You have a chance to remake Shenmue. What do you change?

Going into the re-release I had this thing about Shenmue being the perfect game that needs little done to it besides updating the graphics and audio quality. That was one of the main reasons I was so disappointed with the re-release before I played it because in terms of scale, Shenmue is miniature in today's games standards and I felt it probably could have built it from the ground up with relative ease. Anyway, playing it now is a nostalgia trip and though I am not exploring every nook and cranny like I did 18 years ago,I am enjoying myself.

However, 18 years on and there are a few things that I am spotting which are a little frustrating (though probably won't be if this was my first time playing the game) or I wish certain mechanics were added. If I had the opportunity to rebuild the game (I am just doing the first one for now), I would add.

• Ability to fast travel in the same vein as Persona 5. I appreciate being able to save on the spot but one thing that is annoying me is having to run back home all the time in order to sleep. The novelty is there few the first few times but after a while I would give that ability.
  • Dive into relationships more - Ryo seems to know most people in town but nothing much comes from it. Similar to Persona 5 as in keeping it simple, it would be great if you can develop a relationship with the characters by going out to eat, the arcade, sparring etc. and being able to delve deeper into their story. I seemingly am never given the opportunity to spa with Fuku-San. Wouldn't it be great if you got to do that, find out more about him and possibly develop further stories (or even missions).
  • Speed up time - I know waiting is something that was introduced in Shenmue 2 but it would be great if we could look at the watch and similar to MGSV, we can set a time to forward to.
  • More opportunities to fight - Ties into my point about developing relationships. Wish I had more opportunity to engage in combat and not just spa by myself. Isn't the Hazuki dojo still active? Maybe a side story about people using the space to spa or again, just more opportunities to spa with Fuku-san.
  • Store interactions - Make me able to buy and change clothes, sit down and eat which will make Ryo skip time, up a skill or develop a relationship with owner. Let me have a random drink which will lead to a bar fight or drunken darts. Let me decorate the my room or dojo with random antiques, buy flowers for Nozomi, shopping for Ine-San or national leaderboards in the arcade.
That's all I can think of for now.

I really want that bicycle we were supposed to get in the first game.

For the bicycle to work, I think you would have to get rid of loading between outdoor areas entirely, and maybe redesign Dobuita a little to accommodate it.

Definitely agree regarding relationships; something like the Friendship system in the Yakuza series or the upcoming Rapport system in Shenmue III would help with Nozomi , Tom, and even side characters like Kurita-san. Maybe have a more explicit meter system with the kitten as well to see how feeding it helps it grow/recover.

Also agree abut having more fights in the dojo; maybe something like the Coliseum tournament in Yakuza 0, but with students in the dojo. Maybe a kumite?

Ryo can buy and eat a hotdog from Tom and can stay up as long as he damn well wants no matter how upset Ine-San would be. I want to go to Bobs Pizzeria at 3 in the morning just for the hell of it.

If I could make one change, it has already been covered somewhat with diving into the relationships more. But I would love to just have some sort of dialogue tree, or just more options in general when it came to speaking with people. I've always hated how cold and disinterested Ryo is about anything that doesn't seem to involve revenge for his father, you know outside of a few minor sub-plots here and there. Which, I could kind of understand because it's the main driving force of the game. But it kind of kills me when people in the game are asking me about school, and what I want to do with my life. Then I'm just sort of standing there almost waiting to wrap the conversation up so that I can do stand outside the arcade for three hours to meet Charlie. That's all I would really like to change as a major thing, just to be more in control of the conversations and where they go rather than feeling like I just happen upon an interesting development of a character pressing the A button too many times out of spite.

There are just so many potentially interesting stories that I would have loved to explore throughout the game of minor characters. But my complaint isn't too strong because I do get that it was very much a product of its time, and I know that at the time I found the level of immersion and choice to be pretty crazy. So really, this is only a complaint that has popped up as time has gone by.

Like others have said a relationship system, the ability to buy items at stores and eat at restaurants would be great. I would also give the NPCs more advanced AI and make the world even more detailed (not necessarily bigger). I don't think Shenmue needs more fighting but yeah the idea of a dojo where you can spar/train with different people would be cool. And of course a time skip feature should be added to 1 for the people who don't like to kill time.

