General RGG Discussion

One thing I'm wondering about with the dub: wonder how they'll manage pulling off this magnificent sub story.
I know they'll make it work, but there's something about it that works perfectly given English/Japanese.

That's a tricky one. Unless they make it that he's speaking another language aside from English for the dub? You could have it be that he is speaking some other language or something and Ichiban just brute forces English instructions on him.

But yeah, that's a tricky one. Hence why I'm playing in Japanese again next month :D Cause something will be lost in the dub.

And that one moment is one of the better moments in terms of sub stories in the game :D

Man, I can't wait to dig into that game again next month. Enough time has passed and I'm feeling the itch to go back to it.

Last edited:
Lots of preview videos already out. IGN, Gamespot, Youtube / Twitch influencer, Sega livestreams, ...
Sega provided a press copy with pretty overpowered characters
and people are allowed to show 5-20 minutes of it.
I think its all Xbox Series X and PC.

Judgment definitely didnt get this much attention before the release.
So yeah, we really are at a point now where people are excited to have a brand new Yakuza game
as a launch title on the new Series X (and PC).
Who would have bet on that three years ago

I guess this could potentially be the biggest launch in the whole franchise
I mean this is on Windows 10 / Steam, Xbox One / X, Series S / X and PS4
(and probably can play the PS4 version on PS5 just without the PS5 optimization)
So its basically available everywhere (almost)

The only downside or negative i can see so far, is that there is a audience that doesnt care about turn based combat.
But there is also a audience that doesnt care about brawler combat, so i dont know what has more impact.

Last edited:
Lots of preview videos already out. IGN, Gamespot, Youtube / Twitch influencer, Sega livestreams, ...
Sega provided a press copy with pretty overpowered characters
and people are allowed to show 5-20 minutes of it.
I think its all Xbox Series X and PC.

Judgment definitely didnt get this much attention before the release.
So yeah, we really are at a point now where people are excited to have a brand new Yakuza game
as a launch title on the new Series X (and PC).
Who would have bet on that three years ago

I guess this could potentially be the biggest launch in the whole franchise
I mean this is on Windows 10 / Steam, Xbox One / X, Series S / X and PS4
(and probably can play the PS4 version on PS5 just without the PS5 optimization)
So its basically available everywhere (almost)

The only downside or negative i can see so far, is that there is a audience that doesnt care about turn based combat.
But there is also a audience that doesnt care about brawler combat, so i dont know what has more impact.
Doesn't hurt that it's being positioned as one of the key launch titles for Xbox Series X/S .

To think, there was a time where the press completely ignored Yakuza, where SEGA wasn't bothered to bring it over, and the fans had to beg for the latest game to get a localization.

Look how far we've come.

I hope Like a Dragon sells well. It's a damn good game.

EDIT: Maybe, just maybe, the Final Fantasy VII moment for this franchise? :D FF didn't really become a thing in the West until FF7 among the mainstream at least. Maybe the 7th entry of Yakuza will share that same luck?

Last edited:
That's a tricky one. Unless they make it that he's speaking another language aside from English for the dub? You could have it be that he is speaking some other language or something and Ichiban just brute forces English instructions on him.

But yeah, that's a tricky one. Hence why I'm playing in Japanese again next month :D Cause something will be lost in the dub.

And that one moment is one of the better moments in terms of sub stories in the game :D

Man, I can't wait to dig into that game again next month. Enough time has passed and I'm feeling the itch to go back to it.
The way they handled it was... well... unique?
twitch.tv/xbox/clip/TangibleTrustworthyHerringDuDudu

The way they handled it was... well... unique?
twitch.tv/xbox/clip/TangibleTrustworthyHerringDuDudu
Eh, it's not that bad. I kind of like the slow glance at the camera they added. The little acknowledgment of "yeah, we know, oh we know!" I laughed at that. I can see why it might rub people the wrong way, but I laughed and thought it was cute. In a franchise like Yakuza, it honestly doesn't feel out of place to get a little self-aware.

I guess its like that age-old Shenmue question. Is everyone in China speaking Japanese? Or is Ryo speaking Chinese? Or are we just overthinking this?

