Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I don't mean to be a dick, but I recently played Kiwami 2 hot off the heels of S1+2 HD. The whole time I couldn't stop thinking how much better Shenmue's combat is, lmao. I still love Yakuza, it's its own thing in that department, but man the combat in Shenmue is so freaking satisfying.

Keep Shenmue far away from Yakuza.
Yes. Yes, yes. A crossover is a fun pipe dream... but I hope it never actually happens.

I feel the series are incompatible on a fundamental level and would mess with each other's vibes if smashed together. I'm also incredibly skeptical of people lobbying to turn Shenmue into Yakuza; as I'm sure Yakuza fans would be if the shoe were on the other foot.

Hope this isn't anybody on here, but I saw someone on Twitter saying Shenmue should have more battles like Yakuza, and I couldn't think of anything worse. The thing that has bothered me most playing 0, Kiwami, and Kiwami 2 over less than a year has been how quickly the battle system wears out its welcome, because you're constantly getting into fights. Even outside the random battles, it seems every minor story beat resolves in a fight, as do the side quests.

Really made me appreciate Shenmue's "less is more" approach.

I don't mean to be a dick, but I recently played Kiwami 2 hot off the heels of S1+2 HD. The whole time I couldn't stop thinking how much better Shenmue's combat is, lmao. I still love Yakuza, it's its own thing in that department, but man the combat in Shenmue is so freaking satisfying.
I feel like it's sacrilege to say this in the wrong place, but I agree. What really bothers me is that even with maxed out stats and skills, battles against random mooks feel like they go on way, way too long. Kiwami 1 was much worse for it with Majima Everywhere on higher levels.

A fight feels like an event in Shenmue, not just a roadblock to the part of the map you're running to.

The less Yakuza aspects in Shenmue, the better. Hate how that series has skewed the discourse around some gaming cycles when it comes to Shenmue. The "Yakuza is Shenmue but actually good" narrative it's so agrivating to hear and it has made me heavily wish that series never happened.

I disagree. Fighters Megamix 2:Shenmue vs Yakuza has too many Sega dream fights I would love to see.

Kiryu vs Lan Di
Majima vs Ren
Guizhang vs Nishiki
Xiuying vs Sayama
Ryuichi Goda vs Lan Di
Kiryu vs Ryo

Throw in Bayonetta and some Fighting Vipers characters and you have an absolute banger!

You know what, though?

I absolutely love the Shenmue series, as many of us do here. That being said, I would enjoy seeing the Angry Video Game Nerd go in on it for a video. He did Seaman!

"Yakuza is the new Shenmue" is the same thing as "Yakuza is GTA in Japan" or "Nioh is the japanese Dark Souls".
None of that is true but still a lot of people are using it to describe these games.

I like all 5 of these games but the description people are using make no sense.

I've never played any Yakuza game, but i've watched reviews of them
They Don't seem a bad games at all, but they don't evoque the heart Shenmue does. Not even close.
I know it was said here a million times before but there is nothing like Shenmue. Tha's a fact. period.
Also, I thought all of us were beyond this "Shenmue ~ Yakuza" conversation, as is one of the most beaten up conversations topics of all time amoung us fans. haha

You know what, though?

I absolutely love the Shenmue series, as many of us do here. That being said, I would enjoy seeing the Angry Video Game Nerd go in on it for a video. He did Seaman!

I'm surprised he hasn't yet. I actually have a feeling he will do it around the release of Shenmue III. I have to find the episode but he does pull out and showcase a magazine with Shenmue on the cover. It's either the DC magazine or the TV Guide I can't remember. As much as I love Shenmue, It would make perfect material for an AVGN episode if he does the english dub.

I played Yakuza games. There are indeed similarities in the sense that you play a Japanese guy, you have convenience store, free roaming in a city and fights.

That's about all. Yakuza is over the top and goofy. It has the same map since Yakuza 1. The tone, the gameplay, the focus is entirely different. Yakuza is more like a beat em up with a bit of RPG. Shenmue is an adventure game with combats. Also Shenmue is far more ambitious when it comes to world building and map.

People who prefers Yakuza basically wants an overdose of action, badass and over the top goofy things.

Don't get me wrong, I like Yakuza just fine. I just think it and Shenmue should stay within their respective realms, because beyond limited cosmetic similarities they are very different games with very different aims.

Having a little trip down memory lane and dug out the shitty GIFs I made back in 2015 to promote the series in the NeoGAF thread for the Kickstarter.

sequence06rdkjl.gif

sequence05igkvb.gif

combat_3aykpv.gif

Back