General RGG Discussion

Feels like I've waited so long for these to release :D Very excited to start playing 3, 4 & 5 (and then eventually 6 & 7). Good chance (IMO) that we will have Shenmue 4 by the time I finish all those :p!

As I've said before, I'm a newer fan to the series and actually got Yakuza 5 Digital in a giveaway from Gio Corsi on Twitter back in 2015, just after the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter! I downloaded it on my fat 60GB launch PS3 (I had to delete everything on my PS3 to do so lol) and started it but quickly realised that I'd be ruining the series for myself if I started at 5 (I stopped playing maybe an hour or so into the game).

Yakuza 0 was the first game that I bought on my PS4. I went in with very high expectations but it completely surpassed them and blew me away! Since then my Game of the Year each year has been a game created by RGG Studio (minus Shenmue III of course).

After finishing 0 I picked up 3 and 4 on PS3, and was going to start them after finishing Kiwami 2 last year but decided that I would play Judgment and wait for the Physical release of 3, 4 & 5 instead. I really didn't mind waiting an additional 7 months to get the physical collection with the PS3 Yak 5 case, but I was originally pretty disappointed that I couldn't just buy Yak 3 digitally, as I would have loved to start early. Either way, I can completely understand the decision to release it that way but decided to not double dip on the digital collection (spent too much money on Shenmue III pretty much).

The Collection arrived on Monday and I love everything about it! The PS3 case, the notes from the Studio members on the slip case, it's all awesome! Have installed everything and will be hopefully, finally starting tonight!

I've also seen on twitter that there is an awesome dynamic theme on PSN (https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP0177-CUSA15360_00-ETH0000000003764) but I believe that it's for digital only owners? I've done some digging and found the release article that states that all owners will get it, but there's no code to redeem in the box. I've messaged Sega Europe and Playstation Europe on twitter, but no replies of yet.

We’ve released a Dynamic Theme featuring series protagonist Kazuma Kiryu’s iconic dragon tattoo, available for free to all owners of The Yakuza Remastered Collection.

Yeah it seems like that PS4 theme is only available if you bought the complete collection in the PSN store.
Its not available on the webpage and it doesnt pop up if you look for yakuza in the PSN store,
you can only find it directly on the store page of the Remaster Collection and its locked if you dont own the digital collection.

Yeah it seems like that PS4 theme is only available if you bought the complete collection in the PSN store.
Its not available on the webpage and it doesnt pop up if you look for yakuza in the PSN store,
you can only find it directly on the store page of the Remaster Collection and its locked if you dont own the digital collection.
Yeh that's what I thought too, but the article says that everyone will get it, must be bad wording from them. Still, would be nice to know if it will be purchasable later down the line. The theme looks awesome, so would love to get it really lol.

When you say first boss...do you mean the fight with Majima or the one with Rikiya in Okinawa?

He answered, but I was going to say Tamashiro as well lol; he was the only BOSS (Amon doesn't count ;)) that gave me any trouble and I always play on medium (or easy :$). As mentioned, it's a combination of him blocking everything and your moveset being limited at first.

I got to ask. Do you miss the beat 'em up mechanics at all? I'm enjoying the hell out of the turn based stuff. I love unlocking more abilities and seeing some of the crazy shit they've come up with in terms of summons and heat moves. Now more than any of the other games is the time I feel like one should be aiming to do everything in this game because some of the best stuff (summons especially) are hidden behind sub stories.

But I have to ask, do you miss the beat 'em up mechanics at all or would you be happy if the series kept going in this direction? (assuming it does)

I do kind of miss the satisfying thrill of grabbing someone and shoving them into the microwave. I do kind of lament that the game didn't build on top of that stuff (like it had been doing Y6 onwards)

But I still really like the turn based stuff none the less...it feels good and is constantly surprising me as to how well it works within this world and how much it makes sense.

If I had any complaints with it? I kinda wish we could change jobs on the fly. I don't know if I like back trekking to the job center to change jobs. Especially when you're in a dungeon aiming to farm-level everything up...kinda wish we could just change jobs on the fly.

I do and I don't.

