General RGG Discussion

Hey @Truck_1_0_1_ , sorry if I couldn't reply to you earlier, I went to bed, as it was 10pm at the time of your reply here in my town.
My thoughts on 3 were exactly how I pictured it: rich with content and side missions, but most importantly: superb writing and action packed gameplay. I had some trouble battling Tsuyoshi Kanda, though. The dude's a major hothead with superhuman strength, not to mention the way he pulled those mouth of truth replicas out of the wall and nearly crushed me with them. Lau Ka was another pain in the ass, as he armed himself with so many Chinese or Chinese-esque weapons, showing just how determined he is to bring me down. The final scene nearly brought me to tears as well, as I got concrete evidence on just how altruistic Kiryu-san is; strangely enough Rikiya gets magically revived in the Premium Adventure mode, and you can use him as a bodyguard forever on.
Since I'm already here, I might do a review on 4 as well. The formula is the same, but getting to play as four different characters really ups the ante and gives us an insight into their lives. Masayoshi Tanimura really stands out as the most ironic character of the four, since he's a police officer in a game where his organization literally puts 100 knives into his back just for the sake of selfish monetary gains. Tsk-tsk Munakata-san.
As for the minigames: as a western fan of the franchise, I had absolutely no clue on how to play games, such as mahjong and shogi. Therefore, Google-sensei and Youtube-senpai are your only hope of mastering the former and the latter.
I'll revisit the thread once I finish 5 as well, until then thank you for your kind words, wear a mask and stay healthy everyone!

Yeah, comparing it to GTA is not really appropriate, they only share superficial stuff like themes of modern organized crime and having minigames.

Yakuza core loop has always been a jrpg. It is probably the reason I could enjoy each installment while on the other hand I stopped on the GTA series after vice city, the open world mechanics are not really my thing.

Toshihiro Nagoshi interview about the Yakuza series
(no story spoilers)

- Yakuza 1 was rejected two times by old Sega, the project only got the green light because of Sega Sammy
(so it was pure luck)
- Toshihiro thought about a new game made for everyone (old, young, female, male)
but they came to the conclusion that this is something that Nintendo can / would do and they should focus on something smaller (so they reduced the target audience to adult male)
- he was scared of being fired because the sales number forecast was very bad
- he never wants the games difficulty to be too hard because one of the main target audiences are adult men who dont really play videogames and he still wants them to enjoy the game and let them experience the full story
- the 2019 RPG April fools videos content was only produced for this one video, they actually werent sure if they should do it but they decided to do it because of the positive video feedback
- they are thinking about how to expand the series / whats happening next, if they should focus on more story movie experiences or if they can / should do multiplayer content, but the teams mission is always to make a console game
(so its probably not some MMORPG or simulation were you need 50 buttons)

I do find the whole thing where side content is shoved into the main quest kind of annoying. It’s clearly filler. I think the most awful one I remember was doing this whole dojo thing with Saejima in 4 when trying to evade police.

That all said, it seems doing the stuff with Eri is worth it. Well into chapter 7 so far and it’s helped out quite a bit.

Sega will celebrate the 15th anniversary of the Yakuza series in Japan with a massive 151.5 hour-long gameplay stream.
It will run from December 2, 2020, at 13:00 to December 8, 2020, at 20:30. All times listed here are JST (UTC+9).

During most of the stream duration, the series developers and other related staff members will try to finish every numbered mainline Yakuza beat-em-up action-adventure game released on the PlayStation 4, from Yakuza Kiwami all the way to Yakuza 6: The Song of Life. Special guests are also expected to appear on the stream
every time the clock hits 20:00 in Japan.

The celebration will culminate with another live stream on December 8, 2020—the day the Yakuza series marks its 15th anniversary—at 20:00 JST. Japanese voice actors Takaya Kuroda and Kazuhiro Nakaya, who voiced the series protagonists Kazuma Kiryu and Ichiban Kasuga, respectively, will also be present at this stream as guests. The series’ general director Toshihiro Nagoshi, studio representative and producer Daisuke Sato, and chief producer Masayoshi Yokoyama will look back at the history of Yakuza before revealing future plans for the popular series.

pogchamp.png

Sega will celebrate the 15th anniversary of the Yakuza series in Japan with a massive 151.5 hour-long gameplay stream.
It will run from December 2, 2020, at 13:00 to December 8, 2020, at 20:30. All times listed here are JST (UTC+9).

