General RGG Discussion

I almost totally forgot this comes out tomorrow. Haven’t seen anything about a free upgrade, so looks like I’m double-dipping here.
I think they've already said they ain't offering that for Judgement. Shame....don't think I'll bother double dipping.

I really really really hope that with all these old / new / ongoing rumours about Microsoft
seeking out japanese studios, Microsoft 'buying Sega', Microsoft having tons of surprising unannounced deals and so on ...
that Microsoft doesnt have some kind of exclusive deal with Judgment 2.
Like Judgment 2 will get a worldwide simultaneously release but only on Xbox and PC
(time exclusive for 3-12 months or whatever)
That would be so bad

I really really really hope that with all these old / new / ongoing rumours about Microsoft
seeking out japanese studios, Microsoft 'buying Sega', Microsoft having tons of surprising unannounced deals and so on ...
Like Judgment 2 will get a worldwide simultaneously release but only on Xbox and PC
That would be so bad
I keep waiting for that rumor to die and it's kind of scaring me that no one will put the nail in its coffin already.

That would be so bad
So its alright when its a PS4-PS5 exclusive game but its bad when its Xbox and PC?

So its alright when its a PS4-PS5 exclusive game but its bad when its Xbox and PC?
Well the game started with Playstation, it was as japanese series on a japanese console,
made for adult japanese gamers. This whole thing was almost always a exclusive Playstation series,
thats where the 'hardcore fans' are from. With the new hype from the west
starting with Yakuza 0 and 6 and then the multi lang release for Judgment,
Sega seemed to be very happy with the sales numbers. And those numbers were all from the PS community.
The western PS community didnt disappoint and the ongoing hype was built on that.

So yes, in this scenario it would be bad if they are going to stab the PS in the back
because this whole foundation of the series was built on Playstation.
If Microsoft simply buys the right to exclude or delay a Playstation release,
its pretty much kicking all of the oldschool core fans right into the balls for no reason.

If Microsoft wants to get something like Shenmue / Yakuza / Judgment,
how about they start using their 138138053219562965293457 USD to create a new IP
instead of buying into a existing series?
You cant tell me that something like Judgment 2 or Yakuza 8 only exists because of Microsoft,
all of the titles before were created without Microsoft. So i wont accept that as a reason.

Maybe I shouldn't speak for Tosh, but I also don't think anyone is advocating for exclusivity either way here. The games are multiplat on everything now (except LMAOnintendo 🙈🙈🙈), so why ruin a good thing? My main concern at least is Sega losing their independence rather than not being able to play the games anymore.

I have no problems with multi plat releases, all good
but if we are talking about IPs or series that were always
available on platform X first (exclusive, tim exclusive), then thats just how it is.
You cant be angry about that when it was like that for over 10 years.
Its your decision to support it or not.

As a Playstation only user, i cant be angry that i cant play Halo.
Halo was never available on my platform so its my own decision if i want to
buy the platform or not.

Yakuza or the studio doesnt exist because of Microsoft and it always was a Playstation series
so Microsoft shouldnt be able to throw cash at them just
so that they can claim that they have this awesome japanese series now. Thats bs.

Imagine Microsoft buying the God of War studio
and then the Xbox Twitter account posts something like
'Welcome Kratos, finally you are where you belong"
Thats bs.

Well the game started with Playstation, it was as japanese series on a japanese console,
made for adult japanese gamers.
So people that's not Japanese shouldnt play it? Are we committing a crime right now officer?

This whole thing was almost always a exclusive Playstation series,
thats where the 'hardcore fans' are from.
Well Idk. I didnt check the hardcores tests results around the world, I didnt send mine yet but seeing the good comments from the intertet made by Westerns I'm not sure about that. Here are fans that arent from Japan and I wouldnt doubt to call them "hardcore fans" doesnt matter what country it is. I mean, maybe danielmann it's a Japanese living in Sidney :LOL:
With the new hype from the west
starting with Yakuza 0 and 6 and then the multi lang release for Judgment,
Sega seemed to be very happy with the sales numbers. And those numbers were all from the PS community.
Only PS community? Ah shit, I guess we PC players didnt buy it. In that case, I dont know why they released the entire series in PC. No profit at all. They should be dumb.