I do because I LOVE Beat-'em-Ups (Final Fight CD is my favourite console game ever, 2nd favourite video game outright) and the crazy stuff that can be done in the series is all gone...

... but I don't because I agree; the turn-based stuff is SO refreshing and fun, I'm having a ball! Personally, if there are going to be spinoffs, keep them as Beat-'em-Ups, but if Ichiban is your protagonist from now on and you've built up the lore about him being obsessed with Dragon Quest and all that, keep his games as RPGs.

I haven't started changing jobs yet, but that definitely seems chore-ish and if the dungeon is where I think it is (right before the big 4 lane road in the middle of the map or so, at the subway-ish stairs), that's a fair walk to get back to the employment office :mad:

I'm looking forward to adding party members though; that should get to be fun! :D

2 quick questions; the first is those chicks that show up, you pay them money and then you get healed and your stats go up; are they of any consequence to trophies or story or are they just another way to heal?

The second is the getting hit by car trophy; how in the world do you get that to happen? lol Does it have to be a specific move you unlock?

I'm looking forward to more substories too :D, I know that game hasn't even opened up yet and I've had just a great time so far. Even though it's basically moot at this point, I'm going to keep doing can collecting, as I find it so damn fun, easily one of the 3 best minigames in the series (for me and my tastes).

Is it just my imagination or are there a lot of different NPC models (or clothing sets) in Yakuza 3?
I feel like in Yakuza 0 and 1 it was more limited with clones everywhere (models and clothing)
but in Yakuza 3 there are tons of different models, old people, children, middle aged, teens,
slim people, big people and lots of different clothing styles. Suits, summer fashion, street style, different hats ...
Waiting at that big intersection in Ryukyu with 30, 40 npc's, feels like they all look more unique.
But maybe i'm just imagining things

The joy of getting Remastered yesterday, plus tax refund, plus near birthday made me unable to resist picking up Kiwamis later today. Have my online order checked out and awaiting confirmation from the shop!

Still waiting for Judgement to drop price. Took awhile for Kiwami 2 to drop down, so I expect a similar timeframe/price cut for Judgement around summer. Really missed a great opportunity on black friday, but i got a PS4Pro and Shenmue lll instead.

2 quick questions; the first is those chicks that show up, you pay them money and then you get healed and your stats go up; are they of any consequence to trophies or story or are they just another way to heal?

The second is the getting hit by car trophy; how in the world do you get that to happen? lol Does it have to be a specific move you unlock?

I'm looking forward to more substories too :D, I know that game hasn't even opened up yet and I've had just a great time so far. Even though it's basically moot at this point, I'm going to keep doing can collecting, as I find it so damn fun, easily one of the 3 best minigames in the series (for me and my tastes).

Yes, there is a trophy attached to finding all of them. The にぎにぎを極めし者 trophy unlocks once you find all of them. Some of them are locked away until later chapters and there are two hidden in Kamurocho and Sotenbori.

as for the hit by car trophy. I got this one kinda sporadically. Just try and lure a fight out onto a busy street or near a busy street and try knocking them onto the road and hope for the best. It isn’t too hard. I’ve had it happen a number of times since unlocking the trophy. But yeah, they have to be alive when getting hit by the car. Just try and get fights on a busy road or near a busy road and hope for the best that your in position to knock them near a moving vehicle.

This is a page I’ve been using to help me a little in knowing how best to level up or what to look for collection wise.

Caught a big tuna for the side mission where you can exchange it for another fish and then you can keep the 200.000 Yen.
It was a pretty tough minigame but a cool mission.

Reached the 80 hour mark with Yakuza 7

-- Chapter 12
-- Back in Sotenbori
-- Finished all 30 floors of the Battle Arena in Sotenbori (quite easy to do)
-- Trophy status sits at 60%
-- AT LAST! The New Guard meets the Old Guard :D
-- This is easily gonna be a 100 hour platinum.

Just met and fought Majima and Saejima. Also met with Daigo Dojima.

Wow, i'm pretty sure some of the Yakuza 3 quests wouldnt work in a modern game nowadays.
Like "the black phantom" the japanese schoolgirls are afraid about and then its a black foreigner that drugs girls to sell them.
Thats pretty thin ice, no? :grin:
Not that i have anything against controversial topics, i'm not a political correctness guy.