During most of the stream duration, the series developers and other related staff members will try to finish every numbered mainline Yakuza beat-em-up action-adventure game released on the PlayStation 4, from Yakuza Kiwami all the way to Yakuza 6: The Song of Life. Special guests are also expected to appear on the stream
every time the clock hits 20:00 in Japan.

The celebration will culminate with another live stream on December 8, 2020—the day the Yakuza series marks its 15th anniversary—at 20:00 JST. Japanese voice actors Takaya Kuroda and Kazuhiro Nakaya, who voiced the series protagonists Kazuma Kiryu and Ichiban Kasuga, respectively, will also be present at this stream as guests. The series’ general director Toshihiro Nagoshi, studio representative and producer Daisuke Sato, and chief producer Masayoshi Yokoyama will look back at the history of Yakuza before revealing future plans for the popular series.

View attachment 9694

:D:D:D:D:D SQUEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just sat through that whole 20-minute introduction of Eri in Y7 and I have no idea what the fuck is going on. I love the series dearly, but MAN do these bullshit semi-animated cutscenes get old.

Damnit, now I have the menu music for the minigame, stuck in my head lol

For Namba:

Just wait and see; you're almost there now. He's also borderline useless for the endgame/latter 1/3 game for battles; you're better off with one of the chicks or Joon-Gi.

For Joon-Gi:

It isn't him; much like there are successors to positions or places in government, he is just the current incarnation of Joon-Gi; it's not really a huge spoiler, but they elaborate on it in-game, why he looks like him and the like. You'll also notice that his personality is 100% different than the first one, which explains their explanation of his character lol

For the other part of your spoiler:

You'll find out! lol All I can say is that it wasn't faked ;)

Wow Joon-Gi is badass. I'm stunned that he's a playable character. Absolutely is staying in my party.

As for Joon-Gi being back, him being the body double in this one was the logical route. When he was initially revealed, I was perplexed at how they were going to write around the bullet he took in the head last game.

Which begs the thought; the developers must've really banged their heads for killing off Joon-Gi considering the lengths they went through to even include a body double. Especially when you consider Seong-hui would equally just be as badass a character to have in the party. Can't complain though, always liked Joon-Gi so I'm glad at his inclusion, body double not withstanding.

Last edited:
Wow Joon-Gi is badass. I'm stunned that he's a playable character. Absolutely is staying in my party.

As for Joon-Gi being back, him being the body double in this one was the logical route. When he was initially revealed, I was perplexed at how they were going to write around the bullet he took in the head last game.

Which begs the thought; the developers must've really banged their heads for killing off Joon-Gi considering the lengths they went through to even include a body double. Especially when you consider Seong-hui would equally just be as badass a character to have in the party. Can't complain though, always liked Joon-Gi so I'm glad at his inclusion, body double not withstanding.
LOVE Seong-Hui; while she'll never be up to Xiuying's level, she's another Xiuying; strong, gorgeous, an ace at everything and a great leader. Just doesn't have the depth that our beloved Lishao Tao has.

She also has Poison-esque hair, which is my favourite hair colour/style on a chick.

And yes, that's why character-wise, he's absolutely NOTHING like the old Joon-Gi; much quieter, less-flamboyant, more serious, etc., etc.

I’m only at the start of chapter 8 so I don’t know everything just yet, but so far I don’t dislike Nanba yet(at least as a character), much less fond of how childish both Joon and Seong seem to be, but maybe it’ll turn around for me...I don’t think I really feel the Xiuing comparison when she had no crazy evil plot lol. Even so, I do wish she was a party character too. Guess I’ll see how Joon will play soon enough. But after finishing all the Ichiban management stuff I’m now grinding out jobs and spending on better armor and weapons. Also think I found most of the cats. Tried going back to the dungeon and being lower than level 25 seems bad for it.

I could see Seong-Hui being a character in the sequel. For the most part, I expect at least Ichi and Saeko to be back. Nanba and Adachi pretty much served their roles, so if they don't come back for a sequel, I would have no issue with it. But I guess they could have minimal roles. Nanba really has little to no reason to be homeless...unless he chooses to. Adachi would probably be busy as a hero of the Kanagawa police force in taking down Marunouchi.

