Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Super Mario Party
Nintendo Friend Code
SW-3502-0387-6323
Mine are

Playing the first two Shenmue games.
Posting on the original Shenmue Dojo forum. Those were good times.
Watching cartoons such as the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

One thing that sticks out for me was going to see The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy from 2001 to 2003. Every year the wait seemed more painful and unbearable but I just remember that being a very special time for me. I was coming to the end of my time in secondary school, and these films seemed to eerily reflect back the way that friends parted and went their separate ways over the following years. That, and I remember seeing Spider-Man in the cinema I think...four times? I'm pretty sure that blew my 13-year-old mind.

Then there was Shenmue, that goes without saying. But particularly coming here after school, or sneaking on to the forums DURING school. I was much less socially graceful back then but still somehow managed to stumble my way into a few good friendships from here back during that time. I also remember this being the place where I found out what "lol" meant. I specifically remember how hard I would try to be liked on the old dojo forums back then as well. I was way more outgoing at that time which is just a nice way of saying I sent a lot of private messages and didn't seem to mind my own business. Thankfully, I've grown out of all that now.

And finally, much as they were maligned or adored at the time, I can remember obsessively listening to American Idiot and Welcome To The Black Parade. The latter of which I was far more reluctant to admit because, at that time, I couldn't be bothered to deal with the hassle of trying to defend the bands and music I liked. Not to mention I was probably way more self-conscious about what people thought of me and my tastes back then. The great thing about growing older is that you end up caring way less about those silly little things.

I know that looking back, and with the benefit of hindsight as well as the world in general being how it is now. I remembered the 2000's being a pretty difficult decade to get through, but looking back now that I actually think about it, there are a lot of fond memories. It's all bittersweet, I guess.

That was a a decade of major transitions for me here and there. Really hard to pinpoint.

Finishing high school, going on to college, getting first job, enjoying my single life I had.

Anyway, definitely gaming on my Dreamcast!

Yeah, like many of you, playing 'mue and on my Dreamcast were the big things; read the entirety of Code: Veronica's TV Tropes entries this morning and it brought me back to my first (and, well, only) playthrough of my favourite RE game and how much I enjoyed all of it's nuances and plot (being my first RE game, it was a wonderful experience).

So gaming on the DC was a huge thing for me.

Playing a bunch of sports too, both in school and the community (plus with my friends, after school and all that), it was a time when I was quite active (yet didn't drop weight). It was a time before the internet and cell phones exploded, thus it was great to get to know people and spend time with people in person; probably the biggest thing from a social standpoint, of the 2000s.

Also defined my music tastes with heavy listening (almost 3 years and 2 years exclusively, respectively) of the Who and Limp Bizkit, so that was a fun time for me, discovering an old band and a new band that still had releases.

The 2000s also crushed my boyhood dreams, profession-wise (though this wasn't a bad thing), as it taught me that to attain what I wished to attain, required a bunch of game-playing, wealth and connections that I couldn't have or build up at that point in my life and that it taught me to become adaptable and to expand outside the box, both my lifestyle and my way of thinking.

These were the years I discovered myself and where I laid the foundation for myself today.

I have no idea why, but for some crazy reason, the Matrix and American Pie movies came into my head. As well as my first relationship.

Trance and techno music, WWF and WCW, great time for gaming, other than that, my memory is a little bit lax right now.

I have a lot so instead of posting all them I may come back in time to time when I think of them, lol.

But this one I will share today. I was home schooled and I went to a home school group once a week and for a very small period of time there was this kid who had a Gameboy advanced and all the link cables you would ever need and the exact same games as me. Every week we would play Mega Man Battle Network 2, and Advanced Wars; and it was awesome! He eventually moved away and this was pre-facebook and mySpace. So who knows what happened to him but I never really ever heard of people using the Battle Network vs mode a whole lot but we sure used it a whole bunch and we had a blast.

Another one being when gaming life was simple you didn't have a job, and you played the games your parent's bought you, even if they sucked. While now I have more games in my collection that I have not played then games that I have played. Just playing to see what was in the next level is something that is going away with guides, walk-troughs and youtube now a days.

That was a great age for me, 15-25 lol

Too many great things to list...

best day for me was in 2002, my last day in prison...i mean school.

A bit of a weird one, but finally waking up from a cult upbringing and deciding to leave it all behind when I turned 18. Cannot describe how much of a liberating experience that was for me. One of the first things I did was doing all the 'sinful' things I wasn't allowed to do while in their circle: higher education, horror movies/games galore, celebrating my first birthday with my new 'worldly' friends, watching Lord of the Rings for the first time after being forbidden to watch it for years because it was 'evil'. Every day felt like Christmas morning as I was first discovering so many amazing experiences I had been missing out on. Good times.

A lot of bad memories from that decade for me. Tons of great games though.

A bit of a weird one, but finally waking up from a cult upbringing and deciding to leave it all behind when I turned 18. Cannot describe how much of a liberating experience that was for me. One of the first things I did was doing all the 'sinful' things I wasn't allowed to do while in their circle: higher education, horror movies/games galore, celebrating my first birthday with my new 'worldly' friends, watching Lord of the Rings for the first time after being forbidden to watch it for years because it was 'evil'. Every day felt like Christmas morning as I was first discovering so many amazing experiences I had been missing out on. Good times.
An actual cult or an upbringing that was so strict and regulated it was cultish?

And I thought I had it bad.
I really shouldn't ask for more details, but my morbid curiosity has me in a rear naked choke right now.

Haha. I mean, it sounds awful and it was quite claustrophobic at the time, but I was also thankfully desensitised/'brainwashed' while I was in it so I don't think I fully understood what kind of situation I was in until I left. Everything felt normal, until I realised it wasn't. Then, deciding to adventure into the real world and actually enjoy life for the first time turns any negative memories of it into immensely happy ones for me personally.

I hope I'm not sounding like I want 1st place on the Oppression Awards or anything because we all go through our own personal shit in life which test our own set limits, but just thought this would make a bit of a unique experience to share.

Obvious one would be the epiphany and life changing experience of discovering Shenmue. Also by proxy, getting the Sonic Dreamcast bundle (even asking for a launch DC back in xmas '99 despite not getting it until summer '00 was a cool memory. Never really got so excited for a console before. Even the PSX and PS2 hype train wasn't as big for me...)

REmake on Gamecube; was so engrossing and terrifying. Legit couldn't play it alone until late teens/early 20s, haha. Even Code Veronica was too scary, but I trudged on because it was slightly less so and also on Dreamcast so I had to play and beat it. Badly wish they did RE0 or REmake engine on Dreamcast. The 3D environments for Veronica were and are impressive, but the mood would've been just as frightening (which is already pretty close especially the latter halves each disc) had they the extra power to focus on lighting and character models like on Gamecube. Miss the old RE...[/end rant]

To me, there are a million small and significant moments that could fill libraries from that time. I'll choose two: I played through Shenmue 2 with a good old friend (after a comically difficult effort to get Shenmue 2 to work on the original Xbox -- yep, I was lucky enough to have a Thompson DVD drive). After that huge moment
seeing Lan Di for the first time since that day with the snow
, that jarringly epic transition when we got off the boat in Guilin and marched out into the country, that entire segment of the game through to the end was a flat out religious experience. Another favorite personal memory from that time was meeting my little brother every day after he got home from school to watch Batman Beyond.
(y)

Back