Yes, there is a trophy attached to finding all of them. The にぎにぎを極めし者 trophy unlocks once you find all of them. Some of them are locked away until later chapters and there are two hidden in Kamurocho and Sotenbori.

as for the hit by car trophy. I got this one kinda sporadically. Just try and lure a fight out onto a busy street or near a busy street and try knocking them onto the road and hope for the best. It isn’t too hard. I’ve had it happen a number of times since unlocking the trophy. But yeah, they have to be alive when getting hit by the car. Just try and get fights on a busy road or near a busy road and hope for the best that your in position to knock them near a moving vehicle.

This is a page I’ve been using to help me a little in knowing how best to level up or what to look for collection wise.

I cycle through 3 different guides for different things (because of how they have the sections arranged and the like).

I figured that's how you got the trophy, but wasn't able to get a car to drive by (they just stop every time). I'll try again in earnest, this evening.

And great! I found the first two, so far and know where the third one is, roughly. I completed the, "wooden shelf," sidestory... man that took FOREVER lol.

Now that the battles are taking on the (hilarious!) fantasy-vibe and providing more EXP, they are becoming a lot more fun! :D

Wow, i'm pretty sure some of the Yakuza 3 quests wouldnt work in a modern game nowadays.
Like "the black phantom" the japanese schoolgirls are afraid about and then its a black foreigner that drugs girls to sell them.
Thats pretty thin ice, no? :grin:
Not that i have anything against controversial topics, i'm not a political correctness guy.

Yet in Japan no one would bat an eye considering it's a pretty common sentiment that I've heard even among friends. I have friends who have nothing but disdain for the Nigerian touts that work in Shinjuku.

It is what it is over there. At least it's honest in reflecting society as is in Japan, I will give it that much. Also a lot of that is a reflection of just how heavily drugs are frowned upon in Japan.

I'm not a political correctness guy that needs to virtue signal how "not racist" he is to the world or lecture the world or anything like that...but I'm just saying, it is an honest reflection of society as is in Japan and as the old adage says. Art reflects life.

Man, that golf game in Y3 is pretty tough. Normally i'm doing pretty okay in other golf games like Everybodies Golf
or even something like Tiger Woods Tour
but you have to be so fast and precise in Y3, the tiniest misclick and the ball flies to a totally different spot
and there are no markers or help features to show you the distances between you and the target.
So if you are near the flag for example you have to remember / know how hard you have to hit just by looking at the distance.
There is no help on the UI display and there is room for mistakes, if you need 18% of strength to hit the hole
then 15 is already to slow and 22 too fast. I have to practice a lot.

So I was able to do 3 battles (and purposely waited for everyone to be positioned so that enemies would fall into/into the path of, cars and I thought I did it twice, but nothing; does anyone have a video of someone doing it? Just so I can see.

Anyways, Ichiban now up to level 15 and grinding isn't nearly as bad, at this point! :D

So I was able to do 3 battles (and purposely waited for everyone to be positioned so that enemies would fall into/into the path of, cars and I thought I did it twice, but nothing; does anyone have a video of someone doing it? Just so I can see.

Anyways, Ichiban now up to level 15 and grinding isn't nearly as bad, at this point! :D

No video I could find. I got mine around the China town district (near the big park area by the harbour; near Dragon Kart). All I did was engage in combat and knock one of the enemies out on the road with a regular physical attack. Just as they were standing up they got hit and killed by an oncoming car and ping went the trophy.

Only advice is to keep trying.You’ll probably get it at some point.

Moving into Chapter 13.

—Cleaned up some more trophies and side stories.

— Got all human powers/attributes maxed out.

— Finished off the social links for all but one character in my party.

— Played a shit ton of the Trash Collection mini game to finish leveling up my Passion attributes. Got all three stages S ranked. That little mini game is indeed a ton of fun.

Got the trophy for 20 banquet conversations.

— Got Ichiban laid 3 times :D (there are side stories attached to the girls you can date...for the record)

— Trophy percentage now sits at 72%. Very sure I’ll platinum this unless something stands in my way.

