Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I'm right there with you, but we are talking about China, that they're trying to censor everything.
And one big market to take into account (China had one of the first SIII talks if I remember).

I don't think there'll be censoring, but just a fear.

I'm right there with you, but we are talking about China, that they're trying to censor everything.
And one big market to take into account (China had one of the first SIII talks if I remember).

I don't think there'll be censoring, but just a fear.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see. According to Wikipedia, China banned Football Manager 2005 because it recognised Taiwan and Tibet as independent countries. Wow...

Yeah, censorship in all forms of media a massive thing in most parts of China. But non-Chinese developers tend to adapt the international release for the Chinese market and not the other way around.

We don't need to worry about any Chinese censorship making it into our copies of III.

Yu Suzuki-sama isn’t still sleeping in his studio to create compromised art. Thankfully, Shenmue III will convey more truth than disinformation...

So after all the stick the Shenmue 3 team received for the provisional specs identifying that you may need 100gb of space for Shenmue 3, it has been announced that Red Dead Redemption 2 will require 105gb of space!

So after all the stick the Shenmue 3 team received for the provisional specs identifying that you may need 100gb of space for Shenmue 3, it has been announced that Red Dead Redemption 2 will require 105gb of space!
Shenmue is a whipping boy for the games media, whereas Red Dead Redemption 2 is the one whipping the games media. In their world of hypocrisy and contradiction, they can jab at the former in order to generate a few outrage clicks without much recourse, but if they did the same to the latter? Well, they wouldn't dare because their audience would rip them a new one for being so pernickety. They might be scared about losing future deals, too.

The tone and attitude of the press and mindless zombie casual members of the public is quite irritating though.

"Holy shit, Red Dead Redemption 2 is going to be the biggest game ever! 105gb? It must be huge and amazing!"

"Holy shit, Shenmue 3 needs 100gb of space? So I bet the game won't really be on the disc and the majority of the data will have to be downloaded. The team must be incompetent and not know how to compress data properly"

The tone and attitude of the press and mindless zombie casual members of the public is quite irritating though.

"Holy shit, Red Dead Redemption 2 is going to be the biggest game ever! 105gb? It must be huge and amazing!"

"Holy shit, Shenmue 3 needs 100gb of space? So I bet the game won't really be on the disc and the majority of the data will have to be downloaded. The team must be incompetent and not know how to compress data properly"
When all is said and done, Shenmue III, I estimate, is going to be in the 50GB ballpark, and no-one will bat an eye. As I said: outrage clicks. Anything to drum up controversy, especially when they're shit-flinging at an easy target.

Don't know what's the deal though.
My instalation of final fantasy xv is 150 gigs on pc, and on ps4 I had the disk, and nevertheless it was occupying 97 gigs (around that).
I was playing Syberia 3, kinda broken navigation and UI, shitty unity performance (I really hope with 2018 render pipelines they start to make things not chug everywhere, I guess that texture streaming is a big plus), but I really like the character models here, that's a good mix between stylized and realistic, just couldn't stop thinking about SIII.

I read that Sony isn't going to celebrate its PSX event this year to save costs. Are there any other events this year in which we could see Shenmue 3 again? I can't see an update in the kickstarter page with some gameplay trailer soon...

Rumors are churning from some folks in the know that PSX is being let go because of both negative reception from last year's format, plus possibility of PS5s confirmation in 2019.

The only opportunities for Shenmue III to show this year at a venue are Paris Games Week and the VGAs. Of those, only the former is likely.

I'm hoping we will see a meaty update by the year's end. I'm sure they are very nose-to-the-grindstone now with a hard date to meet, but we need to see some gameplay or other areas before too long.

Outside of that, our biggest shot to see the game will be MAGIC in February and E3 2019.

Rumors are churning from some folks in the know that PSX is being let go because of both negative reception from last year's format, plus possibility of PS5s confirmation in 2019.
Nah, it was just because they have nothing to show to make it worthwhile. I'm going to end up repeating myself partially but I made a post back in July where I suggested there would be no PSX this year:
https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/i...-fit-if-s3-is-a-gamescom-no-show.91/post-1163

I went the past two years and had a lot of fun, but the majority of the show floor consists of Sony's big upcoming titles. Last year it was Detroit, Shadow of the Colossus remake, Spiderman, God of War, and Days Gone with the last 3 not even having the games playable there. Sony's stuff makes up over half of the show floor, all of the large booths with elaborate attractions were theirs, and they don't really have enough upcoming first party titles to warrant a big show this time.

They have Days Gone, that had a booth last year with nothing playable. They have Dreams, that had a booth last year with nothing playable. They have Death Stranding, that didn't have a booth last year but did have a presence in the form of an hour long panel. The former two games I believe have playable trade show demos now, but they're not enough to carry a dedicated event. They haven't announced any new first party AAA titles this year that are coming out in 2019 and worthy of carrying a show.

