Shenmue I Re-Release 16:9 Cutscenes Fix

Shenmue I & II V1.01 16:9 Widescreen Fix

This is a one-click auto fixer for Shenmue I & II V1.01 based on the new hack by @Esppiral, with this hack the UI and subtitles are displayed correctly in widescreen.

w6fvX99.png

mjVDTZG.png

Demo:

Instructions:
  • Download Cheat Engine and install it, get the latest version from cheatengine.org.
  • Download the zip file from this link and extract it.
  • Run the appropriate fixer for Shenmue or Shenmue II.
  • Run Shenmue or Shenmue II and open the start menu.
  • Click the fix button on the start menu, the fixer will automatically do its work and close.
  • Enjoy Shenmue & Shenmue II in 16:9 widescreen with proper UI and subtitles.

Shenmue I & II V1.01 Widescreen Hex Fix (permanent)

This is a permanent auto fixer for Shenmue I & II V1.01 based on the new hack by @Esppiral, with this hack the UI and subtitles are displayed correctly in widescreen.
  • Download the zip file from this link.
  • Extract it to the folder where Shenmue.exe / Shenmue2.exe file is.
  • Run PatchSM1.bat to fix Shenmue.exe / PatchSM2.bat to fix Shenmue2.exe as administrator (Right click -> Run as administrator) and the patch will backup the original Shenmue.exe / Shenmue2.exe and apply the fix.

Note: The fixers will only work with V1.01.

First things first, thanks a lot for your hard work guys !

I'm having problems with both solutions (but I think the permanent hack is being blocked by my antivirus so that's on me), the first solution gave me this :
(EDIT : I forgot to mention that I use CE 6.8.1)
1535387726113.png

The second solution (permanent fix) just remove the original Shenmue.exe and just leaves the Shenmue_o.exe. I tried to deactivate BitDefender but it still happen...

I'm having problems with both solutions (but I think the permanent hack is being blocked by my antivirus so that's on me), the first solution gave me this :
View attachment 934

The second solution (permanent fix) just remove the original Shenmue.exe and just leaves the Shenmue_o.exe. I tried to deactivate BitDefender but it still happen...
The issue about the Cheat Engine patch is pretty self-explanatory, but since you have the latest version, it makes no sense.
Is it possible that you have more than one version of Cheat Engine installed in parallel? Try uninstalling any Cheat Engine version (restart to be on the safe-side) and resintall the latest version again. Also, is it possible that your system OS is 32-bit? What's your OS exactly? Otherwise I have no clue why the error. Maybe @masterchan777 knows why that would be the case.

The second solution you mention, which I think was also one of the early permanent fixes released by @masterchan777, probably fails due to your AV as you suspect. Try disabling your AV before applying the patch or creating exceptions. Btw, on WIndows 10 (recent version), Windows Defender AV tends to get automatically activated when you disable your primary AV, make sure that's not the case here.

I will also point out that I released my own permanent patcher a couple days ago which is structured differently than @masterchan777 's and may or may not give better results when faced with your security solution: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?posts/10013/

Last edited:

View attachment 934

just like @ner0 said, you may need to uninstall the earlier versions of Cheat Engine and reinstall the latest version for the first solution to work properly. As for the second solution, you'll need to rename Shenmue_o.exe back as Shenmue.exe (this is backup of the original) before trying it again, it shouldn't cause any issues with Bitdefender or Windows Defender but depending on your settings it's better to temporarily disable them if they're preventing the patching process. My permanent solution is very similar to the one created by @ner0 but with a more minimalistic approach so you can try his patch and you will end up with the same result.

Shenmue I & II V1.01 16:9 Widescreen Fix

This is a one-click auto fixer for Shenmue I & II V1.01 based on the new hack by @Esppiral, with this hack the UI and subtitles are displayed correctly in widescreen.

w6fvX99.png

mjVDTZG.png

Demo:

Instructions:
  • Download Cheat Engine and install it, get the latest version from cheatengine.org.
  • Download the zip file from this link and extract it.
  • Run the appropriate fixer for Shenmue or Shenmue II.
  • Run Shenmue or Shenmue II and open the start menu.
  • Click the fix button on the start menu, the fixer will automatically do its work and close.
  • Enjoy Shenmue & Shenmue II in 16:9 widescreen with proper UI and subtitles.

Shenmue I & II V1.01 Widescreen Hex Fix (permanent)

This is a permanent auto fixer for Shenmue I & II V1.01 based on the new hack by @Esppiral, with this hack the UI and subtitles are displayed correctly in widescreen.
  • Download the zip file from this link.
  • Extract it to the folder where Shenmue.exe / Shenmue2.exe file is.
  • Run PatchSM1.bat to fix Shenmue.exe / PatchSM2.bat to fix Shenmue2.exe as administrator (Right click -> Run as administrator) and the patch will backup the original Shenmue.exe / Shenmue2.exe and apply the fix.

Note: The fixers will only work with V1.01.
Permanent fix is broken

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    35.2 KB · Views: 23
Permanent fix is broken
It looks like you didn't extract the zip file into where Shenmue.exe / Shenmue2.exe files are located on your HDD. You need to extract the zip file twice into two different folders (one time for Shenmue.exe and again for Shenmue2.exe) that's why you got the error. The posted instructions need to be followed for the fixer to work properly.