Last edited:
Actually posted this as an overjoyed overreaction to the HD collection at my only other forum--when I assumed it was more of a remaster than port. Because I feel the games are virtually perfect to begin with, even a full remake should generally keep most everything as-is. Some of these I've randomly mentioned throughout threads here already:

Improved toy capsule mechanics. Was easier to go longer on collecting marathons in Hong Kong with a streamlined interface, quicker animation and less monologue from Ryo (only really saying much if it was a back-to-back repeat toy). Perhaps a CQTE adapted for later stages ("disc 3") of the first... Theres a definite progression of the QTEs; progressively more complex as saga goes onward.

Training option always available in Ryo's Room. Sparring with Fuku-san multiple times per day like with Jianmin. Then the inverse being for Shenmue II; empty space for solo training (such as across from Yan Tin) like Warehouse 4/Lot/Parks in Yokosuka, as well. Former being higher importance than latter suggestion.

Other minor changes: Photographer/filters feature implemented into Chapter 1. Using X (Dreamcast) for most actions like in the sequel (rather than A as in Yokosuka), yet use the MUCH more minimal and attractive HUD from the first game. Don't like having no choice but to take up part of my screen, no matter how nice subtly of Shenmue 2's HUD. Quite rarely do I also buy the maps...

Obvious: Bicycle in Shenmue (not in second game, though). Most likely cut because of Dobuita not actually being too big for more than running. Perhaps then open up the motorcycle route (maybe a shortcut version) for biking. Take a bit longer time, but save money instead of paying for bus fare. Boat chapter and the other Languishan river village where there was an apparent rest stop before Guilin.

I'd play up the gang aspect. It's a pretty heavy focus story-wise, but seems to be skipped over in terms of gameplay. Make Ryo prove himself to the relevant characters by performing tasks, with various possible actions/reactions resulting from it.

Consequences defo need to be implemented too. Considering the seedy underworld Ryo gets involved in, the moments of peril are very few and far between. Kowloon would be a perfect section for this, with Ryo having to use social stealth to get about. Perhaps even a system where rivals are more inclined to leave you alone based on your street cred/fighting record.

A more customisable look would go down well too. Ryo has a wardrobe... let him actually use it ffs! I swear, the sheer number of NPCs that wear the same clothes day in day out make me thankful that video games don't have some kinda smell emulation.

Replace the Saturn and discs with a Master System and cartridges. Include scenes where Ine-san tells Ryo to turn it off and get to bed (may already be in there that one but I've never seen it personally)

Give Ryo headphones so he can listen to cassette tapes on the go. And let the lad eat too!

Dialogue options that aren't shite. I like that Ryo's more of a solidified character than someone you project yourself onto, but surely he's not that socially inept?

What the hell is the Dojo for? Can other people use it? A sub-plot involving the fate of it in the wake of Iwao's death would be pretty interesting, and would add some much-needed conflict in Ryo's quest rather than just five or six scenes that boil down to everyone whinging at him.

There's a lot more that could be added obviously, but I reckon these are some of the standout ones.

Last edited:
What the hell is the Dojo for? Can other people use it? A sub-plot involving the fate of it in the wake of Iwao's death would be pretty interesting, and would add some much-needed conflict in Ryo's quest rather than just five or six scenes that boil down to everyone whinging at him.
I've always wanted the game to start earlier, like the day after Ryo's father died. You'd be restricted to the residence for the first day (allowing you to explore it, and experience the flashbacks - the flashback where child!Ryo is learning that move under the tree should be playable as a way to teach players how the combat works), then maybe you're sent to the shops to pick up supplies for the wake, and in the meantime you're asking Ine and Fuk if they had any idea there was an ancient Chinese mirror buried in the garden, then the funeral etc.
But mostly I want a visit from a solicitor type to explain the will and why the servant of the household ends up paying the head of the household every day.

Last time we had a thread about QOL improvements, and I posted this:

There are a number of things I'd do to improve the games, in order of priority:
1. Change the general movement to be more similar to something like GTAV; trying to make Ryo go where you want in the original games can be headache-inducing, and while it was forgivable in 1999, it's not in 2019.
2. Fix the camera during fights. The fighting engine itself still holds up and doesn't need to change particularly, but the camera needs to work with the player and not actively hinder them.
3. Add a wait function, but not as it works in Shenmue II. Instead, it would be an option to fast-forward the clock at any time.
4. Add a pawnshop to Shenmue I to reduce the cost of failed raffles and duplicate capsule toys.
5. Add more places to train in Shenmue II, and make training moves actually matter like in Shenmue I.
6. Add playable mahjong (there's a mahjong parlour in the first game, after all).
7. At the end of Shenmue I, give Ryo more time to say goodbye to everyone.

