Magic Monaco Press Conference March 9th 2019 Part 2 Discussion and Reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dojo was down for some ours for me,o_O finally I can say my opinion on the trailer . I really enjoyed it. The combat moves look quit e fluid and great and the landscape was awesome.

Ryo, Shenhua and also Lan Di looked great.

Also the look of Shenhua was funny when she was looking at guy that beat ryo at the beginning of the trailer. I almost thought she will us her powers as seen the Project Berkley Trailer.

man this board was down for ages. can i finally post something? o_O
1814a36aba025a1067ffb6c127bef3c481fc3772.gif

It is so weird seeing a Shenmue game with more modern production values. That's the first thing that springs to my mind when I watch the trailer. Also, I love the way the combat looks. If it plays as well as it appears in those brief clips I'll be very happy. It has that choreography that feels like a dance in the same way that a kung-fu movie often would. Loved how fluid and smooth the blocking looked, as well as Ryo's kick.

The sound recording compared to what I've been playing through with the re-releases sounds nice and crisp too. Seeing Ryo's and other character's faces emote was great as well. I'm glad we've been given only a glimpse of a certain part of the story, which means there's still plenty of surprises left for when the game comes. I'm sure there will be one more buzz trailer about a month or so before the actual release (although I could be wrong.) But I have to say that I'm encouraged by what I've seen, and quietly optimistic.

This might sound a little strange as well. But some of the character designs remind me a fair bit of how characters in Ghibli films can sometimes look. Which isn't a complaint, and also makes me wonder if the game will start to lean a little more into the mystical side.

So yes! I'm very curious to see where this will be going. I've not looked too much into the information from the rest of the conference yet, but I will be curious to give it a read now that I've seen the trailer.

Managed to crawl to page 36 like a wounded Ryo to his dying father.

Only two thoughts for now:
a. Some, seeming to be subtly disappointed, have noted that the prophecy trailer was more of a trailer than this. That may well be, but I think this provided just the juicy morsel we needed: cutscenes showing models and fighting in motion, a hint at the investigative nature.
b. Personally, I'm glad to see it confirmed that Ryo's still getting the tar knocked out of him sometimes. I've always hoped the series will be a long period of growth, a slow drip, rather than some magical moment in which he becomes OP in style/mentality.

i like the art style, i think ryo looks great, some of the other character model maybe look a little bit like
they are from disney or pixar oder whatever but its okay, fighting looked great too.

BUT!

i wanted to see real gameplay at least for a couple of seconds,
you know like the classic camera behind ryo how hes walking around a village and then he turns around
because shenhua is calling his name or something like that.
i want to see how the camera movement looks and how the village npcs are animated and so on.
there is nothing of that in the trailer.

The Prophecy teaser gave more of a general story overview, but this was so much more meat and potatoes of what's actually going to be happening in the game, and IMO what we needed as opposed to a "cinematic" style trailer.

It was a seriously abridged version of a lot of the opening questlines we read about in EDGE. At least that's how it looked to me.

My favorite scene is the visit at night! I get a Hazuki Dojo Basement Vibe from it.

Attachments

• shenmue-iii-5c8429ddf31e6.jpg
    shenmue-iii-5c8429ddf31e6.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 17
I liked what I saw a lot. I have no doubts I will enjoy this game thoroughly.

However, I really don’t understand whomever is in charge of promoting this game. This game needs to get new people interested for it to succeed. While people familiar with Shenmue will get this trailer, I just don’t see how anyone that knows nothing about this game would get excited after seeing this trailer. I really want this game to succeed and I just don’t understand this decision to basically just show a bunch of random conversations and basically no enemies or major battle scenes. Very strange decisions.

Looking forward to playing the game and I’ll keep my fingers crossed that they will have a much better trailer soon.

Alright.

So.

1. I cannot believe I saw GAMEPLAY footage from Shenmue III.
2. That the gameplay footage matched my wildest dreams.
3. I LOVE the graphics and don't mind the new Shenhua design anymore, although I'd love the option to throw in her old costume for kicks as an option for those of us who that want it.
4. I'm shocked at how well this looks for such a small team and with such a small budget.
5. I think the lip syncing could be better but that's about it.
6. I do NOT like the cutscene direction. The zoom in on Shenhua's face, the anime sound effects. The cutscene direction is a sizable step back from I and II which still have some of the best cinematography in a game. It also makes the tone look more comical. If I have any complaint it's that. DO NOT LIKE.
7. I'm surprised they haven't done a full reveal of the game, like a demo, or showed off gameplay more but it is what it is and we have 5 months.
8. I'm really pleased by the overall positive reaction on Reset Era.
9. THE TRIPLE KICK COMBO IS BACK AND
nkr7Imz.gif

However, I really don’t understand whomever is in charge of promoting this game. This game needs to get new people interested for it to succeed. While people familiar with Shenmue will get this trailer, I just don’t see how anyone that knows nothing about this game would get excited after seeing this trailer. I really want this game to succeed and I just don’t understand this decision to basically just show a bunch of random conversations and basically no enemies or major battle scenes. Very strange decisions.
Consider what kind of event MAGIC is, and that this is really only the start of a proper promotional push for the game.

This trailer was very much a pile of red meat for the fans to enjoy, rather than something to try selling the concept to a wider audience. There are more appropriate times and venues to do that.

Consider what kind of event MAGIC is, and that this is really only the start of a proper promotional push for the game.

This trailer was very much a pile of red meat for the fans to enjoy, rather than something to try selling the concept to a wider audience. There are more appropriate times and venues to do that.

I think there is no release date, because the Magic Monaco trailer is "just" something like a small appetizer
for all the fans who cant wait any longer and want to see as much as possible.

Deep Silver isnt even uploading the trailer, they just linked the kickstarter page with the update.
Also from the Kickstarter update: "... but please rest assured that production is steadily moving forward"

Dont read the comments on Kickstarter, there are some really really really harsh ones.

This was found on the backer page

I waited 20 years, I hoped and gave $ 300 in the Kickstarter campaign. Despite the mockery of the first images, I gave you my confidence.
In the end, no, I'm sorry, it's disgusting. Everything is ugly. Absolutely everything! And it's really not a question of money. Just talent.
Many independent developers do better with less money and staff. Even a hobo can do better under Unreal Engine 4.
Still, you hired the Korean person who did a wonderful job of posting youtube videos of shenmue 1 with the Unreal Engine 4. Where is he? What is he doing?
etween the facial and body animations, and the faces really strange and disgusting (especially npc), I can not vimient immerse myself in this universe.
And I sincerely hope that the camera will not have this position during the fighting, how to fight in such conditions?
I prefer to replay Shenmue 1 and 2 forever that review this trailer .... maybe even tear my eyes. And to all those who say that it does not matter .... do not forget that love makes you blind and a little stupid.

I want to be refunded please.

Did he, uh, watch the same trailer as me? What does he expect?

Thoughts?
Rolled my eyes when Yakuza got brought up as a comparison. Yakuza is SEGA's most expensive series, so it's not a fair comparison on cost at ALL - and the general animations in Yakuza side quests and outside of cutscenes looks pretty basic and honestly a lot worse than anything seen in this trailer. Just mouth bobbing open and closed.

Hot take is right, because they've clearly not really put the time into thinking about this.

I think they were over blowing the problems in the game. One of them said "There is zero facial animations", and I face palmed so hard. There obviously is, although some scenes seemed to lack them. Gotta implement them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back