Yu Suzuki to speak at "Reboot Develop Blue 2019"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really enjoyed what was shown today! It was very substancial in my opinion.
This kind of content is really what we were all expecting at MAGIC. And instead, all came in this event that we didn't had high expectations at all (I surely didn't).
I like the UI, I like Ryo's pose, and thescenarios looks damn nice.
I wont complain about nothing. I like what I'm seeing.
Even tho, this game will get a lot of shit by some people (complaining about the graphics and all), to us, that have things into prespective and know what it took to get this far, this game will be more than enough. Let's hope Reason comes to the heads of the people reviewing this game once its released.
The things they keep showing feel right. They feel like Shenmue 3 its becoming all that it can be under the provided circumstances. And that's awesome.

My gut feeling is that Baisha is a proper third area, but just much smaller than the others and meant for the climax of the game. That "infiltration" mission makes it sounds like it's near the end and the game's third act. Highly, highly doubt it has been cut. They would have told the backers eons ago, out of obligation. It's just not one of the two massive areas that comprise most of the game. Saying the game has two main areas, doesn't automatically exclude every other possible location. It just means there's two main hubs, but also peripheral locations too that are smaller, comprising Suzuki's ultimate vision for the Chinese setting.

At least that's how I interpreted it. And @Spaghetti is right. The achievements do prove with evidence that Baisha is in the game in some capacity - and the Kickstarter stretch goals prove it even more. No cause for alarm at all.

Hilariously out of place as well...

It's less immersion breaking than a picture of Shenhua's face being on Chips, Candy Bars, and Cassette tapes, imo.
Sure, late 1980's Guilin, China would not have arcades in the middle of nowhere but neither would the face of a no name, random as hell 16 year olds who has really strayed too far from their village be adorned on a bunch of items in a urban shopping district in Yokosuka, Japan.

What’s intriguing is that it’s named Hi-Tech Land Panda instead of something more Arcadey like Play Land Panda...perhaps to signify more of the Hi-Tech Pawnshop aspect it may contain...

Last edited:
It's less immersion breaking than a picture of Shenhua's face being on Chips, Candy Bars, and Cassette tapes, imo.
Sure, late 1980's Guilin, China would not have arcades in the middle of nowhere but neither would the face of a no name, random as hell 16 year olds who has really strayed too far from their village be adorned on a bunch of items in a urban shopping district in Yokosuka, Japan.
Nah, that was just a cute easter egg.

You remember the Langhuishan kids not even knowing what Arcades are? We were led to believe that Bailu is even more cutoff from civilization, a village deep in the mountains with mystical stones... Yet here we are, an Arcade center with the latest games...

This just looks like another symptom of Suzuki's preference of gamey-ness over realism in S3.

Nah, that was just a cute easter egg.

You remember the Langhuishan kids not even knowing what Arcades are? We were led to believe that Bailu is even more cutoff from civilization, a village deep in the mountains with mystical stones... Yet here we are, an Arcade center with the latest games...

This just looks like another symptom of Suzuki's preference of gamey-ness over realism in S3.

Some call it another symptom, some call it another charm haha :ROFLMAO:

Yet here we are, an Arcade center with the latest games...
Not sure if you've actually seen the panel or read the summary, but Yu made a point of developing new mechanical games for Shenmue III as opposed to solely video games (though are included), because he thought it would fit better with the era and location the game takes place in.

At some point you need to suspend your disbelief that an arcade could be in a rural Chinese village (largely because arcades are a core part of the economic gameplay loop), but it's not so egregious. Technology finds a way of getting to these remote places, one way or another. There are rural villages in Africa that have computers because somehow mid-2000s PCs have found their way to them by salvage or trade.

Don't forget - Yu doesn't do absolute realism, it's an embellished representation of real life.

