spud1897

Administrator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Destiny 2, Shenmue HD ;)
PSN
spud19870
Shamelessly taken from the 500k but given some of the consistently negative, repetitive discussion we've seen lets use this thread to take stock of the good things Shenmue III did.

Quite simply if you've nothing good to say (looking at the usual suspects) then this isn't the thread for you. Snarky comments are also not welcomed.

It can be anything, a moment in the game, the environments, music, setting. Whatever you like.

Let's move the mood a little bit!

Last edited:
Huaxiao Temple along with the music, the abandoned Temple in Bailu at night, the Yakuza Style sidequests on the boat. Those were great moments.

Yup, guess that's pretty much it.

Moderator Note: No need for the final comment.

Sorry, but those were my highlights of the game. May have added the Mr Miyagi moment with the old drunken boxing guy in Bailu but those were my highlights more or less.
That's fine, as I said in the OP it can be anything, 1 thing, 2 things etc.

The comment at the end just comes across as snarky and against the tone of the topic.

Just off the top of my head:

-I loved the balcony at night in the City!
-Everything about Bailu Village!
-The music. (WOODCHOPPING! Both tracks ;))
-The conversations with Shenhua and the mood of coming home at night/waking up in the morning. Such a treat.
-The Martial-Arts Training above the village.
-The small gadgets in the hotel room.
-Red Tiger! :D
-The slightly bigger trainee in the village.
-Drunken Master Quest. Yes, I said it.
-The atmosphere in the city.
-Chobhu Chans. I mean it fascinated me so much that I sank into every shop and its items.
-The pace. Gameplay and Story | Just good after the rush of the second one.
-The hotel manager (and the phone calls)
-On a meta-scale: the overall look and feel of the game. I mean its just beautiful and unique.
-Collecting herbs and selling them was fun.
-Shenmue Museum.
-I loved the way the areas opened one bit at a time.

etc. etc.

And many many more. Its just a lovely game and it was great to play Shenmue III. I think I will appreciate it even more the second time around because some of the points I have just written down kind of launched off a nostalgic feel about it. This feeling is the same as remembering roaming Dobuita with the music track FREE 1 or arriving in China for the first time etc.

Just lovely!

The beginning of the game, discovering the different parts of Bailu, getting to know the villagers and especially the conversations with Shenhua.

The more in-depth training system.

Despite the simplified mini games and arcades, I really enjoyed the various games you can play. Fishing is fun too.

Discovering more about the history of the mirrors and about Iwao etc.

I liked the end sequence. Sue me :p

Edit: Oh my god, how did I forget Chobhu Chans!

1) The conversations with Shenhua at the end of each day. That was easily my highlight of the game!
2) The beautiful sense of warmth in Bailu, especially at night.
3) When it clicked, it truly felt like a Shenmue game.

I wish I could say more, but like Final Fantasy XV, the more time I spent apart from it, the harder it is to think about it positively than at the time. I look forward to playing it again soon though :)

That's fine, as I said in the OP it can be anything, 1 thing, 2 things etc.

The comment at the end just comes across as snarky and against the tone of the topic.
Oh, ok. No, didn't mean it that way. I meant it more like "That's what comes to mind immediately, but that's not all of it." As in there would be a couple more if I thought about it.

Oh, ok. No, didn't mean it that way. I meant it more like "That's what comes to mind immediately, but that's not all of it." As in there would be a couple more if I thought about it.
Ah ok. Fair enough in that case my apologies.

Great thread, too many to list top of mind! Need to compile a list during my next new-game...

quickly: Herbs; return of a vastly improved dojo and street fights; horse stance and inch punch are classics along with woods chopping. So simple yet addicitve--classic Suzuki arcade feel!

I gave 8.5 out of 10 for Shenmue III. In my opinion Shenmue III is a good game, i'm not saying is perfect but i don't think is the worst game of all time like i see on the internet people saying this game is shit, people saying as if there was nothing good in Shenmue III and things like that. I respect Yu Suzuki, i'm grateful that we have Shenmue III and i think he made this game with a lot of love in his heart for the fans.

What i like in Shenmue III
-The Music
-The environments
-The new notebook
-The conversations with Shenhua
-Everything about Bailu Village, Bailu Village is awesome, Bailu Village is one of my favourites places in the Shenmue World.
-Collect phone cards, The Phone calls and the hotel manager
-Learning more about the past of the mirrors. Learning more about Iwao, about what he did in Bailu Village
-The food system is nice but my only complain is that runs out really fast
-The trainning System
-Collecting Herbs and fishing
-The jobs
-Minigames and capsule toys
-Trainning with masters and learning new moves
-Meeting new characters, i just wanted more screen time for them but i like the new characters.
-Chobhu Chans :D

-Now we can change Ryo's clothes and Shenhua's clothes. I love the original clothes, i love Ryo's jacket i even have one, what i'm saying is that now we have the freedom to choose what clothes we want and that is a nice thing in my opinion, i really want more clothes for Shenhua, i really want her original outfit.

-i love the slow pace of the game specially in Bailu Village just like the first Shenmue have a slow pace. If the Shenmue story was a one big game then the first game is the introduction, the second is the beginning of the adventure and the third is the trainning phase, i saw one fan saying that and this makes a lot of sense. GON - Everyday, without neglect, to keep trainning. :D

-I like Niaowu but i think i prefer Bailu Village

-I like the end sequence. it wasn't disappointing for me, and it showed that Ryo improved, even Lan di said that.

