Yu Suzuki seems to be working on a NFT project

Hello there !

Did you see that Yu Suzuki seems to be on board of a NFT project ?

Source :
I'm a bit.... surprised to say the least.

Moved to Yu Suzuki area.

Can someone explain what we can expect from this? Any chance we'll get something good from a gaming perspective? I'm not sure I quite understand what that is.

Can someone explain what we can expect from this? Any chance we'll get something good from a gaming perspective? I'm not sure I quite understand what that is.
Nothing, and it's not good for game but that's just my opinion, it's just a new way to get more money from virtual goods.

TLDR: We're in crisis and they want your fiat coins :D.

Its not bad or good, nfts can't hit you or pull your hair. Its disruptive and that has consequences leaning for both sides. That it has more cons than pros or viceversa will depend on the implementation and use of all parties (including users).
At the moment this is just yet another try to secure profits otherway lost due piracy and experimenting with new forms of proof digital asset (in this case the games) ownership, like the digital signature 2.0. Its really too soon to say with overconfidence that it will fail or success and those with interests in either of those points will tell you solid arguments for both scenarios.
Personally I believe it will be surpassed by an iteration which polish the most problemethical edges of nfts.
Wherever this goes, I can't see myself buying NFT not because some ethic conflict but lack of appeal for it.

I sadly associate it with the end of the road for many creators. Definitely did not go over well on other forums. He seems to align himself with a lot of these doomed projects (that VR thing from a few years back for instance). Maybe they pay well.. oh well.

I Think Yu Suzuki is at that age when he gets senile.
More likely he’s just desperate to secure funding for Shenmue 4 before he gets too old to make it.

I sadly associate it with the end of the road for many creators. Definitely did not go over well on other forums. He seems to align himself with a lot of these doomed projects (that VR thing from a few years back for instance). Maybe they pay well.. oh well.
At first I thought that this might be another case of him being poorly advised like with the EGS exclusivity deal, but his comments about the project (ie, Sega, Square Enix, and others are involved and so it’s not just me) suggest that he knew he was going to get some shit for this and is trying to smear it around a bit rather than have it all sticking to his name (I’m sure there’s a Pooh Suzuki joke to be made here somewhere).

The whole NFT scene really baffles me. Granted, there is a small group of idiots with more money than sense who will buy these sort of things, but it really isn’t the license to print digital money that a lot of game devs seem to think it is. For every NFT project that succeeds there are hundreds if not thousands that crash and burn and most of the ones that do get off the ground end up being rug-pull scams spearheaded by influencers who are paid to sell out their fans.

Sorry to say, but I don’t think Yu is a big enough name to sell an NFT project to the masses anymore, nor do I think that there is much of an overlap between gamers and crypto bros even if he were. The overwhelming majority of gamers detest NFTs and anybody who tries to shill them, so I can’t see this project ending well. As I say, hopefully Yu was paid a hefty chunk up front in exchange for what’s left of his reputation. Sad times!

I can see this hurting Yu’s reputation far more than the EGS store fiasco. Let’s just hope they paid him a decent amount for it and that most news sites choose to ignore it.
I hope you're right. There's one good thing that this came out over the game awards so it kinda got buried.

But with it being on here and Era there's every chance it hits mainline media soon.

I don't like NFTS personally and it could certainly hurt his reputation. But if he's being paid a tonne upfront then I guess that's something. It also seems this is only him and not YSNET linked.

I hope you're right. There's one good thing that this came out over the game awards so it kinda got buried.

But with it being on here and Era there's every chance it hits mainline media soon.

I don't like NFTS personally and it could certainly hurt his reputation. But if he's being paid a tonne upfront then I guess that's something. It also seems this is only him and not YSNET linked.
I mean no disrespect to the guys at YSNET here, but for all intents and purposes, Yu Suzuki is YSNET. If this ends up being a scam then it will absolutely reflect badly on YSNET and the studio’s ability to draw on the goodwill of gamers.

This really has bummed me out. Yu should be using his legacy to remind people how much he’s contributed to the industry and to convince them that he still has something to offer, not to shill some shitty digital nicknacks for a bunch of greedy con artists.

I mean no disrespect to the guys at YSNET here, but for all intents and purposes, Yu Suzuki is YSNET. If this ends up being a scam then it will absolutely reflect badly on YSNET and the studio’s ability to draw on the goodwill of gamers.

This really has bummed me out. Yu should be using his legacy to remind people how much he’s contributed to the industry and to convince them that he still has something to offer, not to shill some shitty digital nicknacks for a bunch of greedy con artists.
I guess it could harm the studio in the sense that if it were a con (I know little about the inner workings of this) then the reputational damage would carry.

Will this actively stop people buying YSNET games? I don't know. People kicked off when Sega, Square etc jumped into this sort of thing and they've gotten away with it. Admittedly, they are much bigger and can probably cope with the hit to a point. YSNET is still trying to get (IMO) established.

I agree with your last point though. He should be leaning on the wonderful and groundbreaking contributions to the industry. Air Twister was a nice view back to some of that.

I guess it could harm the studio in the sense that if it were a con (I know little about the inner workings of this) then the reputational damage would carry.

Will this actively stop people buying YSNET games? I don't know. People kicked off when Sega, Square etc jumped into this sort of thing and they've gotten away with it. Admittedly, they are much bigger and can probably cope with the hit to a point. YSNET is still trying to get (IMO) established.

I agree with your last point though. He should be leaning on the wonderful and groundbreaking contributions to the industry. Air Twister was a nice view back to some of that.
I don’t think it will necessarily stop people from buying YSNET games, though I do worry that it could make it difficult for Yu to get people to buy into his future projects when it comes to funding.

I don’t think it will necessarily stop people from buying YSNET games, though I do worry that it could make it difficult for Yu to get people to buy into his future projects when it comes to funding.
I guess we will see as this thing develops.

My own assumption is that this will rumble for a while, disappear and then get cancelled quietly.

I guess we will see as this thing develops.

My own assumption is that this will rumble for a while, disappear and then get cancelled quietly.

There are many ways this could go, but I think the biggest guarantee is a tarnished reputation. This should be extinguished quickly by players that care about Yu Suzuki, though it's hard to tell what can really be done here. My idol, Tomonobu Itagaki, and the apprentice of Yu Suzuki also did this recently, and it has not played well in his favor.

It's true that the Japanese developers are more interested in developing NFTs and maybe it's more popular in Japan - but out here in the West it's considered borderline disgraceful.

I don't want to say it's the end of Shenmue IV happening, but the odds seem bad. I feel like we are owed an explanation of what to expect, but there seems to be very little transparency so it's hard to see anything positive. :(

I agree it’ll likely die off like the VR thing, which also had some cryptocurrency connection. I just hate seeing him align himself with these shady types of businesses. Doesn’t make me feel too hopeful things are going to happen with bigger game development either.

Back