General RGG Discussion

I'm playing with japanese voices and german subtitles. Works pretty good.
There are some mistakes in it, for example it seems like they forgot to remove / edit / translate
these small lines in cutscenes where it says "heavy breathing", "surprised noise"
so everything is german but there are these random little lines in english in there.
Also sometimes when a party member leaves and its just Ichiban alone,
other people still talk to Ichiban like they are talking to a group instead of one person.

When choosing the language in the beginning it also said that all text languages except english
are translated from japanese, so playing with english voices is not really recommended with other text languages.
And its easy to tell that the "english version" and the japanese translated version are different.
I watched some full english streams and there are tons of differences in the dialogue.

I watched a bit of english streams first before my game even arrived and i thought it was okay
but after playing with the japanese voices for 10 hours and then watching more english streams
i have to say that japanese option just sounds correct.
English has this like forced cool 80s / 90s dubbed asian movie vibe. And this works with the material of that time period
but i dont think it works really well with a 2019 / 2020 videogame.
It just sounds wrong after listening to the original.

Finally got my copy...can’t wait to play. My uncle had this armored mailbox installed so basically nobody could steal his mail, so you need a key for it, but my folks had been away all day with the key while it just sat in there.

Will likely play with Japanese VA like I’ve done with each previous Yakuza and Sekiro. Maybe one day I’ll try it with Shenmue

3FE4EC73-FCCD-40AC-8872-7FB50700A215.jpeg

Sega + Microsoft sent a limited Like A Dragon launch day package to influencers.
It includes a Legendary Edition of the game,
bomber jacket with Ichibans tattoo on the back,
a custom made Like A Dragon Xbox controller
and a hand signed poster by Horitomo (Kazuaki Kitamura), real-life tattoo artist,
whose designs have been used in all the Yakuza games.
It seems like only 50 of these packages have been produced worldwide.

j1f.png
c1f.png
c1b.png
p1f.png

I got this in the mail yesterday and almost totally forgot that I preordered it. I’ve played about an hour so far, but most of that has been just sitting and watching the cutscenes. It’s too early for me to really judge how I like the game, and I really do want to like it, but I guess I’m just unimpressed so far. Hopefully something will come up soon to change that for me though.

Played for a number of hours so far and I’ve got some mixed feelings on it. Will try not to give too much detailed spoilers. Keep in mind that for whatever reason I was pretty exhausted yesterday and fell asleep at some points and so I might have lost a few details.

The main thing seems to be cutscene to gameplay ratio so far. Maybe it’s just an indication of just how big the game will be, not even getting to the first sidequest for many hours, but I am just a tad worried. I know others in the series have lengthy openings but this one really takes the cake. At the very least, the story and characters all seem pretty engaging, even if a lot of the plot points seem like retreads from the first Yakuza. I guess that’s sort of the point though, to show the differences of the new protagonist as well as to explore different themes in the same sort of setting.

As far as what little gameplay I did get, well, it was certainly different. It’s a bit difficult to get into battle and forget I’m not about to go ham on a bunch of thugs that should be nothing. I’m kind of missing the brutality of things like heat actions and such. That and so far it’s pretty simplistic, even for turn based standards. Hoping it really opens up more as I actually get other party members and jobs. I do remember thinking the demo was a lot of fun so maybe it’s not far off from where I left off.

Doesn’t matter so much now but I had pretty awful luck booting the game. Granted, while in the process of moving, I hadn’t turned my PS4 on in over a month. I did make sure it updated and did everything it needed to, but as soon as I started a new game, I got an error code. Odd, so I tried again, and again. Then I tried to back out and close the game once it started making my system real loud, but it had trouble closing it as well. Then it told me to send a report before suddenly shutting down of its own accord. Tried again and was told the save data was corrupted. Thankfully after that I had no issues, just hope nothing like that will happen again. The load times seem a little on the long side and I don’t know if that’s just how it is or if it’s my console.

@BloodyHeartland

I think it only downloaded one patch for me and that patch was around 1 GB
+ 9 GB for the slot machines DLC.
When i press continue from the main menu, load time is around 40 seconds (chapter four).
Load times between cutscenes are around 5-15 seconds i guess.
So far the game didnt crash even once (playtime 14 hours)
but as far as i can remember no old Yakuza or new Dragon Engine Yakuza game
ever crashed on my PS4 (Pro). Its the old model from before RDR2.

Yeah this was an odd one for me as I’ve never had anything like it happen before, Yakuza or otherwise. I’m thinking it’s more with my particular PS4 itself because things like the store have caused issues before. I got it around the time Bloodborne came out so I guess it’s a little old?

Played for a number of hours so far and I’ve got some mixed feelings on it. Will try not to give too much detailed spoilers. Keep in mind that for whatever reason I was pretty exhausted yesterday and fell asleep at some points and so I might have lost a few details.

The main thing seems to be cutscene to gameplay ratio so far. Maybe it’s just an indication of just how big the game will be, not even getting to the first sidequest for many hours, but I am just a tad worried. I know others in the series have lengthy openings but this one really takes the cake. At the very least, the story and characters all seem pretty engaging, even if a lot of the plot points seem like retreads from the first Yakuza. I guess that’s sort of the point though, to show the differences of the new protagonist as well as to explore different themes in the same sort of setting.

As far as what little gameplay I did get, well, it was certainly different. It’s a bit difficult to get into battle and forget I’m not about to go ham on a bunch of thugs that should be nothing. I’m kind of missing the brutality of things like heat actions and such. That and so far it’s pretty simplistic, even for turn based standards. Hoping it really opens up more as I actually get other party members and jobs. I do remember thinking the demo was a lot of fun so maybe it’s not far off from where I left off.

