General RGG Discussion

How did you guys fare on the True Millennium Tower bonus dungeon in Yakuza 7? What was your team, and how many jobs did you lot max out?

I used my main team of Ichiban, Adachi, Saeko and Eri. All were above level 93 (I think Ichiban was 97 or something, can't remember) and the jobs were maxed for all.

After being a Shenmue fan for two decades and hearing countless comparisons, I finally completed my first Yakuza game yesterday. I picked Yakuza 0, and I really liked it.

What I loved the most about the game is the writing (though not necessarily the plot, as I will explain later). They striked a perfect balance with Kiryu as the main character. He is stoic and plain enough to serve as an avatar for any player, but at the same time he has a very marked personality. The game often shifts between hilarious and ultra-serious tones with grace, and has a lot of charm. The intertwining stories of Kiryu and Majima work really well to keep the interest of the player in high points of the story, like mini-cliffhangers between seasons of a TV show. Although I was a bit disappointed by both stories not interacting more directly in the end (I expected the encounter of both protagonists would be the climax of the game, and I was wrong).

The plot was ok, but it felt more like a soap opera than a meaty story. All the different Yakuza branches and bosses and their rivalries and alliances were good vehicles to carry the game, but not that interesting to me at the end of the day. Shenmue's story is much less intrincate, but feels more relatable, more universal and with much more weight (parent/son relationship, revenge, friendship, journey and discovery). Maybe if I complete the whole 7 games of the Kiryu saga I will think differently, though.

The environments of Yakuza 0 were beautiful and really faithful to the real cities they are based on (I've been to both Kabukicho and Dotonbori before in real life, and the game reminded me a lot about those trips). It's a shame, though, that I didn't get so familiar with the scenarios even after spending 70 hours wandering them. But that's what happens when you have a permanent mini-map with markers (one of the main successes of Shenmue I&II was avoiding them and make the player actually pay attention to the surroundings, IMO).

I really liked the combat too. For a casual player like me who never invested heavily in a technical fighting game like Virtua Fighter, it's much more fun than the fighting in Shenmue (which I fully respect and understand might be the superior one). The random encounters are a bit tiring at the end, but that "money confetti" thing is so useful (and so hilarious and so "on-context" with the theme of the game and of that era of Japan) that I forgive that :-).

Another thing that made me think of Shenmue is the voice acting, and specifically the lack of it for substories and other segments. I thought that before, but this game confirms me in the belief that Shenmue should ditch the full voice acting too, and get to have a lot more dialogue in exchange (and a lot more of world building, through that). On the contrary, I found the soundtrack of Yakuza 0 quite disappointing, leagues below Shenmue both in quantity and quality. The music is serviceable, but except from some select tracks (in the karaoke, mostly), none of it is memorable.

Finally, one positive thing that Shenmue could learn from Yakuza is that the minigames are generally well developed mechanically, and quite fun. Although some like Shogi or Mahjong feel a bit too complex for being a mini-game.

Overall, I really liked Yakuza 0 and I'm glad to know the series first hand now. I liked it enough to play some other game in the series, although I really doubt I get to complete the full set of seven. I will probably play Kiwami since I've learned it's much shorter than 0 and is the direct continuation. And then I'll probably skip to 6 and see the end of Kiryu's journey (and get a taste of the Dragon Engine). If I like Kiwami a lot maybe I'll add Kiwami 2, but I really doubt I'll play 3 to 5 (specially this last one, which I understand is really long).

Glad you enjoyed it. The games have a few passing similarities, but they are NOT similar series, at all.

A few things:

- what you mention as good writing, is not good writing lol; it's good scenario/plot framing/storyboarding, which, while part of the writing process, is not necessarily, "writing;" what you are referring to, would be more the role of the director/producer, who was able to use the story beats cohesively and integrate them in a way that kept you hooked.

The actual writing is not that great (as you mentioned, like a soap opera), with a love interest and unnecessary dramatics, etc. The other games have a bit of unnecessary dramatics as well, but far less and not to do with a love theme (save for 2); basically, the other games in the series (outside of 2), play more like Kiryu's portion of the game and far less of Majima's.

- While correct in that all of the substories are not voiced, EVERYTHING is voiced (basically) in 6, so the series did venture into that territory, in that game. I feel that it made things a bit more immersive and enjoyable, but that's just me (they did go back to only voicing cutscenes and important story points, for Kiwami 2).

