Marketing Shenmue III

Me too.

So many good opportunities for great guerrilla marketing.

Deep Silver needs to tap into this community.

Please no 'anime fan at prom night' for Shenmue 3, DS.

Great to see this being made into a topic, refreshing to see something positive here after the last few weeks!!

I'd love to get involved in any way, shape or form. I'm pretty proficient at video editing, graphic design, etc. I could look at making an asset pack for the series, perhaps some After Effects templates.

Somewhat unrelated, but my missus is a reasonably popular Japanese YouTuber and we're planning to feature Shenmue III on her channel in a "how much did you spend?!" kind of video closer to launch. Her audience is entirely Japanese, but every little helps!

They should market it as a "slice-of-life adventure game" to make sure the right people get in. How many people believe they don't like adventure games or quit gaming without knowing games such as Shenmue do exist? A good marketing should convince people that Shenmue is different in its own.

Great to see so many people willing to help out.

I think a good first step would be for us to put our heads together and agree upon why we love the first two games to establish what exactly will be covered in the first video. Hopefully we get some mixed responses, but I think we should be looking at between five and seven areas to keep the video short and snappy.

From there, those willing to edit can start putting together 30-60 second videos highlighting these areas/features and we can start collating audio recordings from those who want their voices in the video.

I’d also like to hear from anybody who could translate from English. I can definitely cover Chinese translation and Japanese too if needed, but would be particularly interested in hearing from anybody that is fluent in French, German or Spanish and would be willing to help out with subtitles.

First thing’s first, please could people complete the following sentence and add a second sentence explaining why.

The thing that I love most about Shenmue is the...

I would like a retro trailer...
Shenmue 3 trailers are aweful, especially the last one.

They doing a terrible job.

While trailers like these were so exiting and moving...

Even Shenmue I & II trailer was better!

This one is absolute perfection. No need for action, characters, just the feel and atmosphere of Shenmue world.

I think a good first step would be for us to put our heads together and agree upon why we love the first two games to establish what exactly will be covered in the first video. Hopefully we get some mixed responses, but I think we should be looking at between five and seven areas to keep the video short and snappy.

From there, those willing to edit can start putting together 30-60 second videos highlighting these areas/features and we can start collating audio recordings from those who want their voices in the video.

I’d also like to hear from anybody who could translate from English. I can definitely cover Chinese translation and Japanese too if needed, but would be particularly interested in hearing from anybody that is fluent in French, German or Spanish and would be willing to help out with subtitles.

First thing’s first, please could people complete the following sentence and add a second sentence explaining why.

Solid plan! We definitely have people on here with those language skills.

The thing I love most about Shenmue is the friendships Ryo rejects and establishes.

In the first he has people who care about him but he distanced himself from them and it's quite sad, you can feel his self inflicted loneliness in his quest. In the second he starts to loosen up bit by bit, still blocking most out, but also moments of enjoyment. The bromance with Ren an obvious favorite. He doesn't judge his morals like say Xiuying, maybe that's why they end up a bit closer.
Then he meets Shenhua and you really start to see a difference in how he communicates.

Great work so far @tomboz . I'll go on record to say its great to see this getting off the ground. What I will say is when it's ready to go live etc, and I'm sure you've thought of this, make sure the video is watermarked/got your tag on it. We'd share it everywhere but I want to be sure the credit goes to the right person.

As for Shenmue.

The first thing I love about Shenmue is because it was the first time I felt a game drew me into a living breathing world. I felt Ryos pain, I felt his friendships and I could relate to everything the story was telling me. That's without including the Arcade where I blew my time.

Shenmue 2 was different. I was in awe of the scale of the game. It was huge, I felt lost, exactly like Ryo would have. As the game went on it became about much more than vengeance. That said when Lan Di flew off I remember feeling pissed that I didnt get a crack at him. The same as Ryo did.

Great work so far @tomboz . What I will say is when it's ready to go live etc, and I'm sure you've thought of this, make sure the video is watermarked/got your tag on it. We'd share it everywhere but I want to be sure the credit goes to the right person.
Appreciate the concern, but I really don’t have any interest in taking credit for this. I’m hoping that it will end up being more of a team effort anyway.

Thank you both for sharing anyway. Please keep them coming everyone. Ideally we’ll get a lot of different voices and opinions shared here so the more the merrier.

What I love most about Shenmue...

The practicality of the world and investigative puzzles; find out about Wude, speak to martial artists; to find three blades, speak to professionals.

As deeply (perhaps not meant for the scope of campaign to attract new curious/casual audience) as using the kung fu lessons to achieve success. Ryo's personal path to martial art enlightenment also soothes and improves you as the player and even might in real life (mind clear as a polished mirror, etc).

The deep lore, as well, such as daily routines or real weather in Japan--the NPC, weather and day cycle in general for either game--or the ancient Chinese inspirations; mostly, the Dynatic historical references and ... will elaborate later. Going to have a think and sleep on it.

The thing I love most about Shenmue is the incredible depth. I've spent literally thousands of hours playing the games, and know a ton of stuff about the games, yet every time I play through I discover something new, and it seems as though this discovery will never end.

There's very little I can contribute in terms of marketing but I thought this might be a good promo video. My thought process is that casual gamers are shallow and base things on appearances. So I took what I believe to be the best of the Shenmue clips and splice them together. Please forgive my amateur editing skills as I am new to this.

Credit goes to @Jibby and Dreamcast Tube for allowing me to use part of their Kickstarter videos.

Last edited:
I

I can translate into Spanish, also helping with edition and production

There's very little I can contribute in terms of marketing but I thought this might be a good promo video. My thought process is that casual gamers are shallow and base things on appearances. So I took what I believe to be the best of the Shenmue clips and splice them together. Please forgive my amateur editing skills as I am new to this.

Credit goes to @Jibby for allowing me to use part of his Kickstarter video.

Did something similar myself a while back.

No cinematic masterpiece, by any stretch, but sums up the media we've been shown.

I made a very VERY simple edit which combines the MAGIC 2019 Trailer with the earlier 2018 one - I never liked how Magic's trailer just faded at the end, I feel the one I've made one covers Bailu Village then leads into nicely Choubu - This was before the IGN Japan footage & sadly has the August date at the end, so I might re-upload and change that:

Back