Doesn’t matter so much now but I had pretty awful luck booting the game. Granted, while in the process of moving, I hadn’t turned my PS4 on in over a month. I did make sure it updated and did everything it needed to, but as soon as I started a new game, I got an error code. Odd, so I tried again, and again. Then I tried to back out and close the game once it started making my system real loud, but it had trouble closing it as well. Then it told me to send a report before suddenly shutting down of its own accord. Tried again and was told the save data was corrupted. Thankfully after that I had no issues, just hope nothing like that will happen again. The load times seem a little on the long side and I don’t know if that’s just how it is or if it’s my console.
Don't worry, the variety of gameplay picks up super-quick, once you get to Yokohama (chapter 3).

There's a shit-ton to do in this game.

Yes, the first few chapters are pretty lengthy in terms of being cut scene heavy. But considering how much they have to establish involving all of these new characters, it’s kind of understandable to some degree.

The game does open up around the time you get to Yokohama. But yeah, those first few chapters are pretty lengthy.

Been playing all day and finally got a chance to explore Yokohama with the homeless dude in my party. Been scavenging for cash, but then found that I could take money out of an ATM. Then I immediately lost half of it after losing a random battle.

Yeah...I’m not really feeling this.

I like it a lot. Its really refreshing to have something new after playing like lets say
3-11 or 15 years of Yakuza brawler gameplay. The fights are over super fast if you know / remember
the weakpoints of the enemies. Even the big group fights can be finished in like 10-30 seconds
with heavy aoe attacks. Actually i'm pretty sure all of the normal fights are over faster than in the old games
as soon as you get more attacks than the ones you have in the beginning (after 8-12 hours)
I can kill some of these lower level groups with one single attack by Ichiban.
I was never able to kill a whole group of enemies in 5 seconds in the old games.

I'm leveling up Ichiban / the group pretty much after every story mission or side mission.
When i see that only 50% exp is left until the next character or job level up
i'm starting a little 10 minute grinding session until all have some kind of level up
and then i'm repeating this after the next story / side mission.
I dont mind it at all. While i was grinding i found some stuff that i sold at the pawn shop,
with that money i bought the whole team some new medium quality weapons,
then next time some new medium quality armor,
then the next time i had more money left so i was able to grind high level enemies
because i was able to eat at one of the restaurants right there, so leveling was even faster.

In the meantime i look for safes or other hidden loot, set my waypoint to the next mission,
killing all the enemies on the way, hey only 15% exp left until level up, lets do this before i start the mission.
It all makes sense to me, i have zero complaints at the moment.

Been playing all day and finally got a chance to explore Yokohama with the homeless dude in my party. Been scavenging for cash, but then found that I could take money out of an ATM. Then I immediately lost half of it after losing a random battle.

Yeah...I’m not really feeling this.
lol that's fine! You do need to grind at a consistent rate (not constantly, but consistently). Once you learn what attacks work well against whichever enemy, it gets a lot simpler.

The only thing with this game is that you need to know WHEN to upgrade, grind, etc., because it gets very tricky as you progress through the chapters.

Different strokes for different folks; not everyone is into the turn-based combat, but it works SUPER well, thankfully and, like Tosh said, it's refreshing.

@danielmann861, isn't it fun to see people comment their initial thoughts on a game you platinumed a while ago? I feel so advanced :D

I’ve been enjoying it more a few more chapters in. I do feel like I should slow down a bit and do more of the side content, but I have heard it’s easy to accidentally overlevel. A lot of the enemy designs are hilarious and creative, as are the summons, and I like that positioning matters a bit more than I initially thought. The city is pretty big, but still packed with detail - a part which I was worried about with how many locales that were in 5 that felt big but empty. I’m kind of amazed at the amount of new content when 6 and what little I’ve played of Judgement having felt a bit shallow, as good as the main stuff was.

I love overleveling,
its so funny when theres a big enemy introduction in a side mission or whatever
and they are all screaming Lets do this!
And then the fight is over after one single attack and Ichiban is like "your are a pretty tough guy"
kappa.png

@danielmann861, isn't it fun to see people comment their initial thoughts on a game you platinumed a while ago? I feel so advanced :D

It feels like being a shitty privileged gaming journo getting an early review copy. Only difference is I’m not bitching to everyone about how privileged they are for ignoring real world issues ;) (yeah I'm throwing shade at that bullshit Kotaku PS4 review)

Seriously though, it is different.

I still quite like the game and am enjoying it again on second play through.

once you reach a certain point in this game, money becomes a complete non issue for anyone worried about that. ;) you’ll be making more money than you know what to do with if you grind the investment mini game.

Last edited:
I found four golden plates randomly while i was "farming" vending machines,
so money was only a real problem in the first 6 hours
but the fights were super easy so i didnt need the restaurants or shops
(i stayed away from all the high level districts)

It was pretty cool when i had more money after these 6 hours
because i visited some random restaurant and ordered some kind of sweet dessert
and suddenly there was a extra restaurant dialogue with Adachi about his food ritual.
I love this kind of stuff.

I'm 22 hours in (character level 16, job level 8)
and i still didnt visit all of the districts and i still only have 2 other party members.
I did all of the can recycling (all rang S + highest level), all movies A or S, now i'm in the batting center
and also farming points for the party member missions. Then theres the quiz stuff, Ichibans attributes
and the whole job system (i dont have access to that yet).
I have already so many things to do in the game but at the same time it seems like the game hasnt even really started yet.

Back