Yu Suzuki on 2020

Suzuki Yu

blue blue skies.
yu suzuki's statement regarding 2020

*Machine translation*
Keywords for 2020
Start a new project

Aspirations for 2020
Leverage the know-how of Shenmue III and concentrate on further free world initiatives.

What to look out for in 2020
Of course it is the Olympics. Thank you for "Mario & Sonic AT Tokyo 2020 Olympics". I'm also interested in "Moulin".

it seems like he is starting a new project based on his experience with Shenmue 3's free world. (whether it's a new IP or Shenmue 4 is to be known)
also the movie he is interesting in is Mulan. (the correct word)

Last edited:
Maybe he is going to make a spiritual successor to Virtua Fighter.(After all SEGA has abandoned the ip and there is enough room for a VF successor.)

Wasnt he also working on a VR game?

It's got to be Shen 4 - learning from Shen 3 and that note he left in the credits about always wanting to continue the story? Anything else would feel like a betrayal at the point. I get he wants to do new things but if that's the case wrap it up with 4.
I'm not really sure that happens unless Shenmue 4 was already in pre production during the development of 3.

After all a good developer should have more than just 1 ip to survive in these days.

It wouldn't shock me if they've already done some ground work on Shenmue 4. Shenmue 1 and 2 were developed jointly so it's not unreasonable to think the same may have happened here.

I agree devs need more than 1 IP to survive.

It wouldn't shock me if they've already done some ground work on Shenmue 4. Shenmue 1 and 2 were developed jointly so it's not unreasonable to think the same may have happened here.

I agree devs need more than 1 IP to survive.

I bet it's Shenmue 4 :) YsNet was created for Shenmue. I exclude it could be a new Virtua Fighter simply because currently YsNet is a team of newish developers, there aren't the AM2 veterans and fighting games are the kind of games that require most experienced teams.😋

A new project makes it sound like it's something completely new. That said, I hope it's Shenmue 4.

Yeah, to me that sounds like he isn’t making Shenmue IV right now, but rather that other game (which could take years again). The team likely isn’t big enough for two games at once. I’d love clarification on that.

Technically any non Shenmue III project is a new project, Shenmue IV included

I would be extremely surprised if it wasn't S4, based on what Yu has said after the release of 3 (and that message at the end of 3's credits).

If it's not I expect some clarification of the status of S4 to be made at the same time or shortly after the 'project' gets confirmed to acknowledge the fans.

How about mobile games ?
Maybe they can make some easy profit from those projects in order to fund Shenmue 4 themselves.
of course Yu can't say "Shenmue IV" right now before any announcement.
Yeah. At this stage of development ,games change so much that it isn't worth the risk of showing it to public.

Could be wishful thinking on Yu's part. We don't know when the interview was conducted - even if it was after S3's release, I doubt the sales data existed for a S4 greenlight.

I can't really see him getting any investment for a non-Shenmue project so quickly though. And he's indicated to fans he wants to focus on Shenmue 4 right away. I'd be surprised if he actually had the means for anything else right now.

Back