Come to think of it, I've read translated manga that has handled situations of the same manner in roundabout the same way. Either explain the joke in the side panels or putting the text in parenthesis to make it clear they're speaking English and not Japanese.

In my own practices of translation, I've had wordplay jokes that kind of fall flat when you try to explain them in English. It just happens, something is always gonna get lost in localization. Whether it be a word that has no English equivalent, or a wordplay joke that relies on mistaken Kanji characters or whatnot. Something will always get lost. Hell, Tom's broken Japanese is almost completely lost in the English Shenmue dub and just comes across as bad voice acting.

It's not too bad but it still loses the joke a little and is something that plays better with the Japanese dub. The joys of localization. Still, the original scene is better though. The scene just plays much better with the original Japanese. But it's a cute solution. Be interesting to see if that head turn animation still occurs when playing with the Japanese dub though?

It'd be kind of awesome if it was something that only happens when playing with the English dub.

Last edited:
Scott Strichart said that scene is unique to the english language version
and it doesnt appear if you play with the japanese voice option.
I guess he means the original japanese version and the japanese voice option in the western version.
I mean it wouldnt make any sense to leave that added scene if you are playing with the japanese voice option
because then Ichiban would just randomly look at the camera with no context.
Also it wouldnt make sense for the subtitles because it seems like, except for english one,
every other subtitle track (german, spanish etc) was 1:1 translated from japanese.
Only the english subtitles are matching the english dub.
So if you are playing with french, german, spanish subtitles and japanese voices,
the jokes and everything will be adjusted to the japanese language.
If you play with the english dub, there will be scenes where french, german, spanish etc subtitles
will say something completely different than what the english voices said.

Edit
I just watched that whole stream again and they confirmed that the italian, french, german, spanish subtitles
only have one version and they were translated from japanese, not english.
So there will be a discrepancy if you are playing with these subtitle languages + english dub.

It was already noticeable in the sponsored german version at Gamescom,
it was very easy to tell that the german subtitles said very different things
than what the english voices said.
So its like they want you to pick japanese voices if you are playing with a text language that is not english.

Last edited:
Also some Xbox Series S / X comments
The game will run with 60 fps and something like 1440p on Series X
or 30 fps at true 4K.

Series S is 60 fps at 900p
or 1440p at 30 fps.

Also some Xbox Series S / X comments
The game will run with 60 fps and something like 1440p on Series X
or 30 fps at true 4K.

Series S is 60 fps at 900p
or 1440p at 30 fps.

That's strange to me. Surely the Series S could run that thing at 1080p/60, right? I mean, surely you would think the S would have enough horsepower to run a PS4 game at 1080p/60.

Leaves me to question the lifespan of that Series S console and how long it will be before it shows its cracks.

Last edited:
That's strange to me. Surely the Series S could run that thing at 1080p/60, right? I mean, surely you would think the S would have enough horsepower to run a PS4 game at 1080p/60.

Leaves me to question the lifespan of that Series S console and how long it will be before it shows its cracks.
Hard to tell. I mean i guess the Series S is more like the little 1440p brother of the Series X
so in this scenario the 60 fps mode is the optional one?
Like they dropped the resolution down and down and down until they were able to reach stable 60 fps.
But if you want the clear and high quality look on the S, you have to pick the 1440p 30 fps mode.

They also said the 4K mode on Series X has kind of stable or almost stable 30 fps,
like there will be some drops,
so maybe this is just a Dragon Engine thing? Because you can find a lot of players on Steam etc
who cant play Kiwami 2 @ 4K 60 fps with a 2080 TI and the newest Intel CPU.

Makes me believe that the engine just doesnt scale really well with high resolutions and 30+ fps.
There are games where they announced that the S and X will be running in 1440p (up to 4K) + 60 fps (on the S too)
so this seems more like a problem of Yakuza and not the hardware.
But its just a guess

Hard to tell. I mean i guess the Series S is more like the little 1440p brother of the Series X
so in this scenario the 60 fps mode is the optional one?
Like they dropped the resolution down and down and down until they were able to reach stable 60 fps.
But if you want the clear and high quality look on the S, you have to pick the 1440p 30 fps mode.

