General RGG Discussion

I wouldnt say its easy. One of the most hyped up releases for a modern english release
was Yakuza 6 on PS4 and i think Sega announced that it sold like one million copies
(Asia + West) and titled as huge success. This was the new dragon engine,
Sega did a western release event stream with guests and everything.
So most of the other games were probably somewhere around 500.000 - 700.000
Bad descisions that ruins Sega's rep, Marketing effort, Not embracing all of thier international community/fandom, promotions, Using a direct Sequel as entry points trying to attract new fans, etc.

They're always tripping up critically somewhere and it shows in the results even when flying a flagship title.

~On another note, Look at some of the numbers classic Sega single entry soft-wares used to pull. I don't think it's strange to ask RGG, a flagship studio/game to pull the same weight as other past flagships? Albeit, Sega needs to pull their weight of support as well.

Last edited:
Lost-Judgment_20210520_01.jpg

One of the new Japanese screenshots showed an Active Search system, where the player has to closely survey people and locations from Yagami's perspective. Pressing R2 will allow Yagami to focus at the center of his sights, while holding L2 will let him think of possible connections that may have shown up.

Lost-Judgment_20210520_02.jpg

The other new screenshot reveals that Yagami can have a tracking dog assist him in his investigations. The detective can follow the dog's movements to eventually arrive at a new clue to solve the criminal mysteries.

Ahhhhh!!!!! That's so awesome! :D

But I swear, if that dog gets hurt, I won't be a happy camper...

Looks pretty cool.
Also not only is that L2 function for possible connections new,
but it looks like you have different tools for these detective scenes now.
Theres the old magnifying glass icon and then there is a camera, a listening device (?)
and a walky talky ... maybe even more if you go further left or right.

So maybe these detective scenes have more options / mechanics in Lost Judgment
instead of just one.

Lost-Judgment_20210520_01.jpg

One of the new Japanese screenshots showed an Active Search system, where the player has to closely survey people and locations from Yagami's perspective. Pressing R2 will allow Yagami to focus at the center of his sights, while holding L2 will let him think of possible connections that may have shown up.

Lost-Judgment_20210520_02.jpg

The other new screenshot reveals that Yagami can have a tracking dog assist him in his investigations. The detective can follow the dog's movements to eventually arrive at a new clue to solve the criminal mysteries.

The fact that we're riding on a train in that first screenshot is interesting to say the least. Scripted event I presume...I doubt we're gonna be able to ride on trains at free will.

So long as they keep doing weird interesting new shit with the detective stuff then I'll be happy. The fighting and all that was great as expected in the last game but we knew this team could do that stuff with ease. I really want to see them flesh out the detective stuff further...I always thought that was the weakest stuff in that first game from a gameplay standpoint.

I hate to say it, but I sometimes think they should have went a bit more Shenmue with the detective stuff as in getting bread crumbs from talking to NPC's and such. Or even taken a few cues from L.A Noire with some of the detective stuff it did. Or play with the idea of fail states, especially for side missions. What if you had detective side missions where you could actually fail because you didn't follow the correct clues? That's the stuff I really want to see them dig deeper into with more of these games.

Last edited:
The fact that we're riding on a train in that first screenshot is interesting to say the least. Scripted event I presume...I doubt we're gonna be able to ride on trains at free will.

So long as they keep doing weird interesting new shit with the detective stuff then I'll be happy. The fighting and all that was great as expected in the last game but we knew this team could do that stuff with ease. I really want to see them flesh out the detective stuff further...I always thought that was the weakest stuff in that first game from a gameplay standpoint.

I hate to say it, but I sometimes think they should have went a bit more Shenmue with the detective stuff as in getting bread crumbs from talking to NPC's and such. Or even taken a few cues from L.A Noire with some of the detective stuff it did. Or play with the idea of fail states, especially for side missions. What if you had detective side missions where you could actually fail because you didn't follow the correct clues? That's the stuff I really want to see them dig deeper into with more of these games.

Dear mister Daniel,
you have been reported for not taking part (or ignoring) in a discussion on may 15 - may 16 in this forum.
In addition you were then seen how you started the same discussion again on may 22,
the same discussion you ignored before.
I let you off with a warning this time.

Signed
The discussion police

rcdboomer.pngno no no no.gif

Dear mister Daniel,
you have been reported for not taking part (or ignoring) in a discussion on may 15 - may 16 in this forum.
In addition you were then seen how you started the same discussion again on may 22,
the same discussion you ignored before.
I let you off with a warning this time.

