General RGG Discussion

I would love a game like Dynasty Warriors 9 or Empires but without the over the top Mousou fantasy action.
Just a 3rd person open world story game about relationships, allies, betrayal, love in this setting and time ...
maybe even just about one character. Or about two characters who see everything from the other perspective.
And not with the copy paste bases and cities, no arcade battles against 100.000 men. It has to feel really authentic.
Maybe about a character who is just the bodyguard of one of the famous people from that time
and the other character is a princess for example.
I imagine something like the Game of Thrones political stuff + Telltale games dialogue system + Dynasty Warriors setting.
Completely about the story and setting, a scripted story game, nothing else. No super hero stuff, no cool moves.
A super serious niche game just about the characters. It has to have that feeling that Shenmue 1 had,
where it felt like you are on a holiday in a unknown country for the first time.

The demo seems to indicate it is based on chapter 4 (on the loading screens, it says 第四章 横浜の龍 on the upper right. It means “Chapter 4 The Yokohama Dragon (or the Dragon of Yokohama)).

It’s also funny that the summons are called “Delivery Help” is a wordplay on “Delivery Health,” a form of legalized sexual services. In the soapland towards the end of the demo, you can see pictures of Aika, Mana Sakura, and Hibiki Ootsuki, who were hostesses in the 0 and Kiwami 2 mini games (well, Aika was in Kiwami 2 while Mana and Hibiki were in Yakuza 0), as girls you can get it on with lol.

The demo seems to indicate it is based on chapter 4 (on the loading screens, it says 第四章 横浜の龍 on the upper right. It means “Chapter 4 The Yokohama Dragon (or the Dragon of Yokohama)).

It’s also funny that the summons are called “Delivery Help” is a wordplay on “Delivery Health,” a form of legalized sexual services. In the soapland towards the end of the demo, you can see pictures of Aika, Mana Sakura, and Hibiki Ootsuki, who were hostesses in the 0 and Kiwami 2 mini games (well, Aika was in Kiwami 2 while Mana and Hibiki were in Yakuza 0), as girls you can get it on with lol.
Completely missed the Easter egg at the end of the demo, that's cool! Stumbled across the translated trailer on reddit for those interested:

Between this and Shenmue 3 this week, I'm over the moon!

Amazon Germany trolled me really hard today, i saw a Amazon email and it said something about Order XYZ and
"we have good news ..." and i thought oh this is the shipping mail for the two Shenmue 3 CE's, thats good to know.
But then i clicked the mail and it was about the physical Yakuza 3-5 preorder and that i will receive it in February on launch day.
It was like "hey, dont forget about Yakuza!"
:sweatsmile:

Completely missed the Easter egg at the end of the demo, that's cool! Stumbled across the translated trailer on reddit for those interested:
Between this and Shenmue 3 this week, I'm over the moon!

Their names (except for Aika’s which is written in alphabet) are written in Kanji and I could recognize them. Yes, this is going to be a great year for Sega origin products.

This popped up on Youtube just now, while the existence of several returning characters are known, its cool to see them even if its oh so brief snippets from some point in the game:

Skip to 3:30 to see Kamurocho footage
6:30 has Kiryu footage
7:21 for Majima and Saejima footage

So I guess the take away from the brief character snippets are:
Kiryu is seemingly randomly fighting a whole bunch of Yakuza. He looks badass while doing it.
Saejima is in fact, not in prison by the looks of things. Him and Majima are still together, so its either pre Ichiban jail time, or an unknown plot point that takes place in present day.

The main actual gameplay though confirms Kamurocho as a city you can seemingly explore in the game (as if they'd completely remove it!). This piece of gameplay takes place in the past where Ichiban is the lowly nothing of a Yakuza enforcer, chasing down a bootleg VHS salesman for cash. Notice how they reuse Judge Eyes chase mechanics in the chase! We see a brief clip of Ichiban's aniki (Mitsu) at the end of the gameplay segment.

The demo released last month is supposed to be the beginning of chapter 4, while Ichiban makes his way to Ijencho in chapter 3, so by the looks of it, Kamurocho will probably be chapters 1 and 2 initially, and then going the last trailer (the 10 minute one) you'll revisit the place later on in the game. Just over 1 month now for the import release, I can't wait!

Well Kiryu looks a fair bit younger in that footage....so I assume it's in the past? Although in the extended trailer...Ichiban has his later fro hair style when he meets with Kiryu there. So maybe Kiryu shown in the past and Kiryu pops up at the very end when we inevitably head back to Kamurocho? (or he is in Yokohama)

Well Kiryu looks a fair bit younger in that footage....so I assume it's in the past? Although in the extended trailer...Ichiban has his later fro hair style when he meets with Kiryu there. So maybe Kiryu shown in the past and Kiryu pops up at the very end when we inevitably head back to Kamurocho? (or he is in Yokohama)
Yeah, Kiryu just looks younger thanks to the character model, I mean, look at the title that pops up for Kiryu in that vid. I can't read all of it, but from what I can make out, its something like "Former 4th Chairman of the Tojo Clan" so if its a flashback, its from Yakuza 2-6 at best, not before then.
Plus, as with Majima and Saejima (who haven't aged either) are both in the current timeline, as of course Saejima would be inprisoned with a terrible haircut if it were a flashback.