At some point you need to suspend your disbelief that an arcade could be in a rural Chinese village (largely because arcades are a core part of the economic gameplay loop)
And that's what I'm referring to. Realism is being Gameplay's bitch, instead of the opposite.
Kowloon didn't have an Arcade center, all the arcade machines were in hidden rooms. Despite being practically in HK.

but it's not so egregious. Technology finds a way of getting to these remote places, one way or another. There are rural villages in Africa that have computers because somehow mid-2000s PCs have found they way to them by salvage or trade.
We're talking about a full blown arcade center here... In a mystical, rural village deep in the mountains of 80s Guilin. C'mon, that really doesn't look immersion breaking to you?

We're talking about a full blown arcade center here... In a mystical, rural village deep in the mountains of 80s Guilin. C'mon, that really doesn't look immersion breaking to you?
Keep pulling that thread and eventually you'll be wondering why they even have electricity so deep in the mountains.

If it was literally a GAME YOU branch deep in rural China that'd be far weirder, but it's a cobbled together shack with a tree trunk carving for a sign. It's not slavishly realistic, but it's not completely ignoring the context of the location either.

Keep pulling that thread and eventually you'll be wondering why they even have electricity so deep in the mountains.
Electric generators are common in rural areas, so it wouldn't be weird to see at all

If it was literally a GAME YOU branch deep in rural China that'd be far weirder, but it's a cobbled together shack with a tree trunk carving for a sign. It's not slavishly realistic, but it's not completely ignoring the context of the location either.
I'd argue the juxtaposition between the cobbled together shack's exterior and it's hi-tech content makes it even weirder

I read the Shenmue 3 team has 20 members. I thought they were at least 40, given the 2018 THQ Nordic presentation...
20 people (not counting outsourcing development) is a very small team comparing to what we now see in most games.
That being said, Shenmue 3 is even more impressive!
Tho, part of me still think that number isn't real.

Electric generators are common in rural areas, so it wouldn't be weird to see at all

I'd argue the juxtaposition between the cobbled together shack's exterior and it's hi-tech content makes it even weirder
I mean if electricity doesn't bother you, why do potentially salvaged arcade games? What about the capsule toy machines - who restocks those?

Again... you gotta suspend your disbelief here at some point. You can view it as Shenmue III being a video game triumphing over realism if you want, but would you really have the opposite where you're stuck in Bailu with less things to do? When you're actually playing the game, getting invested in the gameplay loops and user cycles, you may even appreciate that Bailu has an arcade.

I read the Shenmue 3 team has 20 members. I thought they were at least 40, given the 2018 THQ Nordic presentation...
20 people (not counting outsourcing development) is a very small team comparing to what we now see in most games.
That being said, Shenmue 3 is even more impressive!
Part of me still think that number isn't real.
Whoever wrote that goofed. Yu said he has 20 people outside the development team playing the game for testing and feedback purposes.

I mean if electricity doesn't bother you, why do potentially salvaged arcade games?
???
Electric generators are commonly found in rural areas while arcade centers are not?

Again... you gotta suspend your disbelief here at some point. You can view it as Shenmue III being a video game triumphing over realism if you want, but would you really have the opposite where you're stuck in Bailu with less things to do? When you're actually playing the game, getting invested in the gameplay loops and user cycles, you may even appreciate that Bailu has an arcade.
Hard to say before I've played the game, but one of the main reasons I loved Shenmue is it's immaculate dedication to realism even at the expense of what people consider "fun", so I'm not thrilled at the prospect of playing these mini-games at the expense of losing some degree of immersion.

???
Electric generators are commonly found in rural areas while arcade centers are not?

Hard to say before I've played the game, but one of the main reasons I loved Shenmue is it's immaculate dedication to realism even at the expense of what people consider "fun", so I'm not thrilled at the prospect of playing these mini-games at the expense of losing some degree of immersion.

So an arcade in a more populated area which is a boat ride away from the rural Bailu Village are a no, no.

But, floating swords which only allow one person to touch it, self raising plynths powering a mirror to fire a laser beam across to said floating sword, thus causing a reflective effect to set fire to a bunch of torches connected by rope is tickety boo.

If that's not arguing for argument's sake then I don't know what is. (Awaits reply justifying that mystical elements which defy natural possibilities are less intrusive to realism immersion, than a claw machine transported by boat to the area)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back