Signed
The discussion police

View attachment 11470View attachment 11471
Dear Discussion Police.

So sue me :D Or Cancel me...since that's the new thing to do on the Internet ;)

Dear Discussion Police.

So sue me :D Or Cancel me...since that's the new thing to do on the Internet ;)
I asked my mom and she said actually i have absolutely zero power here
and i have to apologize. Damn

BabyRage.png

But yes, i think we talked pretty much about the same thing on page 136
that the Judgment series could focus way more on the detective stuff
and demand a bit more brain power from the player.

Less scripted (correct) conclusions and hand holding.

I actually didn't see that discussion earlier...I really haven't paid much attention to the forums lately or haven't been reading everything in here...just been busy. With life and such.

I’m in the middle of Judgement’s final chapter. This is only my second play through and I’d forgotten a lot from my first go, but the game always remained a high mark for me. And man, despite the story becoming a crawl in the early chapters, it comes together beautifully towards the end. I love the emphasis on fighting together with your crew and the callbacks to smaller character moments. I’m still not too keen on the combat (although I feel it’s much better in 1-on-1 boss battles compared to any of the Yakuza games), but it’s still enjoyable after upgrading. The characters and writing are all fantastic, and easily the best the studio has done. I loved the characters in Y7 too, but there were just way too many other things that bothered me about that game. I went ahead and pre-ordered Lost Judgement a minute ago too. This is got to be my second favorite game from this studio, and one of my favorite games all-around.

You can pretty much cheat in the remaster version
because they give you dozens of free packages with items
and there is stuff in there that heals you over time or fills up your heat over time,
or your attacks can set enemies on fire or you can trigger a huge explosion
and these items have a unlimited amount.

So its pretty much god mode because if a fight with a boss + small enemies starts,
you can simply trigger the explosion, that kills all of the small enemies instantly
and probably even reduces the HP of the boss by 50%
and then you activate the heat over time item and spam the heat action moves.
Even on hard its absolutely no problem. And there is no punishment for using the items.

And yes, i like the story of Judgment too. I think in terms of 'aaaahhh i see, now it makes sense' moments,
Judgment is my favourite RGG Studio game.
It has some really cool story traps for the player where they make you think
that you already solved everything very early in the game
but actually its pretty much impossible to know the real truth by then.
Even if you start random guessing, there will be some surprises.
I also think its cool that its part of the Yakuza universe
but the Yakuza is not the main focus of the story
and i like that its not just about all bad guys being bad guys or whatever.

Maybe its not as complex as some of the Yakuza games in terms of amount of characters
but i think in Judgment thats a good thing because its easier to follow
and the story itself is still complex, just in a different way.
I understood everything in my first Judgment playthrough, no problem,
its very direct and clear.
With games like Yakuza 6 for example i have to think about it or google some details
because i simply forgot who the father or son or chairman or whatever was.
Wait, hes the captain of that, hes the captain of that ... and they are both in the same clan ... or they arent.
Is that an allie of Kiryu ... ?
I didnt have that problem with Judgment.

Last edited:
Playing Yakuza 6 and so far I REALLY like the story, the intro acting as an epilogue to Y5 was segwayed nicely. I also like the design new design of Little Asia and am curious to see where them events around that area lead.

However, I am having one glaring issue. The game seems to have a really strong sense of motion blur or something to that effect. When I pan the camera around in-game all that detail of the cityscape washes out and it just blurs really bad - The only other game I have had this issue with (admittedly more severely) was with Final Fantasy Type-0 HD. Funny thing is the cutscenes look silky smooth too! My semi-resolve for this issue is to navigate the city in first person. It just feels less of an issue and is manageable, though different to how I normally enjoy the games.

Shout out to finally being about to consume a beverage! I was shocked when I took one out of the vending machine and had the option to drink it then and there! It might sound silly but i've always found Yakuza's handling of eating meals too focused within menus - Not that I want to sit there for an hour and watch Kiryu chow down a buffett but I feel the process is can be a bit too mechanical at times.

Playing Yakuza 6 and so far I REALLY like the story, the intro acting as an epilogue to Y5 was segwayed nicely. I also like the design new design of Little Asia and am curious to see where them events around that area lead.