I'd like to see how Daigo and Aizawa do with their security company in Osaka. Majima and Saejima going there should be good for them, I guess. I could see this security company serving a role in a sequel to Judgment. At this point, IMHO, I think a sequel to Judgment makes sense first. I'd like to see how Yagami deals with the fallout of the Tojo Kai and how he and Kaito (and maybe other former members of the Matsugane-gumi?) deal with the remaining members of the Tokyo Omi.

I’m only at the start of chapter 8 so I don’t know everything just yet, but so far I don’t dislike Nanba yet(at least as a character), much less fond of how childish both Joon and Seong seem to be, but maybe it’ll turn around for me...I don’t think I really feel the Xiuing comparison when she had no crazy evil plot lol. Even so, I do wish she was a party character too. Guess I’ll see how Joon will play soon enough. But after finishing all the Ichiban management stuff I’m now grinding out jobs and spending on better armor and weapons. Also think I found most of the cats. Tried going back to the dungeon and being lower than level 25 seems bad for it.
You're right, I was just referring to the framework of her character; tough, leader of a group, an ace, good-looking, all things they share in common. But Xiuying is miles ahead of her in terms of character development, motives, etc.: I would NEVER consider her to be, "one of the greatest characters Sega has ever made," like I do with Xiuying; she wouldn't be close.

Joon-Gi plays VERY well; once he gets his multiple hit attack, he becomes the second best option against the homeless/cavemen, when farming XP in the underground (after Eri, as mentioned above).

I could see Seong-Hui being a character in the sequel. For the most part, I expect at least Ichi and Saeko to be back. Nanba and Adachi pretty much served their roles, so if they don't come back for a sequel, I would have no issue with it. But I guess they could have minimal roles. Nanba really has little to no reason to be homeless...unless he chooses to. Adachi would probably be busy as a hero of the Kanagawa police force in taking down Marunouchi.

I'd like to see how Daigo and Aizawa do with their security company in Osaka. Majima and Saejima going there should be good for them, I guess. I could see this security company serving a role in a sequel to Judgment. At this point, IMHO, I think a sequel to Judgment makes sense first. I'd like to see how Yagami deals with the fallout of the Tojo Kai and how he and Kaito (and maybe other former members of the Matsugane-gumi?) deal with the remaining members of the Tokyo Omi.

Don't you mean Watase?

Got a question for @RyoHazuki84: since you're based in Yokohama, the city that plays the central role in Y7/Like a dragon, how do you personally feel about Nagoshi-san's picturing of the Yakuza universe version of your city?

Yeah, i think the problem in the daylight is that you can see missing details, at least in the console version.
Like the bicycles, advertising signs and these smaller things dont have any real shadows
and there is no real ambient occlusion indoors for example. It can look a bit weird when there are dozens of tables
and other stuff but the ground beneath the items has exactly the same brightness as everything else.
The lighting doesnt affect these items at all.
The bright lighting can look a little too simple depending on the area.
In the night time all these things are concealed because there is no sunlight.

It still looks good overall, like a 8/10
but they could easily push the quality with more and correct shadows, ambient occlusion in shops,
high resolution textures for surfaces (buildings, streets etc).
Its not even a super big step, it would just make it look less "videogamey".
That would be my request for the next (console) game.

I think overall Y7 falls a bit short graphically compared to other Dragon Engine games. I noticed it immediately when I started the game, and in some spots I actually thought it looked visually similar to Y0 or Kiwami. It’s really odd. I’m playing this back to back with Judgement, and the differences are made even more apparent. Y7 isn’t a bad looking game by any means, but to me it’s just a bit surprising considering it’s the latest in the series. I’m guessing it is just the size of the environments coupled with the fact you have your party running around with you all the time.

I think i'm very stupid. I didnt understand that management game with Eri at all.
I mean i understand the goal, upgrading the stores, finding the correct staff members and so on
but what the hell was that shareholders' meeting about?
The tutorial was like watch for the hp bar and answer as quick as possible and counter this and use skills here,
yeah okay,
but what am i doing in the actual gameplay? How do i know which staff member should answer what question,
why are there target signs on my members, what about the colors?
I couldnt even read the sentence or question.
This was all so fast, i had no idea what i'm even looking at.

notlikethis.png

Back