Yu Suzuki to speak at "Reboot Develop Blue 2019"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shenmue III is shaping up to be better than I expected. One gripe I did have about the series was how the mini games didn't yield better prizes and rewards, but that is changing along with how side quest felt weak comparing to the main story. Looks like they fixed that. I hope we still get some classic arcade games or at least one or two. To think we are getting this within a few months. I gave up on the idea of 3 and was at peace with the fact that this was never going to happen, but I was proven wrong and know that if you ask enough it can happen.

I think Baisha never was supposed to be an explorable area.

I expected to be similar to disc 4 from Shenmue II to be honest with only a little bit of the exploration and free time elements at this point.

Last edited:
Don't forget - Yu doesn't do absolute realism, it's an embellished representation of real life.

He even said as much in this presentation. I can't remember the exact quote but I remember he said something about realism.

Besides, did it really make any realistic sense at all to have random arcade games in random rooms in Kowloon? I don't think that was realism, I think that was Yu Suzuki putting in easter eggs for gamers willing to search and find them.

I never really got this whole "Shenmue is uber realistic" thing. Yes, in certain regards it has very authentic touches that represent the culture it portrays, but at the same time, it's a game that is dealing with the mystical idea of two mirrors summoning a dragon. There has always been an odd tonal shift between realism and hyper realism in these games. How else do you explain Shenhua showing up on Chocolate bars in Shenmue?

There is a Sega Saturn in 1986 (if we were going for strict realism; it should have been a Sega SG-1000)
There are Virtua Fighter capsule toys in 1986 (how can a game made in 1993 exist in 1986?)
There are Sonic toys in 1986 (how would Ryo know Sonic when Sonic didn't even exist at that time?)

That's not realism :) That cute little nods but it certainly ain't realism. So I'll never get this whole "Shenmue is so realistic" claim. Yes, it authentically portrays the culture of its time period...but there has always been some absolutely out of place shit in Shenmue that detracts from that slavish need for realism...it's always been a mix of odd tone. And that's partially why I love it.

Last edited:
I just finished watching the conference. Yu Suzuki has to be one of the most gentle and humble souls out I’ve come across in my lifetime.

I really hope that game reviewers choose their opinions carefully when reviewing this game, because this man, at age 60, just finished pouring four years of life, his heart and soul into Shenmue 3. And we can all be absolutely certain that it wasn’t for financial gain.

I never really got this whole "Shenmue is uber realistic" thing.

I've been thinking about this recently, and I think there's a blurriness regarding the ways in which Shenmue is "realistic." The daily grind smacks of the normal, but the entire story arc is anything but realistic.

The analogy I like to use, cheap as it may be: Ryo is wearing a real model of a Timex watch, but it moves at Shenmue speed. We read into the details we want to accept and deny.

Lest I derail the thread, I'm curious what people think about the snippets of the nature of the fighting system (specifically, points and levels). Is 1573 the marker for level 10, or perhaps the total? Is it a combo of both?

I've been thinking about this recently, and I think there's a blurriness regarding the ways in which Shenmue is "realistic." The daily grind smacks of the normal, but the entire story arc is anything but realistic.

The analogy I like to use, cheap as it may be: Ryo is wearing a real model of a Timex watch, but it moves at Shenmue speed. We read into the details we want to accept and deny.

Lest I derail the thread, I'm curious what people think about the snippets of the nature of the fighting system (specifically, points and levels). Is 1573 the marker for level 10, or perhaps the total? Is it a combo of both?

View attachment 2688

Good questions. I presumed 399 to be the total Attack points and 1573 to be the total Endurance points, with the LV ranking determined dynamically based on a combination of variables, including points, levels, ratios, time, unknowns, etc, but I could be wrong.

What I’m also intrigued about is how Yu Suzuki-sama potentially eluded to martial artists in the dojo representing their ranks through different belt colors and garments or Gi styles.

I just finished watching the conference. Yu Suzuki has to be one of the most gentle and humble souls out I’ve come across in my lifetime.

I really hope that game reviewers choose their opinions carefully when reviewing this game, because this man, at age 60, just finished pouring four years of life, his heart and soul into Shenmue 3. And we can all be absolutely certain that it wasn’t for financial gain.

Indeed, one of the last true artists still alive, if you ask me. Don’t know anyone else who has sacrificed as much for a work of art and its fans more than Yu Suzuki-sama...even if Shenmue III fails, the spirit and soul shown in trying to preserve a dream for the world is beyond words...

Seems Yu really took the life saying "Be humble and respectful to those you meet on your way up, because you'll see them again on your way down." to heart. So many EX-AM2 developers are throwing their hat in the ring with Yu and I'm sure taking a minimum salary knowing they can negotiate higher pay with the legendary track-records they hold.

After reading the arcade realism argument... aren't they in Niaowu, which is bit less rural and more urban? Regardless, if an arcade (even a full blown YOU) ruins a game's atmostphere, then time to go play another game, no?

One thing i completely overlooked from the conference was that it was hosted by Ben "it's better than nothing" Judd lol. Must be looking some Kickstarter game redemption there.
Ben Judd made and awesome job in the presentation.
He was allways looking for the positive aspects of the game and capitalizing on them.
He also seems to know about Shenmue really well.
This confference was waaaaaay better than the Magic one.

Seems Yu really took the life saying "Be humble and respectful to those you meet on your way up, because you'll see them again on your way down." to heart. So many EX-AM2 developers are throwing their hat in the ring with Yu and I'm sure taking a minimum salary knowing they can negotiate higher pay with the legendary track-records they hold.

Indeed, hopefully all the artists and team members eventually receive their just due as well. If Shenmue III succeeds, the saga will take care of them. Also, they may have more creative freedom working with Ys Net in comparison to others in the industry.

Baisha features an area where you're supposed to meet a master alone in the middle of geysers.

Baisha may be the smallest location but it's not going be as straightforward as you imagine.

View attachment 2688
Pretty sure 1573 is Ryo's total stamina, but he's worked himself down to 399 through activity. If you can look closely, the small gems don't fully fill the circle (so Ryo hasn't fully leveled his endurance up), and only a small amount of them are lit up (which indicates he's running low).

Then you've got some kind of buff(?) item or herbal medicine we've seen on the combat UI before, Ryo's money, and Ryo's tokens.

I just finished watching the conference great presentation from Ben Judd in my opinion this presentation was better than magic monaco, i am really happy about the look of the game it feels like a proper shenmue game, reading about the negatives comments all i have to say is that i have faith in yu suzuki the game its gonna meet our expectation so there is no need to ague it, always believe in yu suzuki....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back