General RGG Discussion

Should there be something like a Xbox / PC exclusive game in the Yakuza universe,
like Microsoft paying to exclude Playstation players. (imagine Judgment 2 but not on PS)
To push GamePass or being able to claim that this is only available on Microsoft platforms.
Even tho Microsoft never had anything to to with the series until recently, they simply joined in the peak phase
and they would simply pay Sega to force Playstation users to change platforms if they want to keep playing.
All of that after the Yakuza core fanbase on Playstation supported the series over 10 years
and its possible that the english translated versions are only alive because of that hardcore fan support.
Now Microsoft joins with a truck full of gold and wants Judgment 2 for Xbox and PC only.
Cool or not cool?
I'm actually cool with that if the deal benefits the developers with the end product being improved because of it. In this day and age I don't see any downside as AAA games like Cyberpunk 2077 can be played better even on a smartphone and tablet rather than a PS5 or Xbox, thanks to several game streaming services to choose from like Shadow, Geforce Now and Stadia. So basically anyone can play the game. Even in the unlikely chance MS makes it only a Xbox exclusive, it will be a timed sort of deal so not much to gripe about on my part.

I'm actually cool with that if the deal benefits the developers with the end product being improved because of it. In this day and age I don't see any downside as AAA games like Cyberpunk 2077 can be played better even on a smartphone and tablet rather than a PS5 or Xbox, thanks to several game streaming services to choose from like Shadow, Geforce Now and Stadia. So basically anyone can play the game. Even in the unlikely chance MS makes it only a Xbox exclusive, it will be a timed sort of deal so not much to gripe about on my part.
This is my point. He's saying "in previous times, it was a Japanese PS's exclusive. If you go to Microsoft and PC delaying the PS5 release, you'd be shitting in your Japanese public". I'm quoting the Final Fantasy VII (original) case that its exactly the same and life continued.

Then he's emphatizing that it was from Japanese to Japanese, which it's a weird statement. Games are for people, there are no borders.

Last edited:
Nagoshi and the other producers said countless of times
that the whole series was never meant to be some kind of international hit.
FF neither. So? Will they reject the money from the entire world? What the hell is this? Brazil loved Sega consoles, but wasnt made "for Brazilians". Should they ban Brazilians?
Yakuza games were ultra niche before that.
Well, maybe Japanese people should support it more? Apparently they didnt do a good job if they had to release it in the West
Still, the hardcore western fans on Playstation were the ones who kept the english translated series alive.
Now they are allowed to play? Did you make a blood test to see if they have some % of Japanese blood?

What did Microsoft do for me that i should welcome exclusive Xbox and PC games?
For you? Nothing. Just gave money to the devs to make more games (and in this case, in PC too, so, for more people)
Sony did anything different? Just giving money to the devs. It's the same. What's the difference?

Does any of these games only exist because of Microsofts support? No.
Shenmue 3 doesnt exist because of Epic support, but YS net should say no to the money? (meaning Yu would have struggle to money and sequels
You cant just come on board after 10 years with one fan base who did their best in the hardest times
and be like 'well i think i joined at a good time, these japanese games are more popular now,
what about kicking your original fan base out, so that you can make something exclusive for us now,
even tho until recently we had nothing to do with this series at all but whatever.'
Yeah sure, i mean that sounds great, right? Every Playstation player should support that.
Again. FFVII. Same case. You didnt thought that back in time I guess. And if you did, well, this are the rules, you have to accept them.
)

@Sput Vas Normandy

This whole discussion makes no sense.
A game made by japanese people for japanese people is not about
excluding other players or regions at all. Thats not the point, not even a little bit.
The whole main premise, a japanese game made for japanese people,
is the reason why people outside of Japan love the series.
Because it is a experience that was not made for them,
thats why it feels fresh to people in the west. Because we dont have games made in the west
with this style of story telling in this setting.
So this whole concept only works because the main target region never was the west.

If you change that main premise, then there is no Yakuza. Thats it.
Or do you think some AA studio in Japan would have made like 8 niche story heavy games about the japanese mafia
with thousands of dialogues for the EU / NA region??? That makes no sense.
The series as we know it wouldnt exist without this main premise.

So i dont know why you think that the japanese people or market is not important or not big enough or whatever,
the japanese market is the whole reason why the Yakuza series exists.
Yakuza 1 on PS2 started with the goal to tell a japanese story for japanese people.

If you take that away and let the studio or any studio create something specifically for the EU / NA market,
then you would end up with completely different games because no studio
would come up with the Yakuza idea for these regions.
Why do you think that the series is so unique and why theres nothing else you can compare it to?
Because it is made by japanese writers, for a japanese audience
and they didnt get a 'f' about other regions.
And thats a good thing! That is why it feels fresh to us, because it was not made for us.

So if you think that we should just leave the japanese audience behind
because they arent paying enough or whatever
and the studio should just write for regions in the west,
then guess what? There is a high chance that we wont get the same games anymore
because they will start to change the direction to appeal to more western players,
they will start to make english scripts instead of japanese scripts and listen to every single feedback from the west.
And then this will be the reason why its going to lose its unique style.

I dont know why you think that its a bad thing to have a game series that was not created for you.
The whole reason why you like it, why you think its unique,
is because it was not created for you. Thats a good thing, not a bad thing.

This is a stretch, but that bit towards the end looks like it takes place in the area leading to Zhao’s restaurant in Yokohama from Y7.

Its interesting that the english Sega accounts are teasing this announcement too
and also this countdown website already is available for different regions like Germany for example.

Will this be the first real Ryu Ga Gotoku multi language announcement?
(announcing the japanese and all international versions on the same day)

On a side note, it is kind of amazing to think how far we've come with these games in general.

