General RGG Discussion

I found four golden plates randomly while i was "farming" vending machines,
so money was only a real problem in the first 6 hours
but the fights were super easy so i didnt need the restaurants or shops
(i stayed away from all the high level districts)

It was pretty cool when i had more money after these 6 hours
because i visited some random restaurant and ordered some kind of sweet dessert
and suddenly there was a extra restaurant dialogue with Adachi about his food ritual.
I love this kind of stuff.

I'm 22 hours in (character level 16, job level 8)
and i still didnt visit all of the districts and i still only have 2 other party members.
I did all of the can recycling (all rang S + highest level), all movies A or S, now i'm in the batting center
and also farming points for the party member missions. Then theres the quiz stuff, Ichibans attributes
and the whole job system (i dont have access to that yet).
I have already so many things to do in the game but at the same time it seems like the game hasnt even really started yet.

There are well over 20 of the, "Gourmet Talk," scenes (according to the new trophy, they are now called, "Table Talk)," so expect a lot more!

And they involve all party members, so there's a lot to see ;)

And yeah, you don't want to go to the new districts just yet; have to be a bit more-leveled than what you are now ;)

Nice to hear there’s more stuff involving the other party members. Have done a handful of substories that seem to only have Ichiban interacting with npcs, but they have all been early on, so I kinda hope the later ones involve them more. It’s not really a direct comparison or anything so not exactly fair but one thing I enjoyed a lot about Nier and Nier Automata is most of your group would have voiced banter about nearly every sidequest.

And yeah, you don't want to go to the new districts just yet; have to be a bit more-leveled than what you are now ;)

Yeah, all level 17 now and i thought i could check out the side mission all the way in the north
before starting the next main mission. Suddenly i encountered a whole group of level 26 enemies,
i immediately pushed the escape button with every character and luckily it worked. 🥵

So instead i did the main story mission. I dont want to spoiler anything main story related so i will just say
it was nice hearing Isshin Ashina from Sekiro again :D

I don’t know exactly what happened, but I’m very much enjoying Y7 now. What a difference a day makes, I guess. I really dig the characters, and Ichiban makes me smile just looking at him. Still not crazy about the turn-based stuff, but every time Dragon Quest gets mentioned, I really just laugh out loud. Seeing these RPG elements in a modern-day crime story is so absurd. It’s like watching a feature-length Chappelle Show skit.

I finally got Psycho in my party. It’s not exactly all powerbombs and clothesliners and suplexes but it’s close as we may get to the mod in 5 that let Haruka beat everyone up. Now to grind for more gear.

The first couple chapters made Ichiban feel like a blatant amalgamation of Kiryu, Majima and Akiyama. However, this game really picked up for me once Ichiban builds his party starting with Nanba. The camaraderie is infectious and I'm already a big fan Saeko and Nanba.
Not spoiling, but Namba is a complete POS. **** him :mad:

Adachi is where it's at! :D

Chapter 5, character level 19, 19, 19, 17
job rang 10, 10, 10, 8

didnt even start the first story mission in this chapter, i'm farming points and grinding enemies
for the part time hero app.

Playtime 34 hours. Didnt use any kind of fast travel at all so far.

Not spoiling, but Namba is a complete POS. **** him :mad:

Adachi is where it's at! :D

Oh no. Don't tell me this. Not sweet Nanba.

So I'm only at Chapter 6, but what a huge lowkey revelation the bartender is at the hangout bar. Unless its another twin like Kazama's in Y3, the scar is a dead giveaway that Kashiwagi essentially pulled a Kiryu and faked his death. And speaking of faking deaths, WTF Joon Gi Han is alive?!

Oh no. Don't tell me this. Not sweet Nanba.

So I'm only at Chapter 6, but what a huge lowkey revelation the bartender is at the hangout bar. Unless its another twin like Kazama's in Y3, the scar is a dead giveaway that Kashiwagi essentially pulled a Kiryu and faked his death. And speaking of faking deaths, WTF Joon Gi Han is alive?!
For Namba:

Just wait and see; you're almost there now. He's also borderline useless for the endgame/latter 1/3 game for battles; you're better off with one of the chicks or Joon-Gi.

