General RGG Discussion

Well, I just downloaded and played that Streets of Kamurocho. It really ain't much of a game. It's one stage with Nishki as the final boss. And once you beat him, you just loop back to the beginning and keep score attacking the same stage until you die.

Don't expect anything major. It feels like a Rom Hack of Streets of Rage 2 more than anything else. Like someone took Majima, Kiryu and Ichiban sprites and pasted them in and re did the backgrounds to look like the main street of Kamurocho.

It's cute, but doesn't have much meat on its bones.

Although, it did make me smile and in a weird way, it reminded me that somewhere within SEGA remains that crazy spirit that I used to love about them in their golden days. It reminded me of the stuff they used to do such as the Christmas Nights sampler. Can't complain considering it's free, but yeah, don't expect much from it.

It's a cute little gift, though.

Although, for those complaining about Yakuza 7 being a Turn Based RPG...here's your beat 'em up starring Ichiban ;)

As someone that loved Judgment and not big into turn based games, hopefully that minigame is a sign for things to come and they haven't fully given up on that genre.

If they do a Judgment 2, i'm pretty sure it wont have turn based combat. Yagami will still have the same fighting style.
Yakuza 8 will have turn based combat except if the western sales numbers for Yakuza 7 will be omega ultra terrible.
The sales numbers for Yakuza 7 in Japan were ok and the user score is really good.
Look at Amazon Japan, the original Y7 release has over 2000 reviews and 4 and a half stars out of 5.
So more Amazon user reviews than any other Yakuza game release ever, even more reviews
than games like Death Stranding.
So i think they will probably work more on that whole RPG system instead of going back to the brawler style.
(at least for Yakuza 8)

I don't think they'll give up the beat 'em up mechanics entirely. As Tosh said, they'll probably split them up. Keep one turn based, the other action-brawler based on the success of Y7.

Or better yet, what if they figured out a way to give both options in the next game? I don't know how they'd do it given the party system, but weirder things have happened.

But I think realistically they keep two separate franchises running. One to satisfy the action brawler crowd, the other to satisfy the RPG crowd.

It would be awesome if they could incorporate both turn-based and brawler mechanics into a single game. Sort of like Shenmue with the brawl and QTE-type battles. It would be a great way to break up the monotony of having all these random battles play out the same.

With all the hype that Yakuza 7 is getting, I’m still really on the fence about getting it. I just really don’t care for turn-based games. But I love the series so much, I feel like I’d be missing out if I don’t pick it up. So I’ll give it a shot.

I just started playing Judgement with the English VO. It’s great, but it’s also weird. It’s like, the game and environment is so familiar that playing it in any other language just seems out of place. I’m just so used to playing a game like this and having to look at the bottom of the screen when characters are talking to each other.

Trust me, it's the best game in the series; turn-based is not everyone's cup of tea, but it's done SO WELL in 7.

I beat Streets of Kamurocho twice, then had to make dinner lol; it is indeed a lot of fun, but very short. Still, had a blast and it will be fun to pick up, here and there.

Trust me, it's the best game in the series; turn-based is not everyone's cup of tea, but it's done SO WELL in 7.

I beat Streets of Kamurocho twice, then had to make dinner lol; it is indeed a lot of fun, but very short. Still, had a blast and it will be fun to pick up, here and there.
I kind of wish they went a bit longer with it. What if they had brought in other bosses from the other games? Could of also added other locations like Sotenbori or Hiroshima or even Yokohama.

what could have been?

And yeah Yakuza 7 is pretty awesome. Not long left now until second play through.

I likely have a miserable time with Yakuza 7 since I never play RPG's/Turn Based style games so I'm not accustomed to that type of game. Shame cause as a dub guy, the game's now starting to get dubbed is what got me to buy Judgment and 7's dub sounds great so far. Maybe I should give that Fist of the North Star game a try since it also has a dub, though I don't know a thing about the anime or that franchise so I don't know.

I knew (still, know) very little about FotNS and I loved the game; again, nothing better than an 8.5/10 or so, but there's a lot to like and a lot to sink your teeth into (I feel there's too much side content, but that's not necessarily a bad thing).

Trust me, Gyo; at the very least, I'd play the demo and see if it's your cup of tea; FFVII made me despise turn-based RPGS (outside of Pokingman) and I didn't pick one up (outside of Pokingman) for 14 years after it came out (that was the only RPG I had played in that time period, aside from Panzer Dragoon Saga). Then finally, PDS opened my mind to RPGs a bit and I got Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II for the Dreamcast; I was kicking myself for not giving turn-based RPGs a chance for all those years, as SoA is arguably the best RPG ever (ARGUABLY!) and Grandia II has wonderful charm, a great soundtrack and a phenomenal battle system.

From there, it snowballed to the Lunar series, I played some action-RPGs (Like Magic Knight Rayearth) and now I don't mind the genre at all (still don't like SRPGs though lol) and Lunar: Eternal Blue is my 5th favourite game ever.