- This is strictly a matter of taste, as musically (and from a musical quality POV), 0's soundtrack is fantastic; all of Zenta's guitarwork is superb (Hyd Lunch and Sega's internal musicians as well), the music is well-composed and intricate (not repeating beats after 10 seconds that don't add to the situation) and there are a ton of catchy and memorable hooks in the music, which make for fantastic listening while driving, walking, working out, etc.; I've always contended that if the music is listenable/useful outside of the game, then it is quality music; 0 is no exception. As much as I think the game on the whole is overrated, the soundtrack is definitely one of the 3 best in the series, bar none and SUPER memorable. The karaoke music is well-done as well (as you noted), but if you're heavily-invested into the series like myself and a few others, it is beyond-silly and super-annoying, nowadays; fans have ruined it.

- The game isn't the full set of 7 (with 0, it's 8, btw ;)); it is a full set of *17* titles lol. There are a few spinoffs that don't take place in the same setting or timeline though (Hokuto ga Gotoku, Ishin! and Kenzan!) and Dead Souls is a 3rd person shooter, though it does wholly take place in Kamurocho. Otherwise:

1. Judge Eyes has a different main character, but takes place wholly in Kamurocho, has the exact same setting and timeline and the same fight-style and minigames. This is definitely one of the better titles in the series. Has a sequel that will be released at the end of this year or early next year (we hope, anyways!)
2. Kurohyos (Black Panther) 1 and 2 have a different main character, but are virtually IDENTICAL to the main series, otherwise. Same setting, same timeline, same type of plot, same minigames, etc., etc. Fighting is from a different perspective and much-more varied, but it virtually the same as the main series as well. Only issue is that they were PSP-only and only released in Japan.

So outside of those 7 titles, there are 10 main-storyline games that are distinctly-different from each other. 1 and Kiwami are the same setting and plot (of course), but different engines, playstyles and different-enough from each other to not be considered a simple remaster, same with Kiwami 2. The remasters for 3-5 are just that, remasters, without anything significant to change the game around, outside of visuals.

If I can make a suggestion, I would say to play:

0, 1/Kiwami, 3, 5, 6 and 7. I'm tempted to put 4 in there, as it introduced 2 characters that are INCREDIBLY-IMPORTANT to the series' plot going forward, but it is a very weak game compared to the rest (well-liked, but has many issues). You won't miss anything if you skipped 2/Kiwami 2. Nothing. If this was back in 2010, it would be a must-play, as it improved A TON of what the issues were in 1, but with the other Dragon Engine games working well-enough and, "that big jump," that it made for the series after the first game no longer being THAT big (due to 6 and 7 being just as good), it is skippable for it's awful writing, dumb plot and arguably worse soundtrack... but it does have a main antagonist that is super-popular and beloved. 3 has a superb plot (that mirrored a similar situation that was going on in Japan at the time) and arguably the best antagonist in the series. The gripes for this game were that people didn't like the orphanage parts, but it doesn't make them bad from a quality standpoint (IMO, it is phenomenal). 5 is indeed the longest and biggest game, pre-7 (though it may be on par with 7, if I think about it), but it oozes quality out of every pore. If there is any failing, it is that Haruka's gameplay and the final fight weren't universally well-received, but they aren't bad from a quality or plot-perspective, so it's a matter of taste.

I would never tell someone to play all 17 games in the series, but if you're a die-hard like me (it is my 2nd-favourite videogame series EVER, after 'mue), it would be a super-enjoyable time playing all 17 games in the series and you would have a blast, especially with all the canonical connections, call-backs, homages, etc., etc., etc. That would take up a good 500 hours or so, minimum (or more!), a lot of brain power (these are HEAVY plots lol) and a bunch of hours outside of gameplay, to look into things, acquiring music/media that can be used every day, etc.

It, along with 'mue and Sonic (due to popularity and impact on the videogame world as a whole), are the three greatest things that Sega has ever created.

Last edited:
- The game isn't the full set of 7 (with 0, it's 8, btw ;)); it is a full set of *17* titles lol. There are a few spinoffs that don't take place in the same setting or timeline though (Hokuto ga Gotoku, Ishin! and Kenzan!) and Dead Souls is a 3rd person shooter, though it does wholly take place in Kamurocho.
Many thanks for your detailed response. It was very interesting and gave me a good perspective on the series.