I don't think the format had anything to do with it not happening this year; I didn't like having to watch the Friday thing from my hotel room having flown half way across the country to attend, but the show itself was unchanged. I do think PSX is likely to happen next year once they've announced the PS5 and exclusives that they will want to show off there. It's Sony's private show and they won't hold it unless they have content to hold it up.

Outside of that, our biggest shot to see the game will be MAGIC in February and E3 2019.
Cedric already indicated that he wants the game at MAGIC next year, he asked on Twitter what people would want to see if Shenmue 3 was there. I don't believe he confirmed that it will be there, but rather his question implies that he wants it to be.

I wish there was a smaller North America-based event that it could have a presence at, but that seems unlikely. PSX, despite the long line to get inside, is much less crowded than popular events like E3 and PAX. And it was easy to get tickets for and there were plenty of hotels in walking distance. For me it's not worth going overseas by myself for almost a week just to attend a 1 day event featuring one game and some other small stuff. I've considered PAX Australia as an overseas game convention I'd be willing to attend because that is easy to get tickets for and reasonably sized, but I don't think MAGIC is worth over 14 hours of jet lag and lost vacation days for me. ? (Only thing to make it worth it would be if I people I knew were interested in visiting France for a week around that time, but that's not happening.)

Isn't MAGIC debuting a Kyoto show this year....? Might Shenmue 3 be there at least with screenshots you think?

Isn't MAGIC debuting a Kyoto show this year....? Might Shenmue 3 be there at least with screenshots you think?
It'd be nice to have at least some screenshots. It's an event in japan so it'd be odd to not have the biggest proyect of Shibuya there.

I assumed it wasn't happening this year since the last I heard of it they were planning October, then nothing. But it looks like the website went live 2 days ago, and it's being held November 10th in Kyoto.
https://www.magic.kyoto/program/

Current announcements indicate it's anime focused, with a round table and conference. Yu Suzuki and Shenmue are not mentioned. It is possible the event with focus on Cedric's main business of anime stuff.

I assumed it wasn't happening this year since the last I heard of it they were planning October, then nothing. But it looks like the website went live 2 days ago, and it's being held November 10th in Kyoto.
https://www.magic.kyoto/program/

Current announcements indicate it's anime focused, with a round table and conference. Yu Suzuki and Shenmue are not mentioned. It is possible the event with focus on Cedric's main business of anime stuff.

Yeah, good point. Safe to say Magic Manaco 2019 will be next showing, and for good reason...

If we go by the bad ending of both games, Lan Di will actively seek Ryo out/hunt him down once he discovers he has the Phoenix mirror.

Chai is the only associate of Lan Di (that we know of) who actually knows about the existence of a second mirror and that Ryo has it, so it does make me wonder if his role in Shenmue 3 will be to inform Lan Di of this.

It would be awesome when there would be guardians of the mirrors. The Mirrors navigates to the place where the Treasure is. What is when there would be guardians who wants to defend that treasure? It's just a daydream but i think it is interesting.

If we go by the bad ending of both games, Lan Di will actively seek Ryo out/hunt him down once he discovers he has the Phoenix mirror.

Chai is the only associate of Lan Di (that we know of) who actually knows about the existence of a second mirror and that Ryo has it, so it does make me wonder if his role in Shenmue 3 will be to inform Lan Di of this.
Don't forget: "That creepy skinhead, he took him out to the ship," referring to Chai having an interaction with Lan Di before the latter set off for Hong Kong, which means it is entirely possible Chai informed Lan Di of Ryo's possession of the Phoenix Mirror at this time. Unless Chai simply wished to present the Mirror to him in a surprise fashion himself? The latter would certainly have more of an impact than simply informing Lan Di of the Mirror being in Ryo's possession.

Which begs the question: if Lan Di knew of this, why did he not kill Ryo atop the Yellow Head Building and take the Mirror? Perhaps Lan Di knows Ryo will continue to pursue him - he went as far as Hong Kong, then Kowloon, and I'm guessing he suspects Ryo will find his way to Guilin, too - and, under the assumption Yuanda Zhu told Ryo the truth about the Mirrors (which he, himself, isn't privvy to) following the events atop the building, plans to cut out the middle-man and kill two birds with one stone by biding his time, waiting for Ryo to confront him face-to-face, at which point he will take the Mirror and squeeze the truth out of Ryo, possibly with a friend's (read: Ren's) life on the line, mirroring (no pun intended) Iwao giving up the location of the Dragon Mirror in exchange for Ryo's life.

Thoughts?

Back