And yeah, **** FF and the entire series; overrated crap.

I went ahead and preordered 7. Here’s hoping that I don’t pull a FotNS and never finish the game.

Just got to the last chapter of 6 on my second run. Haven’t played it for a while before that, which totally sucked all the momentum out of the big secret reveal for me. It’s a shame, because I was totally into it like, two months ago and I was having a much better time with it story-wise than my first run. Now I’m back to barely understanding the significance of anything anymore.

I went ahead and preordered 7. Here’s hoping that I don’t pull a FotNS and never finish the game.

Just got to the last chapter of 6 on my second run. Haven’t played it for a while before that, which totally sucked all the momentum out of the big secret reveal for me. It’s a shame, because I was totally into it like, two months ago and I was having a much better time with it story-wise than my first run. Now I’m back to barely understanding the significance of anything anymore.
Same happened to me with Yakuza 5. Took like a year off unintentionally. Need to make my second play be consistent.

I knew (still, know) very little about FotNS and I loved the game; again, nothing better than an 8.5/10 or so, but there's a lot to like and a lot to sink your teeth into (I feel there's too much side content, but that's not necessarily a bad thing).

Trust me, Gyo; at the very least, I'd play the demo and see if it's your cup of tea; FFVII made me despise turn-based RPGS (outside of Pokingman) and I didn't pick one up (outside of Pokingman) for 14 years after it came out (that was the only RPG I had played in that time period, aside from Panzer Dragoon Saga). Then finally, PDS opened my mind to RPGs a bit and I got Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II for the Dreamcast; I was kicking myself for not giving turn-based RPGs a chance for all those years, as SoA is arguably the best RPG ever (ARGUABLY!) and Grandia II has wonderful charm, a great soundtrack and a phenomenal battle system.

From there, it snowballed to the Lunar series, I played some action-RPGs (Like Magic Knight Rayearth) and now I don't mind the genre at all (still don't like SRPGs though lol) and Lunar: Eternal Blue is my 5th favourite game ever.

And yeah, **** FF and the entire series; overrated crap.
I actually already tried giving the turn based RPG genre a chance years ago, I tried Chrono Trigger and Persona 4 which are two highly praised turn based games, but both didn't end up being my cup of tea.

But to highlight the bolded part, I wasn't aware there was a demo of the game. Even though the genre isn't my thing, I still would be open to give a free demo a try, but couldn't find it on the PSN store though.

I actually already tried giving the turn based RPG genre a chance years ago, I tried Chrono Trigger and Persona 4 which are two highly praised turn based games, but both didn't end up being my cup of tea.

But to highlight the bolded part, I wasn't aware there was a demo of the game. Even though the genre isn't my thing, I still would be open to give a free demo a try, but couldn't find it on the PSN store though.
The demo is asia or Japan only as far as i know, so you need a free Hongkong or japanese PSN account
to see this content. The gameplay is not really a problem, its not hard to figure out what the buttons do.
So you could just skip the story stuff in the demo and then try out the gameplay.
I dont know why there is still no english / western demo yet.

Still need to play EGG; I think I mentioned it before, but I tried in in May of 2014, went to Italy 2 days later and never picked it up again lol (I was trying to do the trick/cheat/code/whatever of winning 25 straight initial battles and then getting an item as a result, stopped due to frustration and going to Italy meant that it would be a while before I'd pick it up again).

I should do so!

The demo is asia or Japan only as far as i know, so you need a free Hongkong or japanese PSN account
to see this content. The gameplay is not really a problem, its not hard to figure out what the buttons do.
So you could just skip the story stuff in the demo and then try out the gameplay.
I dont know why there is still no english / western demo yet.
Ah no wonder I couldn't find it then. Don't really feel like going through hops of making another PSN account of another region for a demo. Thanks anyways. Maybe they'll add a demo after launch in the west like they did with Judgment.

I will likely play Yakuza7 in 2020. My current old PC is mostly death and I doubt I will be able to get a decent PC in these few months since the new parts are so hard to find thanks to those bot wars and people fighting for the forst batch.

Truly a shame because I was hyped to play it... :crying:

https://gamerant.com/yakuza-kiwami-3-tokyo-game-show/

I didn’t know this was a thing. Kiwami 3 might actually be a thing?!
I feel like this article has it completely wrong.
There was a Yakuza Kiwami 3 listing in one of Sega's TGS streaming schedules
so people thought Yakuza Kiwami 3 will be announced
but then the event organizers and this exact same guy (Masayoshi Yokoyama)
apologized and said that it was a mistake and there is no Kiwami 3.
The listing was actually just for the normal Yakuza 3
and the TGS section was about looking back at older releases, nothing else.
So i feel like the writer of this article misunderstood the whole thing?

Back