I'm aware there are spinoffs and PSP games and things like that. But the set of 7 I was referring to includes the mainline Kiryu games, so it ranges from Yakuza 0 to Yakuza 6 (not including Like a Dragon, thus).

Outside those games, and from your description, you made me interested in Judgement, but it's not on PC sadly :-(. I've never liked turn based JRPGS so Yakuza: Like a Dragon 7 is not on my pipeline.

It, along with 'mue and Sonic (due to popularity and impact on the videogame world as a whole), are the three greatest things that Sega has ever created.
I kind of feel that the Yakuza series is the last remnant of the Sega of yesteryear (although Sega in its prime didn't churn out that many sequels and preferred to create new franchises). I read somewhere that the director of Jet Set Radio (my other favourite Dreamcast game alongside Shenmue) had been working on the Yakuza series afterwards, and I'd say it kind of fits. Despite being radically different styles, the ability of both games to capture the essence of Tokyo feels similar.

Kurohyos (Black Panther) 1 and 2 have a different main character, but are virtually IDENTICAL to the main series, otherwise. Same setting, same timeline, same type of plot, same minigames, etc., etc. Fighting is from a different perspective and much-more varied, but it virtually the same as the main series as well. Only issue is that they were PSP-only and only released in Japan.

They play more like the old PS2 games. It was hard playing these games last year and dealing with the fixed camera angles. But the jobs like working at a fast food joint and a strip club were fun. Also, the combat is unique in which you give Tatsuya all kinds of fighting styles to work with such as karate, kickboxing, boxing, street fighting, amateur wrestling, pro wrestling, sambo, MMA, etc. A must-have for MMA fans. I believe the people who do the Kenka Bancho series also did Kurohyo.

@jcjimher You forgot to mention the best part of 0, the hostess club minigame and that awesome customization theme song! Even if you're not into JRPGs, I still strongly recommend you give Like a Dragon a chance. It offers way more than just JRPG stuff.

It was a bit of a slog, but I've finally completed the True Final Millennium Tower.

Han is a pretty good magic user. His high agility suits him as a character of versatility. I made him into a Host with skills and spells from the other maxed jobs. Zhao and Eri are the real powerhouses of the team, so I assigned them jobs which made use of their physical strengths. Namba is a good mage-type, too. He does have low hp, unfortunately.

How did you players fare with the final challenge of Yakuza 7?

Alright, I finally beat Y5 after starting it back up a few days ago. I have some shallow stupid idiot thoughts that no one cares about so feel free to scroll right past this slop of shit post I'm about to make. Also just a disclaimer to further delegitimize my opinion before anyone even reads it: I kinda did the game a massive disservice by rushing through the main story so I could get to the arcade in Y6. I didn't take as much time as I usually do to really soak up the sights, atmosphere, creative implementations of events or encounter design, etc. So, I think one of these days I'm going to have to go back and give it the properly paced playthrough it deserves... but for the time being I'm just going to blabber about how I felt through this compromised experience.

