Yu Suzuki on Stage at Network Jungle II: Digitaliland

Switch

Shenmue analysis at www.phantomriverstone.com
Wonder if the idea about using the Dreamcast's microphone to talk to Shenhua inspired, or was inspired by Seaman...
Interesting point! Seaman was released just a couple of months after this event, in July.

Interesting point! Seaman was released just a couple of months after this event, in July.
If only this series was given full resources again...imagine what Shenmue IV would look and play like with unlimited resources.

At first, I said that I wanted to make 16 of them for this event, but I got anguished cries from the development team (laughs). In the end, we were only able to make four of them in time. But we started making them all of a sudden

I have a feeling if Suzuki has his way the entire cast would have been given the passport treatment! I think in many ways that’s why Shenmue is so special, because it was cutting edge but also work of dedicated, talented group working at their absolute limit.

If only this series was given full resources again...imagine what Shenmue IV would look and play like with unlimited resources.
Would be awesome indeed. Unfortunately AAA games these days are rather conversative and do not want to ehance the gameplay with new elements like voice controls. The studios these days are way to risk awerse to that. If only the old Sega of the 90s was still around. Then maybe such thing could happen but with todays publishers unfortunately.

Would be awesome indeed. Unfortunately AAA games these days are rather conversative and do not want to ehance the gameplay with new elements like voice controls. The studios these days are way to risk awerse to that. If only the old Sega of the 90s was still around. Then maybe such thing could happen but with todays publishers unfortunately.
While it’s an interesting idea, I don’t recall any game that has used voice control in a meaningful way. Not to say that it can’t work but we’ve seen stuff like this or the infamous milo demo be nothing but a smokescreen.

What is clear is Shenmue was really looking at utilizing every aspect of the Dreamcast hardware with the VMU, internet connectivity with Passport and obviously sound and graphic enhancements. Not a surprise when you consider it was billed as DC ‘killer app’ back in the day.

The Dreamcast was also designed partially with Shenmue in mind, if I remember correctly. Pretty sure I've seen some interviews where YS has said that he advised on some of the tech specifically to work with where he envisioned Shenmue going.

The Dreamcast was also designed partially with Shenmue in mind, if I remember correctly. Pretty sure I've seen some interviews where YS has said that he advised on some of the tech specifically to work with where he envisioned Shenmue going.
Yes, alongside Yuki Naka

They were two of the top advisors on the hardware. Hence Sonic Adventures, PSO and Shenmue, F355 being the best performing and stunning games on the consoles

@code l name No up to this point it was not utisiled in a meaningful manner that is true. But I think they also do not try hard enough to really make it working. It would cost tons of R&D money no gaming company is willing to spend. Why risk losing money when you can sell the same games year over year again. Just look at the gaming landscape now. Amost everything looks and plays the same.It is snore feast.But it brings the studios money without losing it. From a Business point of view It makes sense. But is still sad to see that the gaming industry lost it's urge to innovate. To really bring the medium forward gameplay wise. In that regard we only have VR and VR is barely utilised on a large scale in the gaming market. I really want to old Sega back.

They did not know how to run a business that's why the quit the console market but they had visions and dreams. With the spirt of the old Saga Yu-San could make so many great things up to this day. it is really a pity.

Back