Yeah, Kiryu just looks younger thanks to the character model, I mean, look at the title that pops up for Kiryu in that vid. I can't read all of it, but from what I can make out, its something like "Former 4th Chairman of the Tojo Clan" so if its a flashback, its from Yakuza 2-6 at best, not before then.
Plus, as with Majima and Saejima (who haven't aged either) are both in the current timeline, as of course Saejima would be inprisoned with a terrible haircut if it were a flashback.

I'd say maybe around Yakuza 2? Considering Joon-gi Han in the background.

So, people far more familiar with Family crests tthan I have freeze framed the Kiryu segment of the vid, and discovered some interesting stuff at approx 6:42 in this newest vid. It all points to some pretty huge plot spoilers if true, including one returning character for the Omi which has me beyond hyped. Potential plot spoilers:
Kiryu is in an Omi HQ (unknown if that's Sotenbori, Kamurocho or somewhere in Yokohama). Now after Kiryu smacks down the goons and poses the camera pans round and you see a series of blurry sillouttes - images taken from discord user Tiger:
unknown.png

Tall dude that looks like he's wearing a coat. Saejima most likely.

unknown.png

Most likely Majima - its worth pointing out that the piece of the video that does show both of these guts clearly has them in an Omi base as well, presumeably the same one.

Now the ones that haven't been shown yet:
unknown.png

Honestly I thought the white was more a scarf than a shirt at first, reminded me of deceased Omi/Tojo dude Terrada. But its probably Dummy Daigo Dojima, he was mentioned by Nagoshi after all.

unknown.png

Now a dude wearing a white suit. Since we know its not Kiryu, and they are in an Omi base, and Sera probably hasn't risen from the dead, this suggests they'll actually resolve a Yakuza 5 plot point - as to what was happening in the Omi's power struggle. Anyone remember this badass?
ykz5-masaru-watase.jpg

Watase was one of the people vying for control of the Omi, and it seems like he's a strong candidate for Omi King. Also, totally explains why he'd be attacking the Tojo one way or another, pretty much was his promise to Kiryu after all. Also, I really love the character, so any chance of them bringing him back would make me super happy. So who knows, is it him?

Anyway, makes me wonder what the plot here could be. And seeing as Ichiban and co. hadn't been shown in any parts of this trailer makes me think of two possibilities:

This is a flashback - its the fall of the Tojo Clan maybe? Doesn't explain the huge Omi crest, but would explain why everyone would be fighting. Doesn't quite explain why Kiryu would show up if he wanted out, but hey he tries to get out and they keep pulling him back in...

Or its a big attack on the Omi, with the pillars of the Tojo Clan attack the Omi head on.

Who knows, its fun to guess!

Just how well I know the series, I knew who you were talking about even before I opened the spoiler tag ;).

If he returns, it will be GLORIOUS!!! :D:D:D:D:D

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Is it January yet? Oh Yakuza 7....you're the new Shenmue III! (as in me asking with giddy anticipation; is it release date yet? Oops, sorry, that might be heresy to say on this forum ;) )

Next month can't get here any sooner.

Last edited:
Still have to pre-order my copy (damn car, eating away at my funds...), but will do so soon. Absolutely cannot wait! :D

Just how well I know the series, I knew who you were talking about even before I opened the spoiler tag ;).

If he returns, it will be GLORIOUS!!! :D:D:D:D:D
Yup. A number of us have been asking for this to happen since Yakuza 5. And since we know he's not a one and done character (he shows up in Ishin as well) makes me think he could well pop up again.

I still need to pre order my copy, just because the China page lists "English" as a language for the game, I reckon its a typo, but I can wait and see in this case.

I'd want to see Tanimura finally return more than anyone, they have a new actor for him and everything they got to bring him back.

God, no.

Aside from a fighting style (which even then, I don't like it), he is an incredibly throwaway character, with poor characterization, a pussy demeanor/attitude and making 4 revolve around him essentially, is the main reason why 4 is not stellar in the plot department.

Shinada (aside from fighting style, lol) is an infinitely better character and they should bring him back if anything, however being that he (hopefully) goes back to baseball, I doubt he'd show up again outside of a brief cameo or something of that nature.

Tanimura and Kaoru belong together, with their pussy-whininess and hopefully they both never return.

Replaying 4 now, seems like I’m enjoying it more so than 3 so far, remembering why Akiyama was my favorite. I’m sure I’ll also remember why I also didn’t really like Tanimura, and now he just looks dumb with his new design but I guess that can’t be helped.

Not necessarily trying to avoid spoilers for 7 but I suppose I just figure I want to finish everything else before I get to it. I had already done 3 and 4, Dead Souls, and 6, and while I’ve imported every Japanese version since 5, I’ve only finished Kiwami 2 and haven’t even bought an English copy, nor have I finished the original 2, which kind of defeats the purpose of wanting to play these games early.

Back