Stupid planks

Any easy way to get across the planks in shenmue 2? The controls don’t seem to match the online guide at all.

Think I found it out. I was doing it in reverse. Lol

If you go into the God of Wealth (?) building, you can skip a couple of the planks by going to the 6th floor. Also can find an AM2 capsule machine on the 10th floor.

I swear if I see these damn planks in Shenmue III as if Yu Suzuki thinks we enjoy this I'm going to flip a table. :p

Only the last two on the 10th floor give me fits. Otherwise they're sporadic and easy enough for me.

Probably obvious but saving after each plank is key.

I can't imagine having to fall and climb back up to the 10th floor again and again at the rate I fail QTEs.

Probably obvious but saving after each plank is key.

I can't imagine having to fall and climb back up to the 10th floor again and again at the rate I fail QTEs.

I do the first or second fall because I at least skip up to 6th floor. Third fall, I'm saving before each, though haha

I've got them written down sod trying to remember them!

The planks are up there (no pun intended) with the not-quite-first-person FREE Battles in Beverly Hills Wharf as the stupidest design decisions in the game. Worst of all, you have to start right from the bottom floor if you fuck up just once, which essentially encourages the player to save before each plank, thereby nullifying organic trial-and-error by exploiting a system outside of the mechanics.

Then what happens in the event of fucking up on the plank in the Yellow Head Building? You start at the beginning of the plank, which is exactly what should happen, unlike the Ghost Hall planks.

Ridiculous. Still, I'd love an easter egg in Shenmue III where Ryo sees a load of planks lying around and lets out a 'tsk' at the sight of them :p

I'd love an easter egg in Shenmue III where Ryo sees a load of planks lying around and lets out a 'tsk' at the sight of them :p
u74sQR0.gif

The planks are up there (no pun intended) with the not-quite-first-person FREE Battles in Beverly Hills Wharf as the stupidest design decisions in the game. Worst of all, you have to start right from the bottom floor if you fuck up just once, which essentially encourages the player to save before each plank, thereby nullifying organic trial-and-error by exploiting a system outside of the mechanics.

Save before each, resetting on XBOX/XBOX ONE/PS4 certainly isn't as quick or organic as soft reboot on Dreamcast, but still an option. Also, i don't mind first person fighting. They are even more sporadic than all the planks.

Besides, practice fighting from all angles, so as not to get get stuck only thinking about them in one 2D direction; think of them much more like cardinal directions or RE tank controls. Easy switch, honestly. While stuck in a corner of either park or warehouse #4 (3?) in Shenmue, you can get very accustomed to pressing up/down for moves rather than left/right.

Save before each, resetting on XBOX/XBOX ONE/PS4 certainly isn't as quick or organic as soft reboot on Dreamcast, but still an option.

Resetting on original Xbox/360 is just as easy as on Dreamcast (hold BACK and START together).

Resetting in the re-release is much faster despite requiring menuing simply because the game loads in 3 seconds instead of 30.

Resetting on original Xbox/360 is just as easy as on Dreamcast (hold BACK and START together).

Resetting in the re-release is much faster despite requiring menuing simply because the game loads in 3 seconds instead of 30.

Good point, didn't think of the menu option. totoally forgot about 360 even playing BC or the controller reset for either.

Any easy way to get across the planks in shenmue 2? The controls don’t seem to match the online guide at all.

Think I found it out. I was doing it in reverse. Lol
I've actually written them down for eternity while failing them and put them in the Dreamcast game case.
The notes come in handy whenever I replay Shenmue 2

This thread speaks to something deep within my soul. My hatred for the planks knows no bounds. Having horrifying flashbacks to young me being in a state of despair after messing it up for the 100th time.

I love to bring this up whenever anyone complains about the planks . :LOL:

No Ren scenes is a no go for me anyways :sneaky:

But yes, planks. Though it bothered me more on the DC (blame long loading times). It'd be neat with a training progress, yes! Do the books, get more reaction time.

Back