• The game was looooong and massive, holy shit. Even while trying to do the story as fast as possible and not touching side-stuff, there was just so much main story content shoved in here it's absurd. I would love to read about the development of this game some time, it really seems like they were going all out with this one for whatever reason.
  • Combat felt great. Kiryu felt that extra bit further refined and unique, Akiyama felt like he got a big buff from 4, and I finally grew to like Taiga's combat style. Shinada felt fairly weak but was a blast to play, having to adjust to his quirks and all.
  • Majima was kind of a wet noodle in this game.
  • Seemed like... there were more cutscenes in this game than usual? I could totally just be imagining that because I was rushing the main story, but it felt like there were just a bit too many, too frequent, and too long imo.
  • Loved the start of the game and the slow fashion in which they revealed the events leading up to Kiryu's "current" lifestyle. Beautiful upscale feeling town too, and I loved the few taxi segments I actually played.
  • Hated Taiga's segment just like I hated it in 4. Hated being in prison (yet I liked his prison frens and the warden weirdly enough), hated notChai, hated the escape, hated the snow, hated the hunting (though I have a feeling I'll like this a lot more when I replay without rushing), mixed feelings on Baba.
  • Loved Haruka's segment way more than any heterosexual man should. I said I rushed through the story and ignored side stuff, and generally speaking I did... but not here. As much as I tried to stop myself, I spent several hours doing optional events here to win Haruka over more fans lmao. I really loved the rhythm game mechanics here, I wish we could get a whole game based on them.
  • Haruka's outfits were mostly cute but WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT PRINCESS ROUND 2 OUTFIT NAGO YOU BASTARD YOU MADE HER LOOK LIKE A SLUT I CAN'T FORGI
  • okay that last costume was aesthetic af. all is forgiven.
  • I also really liked the story here for whatever reason. I went from disliking Park and thinking she's a bit of a baddie, to finding her adopting a motherly role for Haruka really sweet. I should probably get my test levels checked but w/e...
  • THOSE BITCHES TRIPPED HER WHY ARE YOU GETTING MAD AT HARUKA
  • Oh yeah, Akiyama was here too. He was pretty cool sleuthing around.
  • I actually really liked Shinada's story. Definitely felt like it slowed the pace of the story, but I didn't mind at all simply because I enjoyed it.
  • His developing bromance with his loan shark + the twist that the loan shark was the one that caught his homerun ball was dumb as hell... but also heartwarming and I love it so much lmao.
  • The twist behind the Nagoya "yakuza" was awesome.
  • The characterization in this segment in general was probably the best in the game.
  • Loved the ending with Sawada.
  • The final segment was good but not great imo.
  • There was some good fights, especially stuff like the final boss fight, but in general I felt a little underwhelmed in this regard compared to other games in the series. The "levels" that kind of play like Spikeout, usually the highlight of these games for me, just felt a little lacking imo.
  • Even though I said the final fight was good (and it was, it was great), from a story perspective I feel a little conflicted over it. Specifically, who it was with. On one hand, it felt a bit unsatisfying, but on the other, I think that was kind of the point. I think the theme of his character in that moment as well as the speech he gave was creative and daring.
  • The post credits scene with Haruka finding Kiryu was excellent.
Tbh I had even more things I wanted to say, but this post is getting too damn long as it is so I'll just cut it here. I guess the main takeaway is it's a very impressive game that I didn't give as much of a chance to shine as I should have. My feelings for the game could very well change upon replaying it, but atm my relative ranking of the series thus far is:

3 > 0 = 1 > 5 >>> powergap >>> 4 = 2

Gonna enjoy going back to read @Sput Vas Normandy 's and others' impression of the game now. :cool:

EDIT: I swear to god I'm not adding any more shit to this trash-fire of a poster after this, but I had to make an exception for the post below
Yakuza 5, one of the best scenes of the series, I'm saying it...

When Haruka was begging to those two bitches and suddenly her boss Park appears to save the day, and then Haruka gives her the present. Such a great scene

What? I'm not soft YOU ARE SOFT!
God YES that was so good 😭😭 SHE HID IT AND THEN BROUGHT IT BACK OMG 😭😭😭

Last edited:
About Y5 in general
  • The game was looooong and massive, holy shit. Even while trying to do the story as fast as possible and not touching side-stuff, there was just so much main story content shoved in here it's absurd. I would love to read about the development of this game some time, it really seems like they were going all out with this one for whatever reason.
I know right that's what I said. It was soooo fucking long lol.

• Loved the start of the game and the slow fashion in which they revealed the events leading up to Kiryu's "current" lifestyle. Beautiful upscale feeling town too, and I loved the few taxi segments I actually played.
Like I said, this was MGSIV imo. There were A LOT of cutscenes. It was kinda bothering me to be honest.
That was amazing. I could spent an entire series in that town doing
  • Hated Taiga's segment just like I hated it in 4. Hated being in prison (yet I liked his prison frens and the warden weirdly enough), hated notChai, hated the escape, hated the snow, hated the hunting (though I have a feeling I'll like this a lot more when I replay without rushing), mixed feelings on Baba.
I KNOW it was so tough for me. Hated the montain stuff.
that.

