Kickstarter is the only way

Wouldn't confirming Shenmue 4 help Shenmue 3 sales? People would figure that it did well enough to continue the series. Any holdouts would buy Shenmue 3 so they wouldn't get left behind.

Yes in theory but the problem is Shenmue 3 is a Deep Silver published product and if it turns out 4 isn't, then there may be an issue. Let's say Epic has spoke to YsNet and they are happy to fund 4, a press release now gives off the impression that Deep Silver have no confidence in their product which wouldn't be an issue if Shenmue 3 was done and dusted, but it could affect sales of the upcoming Steam / GOG release of 3.

Yes in theory but the problem is Shenmue 3 is a Deep Silver published product and if it turns out 4 isn't, then there may be an issue. Let's say Epic has spoke to YsNet and they are happy to fund 4, a press release now gives off the impression that Deep Silver have no confidence in their product which wouldn't be an issue if Shenmue 3 was done and dusted, but it could affect sales of the upcoming Steam / GOG release of 3.

What's the chances that Deep Silver isn't involved with Shenmue 4? Cedric Biscay and others say that it sold "fine." I wish they would define "fine."

I still see little glimmers of information about Shenmue 3 from various Koch/Deep Silver accounts. There's a strong chance they're totally happy and we'll all be surprised in a few months... Definitely think news of Shenmue IV would be positive, but we have to consider the business/contractural implications of an early announcement before assuming the worst. Any info. you get from social media accounts related to Shenmue 3 should be next to useless, as no one who's directly involved would betray the trust of Ys Net, or the publisher, by giving a hint as to the status of Shenmue IV.

I will say I've tried very hard to see if Ys Net is hiring anyone over the months since Shenmue 3 came out and have yet to even come across a crumb...

I still see little glimmers of information about Shenmue 3 from various Koch/Deep Silver accounts. There's a strong chance they're totally happy and we'll all be surprised in a few months... Definitely think news of Shenmue IV would be positive, but we have to consider the business/contractural implications of an early announcement before assuming the worst. Any info. you get from social media accounts related to Shenmue 3 should be next to useless, as no one who's directly involved would betray the trust of Ys Net, or the publisher, by giving a hint as to the status of Shenmue IV.

I will say I've tried very hard to see if Ys Net is hiring anyone over the months since Shenmue 3 came out and have yet to even come across a crumb...

Would having multiple partners involved with Shenmue 4 help? Or would this scare off other publishers from getting involved because their slice of the pie would be smaller.

Sony, Microsoft, Sega, Deep Silver and Epic.

I still believe it will happen without need for KS.

They have the fundamentals in place. They could easily bring over assets from III and build on them. Sure, you would have to create new locales, new NPC’s and such, but I do believe they can get to IV. The building blocks are there and it’s just a matter of finding a comfortable budget to help them get there.

I still believe it could happen. I’ll stop believing only when Yu says “it’s dead”

I’m still holding out hope, if we got to III against all odds then we can get to IV.

@danielmann861 I hope you are right. Do not get me wrong I am not giving S4 up. I only would give up if Yu San says it is over.

But we have to be realistic here. The game Industry is a profit driven Industry. Always was always will be. Most rich companies are not interested in experiments. They prefer to release the same old boring games every year just with some better graphics.

Although I personally think this sucks I cannot blame the suits too much. Why should they work hard if People are buying the same stuff all again.

And it is not that we old School gamer cannot get some advantages from the fact that some fools are buying the same games again and again. Without the Fortnite kids and their parents we maybe would not the UE 5 Engine.

That engine is quite cool and could lead to some promising Next Gen games.

But back to Shenmue. I do not think it is impossible that some rich Company would be willing to fund S4 without Kickstarter it is going to be quite hard.

I always wonder which Company could be intersted in Funding a risky project?

There will be no engine switch for Shenmue 4.
That forces them to redo a lot of codes and stuff.(Which I don't think it worths it)

There will be no engine switch for Shenmue 4.
That forces them to redo a lot of codes and stuff.(Which I don't think it worths it)

Upgrading from UE4 to UE5 shouldn't be too much of an issue according to those who know the ins and outs of the new engine. It's being touted as a fairly easy process in comparison to previous versions.

I wish someone like Jeff Bezos (net worth $196.6 billion) or Elon Musk ($74.2 billion) were huge fans of the series and would put up the funding to finish the series. A cool $10m per game should do I think. Back to reality I guess but we can at least dream! :sleep:

I wish someone like Jeff Bezos (net worth $196.6 billion) or Elon Musk ($74.2 billion) were huge fans of the series and would put up the funding to finish the series. A cool $10m per game should do I think. Back to reality I guess but we can at least dream! :sleep:

Need more than 10m per game tbh. Shenmue 3 was almost 20mil according to Yu, so 10 each won’t really do the next instalments justice.

I think they should call it Shenmue: The Final Chapter, I know it's on the nose but it gets the point. Set the second half in Yokosuka and use that nostalgia to advertise it, with familiar faces like Guizhang and Goro. Promise to change the battle system so it's more like the originals and get rid of the stamina meter. I think if you did stuff like that, it might have a better chance of getting backed.

The first half could focus on closure in the cliff temple, the treasure and dealing with Sun's Chi You Men who destroy themselves. The second half has the classic characters putting up a stand against Lan Di and he sees the futility of Chi You, then an epilogue when an older Ryo lives in China and maybe able to beat Lan Di properly.

