Your Introspection/Reflections?

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
Hey, can I get your perspective/thoughts on out of all of Sega's Huge IP and their revivals/Modern Games+IP in general...Why Shenmue 3 is still placed at the top of your list? How did everything the industry(incl. SEGA) has thrown at you since the original duo-logy release not fazed your pursuit of this anticipated sequel? Has the 20 years wait ever made you pessimistic/cynical of Yu Suzuki's promise to deliver?

I'd like to gather the responses here to help with my share of the fan-marketing close to and before the very soon release window across SNS/Gaming forums. Also, we can repurposed & send this to SEGA post Shen3 to remind SEGA to help support the IP/Franchise going forward and not abandon us fans for another 20 years or more again.

I'll write my entry later since it'll be quite a bit of a write up and I will get to it later when I have more free time.

Hey, can I get your perspective/thoughts on out of all of Sega's Huge IP and their revivals/Modern Games+IP in general...Why Shenmue 3 is still placed at the top of your list? How did everything the industry(incl. SEGA) has thrown at you since the original duo-logy release not fazed your pursuit of this anticipated sequel? Has the 20 years wait ever made you pessimistic/cynical of Yu Suzuki's promise to deliver?

I'd like to gather the responses here to help with my share of the fan-marketing close to and before the very soon release window across SNS/Gaming forums. Also, we can repurposed & send this to SEGA post Shen3 to remind SEGA to help support the IP/Franchise going forward and not abandon us fans for another 20 years or more again.

I'll write my entry later since it'll be quite a bit of a write up and I will get to it later when I have more free time.
Wow u did a good Job with ur words congrats to u

Why is Shenmue III still placed at the top of your list?

It continues the story of the first game that made me cry...

How did everything the industry (incl. SEGA) has thrown at you since the original duo-logy release not fazed your pursuit of this anticipated sequel?

Always reflected on the Wude, and had faith in the fans...

Has the 20 years wait ever made you pessimistic/cynical of Yu Suzuki's promise to deliver?

I have faith in the artistry of Yu Suzuki-sama and the Shenmue creative team. I have faith...

I guess the age old adage “Absence makes the heart grow fonder” really rings true for Shenmue. When you have an experience that leaves such a powerful impression on you then its hard to really forget about it. Imagine living in 1999 and seeing Shenmue for the first time, being a witness to something that would change the gaming landscape forever. Even to this day Shenmue does something most games don’t or are afraid to do and that’s embrace the ordinary and do it well. Ryu ga Gotoku which is deemed the spiritual successor to Shenmue isn’t really a subtle experience making everything over the top and exciting as possible. I could never see Kazuma Kiryu catching leaves or airing out books from a temple lol.

This isn’t to say that SEGA hasn’t released any good games since Shenmue II because there have been plenty of them. However while many of them were engaging and immersive they managed something Shenmue never got the chance to and that was finish what they started. And finally for me, I’ve never played a game with such a rich and spiritual atmosphere like Shenmue.

To me, in 2000 / 2001 I saw Shenmue and Shenmue II as a portent of where gaming was headed. Having grown up as basically a SEGA fanboy from the Magadrive onwards, watching 3D gaming evolve with the Saturn, when the Dreamcast hit it seemed there was finally a console with the raw power to create gorgeous 3D worlds and convincingly transport you, as the player, to distant and mysterious lands full of adventure... Immersion you could lose yourself in. SEGA were on fire back then and Shenmue was their jewel in the crown. It checked all the above boxes and didn't disappoint.

So I saw Shenmue-sized innovations (giant leaps) as the future back then. It's easy to forget that the gaming industry moved at a ridiculous speed in the 90's and home consoles basically evolved from Altered Beast to Shenmue in one decade. And though the industry has evolved since, progress inevitably slowed in the 2000's and I lost a lot of interest when SEGA crashed out of the hardware business. So, Shenmue always felt like a bookend to me... and an unfinished one at that.

Shenmue III represents a miracle revival of my teenage wonder at videogames. I know it won't be cutting-edge this time, but I've no doubt it'll spark those same feelings of excitement.

Once the series is done, whether that's Shenmue IV or V, I'll probably move on from videogames for good, but until then, Shenmue carries the candle for me.

Last edited:
Back