So yes, in this scenario it would be bad if they are going to stab the PS in the back
because this whole foundation of the series was built on Playstation.
If Microsoft simply buys the right to exclude or delay a Playstation release,
its pretty much kicking all of the oldschool core fans right into the balls for no reason.
So if thats a stab, you'd agree that Square did exactly the same to Nintendo when they released FFVII in PS1 and not in N64? That maintains till today, they cant play FFVII remake in Switch (actually neither in PC right now). Wasnt that a stab to hardcore japanese fans that played the series in NES and SNES?

If Microsoft wants to get something like Shenmue / Yakuza / Judgment,
how about they start using their 138138053219562965293457 USD to create a new IP
instead of buying into a existing series?
All those titles are from Sega. I'd understand that point to games like God of War or TLOU because they are made by Sony, but this is not the case. If Microsoft or Epic comes to me with a better deal, why they'd say no? Should Yu Suzuki said no to Epic's money?

This sucks? Yeah. Sure. But this happens all the time, since decades ago. I wont complain because it happens right now and when we are talking about a series I can play. I had to emulate MGSIV, Bayonetta 2. PS3 community had to wait years to try Mass effect series.

This is not Kratos going to Microsot. This is a third company making a greater economic deal for them, plus 2 "consoles" galaxy (Xbox and PC). Knowing what happened years back, I wouldnt say general public is doomed for this.

So people that's not Japanese shouldnt play it? Are we committing a crime right now officer?
Thats not the point at all. The point is that its a series that was always made for japanese gamers
on a japanese console. Dozens of titles where available on platforms made by one company
and if you were interested in playingy it, you had no other chance then buying the platform.
So where did the support for all the titles until Yakuza 0 came from?
From Playstation users. Not from PC, not from Xbox. Not a single cent.

Well Idk. I didnt check the hardcores tests results around the world, I didnt send mine yet but seeing the good comments from the intertet made by Westerns I'm not sure about that. Here are fans that arent from Japan and I wouldnt doubt to call them "hardcore fans" doesnt matter what country it is. I mean, maybe danielmann it's a Japanese living in Sidney :LOL:
Again, not the point at all. The hardcore fans were the ones who supported this niche series,
people who imported japanese copies and japanese consoles,
people who had to play with a guide because there was no english version,
people who had to beg Sega to release Yakuza 5 for years,
people who made Youtube videos for 300 viewers,
people who tried to make the series more popular in times were there was no Japan hype.
These people kept the series alive. Sure, Xbox or PC players could have done the same
but it doesnt make any sense to discuss this because the scenario never existed.
The hardcore fans who kept the series alive werent PC or Xbox players
who bought Yakuza 0 one year after release for 10USD or for free on GamePass.
The life support was Playstation.

Only PS community? Ah shit, I guess we PC players didnt buy it. In that case, I dont know why they released the entire series in PC. No profit at all. They should be dumb.
Not the point. The point is that Playstation was the main platform for over 10 years
which means that the core fans always knew that this series is a Playstation series.
Every other platform is or should be a bonus on top and not the other way around.
Imagine Yakuza being exclusive to Xbox One in 2014 or whatever,
the series would have probably died.

So if thats a stab, you'd agree that Square did exactly the same to Nintendo when they released FFVII in PS1 and not in N64? That maintains till today, they cant play FFVII remake in Switch (actually neither in PC right now). Wasnt that a stab to hardcore japanese fans that played the series in NES and SNES?

If you want to talk about time exclusive stuff like FF7R being time exclusive for no reason
other than Playstation paying SE so that they dont release it anywhere else,
then yes, i'm calling that bs too. Still, you cant look at it the same way.
Yakuza started on Playstation and it was always on Playstation for over ten years.
And not as a multi plat, there was only one platform. The main platform for what? 12 games?
So to change sides after 12 games for no other reason than greed would be a bit of a different scenario wouldnt it?

