Random Shenmue III Thoughts

So a month ago I compared Shenmue 3 with FFVIIR on a few trophy sites...

September 10th:
PSN Profiles: 4,014 (+8%) vs 75,986 (+15%)
True Trophies: 3,514 (+13%) vs 81,663 (+16%)
PSN TL: 4,465 (+7%) vs 90,756 (+8%)
Average: (+9.3%) vs (+13%)

Gotta say I’m pretty impressed that the figures are so close considering FFVIIR releases 5 months later than Shenmue 3 and got it’s first big price cut around the beginning of this period.

The figures suggest that FFVIIR sales are now up to 5,650,000, so allowing for players who aren’t tracked in S3 due to the trophy list error, we get...

PSN Profiles: 373,118
True Trophies: 303,937
PSN TL: 347,444
Average: 341,500

Still not great, but accounting for special editions, duplicate copies and PC sales it’s possible that we’re at least around the 500,000 mark. If the game can maintain 10% month on month growth until the end of the year and the Steam release isn’t a complete flop, the game could end up posting some fairly respectable figures.

Great work as always Tomboz

So a month ago I compared Shenmue 3 with FFVIIR on a few trophy sites...

September 10th:
PSN Profiles: 4,014 (+8%) vs 75,986 (+15%)
True Trophies: 3,514 (+13%) vs 81,663 (+16%)
PSN TL: 4,465 (+7%) vs 90,756 (+8%)
Average: (+9.3%) vs (+13%)

Gotta say I’m pretty impressed that the figures are so close considering FFVIIR releases 5 months later than Shenmue 3 and got it’s first big price cut around the beginning of this period.

The figures suggest that FFVIIR sales are now up to 5,650,000, so allowing for players who aren’t tracked in S3 due to the trophy list error, we get...

PSN Profiles: 373,118
True Trophies: 303,937
PSN TL: 347,444
Average: 341,500

Still not great, but accounting for special editions, duplicate copies and PC sales it’s possible that we’re at least around the 500,000 mark. If the game can maintain 10% month on month growth until the end of the year and the Steam release isn’t a complete flop, the game could end up posting some fairly respectable figures.

500k for such a super niche game is good. It wasn't as big of a flop as certain YouTuber's claim

This is very random, but I was installing and testing out the new update to the improved Shenmue textures on PC, and looked a bit intently at the scrolls in the dojo. I then was feeling like watching some positive Shenmue III videos, of which there may be no better than:

At that time stamp (9:43) I noticed something. Something I hadn't noticed before, despite reading it plenty of times while playing Shenmue III. Those are the same hanging scrolls as in the Hadzuki dojo!

"道可道非常道" - 'Douka Douhi Joudou'

This actually makes me feel the same way I did a while back when I noticed for the first time that Fuku-san has the phrase 'Meikyou Shisui' ("mind like a polished mirror") up on the wall in his room.

My hunger for Shenmue 3 is growing strong. Its almost been a year since i played it. I only played it once.

Im craving a second playthrough
I enjoyed it even more the second time through, I say go for it! ;)

My hunger for Shenmue 3 is growing strong. Its almost been a year since i played it. I only played it once.

Im craving a second playthrough

I feel the same way. I want to save my playthrough for PC version so I can experience 60FPS, but without having gaming PC I would have to use Shadow service. I am keeping eye out to see if PS5 backwards compatibility but help there but also there’s some really interesting mods the community has created.

I feel the same way. I want to save my playthrough for PC version so I can experience 60FPS, but without having gaming PC I would have to use Shadow service. I am keeping eye out to see if PS5 backwards compatibility but help there but also there’s some really interesting mods the community has created.

Im in the same boat. I want to play it again with the retro cam and other mods.

I think shadow has upgraded its service last time i checked

Im in the same boat. I want to play it again with the retro cam and other mods.

I think shadow has upgraded its service last time i checked

Yes! The retro camera mod is primary reason I want to play this on PC.

I am in West Coast of Canada so I have to use their California data center. I recall I was getting a smidge over 30 ms ping which is a little unfortunate. I guess know it takes typically a few months to activate the service?

Yes! The retro camera mod is primary reason I want to play this on PC.

I am in West Coast of Canada so I have to use their California data center. I recall I was getting a smidge over 30 ms ping which is a little unfortunate. I guess know it takes typically a few months to activate the service?

Yeah, my data center was based in Europe and i'm in the UK.

I think they take a little longer to activate now because they optimize a personal PC for you and your country, so theoretically you should get a better experience this time round.

The retro camera is a must for the next playthrough. It looks so much better

Yeah, my data center was based in Europe and i'm in the UK.

I think they take a little longer to activate now because they optimize a personal PC for you and your country, so theoretically you should get a better experience this time round.

The retro camera is a must for the next playthrough. It looks so much better

The Retro Camera? You mean the one that shows Ryo whole body?

It's true that I'm interested in that mode.

For me, what I need to do also is buy the DLCs, I haven't bought them yet (unable to buy it on the EGS...), so I'll buy them on Steam to further support the license!

The Retro Camera? You mean the one that shows Ryo whole body?

It's true that I'm interested in that mode.

For me, what I need to do also is buy the DLCs, I haven't bought them yet (unable to buy it on the EGS...), so I'll buy them on Steam to further support the license!

I might just do the same. Although, i do have a EGS voucher, so i might buy it there and on steam

Yes you can read more about the mod here

And here’s video of it in action-

That's a good video. My only issue is i still think the camera isn't adjusted properly. It still has the "diagonal downwards" focus that the default Shenmue 3 camera has.

This video from our pal spaghetti i think is spot on to the original games. It makes the environments look much better as well

I might just do the same. Although, i do have a EGS voucher, so i might buy it there and on steam

That's a good video. My only issue is i still think the camera isn't adjusted properly. It still has the "diagonal downwards" focus that the default Shenmue 3 camera has.

This video from our pal spaghetti i think is spot on to the original games. It makes the environments look much better as well

That's super immersive. Is the mod available for download !?

That is absolutely amazing, thanks for sharing that video. Yes it looks properly calibrated and between the classic camera and high framerate the game looks stunning! Pair that with removing UI and I can only imagine how much more immersive experience will be.

We will have to share notes once you get it up and running on Shadow.

Back