Magic Monaco Press Conference March 9th 2019 Part 2 Discussion and Reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kept getting a 500 server error for the past half hour!

Trailer looks great! So many details to pore over. And speaking of pores... the characters' skin textures are amazing. I've been watching it in slow motion on Youtube and you can see how subtle and detailed some of the character animation is. Loving the chickens and butterflies. Spotted a couple of capsule machines in the shot where the old woman is saying "that's ancient history." Did y'all notice the button prompts when Ryo is striking the training dummy? The top button is marked as "?" for some reason. The subtitle font is very similar to the Dreamcast logo font.

The trailer was truly epic. OMG I almost cried watching it I am very impressed the way it looks and play the only thing that makes nervous is that they didn't show the release date at the end of the trailer.

Had a really difficult time watching it - But I have managed!

Well... turned out alright didn't it!

I will say, I felt the trailer was lacking a proper hook to the story - I mostly gathered that Chi You Men lackies raided the village and Ryo wants to get Stronger from a loss.

I'm pleased to see the investigative element in the conversation focused, that is the core of Shenmue's gameplay and I am glad it has not be resorted to jsut ingame cutscene events but NPCs yuo can interact with - I know that sounds silly, but this is a KickStarter game!

Also, Ryo's facial animations are still lacking... on the plus side I loved the new beefcake and his mullet! And I think they've nailed Lan Di (Which I guess is from a nightmare sequence again) & Shenhua looks pretty perfect in my eye.

From the what we saw of the combat, I was content, it looked fine - though of course it was hardly in-game like the screenshot we saw earlier, still I am not worried about it.

Yes, I also noted the Capsule Toy Machines in the background and squealed!

Overall pretty pleased, but still left wanting more, this trailer seems like something that should have been released last year... I was kind of hoping for a proper in-game demonstration at Magic 2019... I can't say i am not happy with what we got, as I am but I can't help but want more...

Last edited:
On the whole I liked it, but I think the characters look a bit washed out in the daylight scenes. I imagine this is down to video compression, as they look much better indoors. I'm also not crazy about some of the NPCs, the guy opening the door and the old master to be specific. The big guy at the start and the kid look fine though.

Sorry I am late to the party! Spent an hour fighting against the Dojo’s server lol. But holy shit man that trailer was FUCKING AMAZING! Words cannot express how I am feeling right now this just made my day. August cannot come soon enough. Thank you everyone for keeping the hope alive all these years today is your victory today is our miracle!

Sorry I am late to the party! Spent an hour fighting against the Dojo’s server lol. But holy shit man that trailer was FUCKING AMAZING! Words cannot express how I am feeling right now this just made my day. August cannot come soon enough. Thank you everyone for keeping the hope alive all these years today is your victory today is our miracle!

Sorry for the double post, thought my original post didn’t go through.

Last edited:
The trailer is very good! The game just needs some polish and the time left until release gives them plenty of time. I saw a constant frame rate, beautiful scenery, very good character models, appropriate and good sounding voice actors and appropriate animation. Yes the facial animation needs some work etc but it's no big deal.

The trailer is good enough to provide positive press coverage and that's good too! I have heard negativity from a number of people and I dont understand their degree of pessimism.

*edit for double post, sorry*

Last edited:
I don't think that was a very good trailer but I liked what I saw and am reassured by it, if that makes any sense. I loved hearing Ryo's familiar voice and seeing characters in motion, but there wasn't really a narrative to the trailer; had I not known about Shenmue at all I would've walked away from that completely ambivalent. They should have added some more cinematics, even if it just meant rehashing some of the scenes from the last teaser.

The combat looks good; Shenhua and Lan Di look pretty amazing; Ryo not so much but I can live with it at this point.

What we saw definitely felt like a Shenmue game so I think the trailer overall was a win. Just not a great promotional tool.

You guys are murdering this poor website lol.

Trailer looked incredible! Obviously some little things here and there like lip-syncing still needs a bit of work, but overall this is a massive, massive step up from anything we've seen.

You guys are murdering this poor website lol.

Trailer looked incredible! Obviously some little things here and there like lip-syncing still needs a bit of work, but overall this is a massive, massive step up from anything we've seen.

That trailer was FANTASTIC. It looks so good. Sure it still needs some polish in certain areas, but damn this is the Shenmue we've been waiting for.

I've watched it about 20 times. So good.

We were promised gameplay and got like 5 seconds of fighting... Where is the damn gameplay? Why can they show it to the press but not the public? It not being final isnt really an excuse, as the trailer says not final as well.

Its not a bad trailer but Cedric seriously needs to learn to be more honest. I have defended him so many times before now but I feel he was being disingenuous when he said the trailer would feature actual gameplay, or is there something lost in translation and he thinks cutscenes is gameplay.

I am very pleased with the trailer. The art direction is spot on and you can feel the world. Also the cinematic feel is there and the Shenmue vibe, which is the most important point for me. Lan-Di is frightening and gorgeously crafted. The environments are stunning and i like the suburban vibe at the door at night.

Only two things: The lip-sync bothered me, but that was one of the last points on the production with kickstarter titles like Kingdom Come and i am not worried about it to disappear completely as we progress further towards the release. Some animations seem off. But besides that it was a great trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back