All those titles are from Sega. I'd understand that point to games like God of War or TLOU because they are made by Sony, but this is not the case. If Microsoft or Epic comes to me with a better deal, why they'd say no? Should Yu Suzuki said no to Epic's money?

Yu Suzuki had probably nothing to say in that scenario. He said yes to Deep Silvers deal
and then Deep Silver made their own deal to ensure that they arent going to lose money with that project.
That Epic deal was not Suzukis decision. He said yes to Deep Silver, not to Epic.
I explained the core fanbase problem in the other posts.
Sure it could be a fine deal for Sega, it would still be a huge 'f you' to the audience
that kept them in business.

This sucks? Yeah. Sure. But this happens all the time, since decades ago. I wont complain because it happens right now and when we are talking about a series I can play. I had to emulate MGSIV, Bayonetta 2. PS3 community had to wait years to try Mass effect series.

Bayonetta 2 was only made because of Nintendo, so that doesnt count.
Everything else in the modern gaming era like Last of US, Uncharted, Halo, Gears of War etc
exists only on one platform (platforms supported by one company) and its your choice if you want to support it or not.
You cant be mad about Uncharted not being on Xbox or Forza not being on Playstation.
You know which platform has which games, so its your own choice.
But this would be a problem in the Yakuza scenario,
because Yakuza was always a Playstation main platform series.
Just a couple of years ago, there was no discussion about other platforms,
if you were interested in Yakuza you had to buy a Playstation console.

No Playstation Yakuza fan would have ever thought about Yakuza not being on Playstation.
Why wouldnt it? It only exists because of Playstation.
If the series would have made millions on PC guaranteed from 2006 until now and Sega didnt need Playstation,
then why was there no game on PC for over 10 years? Seems like there were not a lot of requests?
All of the main games were Playstation exclusives for over 10 years.
So if they start excluding Playstation now because Microsoft
sent some trucks with gold, then thats nothing else than greed in the worst possible way.

They would deactivate their own life support that kept them alive for years.
So to answer the question again, yes i absolutely think that
Yakuza / Judgment whatever exclusive to Xbox / PC would be bad or even terrible,
simply because of all the events that happened over all these years
and how it was never ever a question if Yakuza (+ Spin Offs) is a Playstation game or not.
It was always more than clear that it is a Playstation series.

Last edited:
Thats not the point at all. The point is that its a series that was always made for japanese gamers
on a japanese console. Dozens of titles where available on platforms made by one company
and if you were interested in playingy it, you had no other chance then buying the platform.
So where did the support for all the titles until Yakuza 0 came from?
From Playstation users. Not from PC, not from Xbox. Not a single cent.
So let me see if I get your point. THEY release a game in Japanese, and if I dont support it because I dont know Japanese it's my fault? Your argument'd be correct if the game was released world-wide (in English) BUT only sold well in Japan. In that case, you're right. But you are giving merit to Japanese because they played a Japanese game and we Western didnt.

Again, not the point at all. The hardcore fans were the ones who supported this niche series,
people who imported japanese copies and japanese consoles,
people who had to play with a guide because there was no english version,
Whoa whoa hold on. You said the game was meant to be played by Japanese people, now we are counting the Western? Are they allowed now? And btw I'm not sure why you emphatized the fact that the game was developed by Japanese. Ghost of Tsushima was made by a Western studio, is it only for Japanese because it's a Samurai? EA made FIFA, is that for Westerns? Should Japanese play PES because it's from Konami? This doesnt make sense, this "Japanese did it for Japanese" it's a bit scary way of thinking.

These people kept the series alive. Sure, Xbox or PC players could have done the same
but it doesnt make any sense to discuss this because the scenario never existed.
Again, because they didnt have a chance to do it. If you say "its multiplat, but only sold well in PS platforms and in Japan". Nailed it. Bravo. In that case, everybody started in the same line.