For Joon-Gi:

It isn't him; much like there are successors to positions or places in government, he is just the current incarnation of Joon-Gi; it's not really a huge spoiler, but they elaborate on it in-game, why he looks like him and the like. You'll also notice that his personality is 100% different than the first one, which explains their explanation of his character lol

For the other part of your spoiler:

You'll find out! lol All I can say is that it wasn't faked ;)

Holy hell, how many part time hero stuff is there?
I did nothing else in the past two days (2x 4-5 hours) than looking for the missing people,
getting points for the insects and electronic parts, grinding enemies to get the 10 specific enemy types,
looking for all the different kinds of food, and not just one mission of each,
i did like 4, 5, 6 of the follow-up jobs too
and now it says i finished about 23% and 14% of all jobs.
That seems like the typical Yakuza side content overkill 😵

Seems like there’s definitely a lot, they went all out with this one. Granted, I never got close to 100%ing any of the others, though it feels like I really tried with 6 - somehow I only ever did less than 20 substories there but I’ll be damned if I can find anymore. Comparatively speaking, they are just dropping like candy in this game, and while a few have felt a little generic, for the most part they’ve been enjoyable. And that’s aside from the mini games which feel like they’ve got more effort put into them than usual.

Finally got to switch jobs, and I kind of didn’t realize I’d have to spend on other categories of weapons so I’m kind of weak again. That and I didn’t really think about which ones would work well together beyond how cool they looked. Put Ichiban in the host class for Kiryu colors, Nanba as a musician because he just gives me discount John Lennon vibes, Saeko as an idol just because(would have preferred night queen but not available yet), and lastly I thought Adachi looked pretty stylish as a bodyguard in a pinstriped suit with specs. Namba went from weakest to strongest since I just happened to have a strong guitar. I guess I could just change them but I figure I’ll try to grind out everything as it is, given my history with jobs in other RPGs.

Some part of it just makes me think of a game like Earthbound. I mean, Persona is one that isn’t your typical fantasy RPG, and is probably closer in themes and with Yakuza being a bit more grounded, but there’s just something similar in the way in that it reimagines tropes like magic and summons and the like that I just really enjoy and hope other devs are inspired by. Turn based is not outdated anymore so than action. It’s too bad devs like Square don’t understand that, but now I think the Yakuza team destroys them at both tbh.

That all said, I’m a little less than 20 hours in(and some of that is leaving it paused while eating or taking breaks for other stuff), and still only on chapter 5, so I’ll have to see how the rest goes, but I doubt there’s much from here on that can spur my experience as a whole. As much as I loved both Deadly Premonition 2 and Maneater, it’s likely my game of the year.

She's arguably the best party member, after Ichiban; if you're farming XP, you need both of them in your party at minimum (well, Ichiban can't come out lol). Her lucky punch is one of 3 moves that is effective against the cavemen/homeless guys and the list of jobs she can do make her the most well-rounded character.

From the moment she was in my party, she never left.

Eri was handpicked out of random people to be in the game:

A lot of people complain about the fact that the Yakuza series are "japanese knock-off" versions of GTA, but they are in fact better in several aspects when compared. The most obvious one is the fact that you cannot go on a brainless rampage and murder everyone you see walking past you, as the characters actually have a moral code that needs to be fulfilled. With the exception of Yakuza 5 and 7, there aren't any motorized vehicles you can use, as the areas are tightly populated, and you certainly cannot steal any of them, they're basically just environmental props. Then, my most favorite part are the side-missions and side content, which is known to be very rich (darts, billiard, mahjong, restaurants, coliseum fights, etc.), but what really turns me on is the strong morality of every character, as well as the superb story writing, that leaves you in tears.

I just recently finished 3 and 4 remastered on my PS4 and I'm about to go for 5, and so far I can say that Nagoshi-san and Sega have really outdone themselves. The most recent installment with Ichiban is also very promising, and even though there were people sceptical about the whole JRPG mechanic, the latter ended up refreshing the franchise, as they probably grew tired of the same street fight formula.
But yeah, pro tips for new players: depending on the game, you'll need to keep grinding for cash and items via street fights. If you're playing 0, steer clear of Mr. Shakedown, and do not rush, there are Virtua fighter arcades to be played.

Superb post, Shansun; I like to see others that get the same enjoyment out of the series as I do :D.

Only one thing that I disagree on; you ABSOLUTELY want to go for Mr. Shakedown on 0. As much as possible.

Just go with a few Tauriners (which are a pittance), arm yourself with a bat (if Kiryu) or Slugger-style (if Majima) and use standing up heat action, two ground attacks, repeat (if not in heat after the ground attacks, use a Tauriner): you'll never need money again, after repeating this 5-10 times or so, against each guy (that's 20-40 overall fights; you'll be good after that).

What were your thoughts on 3, if I may ask, @Shansun95?

I enjoy Yakuza more thoroughly, but I don’t think it can really be compared to GTA to begin with...I like characters like Kiryu but I can also enjoy those like Trevor or CJ, or both the boss or Gat from Saints Row 2, who aren’t necessarily the most mature people. There’s room for both civilized mafiosos and deranged genociders.

Back