Yu Suzuki’s Early Days Working at Sega told in Manga Form — Completed! Parts 1, 2 and 3

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Tekken 7 (always Tekken 7)
PSN
danmann861
Steam
danielmann861
This past week, I started work on a project for @Switch and his Phantom River Stone blog. This is a scanlation of an article/interview of Yu Suzuki’s Early Days at SEGA that ran on DenFamiNicoGamer in 2019 just before the release of Shenmue III. This is part 1 of 3. It’s a cool little read.

Go check it out and stay tuned for Parts 2 and 3 in the coming weeks!

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Last edited:
Thank you for your hard work, Daniel-san! But, I happened to find a tiny mistranslation. As a student Yu-san earned "200,000 yen (2000 US$)" a month, not "20,000 yen." Quite a lot of money for a student back then, I believe.

Anyway, keep up the great work for this community!

Thank you for your hard work, Daniel-san! But, I happened to find a tiny mistranslation. As a student Yu-san earned "200,000 yen (2000 US$)" a month, not "20,000 yen." Quite a lot of money for a student back then, I believe.

Anyway, keep up the great work for this community!
Ah shit, you're right!

I got 20万円 (man-en) mixed up with 20千円 (sen-en)

My bad. I'll fix it up on my end and send it over to @Switch so he can fix it up on site. Thanks for the catch though, appreciated.

Part 2 is live over at Phantom River Stone!

In this edition, Yu Suzuki reminisces about his first game (Champion Boxing) and the follow up runaway success that was Hang-On. Enjoy!

Part 3 will probably be next Sunday so stay tuned for the finale.

Last edited:
Part 3 is live over at Phantom River Stone!

In this final installment, Yu Suzuki talks about how Virtua Fighter evolved, and paved the way for the development of Shenmue. The manga ends with a tribute to the legend that is Yu Suzuki. Enjoy!

Back