General RGG Discussion

I think it would be better to just rename this thread into Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio.
I think its too complicated to have multiple threads for the same studio,
also pretty much all of their games are part of the same universe
and its not like we are 500 people here

Good that it's up for pre-order.

I'm still waiting on the song announcement... hate when I'm in the dark :(

I still think the color grading in the original PS4 Judgment version looks way better than on Next Gen.
It looks so cold and generic in the new version.
And judging by the interview footage of Takuya Kimura for Lost Judgment,
it isnt even his normal skin color.

jud ps5.png
yagami33333.png

I still think the color grading in the original PS4 Judgment version looks way better than on Next Gen.
It looks so cold and generic in the new version.
And judging by the interview footage of Takuya Kimura for Lost Judgment,
it isnt even his normal skin color.

View attachment 11373
View attachment 11374
You know what? I hate to say it, but it looks like they made them more....Caucasian with said lighting.

I'll stick with my PS4 version. The lighting looked like shit on the trailer hence I never felt the need to jump on board for the PS5 version.

Yeah its really weird. And its not just the faces / skin color but it affects everything.
Like for example you have this warm yellow orange lighting in the office on PS4, it looks comfy.
But in the remaster version it looks like the lighting from inside a hospital or at the dentist.
Its a huge difference. And the PS4 version has this style to hide some details in the shadows and make a cool contrast
with the color grading but in the remaster version that doesnt exist. Everything is lit up
like in a operating room. No idea why they did this.

Yeah, it’s strange. I don’t think it’s nearly as bad as it looked in the trailer though. The other thing I noticed is that the new lighting makes the whites of the characters’ eyes really pop in a strange way. Same thing with the whites of the teeth.

I bought the game yesterday on PS5
because i want to play it again before Lost Judgment comes out.
And i played a bit around with my screen settings for about one hour,
changed the RGB screen settings manually to Red 92, Green 75 and Blue 46,
made the ingame brightness / contrast a little darker and the screen color saturation a bit stronger.

It gives the whole screen kind of an warm orange yellowish vintage look instead of this 'realistic bright blueish cold look'
and i think it works for me. It makes all the faces a bit less pale and more yellow
and all the street lights have a warm touch. It also fixes the super white teeth and eyes.
Its not easy to make comparison screenshots
because obviously the PS5 wont use the screen settings for screenshots.
So i only see these changes on my end but you wont.
I guess it really really depends on your TV / monitor setup and settings,
there probably wont be a perfect setting for every setup.

If you 'fixed' or changed the color stuff,
i think it is probably the best looking Ryu Ga Gotoku game right now (well, on console).
I dont know if this is a Kamurocho / Yokohama problem
or if its simply because the Judgment Remaster is the newest release,
but the overall texture quality in Judgment Remaster looks way better than the overall texture quality
in Yokohama in Yakuza Like A Dragon on PS5.
It looks very clean and sharp, very nice. You just have to 'fix' the color stuff yourself,
so its a bit annoying. I dont like the normal Remaster color grading at all.

I find it interesting that the series flagship became a JRPG basically, while the spinoff will take up the baton from Yakuza's old formula from now on. Nice going from RGG team if I may say so.

I know I’m in the minority saying this, but I was never a huge fan of Judgement’s combat system. I always thought it felt just a little clunky compared to that of Y6 and Kiwami 2, despite most thinking the opposite. Yagami’s base combo for example, starts with a one-two kind of rhythm and that always threw me off, and I never liked how you weren’t running by default and had to press X to sprint in battle. It felt really solid and weighty, which is usually a good thing, but I found it kind of contradicted how nimble and fast Yagami was supposed to be.

That being said, the fighting is a lot more enjoyable in 60 FPS.

Great point, Leroy; it always comes down to a, "different strokes for different folks," situation. I wasn't a huge fan of the combat either, but it was a good system and once you learned to effectively switch styles on the fly (like with Amon), the mechanics stood out even more.

All that said, I still feel that the combat peaked (and has remained at the same level) for the series in 5, with things dipping a bit, MAYBE in 0 and Kiwami.

Judgement’s is definitely a great combat system in how refined and almost fighting game-like it feels. I just didn’t enjoy it as much as I would’ve liked, but I am looking forward to seeing further refinements in the sequel.

As for different strokes, I definitely feel that (😂) since my favorite combat system is from Kiwami 2, one that most people feel that is a step down from Y0 and Kiwami. It really is up to personal preference though. Although it lacks the control, variety, and precision of previous combat engines and Judgement’s, I feel that Kiwami 2 and Y6 almost nailed the cinematic aspect of the combat.

Heres kind of a cheap color comparison for the Judgment Remaster.
As you can see the remaster lighting in general has a very pale cold looking clinic look to it
but if you put a yellow / orange filter on it with your screen settings, you can change it a little bit.
(the 2 and 4 picture is a direct picture of my screen and its not actually saturated as much as it looks here)

yag 1.png
Yag 2.png

Yag 3.png
Yag 4.png

Last edited:
I personally feel that the combat peaked with 6. Fully interactable background, outdoors to indoors combat seamless transition, action prompts using NPCs, ability to take battles to wherever environment suits you the most or simply run away to avoid fighting at all, and chaining strikes with grappling simply elevate the game above the rest. Kiwami 2 and Judgement follow the same structure but the problem in those games for me is that in Kiwami 2, there is so much emphasis in using weapons in such a way that totally breaks the challenge, while in Judgement, the main protagonist's physics during combat makes him almost God like with enemies AI unable to break his combo once he starts going. It feels like Majima's break dancing style, but cranked up to eleven.

Last edited:
After watching PC mod videos for Y6 and Kiwami 2, I feel there’s still a ton to explore with the combat engine without having to resort to gimmicky style switching. Hell, I’d be happy if a few more throw moves were added to the basic combo set.

A bit off topic but, I'm surprised Nagoshi survived the backlash and it didn't hurt his flagship IP's support.

Back