But if we're going the full remake/reboot route, I'd change a ton of things on top of these.

The game would start Friday, 28th November, 1986, in a typical anime scenario. Ryo is on lunchbreak at school talking with Ichiro and Naoyuki about how tomorrow is his 18th birthday, joking that he's glad Ine is baking the cake and not Nozomi, when another classmate interrupts them telling him there's a girl waiting outside. You're given the opportunity to walk about, talk to classmates etc., until you open the classroom door.

Of course, it's Nozomi, and the two have their regular style of conversation (with Ryo albeit being a little more light-hearted than we usually see him). She tries to invite herself to the party, but Ryo insists it's just a small family gathering (18 is not a big milestone in Japan). The bell rings and it's time to go back to class; here you learn how to advance time when you need to wait (or you can just sit and watch the lesson play out) - this would be done with a button that speeds up time rather than an explicit "Wait" option.

You walk home with Ichiro, Naoyuki, and Nozomi. Ichiro and Naoyuki walk at their own pace, and if you walk with them you'll get different conversation than if you lag behind or take a different route. Nozomi meanwhile will always walk with you, waiting for you if you go the wrong way for whatever reason (so you always know the way home). Yokosuka High School is just a short walk from the Dobuita bus stop, giving you the chance to see most of the playable area of Yokosuka and your home's place in it (Nozomi will always insist on walking you home). You talk to your family (including Iwao!) and explore the house etc. until bedtime.

Saturday arrives. After a "happy birthday" from everyone, Ine asks you to go shopping for the ingredients she needs to , giving you money to pay for it. Fuku comes with you guiding you to Yaokatsu Produce, where Aoi tells you Yoshie will have what you need later ("Come back at 2pm"). Fuku goes home to clean the dojo, suggesting that you should enjoy your birthday and you're given freedom until you finally collect the shopping and head home, to find a black car outside your house, and you know the rest of the story from there...

I'd also not skip time afterwards and do what catonkatonk suggests - the next few days are about the aftermath, Ryo not wanting to leave the house, mourning, etc.

I'd revamp the dialog tree system from Shenmue II - instead of being restricted to "what Ryo needs to do next in the story", it can include a simple "what's new?" and similar options to delve deeper into the personal relationships of characters. Maybe help out by giving advice for personal problems, and giving them bad advice (or not talking to them) leaves you less likely to get story clues, special cutscenes etc.

Of course characters would change clothes. Ryo would have the option to buy clothes too (as well as food and items from the various shops in Dobuita), and characters would make passing comments if you wore the same outfit for too long (but nothing more - I wouldn't want the game to be a full life simulator, we can assume things like toilet time and baths are done off-camera).

And like everyone else, I say Ryo needs a bicycle too.

Ah, yes!! Forgot to say I'd add a pawnshop in Dobuita (in addition, never a pawnshop where they don't take certain extremely common items; 3 anvils and i believe the 3 bisbiens, which no shop anywhere will ever take)...! Good thinking.

Also, trainging does matter, as I discovered during my current play. Always assumed it didn't, but finally actually noted where one move was, then spammed on Jianmin, and it really did increase, and quicker than in the original.

There is very little I would change for a Shenmue remake it's already a masterpiece and too many changes at least in my opinion wouldn't make it a masterpiece anymore. However there are a few things I would change if I was given unlimited funds.

1. I'd give the games the technical Royal Treatment resolution would be at 4k the game would run at 60fps. I would use the highest resolution textures possible for everything in the game along with modern motion blur. I'd use the FLAC codec for audio and finally with no disrespect to Corey Marshall and the fellow English voice actors but I'd either have them turn in better performances or hire a brand new cast. And it would be 16:9.

2. In Shenmue 2 I'd add in a lot of material that Suzuki-san left on the cutting room floor stuff that we saw in the comics for example. Imagine how cool it would be to save that young girl and defeat Chai again. I really wanna see what Suzuki-san left out.

3. Shenmue 2 would have a training mode along with the arcade games actually passing time.

4. Also from Shenmue 2 I'd undo the censorship made to the game so that Arab guy gets his turban back, the statue of Mary in Xiuying's orphanage returns to normal, and Dou Niu refers to Yuan as his boyfriend with his English actor actually being a male voice.

5. Finally I'd like to add a VR mode how cool would it be to see the world through the eyes of Ryo.

All in all though I love the games we got in the end but it would be cool to see any of these implementations.

Last edited:
Back