At this point, I think the only real option for funding Shenmue IV is Sega since they still have the final say on if it gets greenlit or not.

I think they should call it Shenmue: The Final Chapter, I know it's on the nose but it gets the point. Set the second half in Yokosuka and use that nostalgia to advertise it, with familiar faces like Guizhang and Goro. Promise to change the battle system so it's more like the originals and get rid of the stamina meter. I think if you did stuff like that, it might have a better chance of getting backed.

The first half could focus on closure in the cliff temple, the treasure and dealing with Sun's Chi You Men who destroy themselves. The second half has the classic characters putting up a stand against Lan Di and he sees the futility of Chi You, then an epilogue when an older Ryo lives in China and maybe able to beat Lan Di properly.

No offense but that sounds extremely unappealing to me. For better or worse I hope Suzuki fulfills his original concept and design, obviously with smart concessions and edits to condense the scenes to fit 1 or arguably two more games. Also I hope we don't see or hear from Guizhang or Goro moving forward. It was fun fan service in Shenmue 3, but there involvement with the story has ended.

On that note, I don't expect to see Yokosuka outside maybe an epilogue in final game. The games core story has always been set in China and I expect that to be retained.

No offense but that sounds extremely unappealing to me. For better or worse I hope Suzuki fulfills his original concept and design, obviously with smart concessions and edits to condense the scenes to fit 1 or arguably two more games. Also I hope we don't see or hear from Guizhang or Goro moving forward. It was fun fan service in Shenmue 3, but there involvement with the story has ended.

On that note, I don't expect to see Yokosuka outside maybe an epilogue in final game. The games core story has always been set in China and I expect that to be retained.

Man I thought Guizhang was supposed to meet up with Ryo and tag along for the adventure.

Man I thought Guizhang was supposed to meet up with Ryo and tag along for the adventure.

I don't know if you consider the phone conversations in Shenmue 3 cannon, but from my recollection it did not sound like Guizhang was planning on catching up with Ryo. Keep in mind his original intent was to help Ryo locate Xuixing and locate Yunda Zhu.

Obviously that has been accomplished and Ryo is further in his adventures so I think moving forward Ren and Shenhua will be Ryo's primary companions.

I think returning to Yokosuka for the 2nd half would be smart because it gets the nostalgia in the pitch, combining the excitement of how Yokosuka would be done in a remake. Also it may be cheaper than not coming up with a new city and characters for the 2nd half.

From a story perspective it sounds like the easiest way to unite the characters for a final battle, because Chen can write to Xiuying/Yuanda Zhu, and Ziming can be with Lan Di. And going full circle would be emotional but instead of Lan Di getting the mirrors, Shenhua frees their power.

About half way through, Lan Di could burn down the Shenmue trees after finding out the truth about Shenhua's powers. She could use the same power in the cherry tree (with the white leaf being a clue) The tree connecting China and Japan.

shenmue9fkdi.png

I think returning to Yokosuka for the 2nd half would be smart because it gets the nostalgia in the pitch, combining the excitement of how Yokosuka would be done in a remake. Also it may be cheaper than not coming up with a new city and characters for the 2nd half.

From a story perspective it sounds like the easiest way to unite the characters for a final battle, because Chen can write to Xiuying/Yuanda Zhu, and Ziming can be with Lan Di. And going full circle would be emotional but instead of Lan Di getting the mirrors, Shenhua frees their power.

About half way through, Lan Di could burn down the Shenmue trees after finding out the truth about Shenhua's powers. She could use the same power in the cherry tree (with the white leaf being a clue) The tree connecting China and Japan.

I think you are vastly over estimating power of nostalgia, especially as I’m sure fans want true vision of Suzuki original planned story line and not was haphazard resolution in Yokosuka.

I encourage you to view the original VF concept art. While I’m sure there have been changes and amendments throughout the years I think it’s our best way to gauge how the story may develop. Keep in mind in the original novelization all the remaining chapters are set in various town and cities in China.

I’m pointing this out so you have expectations set correctly.

I think you are vastly over estimating power of nostalgia, especially as I’m sure fans want true vision of Suzuki original planned story line and not was haphazard resolution in Yokosuka.

I encourage you to view the original VF concept art. While I’m sure there have been changes and amendments throughout the years I think it’s our best way to gauge how the story may develop. Keep in mind in the original novelization all the remaining chapters are set in various town and cities in China.

I’m pointing this out so you have expectations set correctly.
I don't think that's going to happen. 4 is far from guaranteed too, so I think if they somehow get funding they should go in a different direction and build a conclusion at the cliff temple with the Chi You inner conflict and where the treasure somehow backfires on Sun and her men. Then the second half dealing the threads like Lan Di leading a new army and Xuiying/Ziming to try to get the mirrors again, and if there's a secret relation to be confronted with Shenhua/Lan Di and the old empire.

I don't know if you consider the phone conversations in Shenmue 3 cannon, but from my recollection it did not sound like Guizhang was planning on catching up with Ryo. Keep in mind his original intent was to help Ryo locate Xuixing and locate Yunda Zhu.

Obviously that has been accomplished and Ryo is further in his adventures so I think moving forward Ren and Shenhua will be Ryo's primary companions.

No offense but I hope your wrong. I've been waiting for Guizhang to make another appearance. I wouldn't mind if it was Ryo, Ren, Shenhua and Guizhang the rest of the way. Its not a dealbreaker though.

Back