They also said the 4K mode on Series X has kind of stable or almost stable 30 fps,
like there will be some drops,
so maybe this is just a Dragon Engine thing? Because you can find a lot of players on Steam etc
who cant play Kiwami 2 @ 4K 60 fps with a 2080 TI and the newest Intel CPU.

Makes me believe that the engine just doesnt scale really well with high resolutions and 30+ fps.
There are games where they announced that the S and X will be running in 1440p (up to 4K) + 60 fps (on the S too)
so this seems more like a problem of Yakuza and not the hardware.
But its just a guess

Maybe, I just thought that might be a case of badly optimized PC ports and would have thought that SEGA themselves could have optimized the engine for 1080p/60. I think the PC ports were outsourced and not done by SEGA in house.

I don't know. I have an RTX2060 with an AMD Ryzen 3600. I can't tell you the exact number of frames I get as I haven't ran fraps with Kiwami 2 but I know it's above 60. If I had to guess it's hovering at somewhere around 1080p/90fps.

But you're right, I have heard of the 4K issues PC players have had. I don't know. <shrugs>

Maybe it is something to do with the Dragon Engine.

EDIT: I just quickly booted up Kiwami 2 w/FRAPS. Medium settings at 1080p, I'm averaging about 90 to 100fps.

I don't know, I'm sure there are reasons for 900p/60 but just seems weird to me.

Last edited:
We dont know what kind of preset settings they are using for the Yakuza 7 console version,
maybe the S is using the exact same texture, shadow, reflection, whatever settings as the Series X,
and its just too much but they dont want to do more tweaking because they want to sell one version
where the only difference is resolution and or performance.

The Dragon Engine always was a bit problematic, Yakuza 6 was 900p on PS4 with zero AA
and screen tearing everywhere because the adaptive Vsync doesnt work when the framerate constantly drops below 30.
They optimized it with Kiwami 2 and Judgment but even in Judgment, playing on a PS4 Pro,
you can find spots where the framerate drops below 30 and the Pro version is just 1080p.

In one of the most recent Yakuza 7 preview videos, the guy had the PC version
and he said that the AA only works well if you play in really high resolutions with downscaling
and also the reflections were a little broken because you could see some kind of NPC ghost reflections on walls.

I dont mean it as an insult, i dont even have a problem with the 30 fps
but the Dragon Engine is most likely not really a high quality polished engine.

Yeah, perhaps you’re right. Maybe it is just Dragon Engine woes.

yeah I remember Yakuza 6 woes. I started the Japanese version of Y6 on a PS4 standard and ended on a Pro. The PS4 standard was prone to screen tearing. Yet the moment I got my pro and switched, the screen tearing completely disappeared and it ran at a slightly more consistent frame rate.

It was that and The Last Guardian that made me realise “oh this incremental update thing might actually be worth it.”

You’re right though, the Dragon Engine does seem like it’s constantly being fine tuned and still not perfected.

Are there certain TVs that just don’t get screen tearing? For a very long time the only game I ever noticed it in was Killer is Dead and that was only in one or two levels. Only very recently have I noticed more games doing it and I think it’s more an issue to my tv settings for what I have now.

It was the VERY first game (and only) I had on my PS4 at the time (launch day model, though this was in late 2017, when I first played it) and I was only one of 2 people (the other spoke up on Gfaqs) that didn't have any screen-tearing whatsoever.

EVERYONE else who was not running it on a Pro, experienced screen-tearing and quite a bit; I sincerely think it was because mine was free of any storage, RAM, etc., that I didn't have any tearing, otherwise I probably would've had it too.

Thus, I perceive it to be a lack of resources, due to a cluttered/full harddrive; I mean, it's not like PCs haven't been acting like this since their inception...

Perhaps--full HDDs at only 5400 rpm might produce something akin to a screen jutter or tearing. Already was on a Pro with Boost mode, but upon my SATA SSD upgrade to PS4, Shenmue 3 and Judgement frame rates didn't necessarily improve, but felt better fluidity... in layperson terms. Perhaps due to bettter loading efficiency?

PS4 Slims should be given a small SATA SSD, like 500 or even 250 gb at same price point. Them first gen 2.5 form factor SSDs dropped price when M.2 came out... especially once they adopted PCIe interface. Help distract from the lack of boost mode.

Shit, Pros should also be given a solid state option.

Back