Yu Suzuki's 1994 China Research Trip Part 5: Days Two & Three

Switch

Shenmue analysis at www.phantomriverstone.com
This is the fifth part of our series on Yu Suzuki's 1994 trip to China that inspired content for Virtua Fighter 2 and led to the creation of Virtua Fighter RPG / Shenmue.

In this part, Yu spends time in Beijing and then travels to Shaolin Temple.

"I believe the reason Yu took so many close-up photos is because he wanted to use them a source of textures. He not only took photos, but also did things like kicking the ground and walls, and stroking them to check how they felt to the touch. "

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2020/02/yu-suzukis-1994-china-research-trip.html

1580821299963.png

Fantastic once again! The article reminded me of the removal of the Luoyang embroidery and how it must have been done on purpose.

I originally put it down to the team downplaying the "magical" aspects of Shenmue II. However, that by itself doesn't make much sense because Shenhua wouldn't have to comment on it, and even if she did, they could've easily downplayed her comments instead of removing it entirely.

Also, Shenhua still talks about communicating with animals, not to mention the infamous interrogation scene, so I'm not convinced they were purposefully downplaying magical elements at all, more that starting the game with a floating sword -- only to move immediately back to the mundane -- would've been too jarring, and required explanation.

I think the more likely reason for the embroidery's removal is Luoyang was once intended to be an in-game location, and now that's no longer the case, given the series has probably been reduced down to five games. Just a guess, of course.

I think the more likely reason for the embroidery's removal is Luoyang was once intended to be an in-game location, and now that's no longer the case, given the series has probably been reduced down to five games. Just a guess, of course.
That makes a lot of sense.It would have been a distraction to have left it there in such a prominent place if it is no longer going to play any significant role in the game.

Back