— Chapter 12 is pretty damn awesome as a whole

Yet in Japan no one would bat an eye considering it's a pretty common sentiment that I've heard even among friends. I have friends who have nothing but disdain for the Nigerian touts that work in Shinjuku.

It is what it is over there. At least it's honest in reflecting society as is in Japan, I will give it that much. Also a lot of that is a reflection of just how heavily drugs are frowned upon in Japan.

I'm not a political correctness guy that needs to virtue signal how "not racist" he is to the world or lecture the world or anything like that...but I'm just saying, it is an honest reflection of society as is in Japan and as the old adage says. Art reflects life.

Hi Daniel

I’m a lurker so apologies for not having the social gravitas to stick my oar in here, but what do you mean by this?

Your post screams racism from my perspective and while it might be considered a chalked warning to normal members I certainly don’t expect attitude like this from site staff of Shenmue’s main forum. Standards need to be upheld.

You’re essentially saying all black people are bad news. We have enough of this toxic rhetoric in our political sphere without ignoramuses bringing it onto here.

Shame on you.

Last edited:
As far as the games, I give them license because they are a very different culture, plus I can identify and recognize socio-political issues I am sensitive toward, yet can still enjoy the game overall (quick example being Code Veronica, hadn't played a full plotline run for at least 15 years. Oof. Okami's little green bug friend is quite stupid as well, with lame jokes and comments). As for Yakuza, I'm a casual fan--only quick story runs. If i had ever seen the part being referenced, it would've definitely turned me off to be perfectly blunt.

Now, why is it your friends hate Nigerians? What's the connection to Japan's archaic phobia of drugs? Seems to be a bit of a jump there...? Perhaps your friends aren't a great example of average or majority Japanese? I think a bit of confusion--for me at least--is the vague and poor wording of your statements. Care to clairfy @danielmann861? Help us out here, because bigotry isn't cool, and I don't believe you intended to be racist or descriminatory.

Might PMs are the best route? These fancy new forums allow PM convos with more than two people? @RedSnake

As far as the games, I give them license because they are a very different culture, plus I can identify and recognize socio-political issues I am sensitive toward, yet can still enjoy the game overall (quick example being Code Veronica, hadn't played a full plotline run for at least 15 years. Oof. Okami's little green bug friend is quite stupid as well, with lame jokes and comments). As for Yakuza, I'm a casual fan--only quick story runs. If i had ever seen the part being referenced, it would've definitely turned me off to be perfectly blunt.

Now, why is it your friends hate Nigerians? What's the connection to Japan's archaic phobia of drugs? Seems to be a bit of a jump there...? Perhaps your friends aren't a great example of average or majority Japanese? I think a bit of confusion--for me at least--is the vague and poor wording of your statements. Care to clairfy @danielmann861? Help us out here, because bigotry isn't cool, and I don't believe you intended to be racist or descriminatory.

Might PMs are the best route? These fancy new forums allow PM convos with more than two people? @RedSnake
I don’t see how his comment is the least bit racist. As somebody who has been living here for three years and witnessed this kind of thing first hand, I see nothing but an honest observation.

The distain for the people of color working in Shinjuku seems to be as much about how pushy and in your face they can be than it does the color of their skin, but a lot of Japanese people I know seem to be biased against people of color based on the way they speak about them. One of my former coworkers (he’s from Jamaica) was forced out of the company by management because many of our clients didn’t feel comfortable around him (he was one of the nicest guys you’d ever meet, so whilst they never mentioned his ethnicity, it was fairly obvious that this was the case).

I’ve had to explain to people numerous times that it’s not acceptable to drop the ‘n’ bomb when discussing people of color (to be fair, this is usually with older Japanese people who’ve perhaps picked it up from Western Media without understanding the context of its use) and regularly hear Japanese people referring to the shot bars in and around Tokyo as ‘black bars’ (many of them are managed by people of color).

I don’t think it’s something inherent within Japanese people, but it is certainly an observable issue over here. If acknowledging this issue is also racist, then the world has gone absolutely mad.

Back