In my opinion in Shenmue 4 and 5 Ryo will mature even more in martial arts and mentally, Ryo will mature more in my opinion, The Four Wude will come back i think.

For me the Shenmue Story is about Ryo's Journey, is about the people he meet and what he learns from them, is about Ryo growing as a human being. One of my favourite moments in the first Shenmue is when Ryo becomes friends with the homeless man, he learns with the homeless man. Shenmue III have moments like this in my opinion.

I don't remember right now other things that i like but all i know is that for me Shenmue III is a good game, i'm not saying is perfect but i had a lot of fun playing. I just hope that in Shenmue IV we get more answers about the story, i really think that Shenmue IV will have more story progression, maybe will be just like Shenmue II in the pace of the story.

LetsgetShenmueIV :giggle:

Last edited:
I don’t want to duplicate what others have already said, so I’ll just add my own.

I really liked the guestbook in the hotel room. I know for some of you it may have broken the fourth wall and was a nuisance, but for me it was special because, not only was I in it, but it was so nice to see the messages that others had left. Some poignant, and some funny, but all in all I felt it was nicely subtle way for people to be included.

Copy pasting my list from "improvements/keeps for S4" thread.

The Great:
Beautiful scenery
Beautiful cheongsams
The Wack'a Mole
Mr Su
The telephone

The Good:
Talking to Shenhua
Being woken by Shenhua
Stalking Shenhua
Lot of martial moves to experiment
Free tournaments
Confronting the master when you beat all the students and earning his respect
The flashbacks on Bailu bridge
The duck mini game
Forklift
Lan Di and his mysterious associates
Stores are less useless than before
Finding the mascot
The tourist photo wall in the port, nicely evocative
The kickstarter black jacket
The first person point of view for fishing
Investigation in relation with traditional crafts (stonemason, searching for a Buddha)
The idea of investigating a complex martial art
The idea of Ryo trying to figure out the purpose of Sun's training
The idea of associating the drawer exploration with a specific music
The whole concept of Old Castle
Niao Sun taking the leadership in vile manner
The hidden events (mirrors in the shop, talking to Li Feng)
Becoming a VIP and kick some ass
Exploring the drawers the first time in Shenhua's house
The atmosphere when entering the Sun's temple location
The enchanting vibe of the introduction
The dramatic turn when Shenhua is kidnapped
The idea of village tower as cryptic center of mysteries
The children are adorable

As architecture/urbanism enthusiast, I have some crush with Mr.Su because he immediately gave Bailu Village a consistency by simple phrases and flashbacks, although he sounds like a blatant liar.
A consistency that locations were quite lacking all along unfortunately so I fondly remembered that moment.

Like I have said in the past, I really enjoyed the ambience in Bailu Village. During my training sessions or chopping wood, I would turn off the music to simply listen to the sounds of nature. The sounds of chirping birds and the sounds of water was soothing. The ambience was further enhanced by the vibrant and colorful environments. Bailu Village absolutely looked like a renaissance painting.

Then there was the attention to detail that harkened back to Shenmue Chapter One: Yokosuka. As great as Shenmue II was, I always felt like the game was more streamlined to its predecessor. So to see a level of detail on par with the first game was encouraging. I find this aspect of Shenmue important because it fleshes out the world and characters more.

Then there was coming home to Shenhua every night. I really enjoyed having more meaningful conversations with her. It's something that felt like a natural progression from Shenmue II. Being around her only added to the healing atmosphere of Bailu. Finally, there was this scene that encompasses everything I love about Shenmue.

To top it off, while I thought the fanservice was excessive at times, the phone calls to old characters, the #SaveShenmue building, and the message from Suzuki at the end of the game showed how much he cares for the fans. This is another reason why I would jump at the chance for a Shenmue IV.

I honestly have my issues with Shenmue III, but it was not all bad.

Last edited:
I don't know if you realize but this comes across as really hostile and toxic to be a member of the site staff and call out all the people you disagree with and tell them they aren't allowed to post in your topic. This is what pushes people away from this small site. Forced and authoritarian "positivity" isn't positivity.

I like the general aesthetic. Visually, I have no complaints about the game (except some of the jarring character models). It's not mindblowing, but it's more than acceptable.

I don't know if you realize but this comes across as really hostile and toxic to be a member of the site staff and call out all the people you disagree with and tell them they aren't allowed to post in your topic. This is what pushes people away from this small site. Forced and authoritarian "positivity" isn't positivity.

I like the general aesthetic. Visually, I have no complaints about the game (except some of the jarring character models). It's not mindblowing, but it's more than acceptable.
No this is a change in tone. None of you have been silenced. Just look through the topics. Plenty of criticism throughout and some tone that quite frankly has been awful and disrespectful across the board.

In fact quite the opposite which has in turn seen members not return more so than a topic of this nature.

Thanks for your thoughts on the game though in this topic. The environments in particular are great.

The idea of the topic is to change the tone and have that here. There's no silencing or authoritarian stance going on and the evidence is clear in mine and the other staff members stance since release.

Last edited:
I like the way Ryo's arms swing outward when he turns around. It's very bizarre and goofy looking, but I like seeing. Not sure if it was an intentional design or not. I doubt Ryo would actually walk like that.

Back