Yu's design philosphy hasn't changed much for s3?

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
So I found an old article about his game design theory...

part 1.jpg

And everything here seems to still be relevant based upon all recent interviews we've had about s3. Think Yu is hiding more(Besides story-spoilers) than what he's letting us on about s3? Like some secret innovative ideas he's still holding close to his chest perhaps?:unsure:

He's already discussed 'evolving' QTEs and completely revamping the game's combat, so in a way yes.

"If it's possible to link the user's brainwave responses to the game character's movements, the character would become the ultimate second self."

As if to prove your point, he was still saying the same thing a few months after Shenmue 3's announcement:

With such a diverse back catalog already decorating his résumé, is there any new genre he'd still like to take on?

"Yes, yes, there is," replied Suzuki-san, saying there were "various" styles he would like to try, "Possibly one that doesn't even exist yet!" Becoming animated, he demonstrated his frustration when using controllers, confessing to being hopeless at it, and imagines a day when characters on the screen will be controlled by the player's own brain waves, moving in the direction desired by the power of thought.

As if to prove your point, he was still saying the same thing a few months after Shenmue 3's announcement:

I see.

Isn't it odd that out of all the OG's greats of his era Yu still have the drive to pursue new ambitious gaming territories? Like implement scanning and barcoding tech into games? Hell, the young gens are still twinkling with VR and he's already thinking about awakening innate psychic powers within humans...20 yrs prior.:eek::oops:o_O:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Yu's replies are so level-headed, and his philosophy on game design really hasn't changed: gameplay trumps realism. Some people may not think he got the balance right in Shenmue, but there's no denying he's constantly thinking about the player experience.

I love when the interviewer is like, "Is VF3 going to move into 3D space like Toshinden?" and Yu be like "Toshinden's trash lol".

And he also says he worries about graphics last... go figure.

Yu's replies are so level-headed, and his philosophy on game design really hasn't changed: gameplay trumps realism. Some people may not think he got the balance right in Shenmue, but there's no denying he's constantly thinking about the player experience.

I love when the interviewer is like, "Is VF3 going to move into 3D space like Toshinden?" and Yu be like "Toshinden's trash lol".
And he also says he worries about graphics last... go figure.

Yea, I feel even more sympathetic that he's been lambasted and roasted by media,fans,& bystanders for the very thing he considers a last priority.

Gamescom 2017/2018 kneejerk outrage wouldn't have been a thing if they researched a bit of Yu's priortiy bucket list.:hmm::(

Also wisest to do at end. In 3 years, surely his animators/visual programmers improved working with certain design tools as well as the unreal engine (or the VF engine, Shenmue engine, etc from his portfolio) itself been revised with slightly better performance for slightly better tech. Leaving the gfx last gives most opportunity for impressive performance, while being least important in an agile development cycle.

Last edited:
It's just frustrating because you run into a lot of people naysaying that: "People always say the graphics/character models are gonna get better!' Of course, the obvious response is to ignore that and not care; however, it's nice to see in Yu Suzuki's case things will get better because that is how he designs his games. (And that's why I'll have faith in this project until it comes out, cuz YS is the man)

Back