Yu Suzuki interview: Shenmue 500K & Shenmue Forever @ MAGIC 2019

Currently playing
Shenmue II
Shenmue-500-K-Forever-600px.png

500-K-tweet.png

Shenmue500K.net/interview-with-yu-suzuki-magic-monaco-2019/

Nice to get some clarification on the boat chapter. Obviously moving the boat chapter to Shenmue 3 retcon but I wonder if Yu always intended for Chai to reappear anyway. There's some old footage of Chai lurking over the moon (If I can find it I will insert in here) and then there's concept art of Chai doing the same thing in Shenmue 3. Could it be that he was always meant to appear again? His role as the only ally connected to Lan Di (that we know of) who knows that Ryo's in possession on the Phoenix mirror is rather unique.
shenmue-iii-2016-12-14-16-001-1481796914525_1280w.jpg

"Consequently, these days the need for paper-based strategy books like in the past is disappearing. However, this rapid spread of information may take away the enjoyment of solving things yourself. This is something I’ve thought about: such as whether there’s a way to ensure an enjoyable experience, even under these circumstances. I keep things like this in mind."

... considering we have a topic on this very fine forum dedicated to "discovered anything new?" for SI and SII, this is awesome news. You might get the big picture playing through someone else's account, but there will be sweet details laying about. This is everything.

Nice to get some clarification on the boat chapter. Obviously moving the boat chapter to Shenmue 3 retcon but I wonder if Yu always intended for Chai to reappear anyway.
I don't think we'll literally be getting Chapter 2, point for point, converted for Shenmue III. It's probably just a few key ideas like Chai showing up (if he does indeed show up). After all, this boat journey could've been in their original plans as well. It's probably an amalgamation of things.

If Chai does show up, does it mean the events of Chapter 2 are no longer official? Or does it just mean he's tried to ambush Ryo on two different boats? Personally, I don't think it really matters either way.

Back