• Loved Haruka's segment way more than any heterosexual man should. I said I rushed through the story and ignored side stuff, and generally speaking I did... but not here. As much as I tried to stop myself, I spent several hours doing optional events here to win Haruka over more fans lmao. I really loved the rhythm game mechanics here, I wish we could get a whole game based on them.
I did ALL THE STUFF. HANDSHAKING FOR EVERYBODY
  • Oh yeah, Akiyama was here too. He was pretty cool sleuthing around.
I'll maintain this till the end of the world: Akiyama is such a great character. Her participation in Y5 was crucial, I missed him in Y6. He was there but not that important.
  • I actually really liked Shinada's story. Definitely felt like it slowed the pace of the story, but I didn't mind at all simply because I enjoyed it.
Nah, I hated it. It was an unnecesary character imo.
About Y5 ending
  • Even though I said the final fight was good (and it was, it was great), from a story perspective I feel a little conflicted over it. Specifically, who it was with. On one hand, it felt a bit unsatisfying, but on the other, I think that was kind of the point. I think the theme of his character in that moment as well as the speech he gave was creative and daring.
I said somewhere here, I found Y5 like:
- hey bro lets fight
- why
- idk man lets just do it.

The ending was that. Literally.

And of course MAH BOY MAJIMA IS STILL ALIVE. OF COURSE HE WONT DIE!

I'm not really a 'emotional gamer' or whatever you want to call it,
like if someone dies in a horror game or in GTA etc i really dont care most of the time.
I'm not really attached to these characters.
But the scene in Y5 with Haruka and the damaged present made me so mad
that i was about to throw my PS4 out of the window. I think i paused the game for 10 days or so
after that because just thinking about the scene made me sad.

I'm not really a 'emotional gamer' or whatever you want to call it,
like if someone dies in a horror game or in GTA etc i really dont care most of the time.
I'm not really attached to these characters.
But the scene in Y5 with Haruka and the damaged present made me so mad
that i was about to throw my PS4 out of the window. I think i paused the game for 10 days or so
after that because just thinking about the scene made me sad.

Yes that scene gets me mad too. There's another scene shortly later in Haruka's story that consistently gets me a little emotional too.

That's what good writing does ;).

See how you guys felt something from that scene and it was completely-genuine and organic, from just the setting and situation of the game? Not something shoehorned in by bad writing like in 2? (lol I REALLY am not a fan of that game lol)

BECAUSE of its massive-size and tons of things to do, I felt it was the best game forever (and then 7 came out); it really has a ton of depth and Ryu ga Gotoku Studios absolutely did throw everything at this game to make it big and wonderful. The promotion for this game was much-greater than what came after it (save for Ishin!, which was on par. I don't know about the titles before it, as I first-played the series in 2012, before 5 came out) and had a ton-more celebrity tie-ins and the like, compared to what came before and after it.

That's what good writing does ;).

See how you guys felt something from that scene and it was completely-genuine and organic, from just the setting and situation of the game? Not something shoehorned in by bad writing like in 2? (lol I REALLY am not a fan of that game lol)
The Haruka handshake events were a better love story than anything in 2...

BECAUSE of its massive-size and tons of things to do, I felt it was the best game forever (and then 7 came out); it really has a ton of depth and Ryu ga Gotoku Studios absolutely did throw everything at this game to make it big and wonderful. The promotion for this game was much-greater than what came after it (save for Ishin!, which was on par. I don't know about the titles before it, as I first-played the series in 2012, before 5 came out) and had a ton-more celebrity tie-ins and the like, compared to what came before and after it.
So that really was the case, huh? I wonder why that is.

I started playing Y7 again, this time on PS5. Really sucks not being able to transfer my New Game + file from PS4, as I’ve stated many (many) times before that I really didn’t enjoy the grinding in this game. But after playing it again, it ain’t so bad. Playing it in English REALLY helps sitting through all the bullshit barely-animated cutscenes. I still do feel that RGS needs to be more economical with their storytelling though. This game might be the worst offender. Nothing against the story, but the characters literally stand around and talk about what’s going on, rather than allowing the player to experience the story with the characters. I don’t know, maybe it’s like an anime storytelling device or something.

My wife is also really into the game. She’s actually leveled up much more than my party is and seems to be more interested in the mechanics than I am 😂

I started playing Y7 again, this time on PS5. Really sucks not being able to transfer my New Game + file from PS4, as I’ve stated many (many) times before that I really didn’t enjoy the grinding in this game.
I mostly agree...I have the PS5 version downloaded, but I can't be assed to start over again just because that grind does get a little monotonous....why oh why can't they just do cross save?