However, I am having one glaring issue. The game seems to have a really strong sense of motion blur or something to that effect. When I pan the camera around in-game all that detail of the cityscape washes out and it just blurs really bad - The only other game I have had this issue with (admittedly more severely) was with Final Fantasy Type-0 HD. Funny thing is the cutscenes look silky smooth too! My semi-resolve for this issue is to navigate the city in first person. It just feels less of an issue and is manageable, though different to how I normally enjoy the games.
PC or console? I was gonna say, there should be a setting in the PC to turn off motion blur right?

Did they really not improve the anti aliasing in the Yakuza 6 version on PC?
Because i saw threads on the Steam boards where people
asked why theres no real anti aliasing option
and how super noisy everything in motion looks even if you are using high screen resolutions.

Yakuza 6 has definitely the worst anti aliasing in all of the PS4 Yakuza games / versions
but i'm surprised that it still seems like an issue on PC?
I thought they would easily fix that

Did they really not improve the anti aliasing in the Yakuza 6 version on PC?
Because i saw threads on the Steam boards where people
asked why theres no real anti aliasing option
and how super noisy everything in motion looks even if you are using high screen resolutions.

Yakuza 6 has definitely the worst anti aliasing in all of the PS4 Yakuza games / versions
but i'm surprised that it still seems like an issue on PC?
I thought they would easily fix that

It looked fine to me but I'm running at 1080p on my PC, I don't know, I'll check again next time I go back to it. I can't say I paid much attention when playing through the first chapter again.

I’m still not too keen on the combat (although I feel it’s much better in 1-on-1 boss battles compared to any of the Yakuza games), but it’s still enjoyable after upgrading.

I love the EX/Heat actions though. I love how you can do drunken kung fu, or in some situations, have your opponent driven away in a yakuza's car.

Sega's statements can be pretty irritating sometimes.
Didnt they say in 2019 or 2020 that stuff like Yakuza isnt considered a Playstation IP anymore
and how Sega wants to do all of these multiplatform releases now
and PC is now a mainplatform too etc. They even had internal documents
that stated that more platforms means more people and more sales.
And they fulfilled that with Like A Dragon
but then a couple of months later they already went backwards with the Judgment Remaster.
Judgment Remaster is Next Gen only, there is no normal Xbox One (X) version
but Lost Judgment is coming to Xbox One (X), PS4 and Next Gen.
But the Xbox One console playerbase cant play the original Judgment.

And then also no plans for the Judgment series on PC but
they released Persona 4 Golden on Steam last year
and were super surprised about the positive feedback and everything.
But instead of taking that new version and the hype and making it available on PS4 or Xbox too ... nope.
No Persona 4 Golden for last gen / current gen console. And Judgment is stuck in some Stadia deal.

And now they announced the Sonic Colors Ultimate Edition and its EGS exclusive on PC
and the Virtua Fighter Remake thing is PS4 only.

Thats not really a consistent multiplatform plan, is it?
Its fine if they take the money from Epic, Stadia or Playstation or whatever
but maybe then they should stop with these multiplatform comments.

they released Persona 4 Golden on Steam last year
and were super surprised about the positive feedback and everything.
But instead of taking that new version and the hype and making it available on PS4 or Xbox too ... nope.
No Persona 4 Golden for last gen / current gen console. And Judgment is stuck in some Stadia deal.
Yeah, this one in particular is baffling. They know P4G was one of the best selling games on the Vita. Surely they know putting Persona 4 Golden on PS4 and Xbox would sell...especially PS4 given Persona 5....yet nothing?

It's strange...it's really strange. P4G is an easy money maker at this point and you know there is a market of PS4 owners who would gladly take it. P4G on PS4 would be easy money for them.

Hell given the success of P4G on Steam, you think that would have opened Atlus' eyes to the possibility of bringing P5 to PC. Not unless Sony has a deal for P5 that we don't know about?

I still believe Juddgment will come to PC. I just think you will get staggered releases. I mean they just released Yakuza 6 back in March on Steam so I gather it's gonna be staggered releases and maybe Judgment will come later in the year. I think that may be a case of fear of oversaturating the market all at once and maybe they're trying to stagger out releases. Given that almost every RGG game is now on Steam, I still have to believe this will come eventually but who knows?

VF5 Ultimate Showdown was probably money hatted by Sony considering Sony bought EVO...I could see that being the case. I would like for that to come to Steam eventually but we will wait and see.

It is somewhat strange though on some fronts. I suppose when Money talks SEGA answers.

Back