Next Generation Thoughts

Are you planning on getting either console within a year of their release?

• Yes - PS5

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Yes - Xbox Series X

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Yes - Both

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
Things are quickly looking like they’ll be pc only for me indefinitely. If I can’t secure a copy of 3D all-stars due to this artificial scarcity, I’m done with Nintendo. The Switch is fine, but to be honest a lot of it has been because of third party devs that don’t want to be censored by Sony or because it may be cheaper to develop for, less competition and reaching more niche audiences.

BotW, good but really it was a souped up WiiU title. A lot of reliance on WiiU rereleases as it is. Odyssey was meh. Kirby had good ideas but was admittedly short. Metroid Prime 4 is pretty unfortunate all around. Animal Crossing I liked but is just not my thing I guess. The only really stand out ones are Smash Bros. for actually listening to fan feedback for once, and Astral Chain which isn’t really Nintendo anyway.

By far the biggest issue was being wushu washy about Virtual Console and what kind of games to expect on it, only to replace it with a very scummy subscription service where they drip feed a far more limited set of games, and only for nes and snes. With this being the case I should have expected the whole idea of a “limited digital stock” to be something Nintendo would come up with. Nonsensical bullshit.

Been waiting for BotW2, and the Hyrule Warriors game looks great too, but on principal I will not buy another Nintendo published product if they can’t meet simple demand for 3 rushed ports that don’t even look like they tried to compete with contemporary rivals in both a Crash and Spyro. I’ll be waiting on No More Heroes 3 but otherwise in the future I’ll likely save a lot on not buying consoles and just get myself something good enough to emulate their games for free.

I'm not a fan on Nintendo. For me they are a company that takes one step forward and two/three steps back. The Switch is a fantastic piece of hardware that still impresses me its form factor and intuition. However, the software side is just so frustrating and as I mentioned before, my Switch is used more by my son to watch YouTube. I think part of the problem with Nintendo is that they MAKE money on each console sold so the pressure to have good games on the system is non existent. Examples of my frustration:

Mario Kart 8 - Good game but why don't they allow you to customise the number of laps? Why is Rainbow Road a severely watered down version of the epic N64 track?

Pokemon - For the love of God, why not just release a revamped version of Red/Blue? I'm part of the generation that purchased this game and have no clue about the Pokemon beyond 151 (who mostly look terrible).

3D All Stars - Why isn't this game a remaster? How hard would it have been to make the game using the current Mario engine? Stupid cash crab.

Nintendo Store - £50 for Bomberman or Mario Tennis? Get the fuck out of here. The entire things looks worse than the Google Play store and is filled with mobile crap.

Where are the games? - For my Switch I have: Mario Odyssey (most overrated game this generation), Zelda (Wii U port), Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, Sonic and Cuphead. Almost 3 years of ownership and 6 games played.

I'm not a fan on Nintendo. For me they are a company that takes one step forward and two/three steps back. The Switch is a fantastic piece of hardware that still impresses me its form factor and intuition. However, the software side is just so frustrating and as I mentioned before, my Switch is used more by my son to watch YouTube. I think part of the problem with Nintendo is that they MAKE money on each console sold so the pressure to have good games on the system is non existent. Examples of my frustration:

Mario Kart 8 - Good game but why don't they allow you to customise the number of laps? Why is Rainbow Road a severely watered down version of the epic N64 track?

Pokemon - For the love of God, why not just release a revamped version of Red/Blue? I'm part of the generation that purchased this game and have no clue about the Pokemon beyond 151 (who mostly look terrible).

3D All Stars - Why isn't this game a remaster? How hard would it have been to make the game using the current Mario engine? Stupid cash crab.

Nintendo Store - £50 for Bomberman or Mario Tennis? Get the fuck out of here. The entire things looks worse than the Google Play store and is filled with mobile crap.

Where are the games? - For my Switch I have: Mario Odyssey (most overrated game this generation), Zelda (Wii U port), Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, Sonic and Cuphead. Almost 3 years of ownership and 6 games played.

