110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

I see Suzuki as a sort of Terence Malick (cinema) or Scott Walker (music) equivalent; each have spent years out in the wilderness, but their prior work is held to such a high degree that whilst they'll never make blockbuster money, within the context of their respective industires, their work will be held in high regard. And even though money talks; in many respects art wins over commerce.

Maybe i'm being poetic and romantic about it, but I think there's room in the industry for such artistic statements; especially in this homogonised age.
Warner Brothers used to have a separated budget for Stanley Kubrick, who signed exclusively with them (without creative freedom restrictions).
WB scheduled their comercial projects for competing every year while saving some millions of dollars for the master's project.
They didn't even demanded his movie having success, the company loved him and this it became a safe for the movie lovers having Kubrick's creations just because that was what the world fairly deserved.
We need a Warner Bros in game industry doing that with Yu Suzuki. Its a matter of unargable justice.

I'm guessing you weren't part of the 'I've been waiting for S3 since the Dreamcast days' crowd. :LOL: We still have 15 more years to go before we reach that same level of 'It aint gonna happen'.

I was lol.

Again though, it's a totally different set of circumstances. You generally have one chance for a comeback and then you make it work and strike while the iron is hot, so to speak. If a publisher was interested in Shenmue IV it would have happened the second Shenmue III was released and we would already know about it, because the game would have been announced by now.

The fact Deep Silver was like "yeah... no, we're good thanks" and the fact YS have had to go around trying to get a publisher since 2019, instead of them practically biting YSNet's hands off, should tell you everything.

I'm not saying it definitely won't happen and maybe 110 have got something signed behind closed doors and a reveal will happen this year. I'm just saying the likelihood decreases with each passing day and there is a very good chance that we will be in the exact same position next year, in which case the only logical thing to assume then is this was 110 just using the attention and rumours to promote themselves.

In three months it will have been THREE whole years since Shenmue III was released and we have literally nothing to suggest Shenmue IV is happening. Not to be a downer, but I don't see how that can be spun in a positive way.

Here we go. The reasons as to why Shenmue cannot be done in a 1 hour Anime finale!

I relate to those fans seeing more than the eye meet in Shenmue. The 'Iñigo Montoya' McGuffin gets displaced to a secondary place at many times by love in many forms, folklore and supernatural elements. We have the shadow of the Four Perils and the Elixir of Youth (associated to China last emperor) just to name a few layers.
Sure it treats revenge among other human natures but not uses it in a straightforward way as Kill Bill or Fist of Fury.
Its very important that you guys named like in bold font Shen Hua. Reminding she acts like some kind of allegory until we meet her at Shenmue 2 GD4.
I bet you already noticed the similiraties between that dreamy Shen Hua and classical females Eurydice, Beatrice, Dulcinea... All this woman represents the sophy, the ultímate wisdom or the truth of things, in its core or more pure essence.

Entirely different circumstances.

It's been barely 3 years since Shenmue 3 released. We've had a successful anime since then. It was near 20 years to reach this point. There's still plenty of time for Shenmue 4 to get announced. I hate that people are giving up hope because they haven't heard anything yet. It's crazy. We've been through much worse times.

Last edited:
Shenmue 4 has been pitched to publishers presumably since 2020

Ysnet are open, have expanded and are working on projects

Shenmue just had a successful anime.

All the recently released Shenmue titles made profit. Even Shenmue 3.

Id even argue that Shenmue is ysnet's cashcow.

I wouldn't worry. Let them work and not show anything until its ready. We can't have a repeat of the kickstarter nonsense.

We had plenty of Shenmue this year already. While i am hopeful we hear something at TGS, i wouldn't be surprised if there's no announcement until 2024. Its sad but if thats what needs to be done, then so be it.

All in all i doubt suzuki would leave us hanging if the series was finally dead. Pretty sure we would have heard something.

Stay strong dojo

I'm just wishing that we know even a little nugget. The no concrete plans was shocking to hear Yu say.

At some point I stopped following the saga, but I believe the story went that a churnalist ran with "no concrete plans" headline based on comments during the Japanese anime launch event, the other churnalists repeated it, and it was treated like a quote from Yu rather than conjecture.
I see. Well. damn.

One of my main worries is that Suzuki-san is nearing his mid-60's. This is unusual for our hobby, because modern gaming is only 50 years old whereas other art forms have been around for centuries or older, so Suzuki and his contemporaries (like Miyamoto, Kojima etc) are in unprecetended waters. I believe that he will want to continue long into old age, but I can't help but feel nervous at times that he could get unwell or ill as time goes on.

I do believe that if (when) Shenmue IV is announced, it will be released within a year of announcement. That train of thought is what is keeping me going at the moment 🙏

Back