I had planned to Platinum the PS4 version but it's still at Chapter 11...I really can't be assed doing that grind again. It's nothing against the game, I just can't be bothered pouring another total 110 hours in grinding for the second platinum.

Well, I just beat the main story in 6. Overall, I really enjoyed the game. I ended up doing the side stuff along the away a lot more than I did in 4 and 5, in part because I got my FUCKING arcade games finally (😭) so I didn't need feel the need to rush, but also partly because I was simply more drawn to do them. I think I'm with @danielmann861 in that I just prefer playing as one character as opposed to several. I think my ranking at this point is

3 > 0 = 1 > 6 > 5 >>> power-gap >>> 4 = 2

I came THIS close to ranking it equal to 0 and 1, but just barely decided not to based on something I go over in the spoiler section of this post. For some reason I enjoyed the combat and engine here WAY more than I did in K2. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense really, but there you go. After Okinawa, I would say Hiroshima is pretty easily my second favorite location in the series. As far as the plot itself, I have a small handful of stupid thoughts:

• The twist with Hirose legitimately got me, first time I had been surprised like this in the series. Of course I suspected there was something up with him at first, but once the whole baby kidnapping and resolution happened, I ended up getting thrown off his scent. I really thought "oh, they were trying to get me to suspect Hirose for this event, but it looks like he's actually fine".
  • Near the end of the game where there was the fake-out gunshot on Kiyomi and it was painfully obvious she was still alive... I started to really want her to end up being the big-bad orchestrating everything behind the scenes. Somehow.
  • Even though I think Kiryu did the right thing in the end, I'm still REALLY butthurt over that ending. Not because I wanted him to star in another game, I'm glad he can finally rest and not worry about getting dragged back into Yakuza shit, but fuck. It's just way too sad that he'll never be able to see Haruka ever again and vice versa. God I am so butthurt rn, I am not kidding you. I hate it. Logically and emotionally I'm totally at odds with myself.
  • I never want to see another hostage situation in this series ever again 🤬🤬🤬

Also, I think i got a new PB in Space Harrier (normal, none of that 5 lives easy mode SHIT). Stage 14. I was cruising along just fine with only one stupid mistake until this level, and then just got eradicated. I was expecting some more up-down dodging like in stage 4 and 9 simply at a higher speed, but it seems the patterns are a bit more complicated than that. Sorry the brightness is blown out here btw, I tend to crank the gamma in games because I guess I'm blind or something. Obviously in something like Space Harrier it's not necessary, but I didn't think to change the gamma back before playing a couple credits.

1388590_screenshots_20210419000849_1.jpg

I ended up playing several hours of the main game using the Saturn retrobit controller btw. I'd plug it in for these arcade games, and then I'd be too lazy to swap back to my analog controller, so yeah... It works way better than it has any right to?? I set camera reset to the left shoulder button and I was good to go. I legitimately only switched back because of the baby minigame that requires both sticks + d-pad lmao.

Last edited:
For me, Y5 is the least memorable, but not in a bad way. I think aside from Y4, it’s the game I’ve played the least, but only because it’s really daunting. It amazes me at how good it still looks, especially the remaster. And the fighting, at least when playing as Kiryu, is my favorite pre-Y0 (except for the stupid looking backflip dropkick he has 😂). Just talking about the game makes me want to play it again, but then I remember that I’d have to play through Saejima’s chapter eventually.

• Even though I think Kiryu did the right thing in the end, I'm still REALLY butthurt over that ending. Not because I wanted him to star in another game, I'm glad he can finally rest and not worry about getting dragged back into Yakuza shit, but fuck. It's just way too sad that he'll never be able to see Haruka ever again and vice versa. God I am so butthurt rn, I am not kidding you. I hate it. Logically and emotionally I'm totally at odds with myself.

That's how you write a great, gritty crime drama ;).

It tears me up inside too, especially
Haruto looking all happy to see him, then seeing him be sad as Kiryu turns away.

I think about this scene all the time and it beats me up inside so much; that's the reality when someone disappears though, it's like a piece of you is gone, never to return. All you are left with are memories, be it wonderful or bad.

6 is a brilliant title, period.

Back