General Shenmue & Shenmue II talk

Not a spoiler or anything, but I was playing today, and I realised something was missing, the VMU sound. I know that it won't happen, but I would love for an option where the VMU sound is played through the PS4 controller ?

That would be awesome.

Along with Dreamcast grinding sounds during loads.

Maybe a mod for PC will do this.
The grinding sound! YES! ?

And welcome to the board Matt!

Reactions: arh
pretty sure there will never be a physical version for PC. most of the Steam games that have a physical version,
are games from the west or are made for the west and nowadays there is only a Steam Setup.exe on that disc.

the re release of Shenmue has 15 gb or so in total, that wouldnt even fit on one DVD.
so they would have to spend even more money.
Sega doesnt care about physical PC versions for Yakuza.

The DVD in most retail releases on PC is entirely for show and contains a tiny .exe file. You are always required to download the game from Steam after imputing the code. Its rare to see a proper PC game ship with the entire game on the disc with no sort of Steam download.

My thing is, if it needed to be worked on a little while longer, why not delay the release. I mean, it didn't really matter anyway this whole rollout was basically all done in secret. What would a few more months of dev time even mattered.

Deadlines, deadlines, deadlines. Releasing it on the date that makes the most sense so it can sell as much as it possibly can comes down to marketing strategy, timing is everything after all. And this is a pretty good time to drop it (second half of the year before the holidays is always good, especially considering the first game takes place in December and has christmas themes later on) also they get it out before the holiday AAA big guns which makes sense, have late adopters all through out the holidays and early next year, so we can check off those areas.

My issue is releasing it literally a week before Yakuza Kiwami 2, which is basically Shenmue's only competition, and the fact its also Segas game, so im not sure what to take from that end of things, or what Sega is saying by doing that forcing some consumers to make a choice of which to buy. Then there is also the issue of it doesnt seem the game is quite ready (as far as we know right now) and has taken up the modern gaming standard of release now and fix later which I am not a fan of this release philosophy and have no earthly idea how it became standard but devs seem to think its ok to tell us to deal with less than ready game but still pay us now, because quarterly and annual profit margins and the corporate side of it.

I personally thought maybe early next year may have been better based on everything we know now, but I think Sega is also taking into account of preparing this audience for Shenmue 3 which is coming out next year so there is that too. Just a shame they couldnt get it running buttery smooth in time, other than that its really not a bad time at all to release this thing.

Last thing is alot is riding on Shenmue I and II HD, there are so many new players that will be exposed to the games to get them on board so it could really hurt Shenmue 3 if Sega takes the piss and this release gets screwed up and early signs are saying thats possible so everyone is nervous and we are trying to do everything we can to avoid a botched release and subsequent backlash, but its all in Segas hands now.

Hope most of that in a nut shell explains why they went ahead and dropped it earlier rather than later. Cheers.

Then there is also the issue of it doesnt seem the game is quite ready (as far as we know right now) and has taken up the modern gaming standard of release now and fix later which I am not a fan of this release philosophy and have no earthly idea how it became standard but devs seem to think its ok to tell us to deal with less than ready game but still pay us now, because quarterly and annual profit margins and the corporate side of it.

Exactly.

I received the game yesterday, but only got around to playing it for about 30-40 minutes before posting this. Which sort of shows the pessimism I had for this release after reading the early pages of this thread!

Firstly, the sound really is the biggest issue in my opinion. If you've ever played Shenmue IIx on the Xbox 360, it's essentially like that at its worst. Volume dips, sound effects completely missing, general game sound being much too quiet etc. It's honestly enough for me to stop playing and wait until a patch hopefully fixes things.

Some other things I observed from my brief playthrough:

- The stairs glitch seems to have been corrected, which is a shame!
- Arcade games: Darts, fine. QTE Title, fine. Space Harrier, died on the second boss and it automatically put me on the third stage? Hang On, analogue controls seemed tighter which is good. Excite QTE, broken. Screen glitches and pressing up didn't seem to work!? All had sound issues sadly.
- Positives: Loading times are great. I like the collectables guide. Graphics are sharp and the switch from 4/3 to widescreen isn't as jarring as I expected. Able to switch from English to Japanese voice acting, save anywhere, controls etc. all the things already mentioned.

Overall it's just a sloppy release. It's 90% there, but the missing 10% is really noticeable.

I received the game yesterday, but only got around to playing it for about 30-40 minutes before posting this. Which sort of shows the pessimism I had for this release after reading the early pages of this thread!

Firstly, the sound really is the biggest issue in my opinion. If you've ever played Shenmue IIx on the Xbox 360, it's essentially like that at its worst. Volume dips, sound effects completely missing, general game sound being much too quiet etc. It's honestly enough for me to stop playing and wait until a patch hopefully fixes things.

Some other things I observed from my brief playthrough:

- The stairs glitch seems to have been corrected, which is a shame!
- Arcade games: Darts, fine. QTE Title, fine. Space Harrier, died on the second boss and it automatically put me on the third stage? Hang On, analogue controls seemed tighter which is good. Excite QTE, broken. Screen glitches and pressing up didn't seem to work!? All had sound issues sadly.
- Positives: Loading times are great. I like the collectables guide. Graphics are sharp and the switch from 4/3 to widescreen isn't as jarring as I expected. Able to switch from English to Japanese voice acting, save anywhere, controls etc. all the things already mentioned.

Overall it's just a sloppy release. It's 90% there, but the missing 10% is really noticeable.
Curious, which console and patch number are you on?

Been playing the game, and it’s been great and hardly any bugs. Today I got some however ? December 7th. Cutscenes play, but I only see a closeup of some textures. The kitchen cutscene won’t trigger to. I assume it will be fixed with a patch ??

Damn. Stairs exploit fixed? Now im worried about the map glitch from S2. Shame Sega doesnt embrace shenmues glitches like Capcom does for Megaman.

I would like to pre order the japanese limited edition. Does any one know if the japanese version has eng subs and text?

It hasn't been confirmed. Koralik said it will, but I honestly think he just assumed that... Play-Asia don't have it listed as having English.

I would like to pre order the japanese limited edition. Does any one know if the japanese version has eng subs and text?

Be careful of any import duty if you go along this route. In the UK for example if the item value is over £15(Which includes postage value) you'll get hit with duty & Royal Mails £8 handling fee. Every country is different with the threshold but the games value will surely get the tax regardless of where you live.

I very much doubt the Japanese release will have English subtitles, at least in my experience with Japanese releases. The "Asian" editions normally have English subtitles for places like Hong Kong and Singapore that speak English but for Japan, where English is nowhere near as common, there's no reason for them to include them. I mean, is the Japanese release including the English dub? I suppose that's your only hope with that release.

I could be wrong, just speaking from experience from importing games from Japan.

Be careful of any import duty if you go along this route. In the UK for example if the item value is over £15(Which includes postage value) you'll get hit with duty & Royal Mails £8 handling fee. Every country is different with the threshold but the games value will surely get the tax regardless of where you live.

No worries. play asia offer a hassle free doorstep delivery with customs clearance to your destination, parcel tracking and import tax paid. For about 20€ (tracked shipping costs adn tax). Not sure if this include uk because of brexit.

@Henry

there's no reason for them to include them

You are right about englisch subs in jap. games but I think there might be a reason: Avoid the effort to exclude the eng language. I guess Sega uses the same version as base.

Back