It looks like you didn't extract the zip file into where Shenmue.exe / Shenmue2.exe files are located on your HDD. You need to extract the zip file twice into two different folders (one time for Shenmue.exe and again for Shenmue2.exe) that's why you got the error. The posted instructions need to be followed for the fixer to work properly.
I did do that

@masterchan777
Assuming that @Tealmann did follow the instructions correctly, which he says he did, maybe the issue has to do with the fact that your script(s) don't account for the possibility that the game may be installed in a drive other than the same as the OS. Looking at your script, when you CD into the current working folder, the shell disregards the drive letter and ends up staying within the default system drive (C being the norm, but not necessarily).

Instead of just:
Code:
CD %DIRNAME%
You should use the '/D' flag to also change into the drive letter, example:
Code:
CD /D %DIRNAME%

@masterchan777
Assuming that @Tealmann did follow the instructions correctly, which he says he did, maybe the issue has to do with the fact that your script(s) don't account for the possibility that the game may be installed in a drive other than the same as the OS.
Hmm, not sure that's it. My Steam library is on my D:\ drive and it worked just fine for me.

Hmm, not sure that's it. My Steam library is on my D:\ drive and it worked just fine for me.
Maybe, but did you run it as administrator though?
I just tried it myself, copying just the executable to a folder onto a drive with the letter I, ran as administrator as instructed and got the exact same error as @Tealmann. Then I edited the script to include the '/D' flag, and then it worked just fine.

From personal experience, when running a shell as an administrator, the environment starts from System32 by default (typically 'C:\Windows\System32'), if you do this and then try to change the environment directory ('CD') to a folder located in a different drive it fails because it never actually changed the current environment's directory, hence the usage of the '/D' flag. I am puzzled why it would not work on the D drive in non-admin though, admin is only needed when your files are located on a protected space, which is usually the case with the default Steam location in 'Program Files' or 'Program Files (x86)'.

I've completely rebuilt the permanent patchers to have a visual UI so bat files are now history.

mbee13y.png

FYqEip9.png

Instructions :
  • Download the zip from this link, extract it to any folder.
  • Run Shenmue.v1.01-hexfix.exe / Shenmue2.v1.01-hexfix.exe and click Patch.
  • Choose Shenmue.exe / Shenmue2.exe on your HDD.
  • Done.

Last edited:
Has anyone got a 21:9 fix for Shenmue 2 ive tried ner0's and the file is patched however everything related to the UI is repeated
Shenmue2.png

If it was just a cosmetic issue I wouldn't mind but it renders the game unplayable because I cant see what to press during conversations or when operating machines.

Shenmue 1 had the exact same issue and the hex edit for 16:9 or 21:9 both fixed the issue but the same value seems to do nothing with Shenmue 2.

Id really love to play this game in ultrawide resolution.

Has anyone got a 21:9 fix for Shenmue 2 ive tried ner0's and the file is patched however everything related to the UI is repeated
Shenmue2.png

If it was just a cosmetic issue I wouldn't mind but it renders the game unplayable because I cant see what to press during conversations or when operating machines.

Shenmue 1 had the exact same issue and the hex edit for 16:9 or 21:9 both fixed the issue but the same value seems to do nothing with Shenmue 2.

Id really love to play this game in ultrawide resolution.
Unfortunately I can't try that resolution, my screens can't do more than 1080p, and I think that all the current fixes for widescreen accomplish the same patching result, but then again try @masterchan777's patch(es) from this link: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/i...ease-16-9-cutscenes-fix.358/page-6#post-10047

Since both @masterchan777's patches and mine are based on @Esppiral's findings, he is the best person to give insight into what may or not be possible in this particular case. I'll make sure to keep an eye out on this conversation and update my patch accordingly in case there is a specific 21:9 fix for Shenmue II that may have slipped my attention.

By the way, reading back on this topic I got the impression that you had this working fine on 21:9.
this also fixes the issue on 21:9 monitors where the GUI is invisible and at the main screen the video is repeated.

It was unplayable on 21:9 without a hex edit
Was it just for Shenmue I?

Last edited:
Shenmue I & II 16:9 Generic Hex Fix

rk9JkrX.png

O308Nk5.png

This is an updated version of my previous permanent patchers and they're now:
  • Compatible with v1.00 and v1.01.
  • Shenmue.exe / Shenmue2.exe are automatically located if installed into the default Steam location.
  • Rebuilt to be more futureproof which should be compatible with the upcoming v1.02 and beyond.
Instructions :
  • Download the zip from this link, extract it to any folder.
  • Run Shenmue-GHexFix.exe / Shenmue2-GHexFix.exe and click Patch.
  • Locate Shenmue.exe / Shenmue2.exe if asked to.
  • Done.
Edit: This version is compatible with Shenmue v1.00 and V1.01 / Shenmue 2 v1.00, 1.01 and v2.00. an updated v2 is now available here.

Last edited:
With the passion and dedication from guys like you so early on, I'm confident that the final modded versions of Shenmue HD are destined to become a thing of wonder. Imagine how the games will be a year from now. Beyond excellent work!

If we use @Esppiral's Shenmue II widescreen method we get 21:9 cutcenes, and it looks great (I like it a lot myself), but I couldn't stop thinking how it would look in fullscreen, without horizontal black bars, and well... you decide:

Find pattern.: CC CC CC CC CC CC CC C7 01 00 00 00 00
Replace with: CC CC CC CC CC CC CC C7 01 01 00 00 00

As you can see there's only one byte that changes here.
I haven't really tested this, I'll leave that up to you guys; this is more of a proof of concept than anything else, some people might appreciate it. Also, there's still the font position issue, by this I mean the position where the text still hangs above where the typical edge would be if the black bars were present. Haven't looked into it yet, but shouldn't be too complicated.

Note: I'm pretty sure this hack hasn't been done before (publicly), but if it has then I apologize for the redundancy.

Back