From the dark days of the cult-like audience begging SEGA to localize Y3, 4 and 5....to the wide spread access point of Y0...to the series going multiplatform and showing up on Xbox and PC as well...to now where we are getting ready for a world wide debut of Judgment 2 as opposed to watching a Japanese stream hoping for any mention of a Western Release like we once upon a time had to do.

It's kind of weird to think that this sequel will debut on a worldwide scale with what could be a possible world wide release date (I don't know if that will happen, but it would be kind of cool if they got it day and date everywhere.) That's kind of neat to some degree.

My hopes for Judgment 2? Honestly, I just want to see how they further evolve the combat system. I really did enjoy bouncing off of walls in Judgment and hope they further expand on environmental stuff with EX moves and such. I really liked Yagami's fighting styles so I just want to see how much more they add to his move set.

Also, I hope they maybe do more with the detective stuff. I'm pretty sure we'll mostly get more of the same, but it would be cool if they maybe did more to further expand on the detective side of gameplay.

I'll be keen to see what else they add though.

I do also hope this isn't a timed exclusive or some shady deal. Hopefully SEGA doesn't get tempted to go down that route if MS should offer them money to do so. (or Sony for that matter)

Last edited:
Finished Yakuza 5 Remastered. The game dragged like a motherfucker come the beginning of Shinada's chapters, and I just wanted the game to be over partway through, especially when all the baseball stuff starting flooding in. I was very glad once it was. The best combat of the three remasters, especially because you are, for the most part, not required to sit through a little cutscene before the combat begins, which makes proceedings that much smoother. Shinada's combat receives a lot of flak, but I quite enjoyed it. He could have been a little stronger, though, especially considering his incredible body. Saejima's prison part was infinitely better than Yakuza 4's, but I still cannot get on with his combat style. The hunting village part got boring very quickly, too. Akiyama was a boss, as ever, and the buff to his combat was very much appreciated - especially that slow motion kung-fu movie move he has! Haruka's part was my favourite overall, in terms of both gameplay and character development.

The final part of the game was epic, in the truest sense of the word.

My ranking of the series so far:

Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Yakuza 4 Remastered
Yakuza 5 Remastered
Yakuza 3 Remastered
Yakuza Kiwami

On a side note, it is kind of amazing to think how far we've come with these games in general.

From the dark days of the cult-like audience begging SEGA to localize Y3, 4 and 5....to the wide spread access point of Y0...to the series going multiplatform and showing up on Xbox and PC as well...to now where we are getting ready for a world wide debut of Judgment 2 as opposed to watching a Japanese stream hoping for any mention of a Western Release like we once upon a time had to do.

It's kind of weird to think that this sequel will debut on a worldwide scale with what could be a possible world wide release date (I don't know if that will happen, but it would be kind of cool if they got it day and date everywhere.) That's kind of neat to some degree.

It's funny; if they are going to do a worldwide release... **** it, I'll say it; if they are doing a worldwide release, if the NA version has 0 ability to have the Japanese voices, I'm getting the Japanese version. Period.

I know they now have the license to put in the Japanese music, but if even that wasn't in the game, then I'm getting the Japanese version.

Yagami is Kimutaku, not Greg Chun or whoever voiced him. Kuroiwa is Shosuke Tanihara, not... whomever was chosen to voice him in English lol (though he obviously won't be returning in the sequel). Etc.

It's funny; if they are going to do a worldwide release... **** it, I'll say it; if they are doing a worldwide release, if the NA version has 0 ability to have the Japanese voices, I'm getting the Japanese version. Period.

I know they now have the license to put in the Japanese music, but if even that wasn't in the game, then I'm getting the Japanese version.

Yagami is Kimutaku, not Greg Chun or whoever voiced him. Kuroiwa is Shosuke Tanihara, not... whomever was chosen to voice him in English lol (though he obviously won't be returning in the sequel). Etc.

I don't think they would do that. I mean they haven't shied away from including Japanese Dubs in the most recent releases once they started the dubbing process again....so I don't know...I don't see them doing that. I could see them including both in the same way they've been doing. I think they know there is enough of an audience out there that wants the original language.

Don't get my wrong, @Down by Law , the dubs are all great; even 1's dub is not bad (has its cringey moments and quirks, but you can't have that many celebrities doing voices and it not being good), but the Japanese emote, exclaim and, "own," the role, much better than the dubs do.

Like the whole 'mue debate.

Tendo’s character design in Yakuza 7 always struck me as odd. He doesn’t look bad by any means, but there’s something about his facial features that look a bit exaggerated to me. He almost looks like he’d fit right in Shenmue 3

Tendo’s character design in Yakuza 7 always struck me as odd. He doesn’t look bad by any means, but there’s something about his facial features that look a bit exaggerated to me. He almost looks like he’d fit right in Shenmue 3
The way that long haired dude goes "FUCKIN' TENDO" cracks me up

And you're right ! He looks like the rich guy from the hotel, if he left his wife, joined the Yakuza and spent the next two decades getting jacked

Don't get my wrong, @Down by Law , the dubs are all great; even 1's dub is not bad (has its cringey moments and quirks, but you can't have that many celebrities doing voices and it not being good), but the Japanese emote, exclaim and, "own," the role, much better than the dubs do.

Like the whole 'mue debate.
NANI ?

I tend to agree. I think that with LAD being a clean slate of characters, they didn't have a 'right voice' if you know what i mean. Like to me, Ryo always sounds like Corey Marshall. But when Majima spoke English, it didn't seem right as I was so used to his original V/O

Back