Yu Suzuki to speak at "Reboot Develop Blue 2019"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This looks like a Dreamcast game upscaled to 1080p. In other words, this looks almost exactly what i would have expected Shenmue III to look like. :)

If nothing else, it really feels like the Dreamcast is still thinking. Even in 2019. I hope Cedric can fulfill his wish and get this ported to the DC somehow. The nostalgic feeling is real.

I dont know if I'm ready for 8-27. Too much emotions to comprehend all at once.

Wait, he said he wanted to make a Dreamcast version!? So far fetched, yet oh so tantalizing!

Also, is no one noticing the button colors matching XBOX on the UI...? Obviously the PC version runing with a USB controller, but, still.....

what's up with "Bailu Village being one of the two main areas" ?!!!
are they seriously scraping the most important area in the game now? that's utterly unacceptable.

what's up with "Bailu Village being one of the two main areas" ?!!!
are they seriously scraping the most important area in the game now? that's utterly unacceptable.
If they have made a better overall game by spending time making 2 areas deep, engaging and true to Shenmue that's fine by me.

I know it was a kickstarter goal but that's only a guide and subject to change.

Let's enjoy the moment. The game looks awesome and has months of polishing to come.

I think Baisha never was supposed to be an explorable area.
The achievements don't quite reflect this. Some side activities like fishing and herbal medicine collection appear to be something you can do, but I fully expect Baisha to be smaller and more linear that Bailu and Niaowu are appearing to be.

Looks fucking excellent, like AM2-era Dreamcast Shenmue as we thought, and that arcade shot is particularly exciting (like the nostalgia inducing forklift one). Pleasantly surprised if I'm being honest. In-game shots finally! Game looks much better than I expected, and it does appear Suzuki has his finger on the pulse of the desires of fans, because this is exactly what I wanted.

A very unexpected (but most welcome) lovely surprise with this today. Very happy. Hoping for direct feed screens soon.

The achievements don't quite reflect this. Some side activities like fishing and herbal medicine collection appear to be something you can do, but I fully expect Baisha to be smaller and more linear that Bailu and Niaowu are appearing to be.

Like Guilin was to Shenmue II or not quite that small?

No, don't panic.

Baisha is probably just not as robust as the others and probably more heavily story oriented. We know there's a third area of the game from the achievements.
i hope there is some misunderstanding here.
i don't think of Bisha as a small area or a less robust than others.
it's the most important area with many new ideas planned for it with unique structure and important major plot events etc etc... scraping that would hurt the game tremendously.

I think Baisha never was supposed to be an explorable area.
supposedly they were planning to have minigames/activities in it just like all other areas.

The achievements never specify Baisha though, only if you complete all. While you claim there's no logic to give an achievement for finishing "both" areas, it's even less logic to give one for two areas but not the third one unless you completed both at 100%.

IIRC, he said something like it would be something he wanted, but immediately followed that up by saying he understood it was completely impractical commercially.

The conspiracy theorist in me still strongly believes that a DC prototype of Shenmue III exists somewhere in Sega's offices.

It's not far fetched to think that Shenmue II was about 90% complete when the first game released in 1999. So it makes me wonder what was done between 1999-2001?

I hope to be surprised again after I beat Shenmue III the same way we all were when we got the Saturn footage after beating II.

Like Guilin was to Shenmue II or not quite that small?
I mean I think it'll have more than Guilin in II, because you can actually participate in side activities judging from the achievements, but Baisha is the climax of the game so I think it'll be shorter/more railroaded than Bailu and Niaowu.

i hope there is some misunderstanding here.
i don't think of Bisha as a small area or a less robust than others.
it's the most important area with many new ideas planned for it with unique structure and important major plot events etc etc... scraping that would hurt the game tremendously.
Ultimately, much like Shenmue II, each geographical location won't be equal. They'll have a lot of similar elements and features, but they can't all be as fleshed out as each other.

It just seems like Bailu and Niaowu are going to be the biggest and most substantial overall, that's all. Baisha is probably going to be a more focused section for the purpose of being the game's climax.

The achievements never specify Baisha though, only if you complete all. While you claim there's no logic to give an achievement for finishing "both" areas, it's even less logic to give one for two areas but not the third one unless you completed both at 100%.
Look at the completion achievements - they're defined by location. If Niaowu/Chobu was the end of the game, that would be the completion state achievement; it wouldn't have a separate one. Same with the herbal medicine and fishing, the achievements are grouped as three all defined by the geographical location of the game.

Yes, Baisha isn't mentioned by name because the developers consider that third achievement a completion state, but it doesn't change the fact these achievements have come in threes and we've known since day one that Shenmue III would take place in three separate locales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back