The hardcore fans who kept the series alive werent PC or Xbox players
who bought Yakuza 0 one year after release for 10USD or for free on GamePass.
Again. They didnt had the chance. Sorry for not being a Japanese guy with a PS4. Now they have the chance and the series it's more alive than ever. You said it earlier, it's a niche series. Why it's a niche series? Well, maybe it didnt sell good in PS. Maybe needed more support from other countries (hello, my name is "The West" and last name is "Other platforms". Maybe if PS players supported more they shouldnt have the need of this ports. 14 millions games sold till the release of Y0 when the series was only in Playstation. I dont want to be meanie, but God of War has more sales only with its last game.
Imagine Yakuza being exclusive to Xbox One in 2014 or whatever,
Like FFVII (talking about the original) did?
If you want to talk about time exclusive stuff like FF7R being time exclusive for no reason
other than Playstation paying SE so that they dont release it anywhere else,
then yes, i'm calling that bs too. Still, you cant look at it the same way.
Yakuza started on Playstation and it was always on Playstation for over ten years.
And not as a multi plat, there was only one platform. The main platform for what? 12 games?
So to change sides after 12 games for no other reason than greed would be a bit of a different scenario wouldnt it?
The exact same situation with FVII. 6 games, 10 years. Passed to Sony.
But this would be a problem in the Yakuza scenario,
because Yakuza was always a Playstation main platform series.
Just a couple of years ago, there was no discussion about other platforms,
if you were interested in Yakuza you had to buy a Playstation console.
Again. Exact. Same. Situation.
If the series would have made millions on PC guaranteed from 2006 until now and Sega didnt need Playstation,
then why was there no game on PC for over 10 years? Seems like there were not a lot of requests?
All of the main games were Playstation exclusives for over 10 years.
So if they start excluding Playstation now because Microsoft
sent some trucks with gold, then thats nothing else than greed in the worst possible way.
Maybe because they sign some exclusivity contract? Maybe because Sega it's conservative and doesnt want to take risk because it was broke in 2006 and played safe? And what about the fact that when the series went to PC with Y0, immediately they made Kiwami 1 and Kiwami 2? They did that to lost money or they did it because they saw they can gain money because PC players wanted it (same case with Persona) and then LATER enters the Microsoft deal with gamepass, because Microsoft saw people of PC are interested. They didnt ported because Microsoft put the money down. First they saw that sold well in PC by its own.
You cant be mad about Uncharted not being on Xbox or Forza not being on Playstation.
You brought this talking about seeing Kratos in Xbox. I said I realized that could be tricky but this was not the case.

You are basically mad because there's a possibility that the series you love'd make more money, would be available to be played by more people, making it more profitable to be available to make more games of the series, only because "think about Japanese players who owned a PS and played a game that was only released in Japanese".

Again. There are poeple of all countries and with other consoles that still loves the series and wants to play it too. Sorry for not being Japanese. Like there are a lot of Shenmue fans that didnt had the chance to play it in Dreamcast in the time but still love the series because they played the Xbox version later or the Steam version. Imagine if you say "oh no, Yu Suzuki, you should release this in Dreamcast. Only the hardcore fans who owned a Dreamcast and played it in the time (one million people) can play Shenmue 3. Is not fair people who didnt play it in the time turns a fan now, you didnt make the game for them, you did it for Dreamcast players". It's ridiculous. Just segregates people. And it's economically stupid.

Last edited:
So let me see if I get your point. THEY release a game in Japanese, and if I dont support it because I dont know Japanese it's my fault? Your argument'd be correct if the game was released world-wide (in English) BUT only sold well in Japan. In that case, you're right. But you are giving merit to Japanese because they played a Japanese game and we Western didnt.

Nagoshi and the other producers said countless of times
that the whole series was never meant to be some kind of international hit.
The games were designed for japanese adult men. Thats it.
What was the japanese console for japanese adult men
who wanted to play adult themed games in the time frame 2006-2017?
Playstation consoles. The support of westerners was not their main goal at all.
These games were never made for me or you. So we dont have to discuss this part,
there is clear evidence that our market was not the main goal.
It was a nice side effect after they released a couple of games.
But still, their whole plan was to make these games for a adult japanese audience.