Nintendo is my favorite gaming company hands down. I like how they stay in there lane and don't focus to much on what the competitors are doing. IMO they also have the best 1st party AAA lineup in gaming. With all that out the way I agree with alot of your points regarding Nintendo. Since the days of the N64 Nintendo has always been a company that takes one step forward and ten steps back. The reason Nintendo has been able to do this historically and still cash in is because of their quality 1st party titles. I'll mirror some if your examples and add a few of mine:

Mario Kart 8 is a great game but its a glorified Wii U port. To your point Nintendo has also recycled alot of the courses from previous Mario Kart games. You asked,"Why not let gamers customize laps or why not revamp Rainbow Road." I hate to say this but its true, "If it ain't broke don't fix it." Nintendo doesn't have to go the extra mile with Mario Kart 8 because people love the series and they'll buy it anyways. Mario Kart 8 released in 2014 for Wii U. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has sold 25M+ that we know of so far and the crazy part about it is its selling for $50. Thats only $10 less than retail🤯. The sad thing about it is Mario Kart game that came out in 2014 is still miles ahead of any other Kart racers on the market.

Pokemon is a franchise thats never gonna see much change its a franchise abive criticism. People complained about Pokemon Sword and Sheild so much before its release, why aren't they doing this or that. PS&S hasn't even been out a full year yet and its already sold 18M+. Its easy money.

Mario 3D All Stars, why waste money remastering when you can just port it, clean it up a bit and slap $60 on it and laugh to the bank. It pains me to say that but on day one ill be purchasing 2 copies. These are some of the greatest platforming games ever. This game is gonna sales faster than hotcakes.

Nintendo store is meh. Nintendo online is 🤢. To have a online service like this in 2020 is pathetic. At the very least you could copy your competitors. Alot of people give Nintendo online a pass because its cheap but I would rather spend $50-$60 on a good product instead of cheap on something inferior. Nintendo is only gonna get the wakeup call we the people who grew up with Nintendo are dead and gone. Nintendo is so nostalgic most of us can't let them go that why Nintendo doesn't learn from their mistakes.

I've said it for a while now, but I think Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed is a better game than most new Mario Karts. Hell, CTR was doing things better than Mario Kart even back in the day.

3D All Stars -- you know it's bad when even Activision are doing better remakes than Nintendo. Seriously, Activision gave us what? Three Crash Bandicoot games remastered from the ground up. Three Spyro games remastered from the ground up. Two Tony Hawk games remastered from the ground up. But all Nintendo can give us for Mario's 35th anniversary are three lousy roms emulated? They couldn't do anything special for Mario 64 at the very least? Hell, even that Saints Row The Third remaster did more work updating the game than Nintendo did with this package.

Their network infuriates me as a whole. They are so far behind the other two it isn't funny. Want to play with a friend? Good luck jumping through the hoops they put up. They might as well at this point just give up and let Microsoft come in and give them a branch of Xbox Live to act as their internet solution.

In short, as much as I like Nintendo, this company gets away with a lot of shit because so many people are willing to give them a pass because of nostalgia. I don't say this as a Nintendo hater, I just think they get way too much praise for at times being very lazy. The 3D All Stars collection says it all. They don't have to put the work or money in because they know their fanbase will buy it without question. I just don't like that same fanbase always giving that company a pass while shitting on other companies.

Nintendo is famous for this kind of remasters, like when we had an Ocarina of time for almost each generation one way or another until the wii u. It is a smart move for them people buy almost whatever nintendo puts them on the table:

Like their internet ecosystem is trash or how the link between world was a mediocre zelda but everybody was giving it a score of 9 to 10...

In short, as much as I like Nintendo, this company gets away with a lot of shit because so many people are willing to give them a pass because of nostalgia. I don't say this as a Nintendo hater, I just think they get way too much praise for at times being very lazy. The 3D All Stars collection says it all. They don't have to put the work or money in because they know their fanbase will buy it without question. I just don't like that same fanbase always giving that company a pass while shitting on other companies.

This is the epitome of what I've been saying about Ninty for almost 20 years; you knocked it out of the park.

- I chose the PS4 copy (I wanted an actual game, not a fucking app launcher)

- I have no PlayStation whatsoever.

- I'm not really that interested in playing it anyway.

I don't know what it is exactly but I find a lot of these game trailers during these streams to be very bland. The Final Fantasy trailer voice acting seemed off and out of sync. Looks interesting but an observation nonetheless.

Back