.

Because of the new Xbox Series X and S release. Both editions were sold out in the pre order phase
in Japan and South Korea and of course Microsoft is trying to convince people to buy their next gen.
And it seemed like Sega was on board because they had a playable japanese Xbox Series X version,
the japanese press was able to play it and japanese info websites listed the features (fps upgrade etc)
for the japanese Yakuza 7 Xbox version. But instead of announcing that the japanese next gen version
will be released on day one, they didnt announce a release date at all.
I mean why would they produce a japanese Xbox version with japanese only text
and then not release it together with the next gen?

I'm about 10 hours into Yakuza 6 at the moment and I really love it. I wish i'd have played it after Zero, the Kiwami games really dulled my excitement for the franchise. You can tell the team really honed their craft during the mainline games as the writing and quality of the side content is much better in this one than both the Kiwami remakes (cabaret club aside, which is brilliant) The Onomichi side mission made me laugh more than any other game I can think of in a while. Tempted to halt progress for now though and play it on PS5 next week, hopefully with some BC improvements.

So I started Yakuza 7 for the second time. Started off with the English Dub just out of curiosity. Not a fan of English Ichiban. I don't know, the voice just didn't seem right for Ichiban. I really liked the original Japanese actor, whereas I felt the English voice actor just didn't sound right to me. George Takai as Arakawa isn't too bad, but yeah, not a fan of English Ichiban for reasons I can't explain. Think I much prefer his Japanese counterpart.

Back