Why do you think that the japanese versions always came first, sometimes even without announcing a english version?
Because it was their main target market.
And to answer your question 'Your argument'd be correct if the game was released world-wide (in English)
BUT only sold well in Japan', well not that it sold amazingly well in Japan
but why do you think Sega struggled with the english Y5 announcement
or why they dropped the english dub after one game?
Because it sold so well in the west? Eh probably not.
We are talking about times way before this 2017+ Japan hype.
Yakuza games were ultra niche before that. Like they showed gameplay footage
of new titles in western gameshows in 2012 and so on and the audience was like '???'.
And i'm not talking about Playstation audience, i'm talking about gamers on all platforms.
There was absolutely no hype at all.
Completely different times. There was no big Persona hype or whatever.
There was no Youtube Anime Man or Abroad in Japan channel.
The only popular japanese stuff in the west were games like Resident Evil, Final Fantasy etc.

But guess what, it was never a problem for the japanese original versions.
They still made them, and a new one, and a new one, and a new one, and a new one.
Year after year after year. The english versions were the problem.
The japanese sales numbers were good enough because that was their main target market.
Every other region was pretty much nothing else than hardcore fan support.
Like Shenmue kind of level. Yakuza was not a big IP at all.
Still, the hardcore western fans on Playstation were the ones who kept the english translated series alive.
I mean Sega was at a point where they didnt even knew if they should translate Y5 or not.
What do you think would have happened without these hardcore fans who pushed Sega?
Sega would have dropped the international versions after Y4 and thats it, game over.
No english Y5, Y6, no multi language Judgment etc.

Do you think Sega would have tried it on Xbox or PC after four games when Playstation is already a failure?
They would have stopped the international releases once and for all.
And as a nice big thank you for over ten years of support and keeping a ultra niche IP alive,
we should now celebrate if Microsoft comes in with 10000 bags of money
so that they can take away all of that to be able to announce that this awesome game universe
is now exclusive on Xbox and PC? Ehhhhh ... hell no.

Why should i or any oldschool fan support that?
What did Microsoft do for me that i should welcome exclusive Xbox and PC games?
Did they pay for the english translation of Yakuza 0-6 or Judgment or whatever? No.
Does any of these games only exist because of Microsofts support? No.
They came in in the absolute peak phase of the series, had nothing to do with any of the struggle at all
and now i should support it, if they exclude Playstation players just so that Microsoft can
present themselfs like winners because they have the IP now? Eeehhh, forget it.
I'm not talking about more players playing these games, thats fine,
i'm talking about that it would be complete bs if Microsoft gets a exclusive game in this series
and we are supposed to act like Microsoft is the savior of all things even tho
all of these games exists without Microsoft.

You cant just come on board after 10 years with one fan base who did their best in the hardest times
and be like 'well i think i joined at a good time, these japanese games are more popular now,
what about kicking your original fan base out, so that you can make something exclusive for us now,
even tho until recently we had nothing to do with this series at all but whatever.'
Yeah sure, i mean that sounds great, right? Every Playstation player should support that.

What’s the argument here?
Should there be something like a Xbox / PC exclusive game in the Yakuza universe,
like Microsoft paying to exclude Playstation players. (imagine Judgment 2 but not on PS)
To push GamePass or being able to claim that this is only available on Microsoft platforms.
Even tho Microsoft never had anything to to with the series until recently, they simply joined in the peak phase
and they would simply pay Sega to force Playstation users to change platforms if they want to keep playing.
All of that after the Yakuza core fanbase on Playstation supported the series over 10 years
and its possible that the english translated versions are only alive because of that hardcore fan support.
Now Microsoft joins with a truck full of gold and wants Judgment 2 for Xbox and PC only.
Cool or not cool?

Back