Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

Last I heard he was wanting the same budget as he did for 3 ($20 mill).
With all the tools/assets in place from 3, that's quite a big amount, so I'm wondering if he's looking to wrap it up in the fourth game or get as much story squeezed in as possible.
Where did you get that from? cedric said they are looking for a bigger budget to meet the market’s expectations (not only fans)

Last edited:
Even though Shenmue 3 was a game with a modern engine and was beautiful for 2019, people still found flaws like vendor models loading late and such. Now imagine what it would be like if the same graphics were released for the PS5 in 2024-2025. You've seen what Spiderman 2 looks like I guess. It will be very difficult for YSNET (without money) to make competitive PS5 graphics. On the other hand, at least they might finally stop comparing Shenmue 3/4's graphics to the big budget 100 million+ games. I personally don't need prettier graphics than Shenmue 3's.

Even though Shenmue 3 was a game with a modern engine and was beautiful for 2019, people still found flaws like vendor models loading late and such. Now imagine what it would be like if the same graphics were released for the PS5 in 2024-2025. You've seen what Spiderman 2 looks like I guess. It will be very difficult for YSNET (without money) to make competitive PS5 graphics. On the other hand, at least they might finally stop comparing Shenmue 3/4's graphics to the big budget 100 million+ games. I personally don't need prettier graphics than Shenmue 3's.
What do you think shenmue 4’s graphics will look like?

Yes, exactly that. We don't need latest tech. Shenmue 3 was very beautiful on it's own and the constant comparisons to the big blockbusters closed people's eyes to the beauty of the game.

We need low budget treatment to the review scores. This is not red dead redemption, last of us 2, yakuza or anything like that. I remember getting mad at some of my friends for making fun of how the fighters in front of the dojo next to the Hotel Niaowo are loaded one by one and finally the master in front of them loads too…. Or how the buildings across the river look like movie sets. :LOL: You can always turn a blind eye to how much they've done with a small team and budget and go for something less polished. These flaws, even if they exist, are unimportant things to me.

I'm telling you straight. If Shenmue 4 is as beautiful as Shenmue 3 and the details are on the same level, I will be more than happy. From my point of view, Shenmue 3 exceeded my expectations graphically.

Yes, exactly that. We don't need latest tech. Shenmue 3 was very beautiful on it's own and the constant comparisons to the big blockbusters closed people's eyes to the beauty of the game.

We need low budget treatment to the review scores. This is not red dead redemption, last of us 2, yakuza or anything like that. I remember getting mad at some of my friends for making fun of how the fighters in front of the dojo next to the Hotel Niaowo are loaded one by one and finally the master in front of them loads too…. Or how the buildings across the river look like movie sets. :LOL: You can always turn a blind eye to how much they've done with a small team and budget and go for something less polished. These flaws, even if they exist, are unimportant things to me.

I'm telling you straight. If Shenmue 4 is as beautiful as Shenmue 3 and the details are on the same level, I will be more than happy. From my point of view, Shenmue 3 exceeded my expectations graphically.
Yeah even for me it exceeded my expectations but i think if yu wants to make a game that’s better or same level as 1&2 he needs a $50-60M budget

I'm not sure why everyone doesn't view Shenmue 3 and beyond threw this lenses. Shortcomings of Shenmue 3 were due to small development team and limited budget. I believe Shenmue 4&5 will be the same quality just more polished. Moving forward we have to have realistic expectations we are in a different market with limited resources but Yu can and will still give us the best Shenmue experience he can.

I'm not sure why everyone doesn't view Shenmue 3 and beyond threw this lenses. Shortcomings of Shenmue 3 were due to small development team and limited budget. I believe Shenmue 4&5 will be the same quality just more polished. Moving forward we have to have realistic expectations we are in a different market with limited resources but Yu can and will still give us the best Shenmue experience he can.
I hope 4 isn’t the same quality as 3

Why do you think they’ll be the same quality?

@BruceWayne911 I think shenmue 4 could be better than 3 i feel like yu’s vision was compromised and heavily influenced by fans to include mini games and more of that than the story as it shows from his interviews so i think shenmue 4 definitely has the potential to be better than 3 it will most likely have a higher budget and on top of that all the assets are already there

Shenmue 3 had those comparisons because 1. A lot of fans and the media, rightly or wrongly, treated it as some kind of legendary series that is on a par with massive budget franchises like Final Fantasy, Zelda, The Last of Us and so on. 2. It was released with a - what was it? - 50 dollar price tag or something?

People should have been comparing it to more niche AA series, like the Sherlock Holmes or Syberia games. I guess another issue is just how goofy and janky it looked at times. I think the environments looked great and I honestly appreciated the very HD Dreamcasty look and feel of the game. I just think people should have got their expectations in check and that the game would have been released at a lower price point. But the marketing was also an issue. Most of the trailers were crap.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake shared the same issues of model and textures loading late, it's an UE4 issue.

But looking at the newest Metal Gear Solid 3 remake trailer made with Unreal Engine 5, I think that a simple engine change UE4 -> UE5 will be enough to grant Shenmue 4 a graphics on par with current generations.
Maybe not AAA Spiderman 2 but also not indie level, more like AA level, that is perfect for us.

Back